Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,542 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water (1030 Views)

Housewives Bathe Each Other With Hot Water Over Lover (photos) / Wife Pours Hot Water On Husband For Denying Her Sex For 3 Weeks (photo) / Wife Bathes Husband With Hot Water For Sleeping With Her Mother (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by Sleekbaby(f): 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2015
I don't actually know where to post this but I know that family nairalanders might be of help.

Plz can someone explain the secret behind this phenomenon, I noticed that when you boil water and pour it in a glass the glass will break immediately but when you put a spoon inside the tumbler before pouring the water nothing will happen.
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by Blizzyblinkzy(f): 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2015
I don't knw abt it.
Will give it a try
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by akaglue(f): 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2015
I think because spoon takes out the vapour.
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by DonOms(m): 2:15pm On Aug 04, 2015
The hot water poured into a glass cup makes heat transfer into the thickness of the glass (and tend to expand the glass molecules). The outside of the glass remains relatively cold to the inside. If the heat difference is large enough, it creates a pressure on the glass that cracks/breaks it. The metal spoon simply transfers the heat from the water to itself by conduction thereby lowering the heat in the water. This in turn reduce the pressure due to lower heat difference and glass doesn't break.

6 Likes

Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by PenAndPaper: 2:17pm On Aug 04, 2015
DonOms:
The hot water poured into a glass cup makes heat transfer into the thickness of the glass (and tend to expand the glass molecules). The outside of the glass remains relatively cold to the inside. If the heat difference is large enough, it creates a pressure on the glass that cracks/breaks it. The metal spoon simply transfers the heat from the water to itself by conduction thereby lowering the heat in the water. This in turn reduce the pressure due to lower heat difference and glass doesn't break.
Very correct sir
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by Kimoni: 5:13pm On Aug 04, 2015
DonOms:

Fantastic explanation!
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by tpiander: 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2015
its called shared burden.

the spoon takes on some of the pressure, hence the glass remains intact.

did this really call for a thread?

I'm sure its on google.

try to theorize about things that can help make Nigeria developed, not all this nanotechnical jumbo.

you nor even put am for science section, na for inside family and general section you dump am.

nbo ni won tin ko enyin enyan yi wa?
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by ayoi: 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
@tpiander dat isn't nanotechnology it's jst basic physics.
Re: The Secret Behind Glass Tumbler And Hot Water by tpiander: 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2015
noted.

(1) (Reply)

2 Children Burn To Death At Osun Fuel Station (Picture) / Choosing A Life Partner-Olawunmi Esan / DOMESTIC PUNISHMENT By A Wife To Her HUSBAND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.