Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,499 members, 7,808,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions (14157 Views)

Throwback Pic Of Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai, Others In The 80s / Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 4:45pm On Mar 19, 2009
This thread is created as a questions and answers session to clarify or inform people about Nigerian footie in the '80s & 90's.

I will encourage some specific members who are believe witness and are well grounded about those glorious days to partake in this. The list goes thus

1) Dr Kit (2) HNIC (3) Rikkyjen (4) DayoBayern (5) Manu4life (6)AkinAlabi (7) Tkb and (cool My humble sef

I can handle Leventis United from birth in 1982 to death in 1987, Sutin stars from 1983 to 1996, Abiola babes(from birth to Death). All Nigeria national teams from 1982 to 2006 among others.

Keep the question rolling.

Its time to learn from ourselves.

Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 4:51pm On Mar 19, 2009
Akolawole:

This thread is created as a questions and answers session to clarify or inform people about Nigerian footie in the '80s.

I will encourage some specific members who are believe witness and are well grounded about those glorious days to partake in this. The list goes thus

1) Dr Kit (2) HNIC (3) Rikkyjen (4) DayoBayern (5) Manu4life and (6) My humble sef

I can handle Leventis United from birth in 1982 to death in 1987, Sutin stars from 1983 to 1996, Abiola babes(from birth to Death). All Nigeria national teams from 1982 to 2006 among others.

Keep the question rolling.

Its time to learn from ourselves.

I doubt all the names listed above know as much as i do about Nigerian football league/National team. . . . . .
I can hanfle Leventis United from 1982 till 1987 when they got disbanded. . . . .I can handle Shooting Stars from 1976 till date.
Naija National team from 1980 till Berti Vogts took over.
In short. . . . . . .My knowledge pool of Naija footie is twice the size of TEXAS. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 4:56pm On Mar 19, 2009
I doubt all the names listed above know as much as i do about Nigerian football league/National team. . . . . .
I can hanfle Leventis United from 1982 till 1987 when they got disbanded. . . . .I can handle Shooting Stars from 1976 till date.
Naija National team from 1980 till Berti Vogts took over.
In short. . . . . . .My knowledge pool of Naija footie is twice the size of TEXAS.
iwo bawo? wetin u know?

Akin Alabi and my humble sef can try.
I can handle Abiola babes also
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 5:00pm On Mar 19, 2009
tkb417:

iwo bawo? wetin u know?

Akin Alabi and my humble sef can try.
I can handle Abiola babes also

Abiola Babes. . . . .
Leventis United
BCC Lions of Gboko
Ranchers Bees
Mighty Jets
Stationery Stores
Calabar Rovers
Bendel Insurance
Spartans of Owerri before they became Iwanyanwu. . . .

Are u shitting me?? Akola doesn't even know these clubs. grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 5:01pm On Mar 19, 2009
Abiola Babes. . . . .
Ranchers Bees
Mighty Jets
Calabar Rovers
Bendel Insurance
Spartans of Owerri before they became Iwanyanwu. . . .

Are u shitting me??
is that all you know?
who was Abiola babes goalie b4 they got disbanded by MKO?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 5:02pm On Mar 19, 2009
tkb417:

is that all you know?
who was Abiola babes goalie b4 they got disbanded by MKO?

Raymond King or Edward Ansah.
King used to be the goalie but then Leventis got disbanded and Ansah made a move to Abiola babes.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 5:06pm On Mar 19, 2009
@Tkb

I knew Akin can handle it but he is off/on here

@Sharoun

I thought you say you were 22 last year.

Let me remind you, stuffs in those times cannot be googled grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

King used to be the goalie but then Leventis got disbanded and Ansah made a move to Abiola babes.

Are you sure?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 5:09pm On Mar 19, 2009
Akolawole:

@Sharoun

I thought you say you were 22 last year.

Let me remind you stuffs in those times cannot be googled grin

Akola, it's not about age. . . . . . .I saw Video tapes of all em FA Cup S/finals and Final, Tessema Cups, Under 17& under 21(85.87,89)
Green Eagles futile campaign to qualify for the world cup.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 5:11pm On Mar 19, 2009
uve been asking people on YIMs but tell me the answer.

i know u sauron, you dont know these things
lemme ask what you cant possibly know

erm. and pls dont respond in not more than 2mins
who was the last 9ja representative in sekou toure competition b4 the tourney was later re-named.

Akola
Sauron wont know these things. Im sure he has people he'll ask over the fone or YIM
people like you grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 5:14pm On Mar 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

Akola, it's not about age. . . . . . .[b]I saw Video tapes of [/b]all em FA Cup S/finals and Final, Tessema Cups, Under 17& under 21(85.87,89)
Green Eagles futile campaign to qualify for the world cup.

Video tapes is rubbish man

Do you know why i limit those years? because i may not be able to answer some "Behind the scene questions"

If i give you 20 questions in each of the claimed categories, you wont be able to open your mouth even if i give you 24 hours. You want to bet? grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 5:19pm On Mar 19, 2009
Sauron
you want to use 1 hour to answer. Nobody can help you shey? grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 5:22pm On Mar 19, 2009
Akolawole:

Video tapes is rubbish man
Do you know why i limit those years? because i may not be able to answer some "Behind the scene questions"
If i give you 20 questions in each of the claimed categories, you wont be able to open your mouth even if i give you 24 hours. You want to bet? grin

Why are Video tapes rubbish?? I saw the game you saw on TV. . . . . . .What has changed??
Gimme 20 questions on the claimed categories and i would help you answer em clearly n concisely.
Don't ask me when Rasheed Yekini met his wife and stuffs, abeg. . . . .Ask me what was on the pitch. Leave personal questions out.

tkb417:

uve been asking people on YIMs but tell me the answer.

Why would i ask anyone about Naija footie??

i know u sauron, you dont know these things
lemme ask what you cant possibly know

Hehehehehe. . . . . .
Akola knows i can crack any Naija schitzo between 1976 and 2006.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by kaypumpin2(m): 5:26pm On Mar 19, 2009
Where is Raymond King and Bode William of Abiola Babes presently? grin

Nice thread though and i commend your initiative.Those when men were boys and Nigerian clubs cum soccer league had substance.The reason for this is not far-fetched,when you have the core of your national team plying their trade in thier home land,of course your league can not but be a beauty to behold.Not just in the eye of the beer holder.

Andrew Uwe,Owolabi,Segun Odegbami,Christian Chukwu et al all gave us nostalgic moments we will not forget in a hurry.Even in the late 80's and early 90's,things were not this bad.I could remember vividly the fierce rivalry between Super Stores and Flying Antelope.Collins Ebitimi(Barbwire) vs Charles Anazodo.A match slated for 4pm naija time @ the national stadium in Surulere and you couldn't get entrances anymore as early as 1pm. :oOh how i miss the notorious popular side at the national stadium,Surulere.Where everyone is a pundit cum analyst.

BCC Lion and Enyimba gave us somethings to be proud of by winning laurels in the later part of the 90's and 2000's but then what has happened now?

All players MUST ply their trade overseas even players in mauritius will get better media coverage before they can be looked at.talk about the second slave trade tongue
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 5:28pm On Mar 19, 2009
@Kay
nice one jare. Good overview for the thread
oya, Sauron answer my easy question na

or u wanna have a go at me? ask anything
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 5:32pm On Mar 19, 2009
tkb417:

oya, Sauron answer my easy question na

or u wanna have a go at me? ask anything

U are funny. . . . . . You are asking me 1996/7 question and you don't expect me to know??
Shooting Stars were the last team to do well in that competition from Nigeria when they lost narrowly to Zamalek(pen shoot out) in the 1996 edition.
The competition was renamed in 1997. wink
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by kaypumpin2(m): 5:39pm On Mar 19, 2009
Akola,

Abiola babes is believed to be plagued with one curse in relative to their proprietor's(MKO Abiola)presence whenever they were playing those days,what is the acclaimed curse? grin

What is Moses Kpakor's nickname in those days when he was playing his trade with BCC Lion of Gboko?

Friday Ekpo played for a Gabonese team,what is the name of the team?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by HNIC(m): 5:43pm On Mar 19, 2009
@ Sauron
Try this for starters.
Cast your mind back to 1984
2nd leg,3sc vs Zamalek at the National Stadium Surulere.
Zamalek took a 2-0 lead into the match from the 1st leg in Cairo.
Who were the Centre back pairing for Shooting Stars in that memorable match?
[sub] can't find it in any search engine grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 5:48pm On Mar 19, 2009
HNIC:

@ Sauron
Try this for starters.

I saw this game on Video tape.
The match was played in the afternoon cos Ibadan touts believed the Arabs would have difficulty playing in the hot sunshine. . . .
Anyways, Nigeria lost when a Nigerian defender scored an own goal.
U think i dunno [i]Baba Eleran [/i]who was singing before the match that Zamalek players will go blind during the game??

Look at these smallies challenging Sauron's intelligence. . . .
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 19, 2009
ogb
HNIC:

@ Sauron
Try this for starters.

ogbein Fawole (scored the own goal) and Taiwo Ogunjobi
kay_pumpin:

Akola,

Abiola babes is believed to be plagued with one curse in relative to their proprietor's(MKO Abiola)presence whenever they were playing those days,what is the acclaimed curse? grin

What is Moses Kpakor's nickname in those days when he was playing his trade with BCC Lion of Gboko?

Friday Ekpo played for a Gabonese team,what is the name of the team?

They never win the Challenge Cup
Police
FC 105
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 6:04pm On Mar 19, 2009
U are funny. . . . . . You are asking me 1996/7 question and you don't expect me to know??
Shooting Stars were the last team to do well in that competition from Nigeria when they lost narrowly to Zamalek(pen shoot out) in the 1996 edition.
The competition was renamed in 1997.

it wasnt called Sekou Toure cup in 1996. It was African cup of champions i think or champions cup.
try again

Kay
Friday Ekpo played for AS SOGARA of Gabon
Moses Kpakpor? cant remember
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Ibime(m): 6:04pm On Mar 19, 2009
HNIC:

@ Sauron
Try this for starters.

In 1984, Sauron was a sperm.  grin
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Sauron1: 6:09pm On Mar 19, 2009
Ibime:

In 1984, Sauron was a sperm.  grin

Heheheheheh. . . . . . U weren't even produced yet then. . . .
1984, Ibime was a single cell waiting to be called upon for the 'Winner takes all' RACE. grin grin grin grin

tkb417:

it wasnt called Sekou Toure cup in 1996. It was African cup of champions i think or champions cup.
try again

It was Sekou Toure abeg. . . . . .He donated the trophy!!!
I can't remember when the name was changed anyways but i know one African football competition was Sekou Toure.
It was renamed in 1997(i think). . . . . .3SC led by Amodu Shuaibu lost in the final in 1996 and the competition was changed to CAF Champions League.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by A40(m): 6:19pm On Mar 19, 2009
kay_pumpin:

Where is Raymond King and Bode William of Abiola Babes presently? grin

Nice thread though and i commend your initiative.Those when men were boys and Nigerian clubs cum soccer league had substance.The reason for this is not far-fetched,when you have the core of your national team plying their trade in thier home land,of course your league can not but be a beauty to behold.Not just in the eye of the beer holder.

Andrew Uwe,Owolabi,Segun Odegbami,Christian Chukwu et al all gave us nostalgic moments we will not forget in a hurry.Even in the late 80's and early 90's,things were not this bad.I could remember vividly the fierce rivalry between Super Stores and Flying Antelope.Collins Ebitimi(Barbwire) vs Charles Anazodo.A match slated for 4pm naija time @ the national stadium in Surulere and you couldn't get entrances anymore as early as 1pm. :oOh how i miss the notorious popular side at the national stadium,Surulere.Where everyone is a pundit cum analyst.

BCC Lion and Enyimba gave us somethings to be proud of by winning laurels in the later part of the 90's and 2000's but then what has happened now?

All players MUST ply their trade overseas even players in mauritius will get better media coverage before they can be looked at.talk about the second slave trade tongue
Nigeria was still good back in them days now! Life was easy and Naija was not as crazy as it is now the economy is to blame not forgetting the people that run our football who could not see beyond their freckled noses
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by ow11(m): 6:27pm On Mar 19, 2009
tkb417:

try again

Kay
Friday Ekpo played for AS SOGARA of Gabon
Moses Kpakpor? cant remember

Some papers still called it Sekou Toure but maybe it did change in 92 when Abiola donated the CAF cup then CAF decided to call the Sekou Toure Cup, African Champions cup even though the Sekou Toure name still stuck.

Ekpo played the for Shell d'Gabon in that famous match where they beat Iwuanyanwu Nationale in the 1st leg of their game, I think that was 94 when Nationale lost to Esperance in that semi-final after the plane crash.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 6:28pm On Mar 19, 2009
@Kay_Pumping

I think those questions are meant for Sharoun and his likes grin

If you attach a gift/money to it, i will answer it but dont waste your money

@Sharoun
Take this one home as your coursework grin

Shooting stars was relegated from first division sometimes in the '80s. A prominent player was involved in them going down. Who is this player? One particular match decided their fate. What match was that? One Rich man was rumoured to be involved. Who is this man? I need about 150 words on this.

Submission date: Tommorow @ 2000hrs GMT

Hint: Go and ask old man grin

Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by kaypumpin2(m): 6:34pm On Mar 19, 2009
@ EASTBAY.

Nice one but the right answer to the Friday Ekpo question was given by Owl;Shell d'Gabon

But the other 2 were spot on.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by tkb417(m): 6:36pm On Mar 19, 2009
Some papers still called it Sekou Toure but maybe it did change in 92 when Abiola donated the CAF cup then CAF decided to call the Sekou Toure Cup, African Champions cup even though the Sekou Toure name still stuck.

yeah exactly

Ekpo played the for Shell d'Gabon in that famous match where they beat Iwuanyanwu Nationale in the 1st leg of their game, I think that was 94 when Nationale lost to Esperance in that semi-final after the plane crash.
was it Shell or AS Sogara?
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by kaypumpin2(m): 6:40pm On Mar 19, 2009
It was Shell tkb,unless they have a Gabonese nomenclature that i am oblivious of
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by ow11(m): 6:42pm On Mar 19, 2009
Akola,

Please add 90s to the thread title, DSTV only become popular in the 21st century.
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by Akolawole(m): 6:50pm On Mar 19, 2009
ow11:

Akola,

Please add 90s to the thread title, DSTV only become popular in the 21st century.

Done
Re: Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions by kaypumpin2(m): 7:03pm On Mar 19, 2009
ow11:

Akola,

Oh how i miss the days of Emeka Odikpo/Radio Nigeria.And the Cicero of Nigerian football radio commentaries;Ernest Okonkwo.Now naija journalism is left in the hand of those lukewarm commentators who can't get articulate to save their lives.Alll i hear on TV nowadays is "he losses the ball momentarily "embarassed

My coach/team of the late 90's is Ahmoudu/BCC Lion of Gboko.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Super Falcons Progress Sabotaged For Selfish Interest / WAFCON 2022: Ajibade Voted Woman Of The Match In Super Falcons’ Win Vs Cameroon / AFCON 2023: Onuachu Replaces Injured Sadiq In Nigeria’s Squad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.