Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,798,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses (2063 Views)

Kano Speaker Resigns Over Emir Sanusi’s Removal Saga - / House Of Rep Summons Fashola Over Epileptic Power Supply / Ikunyi Awaji-Ibani, Rivers Speaker Resigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by mostyg(m): 12:08pm On Aug 02, 2015
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/08/australia-speaker-resigns-ridiculous-expenses-150802090022424.html

The speaker of Australia's House of Representatives has resigned her post following weeks of accusations that she used taxpayer money to pay for extravagant and unnecessary travel.

Bronwyn Bishop has faced fierce criticism after it emerged last month that she spent more than $3,650 to charter a helicopter for an 80km trip to a golf course to attend a fundraiser for the ruling Liberal Party, rather than drive the 90-minute route.

Bishop subsequently apologised for what she called the "ridiculous" expense and repaid the money.

However, scrutiny over her other travel expenses continued, including claims that she charged taxpayers for travel costs associated with trips to attend weddings; she later said she would repay those expenses as well.

On Sunday, Sydney's Daily Telegraph reported that Bishop had used more than $190,000 of taxpayers' money over the past five years to be driven around in chauffeured cars, limousines and private-plated vehicles.

Related: Can Australian MP survive the laughs from 1,000 memes?

The Finance Department is investigating whether she violated any rules.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who announced Bishop's resignation, said there would be a review of entitlements for politicians in the wake of the scandal.

"It won't just be tinkering with the system," he told reporters. "Plainly, the system that we have is deficient. The public deserves to be absolutely confident taxpayers' money is not being abused."

Bishop said her resignation was effective immediately. She will continue to serve as an MP for the ruling Conservative Party, representing her local district.

"I have not taken this decision lightly," Bishop said in a statement. "It is because of my love and respect for the institution of parliament and the Australian people that I have resigned as speaker."

Bishop had served as speaker since 2013.

Source: AP
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/08/australia-speaker-resigns-ridiculous-expenses-150802090022424.html
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by Rexsul: 12:09pm On Aug 02, 2015
wonderin if Dogara cn do dat cry

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by kingkendrick(m): 12:09pm On Aug 02, 2015
Ok
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by freshness2020: 12:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
I for say....I was thinking it happened in Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by mrborntodoit: 12:15pm On Aug 02, 2015
A Nigerian house of reps memmber wouldnt resign until he/she is sacked grin

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by cutesmilez(f): 12:18pm On Aug 02, 2015
"It is because of my
love and respect for the institution of parliament and the Australian people that I have
resigned as speaker." This is what I call governance.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 02, 2015
OP modify ur rubbish topic!!! Av just wasted my mb for nothing!

Mostyg no vex me nxt time
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by holatin(m): 12:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
not in naija
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by gambit10: 12:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
in Nigeria, some useless soul would have started defending her actions....this is a sane clime where the people united against the government, put them on their toes always
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by UnknownT: 5:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
Dogara flew a private jet to go commission an altar in Delta State. cool well, its more than 90minutes car trip
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:43pm On Aug 02, 2015
Ekweremadu should humbly resign before the law catch him
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by ifeegee(f): 6:15pm On Aug 02, 2015
I feel disappointed, I thought it's one of our own house of rep.
Re: House Of Rep. Speaker Resigns Over 'ridiculous' Expenses by mostyg(m): 6:46pm On Aug 02, 2015
ifeegee:
I feel disappointed, I thought it's one of our own house of rep.

Why would you want Dogara to resign?

(1) (Reply)

Photo:jonathan Set Us Up To Lose –alhaji Mujahideen Asari Dokubo / SHOCK: What Happened In Rivers State Yesterday,13 Dead / Ministerial Screening: Ex. President Obasanjo's Intelligent Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.