Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted (12570 Views)

Nigerian Governors At Presidential Inauguration In Niger Republic (pix) / Assessment Of Some Nigerian Governors In The Year 2015 - Moses Ochonu / Nigerian Governors Meet In Abuja (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 11:47am On Sep 28, 2006
Chxta's World

I think this deserves a thread of its own. . .

I have a class in the next 10 minutes, but the news coming from the motherland is too juicy to ignore. Yesterday, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu the chairman of the EFCC sat before the Senate to present a long awaited report on the activities of the governors of our states. And the report was hot. Below is a summary of who has been indicted, who is still under investigation, and the one man who has been given a clean bill of health.

INDICTED
1) Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia)
2) Boni Haruna (Adamawa)
3) Ayo Fayose (Ekiti)
4) Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu)
5) Saminu Turaki(Jigawa)
6) Adamu Abdullahi (Nassarawa)
7) Joshua Dariye (Plateau)
cool Jolly Nyame (Taraba)
9) Sani Ahmed (Zamfara)

UNDER INVESTIGATION

1) Adamu Mu’azu (Bauchi)
2) James Ibori (Delta)
3) Lucky Igbinedion (Edo)
4) Ahmed Markafi (Kaduna)
5) Bola Tinubu (Lagos)
6) Gbenga Daniel (Ogun)
7) Peter Odili (Rivers)
cool Attahiru Bafarawa (Sokoto)

Clean bill of health [b][/b]
1) Donald Duke (Cross Rivers)

Some may say otherwise, and though I disagree with numbers 2, 3 and 7 of the investigations list (I believe that they should be indicted), while number 5 on the indicted list casts some doubts for me, it is generally a good thing. Forget the fact that Obasanjo is not there (well, he isn't a governor), his time will come.

Meanwhile, may I be permitted to recommend a punishment for item 9 on the indicted list? Amputation?
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by mochafella(m): 11:52am On Sep 28, 2006
Chxta:

INDICTED
9) Sani Ahmed (Zamfara)

Meanwhile, may I be permitted to recommend a punishment for item 9 on the indicted list? Amputation?

Recommendation accepted. grin
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 12:00pm On Sep 28, 2006
Thank you. (Please can you make that recommendation on me blog?)

Meanwhile, I am one of the 10. . .
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by buchio7(m): 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2006
You no c ppl? How can a govnor embezzle so brazenly without recourse to the well-being of his ppl?
as yourightly said,odili shd be on dat list as well as attah in my own opinion , ohhhh!!!!
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Afam(m): 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2006
Maybe the EFCC is still looking for more evidence to move the following: Igbinedion, Ibori and Odili to the appropriate section.

Those in authority I believe delibrately make things difficult for the masses so that we will be busy looking for money to feed and not having the time to ask questions.

I hope they pass the FOI bill so that every single action of these men can be exposed and at the end of the day onyl those that are interested in serving will seek elective offices.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by TayoD(m): 1:51pm On Sep 28, 2006
where do the other Governors lie?
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Odeku(m): 2:12pm On Sep 28, 2006
Where are the OBJ and EFCC bashing people,I guess all this Governors were told to embezzled by OBJ, and I guess they were all against the third term as well. Good job RIBADU we hail the KUDOS, and for the governors that are been defensive while fear if their is not skeleton in your cupboard?
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by saintchux(m): 2:15pm On Sep 28, 2006
How can Odili be indicted??

He sponsored Obasanjo's son wedding with River state money and is not budget for.

My problem with EFCC is they send anyone standing against OBJ who is corrupt to hell and while  those that support him is sent to purgatory where they will confess their sin and got forgiveness.

How can you tell me that you are still inviestigating Ibori. How can EFCC that said that peter odili is a crook is still investigating him. What yard stick do EFCC used to arrive in this report.

http://elendureports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=227&Itemid=29

I will not swear that Donald Duke is not corrupt, be I can beat my chest and say that he is good.  But those they listed under investigation, TUFIAKWA!!!!. They used wuruwuru to arrive at the answer.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Nutter(m): 4:11pm On Sep 28, 2006
Before rushing to clink wineglasses, I think we should focus concern on the outcome of this process – as in who is actually going to jail and for how long? The Tafa Balogun matter left a very bitter taste in my mouth and has done its bit to reinforce my cynicism. We are still very far from ‘Uhuru’!
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Abeem(m): 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2006
Nutter:

Before rushing to clink wineglasses, I think we should focus concern on the outcome of this process – as in who is actually going to jail and for how long? The Tafa Balogun matter left a very bitter taste in my mouth and has done its bit to reinforce my cynicism. We are still very far from ‘Uhuru’!

That is what men of wisdom are wont to do - cross fingers, siddon look and watch actions as they unfold and don't just jump into conclusions. As for me, I think of the timing of the release of the information as a deft political calculation meant to buy Ribadu and his oga OBJ reprieve in the wake of the unsavoury comments elicited by the Atiku/OBJ media war and how the EFCC handled the investigation.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by jerrymania(m): 5:47pm On Sep 28, 2006
@Chxta

Good for them!!!! eNUF IS eNUF, God knows the end from the beginning cool
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by donjazzie(m): 6:27pm On Sep 28, 2006
@ topic

to some certain extent you the information you posted was wrong.EFCC has given 6 state governors a clean bill of health while 30 of the have been found wanting with the disbursement of their local government funds.EFCC chairman also stated that the most corrupt individual(looter) in the world was a nigerian in government but as he wanted to mention the name of the person ken nnamani the senate president asked him not to.he also challenged the senate that whoever came out to prove that he was given 50million by anybody for the execution of the third term agenda to come out.this was in a interractive interview with the senate yesterday.2 of the governors with a clean bill of health were donald duke and boni haruna i cant really remember the names of all the governors but enugu state governor has the highest record of misuse of local government funds with the EFCC.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 6:41pm On Sep 28, 2006
k.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by woleaiye(m): 6:48pm On Sep 28, 2006
i read a lot of remarks and i can still see a lot of myopic,baseless,and unconstructive criticisms against EFCC.a lot have sais that EFCC is there for those who are against obasanjo!but if not for our double standards.we want corruption to go,at the same time those that were at the moment cut in the web were crying foul.the question is:did they actually culpable?if yes,then,they need to face the music!i want everybody to one thing:if you are in a position today,you must know that someone is eyeing the position as well.therefore,they will used those your misdeeds to unseat you.i think this is natural.EFCC needs to be commended.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by donmayor(m): 6:53pm On Sep 28, 2006
Indicted, no action. One would have thought these thieving bastards would have stepped down or probably the thieves in their state house of assembly would have commenced impeachment proceedings. All what Nuhu said yesterday is true but let's see what would come out of it. Na naija we still dey. They should please indict Bola Tinubu angry.Lagos has regressed.All I can see around is beautiful large banks, few rich people and many poor people living in congested areas, state licensed touts and useless lastma men.I now see why the enugu govt has been sponsoring adverts that enugu is working, fear of EFCC.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by obua: 6:54pm On Sep 28, 2006
fellow country men , with what I have seen on AIT this afternoon, there is a real wind of change in Nigeria.
Corruption has been given the biggest blow in Nigerian  history.

From the post before mine, I can see that there is a lot of misconception about EFCC and Ribadu and a lot of misinformation.
I think that every Nigerian should seek for  a video record of those 2 1/2 hrs in the senate by Ribadu and lisen to it. I will try to source it and  store somewhere on Nairaland.

Ribadu lists corruption in high placesThursday, 28th September, 2006

A distressing picture of alleged corrupt practices in Nigeria's leadership sector was yesterday painted by the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.Ribadu, at a plenary session of the Senate, said that allegations of corruption were currently being investigated by his commission against some state governors and their officials. He added that petitions had not been received on five states, three of which he named as Cross River, Kogi and Gombe.Ribadu alleged that in Benue State, a government official barged into the office of the State's Commissioner of Police, beat up EFCC operatives and confiscated documents relating to investigations.The states he specifically mentioned where Government officials and council chairmen were under investigation were Abia, Anambra, Benue, Borno, Delta, Ekiti, Edo, Ebonyi, Imo, Jigawa, Kwara, Kano, Lagos, Nassarawa, Niger, Osun, Oyo, Ogun, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Zamfara, among others. He also named Plateau, Rivers, Lagos, Nassarawa, Jigawa, Imo, Delta, Ogun, Benue, Borno as States where the Governors were being investigated.Ribadu announced that cases had been established against officials in 15 states who would soon be charged to court.He described Zamfara State as one of the worst cases that the EFCC is investigating, specifically naming a top official as being involved in direct looting.Ribadu described the allegations against the state and reactions by its top officials as a tragedy.He said that instead of showing contrition, the state Governor, Sani Ahmed, resorted to blackmail. Sani told the British Parliament that he was being pursued by the EFCC because he was set to be the next President, according to Ribadu. All the implicated Governors, except Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Lagos State, were alleged to have perpetrated the offences by misappropriating local government funds.Tinubu's case, the EFCC chairman said, is of international dimension.Though Ribadu claimed that the commission was at present investigating fraud in 31 states, he singled out Cross River as the only state under investigation not to have a corruption case provrn. Welcoming the EFCC chairman to the session, Senate President Ken Nnamani noted the EFCC was instituted to fight corruption in the country and reminded Ribadu that the enabling Act required the agency to submit its report to the National Assembly every September."If the report of the Number Two citizen in our country is a public document, why should the report of state governors, councillors not be available,'' he queried.Nnamani assured Ribadu of the Senate's appreciation of EFCC's efforts. Ribadu claimed that the commission had a 32-page report on alleged fraud in Enugu State.The EFCC chairman, who stated the commission's readiness to go to court on the cases, said that about N8 million per month accruable to the local government councils were never remitted as the State Accountant General preferred paying allocations in cash against financial regulations.He also accused the state administration of over-pricing of about eight projects.On Abia State, he said: "Abia is number one not because it is number one alphabetically but because we have one of the biggest established cases of stealing, money laundering, diversion of funds against Governor Kalu.'' He said the Governor used his mother, daughter, wife and brother to divert N35 billion to build his business empire including Slok Airlines, Slok Pharmaceuticals, and a newspaper house. Commenting also on the corruption case at the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Ribadu said that the EFCC was set to take the case to court.Concluding his testimony, the EFCC boss challenged Nigerians with evidence of corruption on any issue to come forward with evidence, saying that the agency could not be expected to do all.The chamber witnessed a series of dramatic twists as Ribadu looked at all the Senators and challenged them to stand up and mention anybody who gave out N50 million to each of them as alleged during the "third term" saga.The challenge arose from a question that the EFCC appeared to be abandoning the N50 million allegation in pursuit of other less important matters.Ribadu exploded: "Remember that each of you has a responsibility too to expose corruption. People simply make allegation but won't be ready to substantiate it. Tell me now, the name of anybody who has collected the N50 million from anybody and you will see what I will do about it."Total silence immediately descended on the chamber. Instead of taking up the challenge, some Senators who had been vocal in levelling the allegation during the third term saga quietly walked out of the Assembly.On the allegation that the EFCC was being used to fight those who crippled the tenure extension plot, Ribadu said: "This is what normally happens. They say we are selective. Who are we selecting and why? Is it to favour the President? What will he gain from it? Some people say it is because of third term. What is third term? Look at the Senate President, did we touch him?"Also reacting to a question from the Senate Deputy Minority Whip, Abiola Ajimobi, Ribadu said:"The fact that we took the former Inspector General of Police means that we are making impact even at the Federal Government level. Let me tell you that the allegation that we are being selective cannot stand. When we met the London Metropolitan Police and other international security agencies for assistance in the fight against corrupt practices, the first thing they told us was to submit the names of powerful people in Government. "The first name we gave them was that of Mr. President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. That was how (Diepreye) Alameiseigha's case started. (Mohammed Buba) Marwa's case also started from outside. So we have always worked together with the international community. So, if there is that tendency of being selective, it is from the international community." He continued: "We have worked on the Federal Government more than any other tier of Government. We have got even persons very close to the President. And not a single person from the opposition parties has been picked by the commission. But people keep spreading all kinds of rumours instead of being appreciative of the difficult work we are doing."Nnamani had to issue stern warning to Senator Isah Mohammed, who left his seat for that of Senator Sule Yari Gandi to physically challenge Gandi over matters regarding their differences in opinion.The Senate President also intervened when Senator Idris Kuta remarked that it was illegal for the EFCC to collaborate with foreign security agencies to check corruption in Nigeria.Nnamani quickly called Kuta to order and directed the attention of the Senator from Niger State to the fact that the legislative chamber had ratified a treaty entered into by the Federal Government with other countries to fight collaborate in matters of crime prevention.Ribadu also denied insinuations that his commission had no respect for the judiciary, affirming that the EFCC had never violated any court order.He disclosed that the detention of the 24 members of the Plateau House of Assembly was in compliance with an order of the Court.Ribadu also lamented that in many of the states, there had been the practice of illegal diversion of funds from the Executive to the Legislature, adding that such practice was however not operational at the Federal level.***************************

Our findings on Govs, state officials, by EFCC
Adamawa: Petition received from Senator Paul Wanpana, national vice-chairman PDP. Nineteen LGs indicted for involvement in high-scale corruption. Arrangements concluded to charge governor and commissioner for LG and Chieftaincy affairs.
Akwa Ibom: Corruption cases established against some local government officials. No comment on Governor Victor Attah.
Anambra: Mentioned the former Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chris Ngige who was accused of over-pricing of inflation.
Bauchi State: Adamu Mu'azu is also being investigated for contract inflation
Bayelsa State: Governor's wife allegedly involved in money launderingBenue State: Governor physically beat up our officers in the office of the CP and forcibly took away files.
Borno: LGs and Governor being investigated.
Cross Rivers: Two LGs being investigated but exonerated the Governor.
Delta State: Governor James Ibori and 13 local government chairmen being investigated. Progress being made sufficiently in the cases in Delta State.
Ekiti: Illegal diversion of funds, money laundering, foreign accounts operated by the governor and his deputy.
Edo State: Governor being investigated for diversion of statutory allocation and 13 per cent oil revenue.
Ebonyi: Case established against some local government chairmen.
Imo: State officials accused of diverting N56 million from each of 24 local governments for an abandoned road project.
Jigawa: Governor accused of diversion of funds and using stolen funds to sponsor pilgrims to Saudi Arabia for hajj.Kwara: Former Kwara Governor Mohammed Lawal being investigated.
Kogi: Case established against some local government chairmen and the former Governor who ran abroad shortly before he was to be taken to court.
Katsina: Case established against three local government chairmen.
Kano: Two petitions against two local government chairmen.
Kaduna: Case made against the Governor and one local government chairmen for misappropriation of public funds. Governor accused of using his companies to carry out government projects.
Lagos: Governor being investigated on an international case.
Niger: No commentNasarawa: Case established against the Governor and some local government chairmen.
Ondo: No comment
Ogun State: Governor under investigation.
Osun: No comment
Oyo: No commentPlateau:
Plateau State Assembly participated fully and directly took money from the state government.
Rivers: Three Local governments and Governor accused.
Sokoto: Governor and an individual accused of financial misappropriation.
Taraba: Case established against the Governor and State Assembly. Asked on corruption in the Federal Government, he said that the agency had shown its neutrality with the prosecution of some aides of the President even as he reiterated that no case has ever been established against the President.-

Looting: EFCC report indicts 15 governors
By Emmanuel AzikenPosted to the Web: Thursday, September 28, 2006 Sorry, your browser does not support floating frames*Fayose, Jonathan's wife fire backABUJA— AFTER months of investigation of the petitions and allegations of corruption against 31 of the state governors/governments, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), yesterday, handed over to the Senate its findings which established cases of corruption against 15 of the governors. Three former governors were also indicted.Six others are still being investigated, while there is no petition against the rest. One was cleared of the allegations against him.Those said to have a case to answer are:Orji Kalu (Abia),Boni Haruna (Adamawa), Chris Ngige (former governor, Anambra), Ayo Fayose (Ekiti), Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu), Saminu Turaki (Jigawa), Muhammed Lawal (ex-governor, Kwara), Abubakar Audu (ex-governor, Kogi), Ahmed Makarfi (Kaduna), Adamu Abdullahi, Attahiru Bafarawa and Jolly Nyame.During his more than two hours of testimony to the Senate, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, chairman of the EFCC who claimed that the biggest fraudster ever in the world was a Nigerian said the activities of the commission in three years were now giving the country a cleaner image.Giving a run down of the states, Ribadu said three generations of Governor Orji Kalu’s family had been found to be involved in the looting of N35 billion of Abia government funds, which, according to him, was siphoned to establish multinational companies in aviation, pharmaceuticals, shipping and publishing. He cited the governor’s mother, the governor and his daughter, brothers and personal aides in the alleged illegal siphoning of the state’s resources.He described Zamfara State as one of the worst cases facing the commission with the governor of the state, Yerima Sani, fingered as being involved in direct stealing of state funds. He described the allegations against the governor and the counter efforts by governor Sani as a tragedy.Ribadu said instead of showing remorse, the Zamfara governor resorted to blackmail as he quoted him as reporting to the British Parliament that he (Sani) was being pursued by the EFCC because he was set to be the next president.He said the 15 indicted governors would soon be charged to court and that where a local government was indicted, the governor of such state was involved.All the implicated governors with the exception of Governor Ahmed Tinubu of Lagos State were alleged to have perpetrated the offences through the siphoning of their local government accounts. Governor Tinubu’s case, the EFCC boss said, was, however, of an international dimension. He said the EFCC had refused to dabble into the case of the Lagos governor.Though Ribadu claimed that the commission was currently investigating fraud in 31 states, he singled out Governor Donald Duke of Cross River State as the only governor under investigation not to have a corruption case against him.The appearance of the EFCC boss was upon the Senate’s summon on its investigations into allegations of corruption made against Governor Chimaroke Nnamani of Enugu State and officials of his administration and other states.Welcoming him to the Senate session yesterday, the President of the Senate, Chief Ken Nnamani said the EFCC was instituted to fight corruption in the country and reminded him that the enabling Act required the agency to submit its report to the National Assembly every September.“If the report of the number two citizen in our country is a public document, why should the report of state governors, councillors not be available,” Chief Nnamani said as he assured him of the Senate’s appreciation of the agency’s efforts.In his opening remarks, Ribadu thanked the Senate for bringing the agency into existence through the passage of the EFCC Establishment Act in 2004, saying the agency had made remarkable progress in its efforts to eliminate graft.According to him, the commission has received 4,200 petitions on alleged corruption, 1,200 cases were currently under investigation while 406 cases were in court. He claimed that the agency had through its efforts in cleansing the banks recovered over N200 billion from fraudulent bank officials.“If you follow our sequence, you will see that we started by taking the 419 people and they were the people giving the country a bad image. Sometimes you will find them moving with escorts and we went after the kingpins and recovered well over $750 million from them. They were the people compromising the security agencies.“It is only in Nigeria that you hear of people stealing crude oil and by today we have confiscated over 40 oil tankers. A Nigerian caused the change of the financial regulations in the whole world,” Ribadu said, adding: “The number one person who stole the most money in the world is a Nigerian. Unfortunately, there are still many others around.”He noted the case of the Benue State Governor who, he said, physically beat up the commission’s operatives in the office of the state Commissioner of Police in his effort to recover some incriminating files from the operatives.Following his presentation, Senator David Mark (PDP, Benue South) challenged the EFCC boss to name the governors involved as he reminded him that corruption cases against the Vice-President, Senators and a former Senate President were not shielded from public scrutiny.“The name of the Vice-President was mentioned. If our own colleagues can be called then we urge you to name the governors and all those who have been involved including the biggest thief in the world who is a Nigerian,” Senator Mark said.Following the submission, Chief Nnamani reminded the EFCC boss of the Senate’s resolution of Thursday, September 14, 2006 which requires him to provide reports of corruption in Enugu State and other cases involving state governors.Following the reminder, Mallam Ribadu proceeded to give brief details of the governors involved beginning with Enugu State, where he said, acts of alleged corruption had been found against the governor and some of his aides and other officials. Ribadu claimed that the commission had a 32-page report on fraud allegedly perpetrated in Enugu State. He also accused  the state administration of inflating the cost of about eight projects.On Abia State, he said: “Abia is number one not because it is number one alphabetically but because we have one of the biggest established cases of stealing, money laundering, diversion of funds against Governor Kalu,” adding that the governor used his mother, daughter, wife and brother to divert N35 billion to build his business empire including Slok Airlines, Slok Pharmaceuticals, and a newspaper house.On others, he said:Adamawa: Petition received from Senator Paul Wanpana, national vice-chairman PDP and 19 Lgs were indicted for involvement in high-scale corruption. Arrangements concluded to charge governor and Commissioner for LG and Chieftaincy Affairs.Akwa Ibom: Corruption cases established against some local government officials. Silent on Governor Victor Attah.Anambra: Mentioned the former Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chris Ngige, who was accused of inflating contracts.Bauchi: Mu’azu is also being investigated for contract inflation.Bayelsa: Governor’s wife involved in money laundering.Benue: Governor physically beat up our officers in the office of the CP and forcibly took away files.Borno: LGs and governor being investigated.Cross River: two LGs being investigated but exonerated the governor.Delta: Governor James Ibori and 13 local government chairmen being investigated for corruption.Ekiti: Illegal diversion of funds, money laundering, foreign accounts operated by the governor and his deputy.Edo: Governor being investigated for diversion of statutory allocation and 13 per cent oil revenue.Ebonyi : Case established against some local government chairmen.Enugu: Acts of corruption established against governor and some of his aides.Imo: State officials accused of diverting N56 million from each of 24 local governments for an abandoned road project.Jigawa Governor: Accused of diversion of funds and using stolen funds to sponsor pilgrims to Saudi Arabia.Kwara: Former Kwara Gov being investigated.Kogi: Case established against some local government chairmen and the formergovernor who ran abroad shortly before he was to be charged to court.Katsina: Case established against three local government chairmen.Kano: Two petitions against two local government chairmen.Kaduna: Case made against the governor and one local government chairmen for misappropriation of public funds. Governor accused of using his companies to execute government projects.Lagos: Gov being investigated on an international case.Niger:Nasarawa: Case established against the governor and some local government chairmen.Ondo:Ogun  Governor under investigation.Osun:Oyo:Plateau: Plateau State Assembly participated fully and directly took money from the state government.Rivers: Three local governments and governor accused.Sokoto: Governor and an individual accused of financial misappropriation.Taraba: Case established against the governor and state Assembly.Asked about corruption at the Federal level, he said the agency had shown its neutrality with the prosecution of some aides of the president even as he reiterated that no case had ever been established against the President.An attempt by Senator Joy Emodi to know the identity of the Nigerian reputed to be the world’s biggest thief was aborted by the Senate President.“We have investigated his ministers, his law enforcement officers. Up to this moment, no single person from the opposition has been taken to court.“In the case of the Federal Government we have checked, the NNPC, even the security vote we have not seen one case where money could be linked from a government agency to a Senator or a member of the House of Representatives.“It is impossible for us to check the account of every member of the House of Representatives. Between me and my God, I have not seen any trace,” he swore.Commenting also on the corruption case at the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), he said the EFCC was set to take the case to court.He also said EFCC had recovered N50 billion worth of ssets from the impeached governor of Bayelsa tae, Chief  Depreye Alamieyeseigha.Fayose, Duke, Tinubu Jonathan’s wife reactGovernor Donald Duke who is the only state chief executive cleared of allegations against him said last night that he had been vindicated.His spokesman, Joseph Usiaghale told Vanguard on telephone from Calabar last night that the EFCC report that “we’ve been transparent, and honest in our handling of the finances of the state.“Before now, there was the tendency to lump all the governors together. Nobody knew who was who. But now, we’ve been vindicated that we’ve been transparent and honest in our handling of the finances of the state. This should serve as a filip. It is encouraging. It shows that our efforts are not in vain.Also speaking to Vanguard from Ado-Ekiti last night, the Ekiti Commissioner for Information, Mr. Gboyega Oguntuase accused Mallam Ribadu of playing to the gallery. His words: “He is confusing the process of investigation which is the function of EFCC with the process of adjudication which is the function of the court. But he cannot be a judge in his own case.“If not for ill motive matters which ought to have been decided by courts, ought not to be commented upon by Ribadu. Moreover, there is no state earning N17 billion which its governor will convert N11 billion to his own advantage. The reality is that Ribadu is not relying on facts but merely on adversaries of government who are known to be very close to him.”Mrs. Patience Jonathan, wife of the Bayelsa State governor in a statement e-mailed to Vanguard said she would be vindicated.Her spokesperson, Kenneth Ekpelu said: “The first lady wishes to restate her unreserved respect for the institution of the EFCC and wishes Bayelsans and Nigerians at large to continue to support the organisation in its effort to attain a corruption-free Nigeria.“She, however, wishes to point out the need to separate the EFCC’s honest quest for justice from the  posturingof her husband’s opponents who strangely perceive her as the soft spot in his political armour and won’t stop hammering away at her until their decisions to oust him from office are met.”Also, Mr. Dele Alake, Lagos Commissioner for Information and Strategy, reacting yesterday, said: "It is no surprise at all that Asiwaju Tinubu’s name featured prominently in the EFCC report. What would have been news is if his name was missing from that report. Bola Tinubu has been a constant target of the Federal Government because of his persistent fight to deepen democracy, rule of law and most especially fiscal federalism."
Summary of EFCC report on govsINDICTED  

1) Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu)
2) Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia)
3) Boni Haruna (Adamawa)
4) Ayo Fayose (Ekiti)
5) Adamu Abdullahi (Nasarawa)
6) Jolly Nyame (Taraba)
7) Joshua Dariye (Plateau)
cool Sani Ahmed (Zamfara)
9) Saminu Turaki(Jigawa)

UNDER INVESTIGATION1)
Adamu Mu’azu (Bauchi)
2) Peter Odili (Rivers State)
3) Ahmed Markafi (Kaduna)
4) Lucky Igbinedion (Edo)
5) James Ibori (Delta)
6) Bola Tinubu (Lagos)
7) Gbenga Daniel (Ogun)
cool Attahiru Bafarawa (Sokoto)

Clean bill of health1)
Donald Duke (Cross Rivers)
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by PrinceTolu(m): 7:05pm On Sep 28, 2006
Seems like our governors are taking cue from their bosses. I'm not surprised.
My recommended punishment for all is seizure of 3/4 of all assets and properties by the FG. And I'm very sure the remaining governors are not clean. You wait and see.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 7:05pm On Sep 28, 2006
woleaiye:

i read a lot of remarks and i can still see a lot of myopic,baseless,and unconstructive criticisms against EFCC.a lot have sais that EFCC is there for those who are against obasanjo!but if not for our double standards.we want corruption to go,at the same time those that were at the moment cut in the web were crying foul.the question is:did they actually culpable?if yes,then,they need to face the music!i want everybody to one thing:if you are in a position today,you must know that someone is eyeing the position as well.therefore,they will used those your misdeeds to unseat you.i think this is natural.EFCC needs to be commended.

donmayor:

Indicted, no action. One would have thought these thieving bastards would have stepped down or probably the thieves in their state house of assembly would have commenced impeachment proceedings. All what Nuhu said yesterday is true but let's see what would come out of it. Na naija we still dey. They should please indict Bola Tinubu angry.Lagos has regressed.All I can see around is beautiful large banks, few rich people and many poor people living in congested areas, state licensed touts and useless lastma men.I now see why the enugu govt has been sponsoring adverts that enugu is working, fear of EFCC.

The harsh fact remains that as long as they are governors (which is until 1200, May 28, 2007) they can't be touched. And trust me, they won't resign. So I guess we have to wait until then. Problem is that some people would already be putting escape plans in motion. . .
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by donmayor(m): 7:09pm On Sep 28, 2006
U see if we are serious about fighting corruption dat law should be repealed. We are not yet serious, the so called indicted governors would just steal more and keep it cleverly so when they are arrested and released 6 months later like Tafa, they can enjoy the one the almighty EFCC could not find. Why should the governors be immune from prosecution in a country well known for corrupt governors? Nigerians have not started governing themselves, we are just a lawless bunch angry
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by donjazzie(m): 7:12pm On Sep 28, 2006
Chxta:

The harsh fact remains that as long as they are governors (which is until 1200, May 28, 2007) they can't be touched. And trust me, they won't resign. So I guess we have to wait until then. Problem is that some people would already be putting escape plans in motion. . .

na so eh be now. and it's real painful the house of assemblies can impeach their governors found wanting so that prosecution would kick against them.in the whole thing we still require some constitutional ammendment to reduce powers of executives and give more powers to legislators.so that our executive will not keep buying them over and impeach anybody that has errored(dnt care abt the error thing)eh dey pain mi
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 7:17pm On Sep 28, 2006
Let me put it like this Donmayor, a former governor of Illinois was tried and sentenced some 15 years after office. So why can't that happen in Naija?

Some say justice delayed is justice denied. I don't necessarily agree with that.

Like I said before, their time would come. . .
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by nwamaranma: 7:19pm On Sep 28, 2006
[/color][color=#006600]interesting. what about achike udenwa (imo state). God is looking into our problems [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Nutter(m): 7:24pm On Sep 28, 2006
Obua,

If you can get a source for the video that'd be great. Thanks.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Roscodaddy(m): 7:27pm On Sep 28, 2006
This is really like a Nigerian Home Video,how can Ribadu say there is no oil money missing at this time,where is Zeb Ejiro and Jeta Amata and all the Independent movie producers,this na one obonge comedy.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2006
I'll be waiting for said video as well. . .
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Roscodaddy(m): 7:38pm On Sep 28, 2006
Is it not the same Ribadu that said sometime back that all members of the house was corrupt,now he has changed mouth that nobody in the house is corrupt,this country,na wah,which way nigeria,which way to go.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by donjazzie(m): 7:39pm On Sep 28, 2006
Roscodaddy:

This is really like a Nigerian Home Video,how can Ribadu say there is no oil money missing at this time,where is Zeb Ejiro and Jeta Amata and all the Independent movie producers,this na one obonge comedy.

roflmao
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by donjazzie(m): 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2006
Roscodaddy:

Is it not the same Ribadu that said sometime back that all members of the house was corrupt,now he has changed mouth that nobody in the house is corrupt,this country,na wah,which way nigeria,which way to go.

please can you confirm wen he said in clear terms when ribadu said no house member was corrupt?

u can even add a link.thanks
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Chxta(m): 7:53pm On Sep 28, 2006
I'm waiting for that too. Looks like this 'ere thread has opened a can of worms. Roscodaddy over to you. . .
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by 2old4that(m): 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2006
This fight against corruption would be complete when punishment is metted out against those governors. Looking forward to that period.

EFCC is doing a good job; Ribadu represent a new breed Nigerian. Kudos
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by mochafella(m): 8:05pm On Sep 28, 2006
2old4that:

EFCC is doing a good job; Ribadu represent a new breed Nigerian. Kudos

Hope he won't soon be representing a dead breed of Nigerian lipsrsealed. Nigerian politicans are a ruthless lot.
Re: Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted by Nutter(m): 8:07pm On Sep 28, 2006
You can say that again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inec Rules Out Election In Michika, Madagali / Forgery: Saraki And Ekweremadu’s Arraignment Is Today / Economic Activities Return To Damboa,Borno After Years Of Boko Haram Terror(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.