Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) (123603 Views)

My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City / Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by sped1oro(m): 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
nice follow-up tread
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by mathinips(m): 9:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
I really love this. I will try dz out soon. I hope I can get good hands and advice from Nairalander then
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by eaglechild: 10:02pm On Aug 07, 2015
OP nice job.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by SirAlfred(m): 10:16pm On Aug 07, 2015
We need more of this from our youths. op well done.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by simps(m): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2015
The depth of your pond is shallow and requires beams on the blinding for reinforcement before your block work. If not, ready to battle with crackings. Nice one sha.

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 10:49pm On Aug 07, 2015
Thanks be to God, I have gotten a broodstock that I will use to hatch my fish. Those waiting to eat fish, don't worry, u will surely eat my fish either directly or indirectly, or by invitation. Hope those who will be invited will turn up? I wish to have you. Let's eat, drink and drink. Nigeria, we are one. Add me on whatsapp, 07067960823.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by sainty2k3(m): 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
Calyb:
Thanks be to God, I have gotten a broodstock that I will use to hatch my fish. Those waiting to eat fish, don't worry, u will surely eat my fish either directly or indirectly, or by invitation. Hope those who will be invited will turn up? I wish to have you. Let's eat, drink and drink. Nigeria, we are one. Add me on whatsapp, 07067960823.
Bros , pls what is the cost of this kind of pond
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by emekaxy: 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
Calyb:

I don't intend growing the catfish till it get to 2kg each. I will only train them for 3-4 months before selling them out immediately. Well I may wish to select few to outgrow them in a selected pond, but will definately reduce them their number in the pond. Thanks a lot

Now you finally agree with Apitch, im not into fishery but u wud have paused and make more findings when Apitch raised a point of order, rather u ruled him out of order just as Senator Saraki constantly rule Senator Marafa out of other.

Now another twist of 1kg and 2kg is coming up. My own point is since u have all this space in the site u wud have increased it once and for all instead of saying u are a fishery graduate and all that bla bla bla.....

My dear theory and practical experience are two difference things.

All the same wish you well, I like your confidence and entrepreneurial skills

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by chimoskyg(m): 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
Wonderful work @op
After following the from the beginning I noticed the size has been the subject of argument which are great ideas thou.
Pls what is the best size bond for 1000 pcs of fish.
Thanks all grin
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2015
tucky200:

It school..u that went to school (no *offense*)
it is not "it school" it is "its school"now i can see both of you didnt go to school *smiles and drops mic*

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by janco: 11:21pm On Aug 07, 2015
You know you can go for less expensive versions and sill hit your target faster.
Concrete ponds are very expensive and takes longer time to recoupe investment cost.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by jites(m): 11:22pm On Aug 07, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
it is not "it school" it is "its school"now i can see both of you didnt go to school *smiles and drops mic*

haha where is the apostrophe in your didn't na, shwo na wa o, na English matter we come dey discuss here hehehehe, idonbilivit

7 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by IDnoble1: 11:23pm On Aug 07, 2015
Calyb:

Earthen pond is better than concrete ponds base on some factors. Earth pond has supplimentary feeds like adequate zooplanktons which will reduce the amount of feed given to them. Adequate planktons are also available which provide deplited oxygen for respiration. But concrete ponds also have their advantages over earthen ponds.
Bror,may I know those advantages of concrete ponds over earthen pond?

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Nobody: 11:33pm On Aug 07, 2015
jites:

haha where is the apostrophe in your didn't na, shwo na wa o, na English matter we come dey discuss here hehehehe, idonbilivit
i am still in school grin
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Piro4rl(m): 11:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
Gud job.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by rezzy: 11:41pm On Aug 07, 2015
jites:

I was thinking the same. No apostrophe in its school.

Its school is not the same as *it's school*. Abi? English students where una?

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by tucky200(m): 11:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
it is not "it school" it is [b]"its school"[/b]now i can see both of you[b]*didnt*[/b]go to school *smiles and drops mic*
lol,u just troway 2 bombs mr man... nobody is above mistake ok? his was completely different
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by rezzy: 11:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
SAVEDBABA:

It's school not its school.

I don confuse too shocked
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Nobody: 11:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
tucky200:
lol,u just troway 2 bombs mr man... nobody is above mistake ok? his was completely different
ok sir grin
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Afolabi78: 12:13am On Aug 08, 2015
you should have use tapolin pond is less expensive and it will give move space and it is mobile,

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 12:17am On Aug 08, 2015
IDnoble1:

Bror,may I know those advantages of concrete ponds over earthen pond?
Its more easy to handle fish in concrete ponds than in earthen pond, in terms of harvesting, sorting etc. It does not waste much in maintenance unlike earthen pond.
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Calyb(m): 12:21am On Aug 08, 2015
Afolabi78:
you should have use tapolin pond is less expensive and it will give move space and it is mobile,
Topolin don't last, don't worry about the cost. The money is there, no need to worry.

3 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:32am On Aug 08, 2015
Afolabi78:

What's the price bro?...and measurement too...
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:36am On Aug 08, 2015
Calyb:

Topolin don't last, don't worry about the cost. The money is there, no need to worry.

Kindly educate me more about tarpaulin pond and its disadvantages and probably advantages plzzzzz....thankz

1 Like

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Coldplay007(f): 2:38am On Aug 08, 2015
@Calyb.. grin
Nice work you doing here.. grin
But if you really want to improve, you need to change your attitude..
Experience they say is the best teacher, and a lot of people on this forum have a lot of it..

Just my humble opinion.. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by stevnwigw: 3:06am On Aug 08, 2015
Calyb:
Block laying in progress my observers, correct me quick oooooo, the work is moving with a speed of light. Thanks
by this singular pics goes to show you are not fisheries scientist nor technologist cos you don't use a hollow block to construct a fish pond for Gods sake

6 Likes

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by Lakeshizu(m): 4:01am On Aug 08, 2015
stevnwigw:
by this singular pics goes to show you are not fisheries scientist nor technologist cos you don't use a hollow block to construct a fish pond for Gods sake
so na mud blocks him suppose use abi lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by jam04(m): 4:14am On Aug 08, 2015
Well done and I see you are really motivated to see this work out. I like this kind of energy especially from educated folks. it shows agriculture will come up and thrive very well in this country.

Having said that, let us talk straight and frankly here as this is business and I believe you put up this thread to seek clarification and recommendation(s) where necessary. I am a practising fish farmer with over 5 years experience, I have trained and consulted for people and I believe I am in a good position to make the following recommendation:

1) Your pond size can't take 1000pcs of fishes to 4 months. From your replies, you only focus on water management. Water is not the only factor considered when stocing cat fish. You consider spacing, growth rate, atmospheric air exchange and fish type. Do you know a typical fish pond is a habitat and food chain exist? If your fishes are not well spaced, they will compete for everything available inside that pond for survival including oxygen.
They will fight often as their territory clashes and this will lead to mortality. Catfishes are voracious eaters and they tend to attack one another to exhibit dominance. When they are jammed together, disease spread is quick and your fishes will suffer from weakness and inability to feed properly. We all know where this will lead to.
If you wish I can continue with the comprehensive literature on why adequate spacing is required for catfish. I haven't talk about fish type and feeding habit. there are different spacing requirement for hetero species as well. Let me know if more literature is required and I will humbly say more

2) With this kind of pond you have, your fishes CAN NOT attain 1KG in 4 months. You can only achieve that with shooters and you can only get 1000 shooters from fries stock of 50,000 and breeders know the stress and financial implication of raising 50,000 fries. This is a practically proven fact.
What you will probably stock if you a good fish farmer is mixture of shooters, runners and crawlers. Feed them with even 80 percent protein from fingerlings to adult, you can not attain 1kg in 4months with a concrete pond. And we all know the implication of a high protein fed meal for an encamped fish.
So I don't know the kind of literature you must have read, i am sorry to burst the bubble. Please accept this practical fact to avoid losses or heartbreak at the end of 4 months.

I will stop here for now as these are my observations on the thread so far. I will add more as you progress. I am a staunch advocate of earthen pond as fishes feel more at home compared to concrete or taupalin ponds. Not everywhere is suitable to raise catfish just like not every land is suitable for cassava or soyabean or rice cultivation. Farmers move to areas where these crops can be planted and grow them. Why can't fish farmers also search out lands suitable for raising catfish? We must change our mindset that since catfishes have strong adaptation capabilities they can be raised anywhere.
In all I wish you well and happy fishing

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by ican2020: 4:58am On Aug 08, 2015
Continue, please
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by atoleybaba(m): 6:20am On Aug 08, 2015
Calyb:

I don't intend growing the catfish till it get to 2kg each. I will only train them for 3-4 months before selling them out immediately. Well I may wish to select few to outgrow them in a selected pond, but will definately reduce them their number in the pond. Thanks a lot
3-4months old? I pray u make ur money
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by atoleybaba(m): 6:24am On Aug 08, 2015
Calyb:

My able Apitch, I said I will not allow the fish to reach 2kg before selling. Am only targeting 1kg per fish. Withing 3-4 months, I will achieve it with proper management. Thanks.
na jazz? 1000 fish in that pond to attain 1kg in 3months Lmao baba leave theories that u av learnt in school let people in d business advice u..
Re: Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) by atoleybaba(m): 6:28am On Aug 08, 2015
SAVEDBABA:
it is not "its school" it is "it's school" cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix / How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 100 Broilers / Just Killed This Animal But Don't Know It's Name.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.