Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,857 members, 7,798,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls (28829 Views)

"3 Weeks After Reporting A Much Older Coworker, I Was Fired From My Job" - Lady / He Was Fired After Performing An "Impossible" Task / This Lady Was Fired For Being Too Pretty In London (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by hardbody: 7:18pm On Aug 08, 2015
[quote author=musicwriter post=36747522]

Use this simple method to find out what he think.

Tell him you're very worried about the way he feel these days. And tell him you know it's because he lost his job. If possible, and if everything you said is true, you can even show him your Nairaland post. After you've done that, then ask him the same question you posted here.

If he tell you to resign, then leave his place as soon as possible, as that would mean he doesn't have the same level of friendship you have for him. No matter what the circumstance may have been, he should be able to understand it's not your fault.
[/quot

His friend will remain mute. They are not on talking terms. At best only one person talks and the other person listens or not. If he must talk, let it be from outside.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Kimoni: 7:19pm On Aug 08, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
Will make this very brief, 3 months ago i joined my friend at his place of work, with his help i was able to be employed there.

It all started with the manager complaining about my friend's work style and always comparing him with me, despite the fact they don't know we are close pals and we live together, this really get me worried he is not so good on computers yet they kept comparing him to me, always saying he's not fast enough, and later after some weeks the boss concluded he's withdrawing the appointment of some workers due to shortage in patronage, to my disbelieve my friend name was among the 14 workers discharged, and ever since then he not been talking to me in the house, he kept mute even when I try talking to him, now I've decided to quit the work at month end, for the sake of peace between us.

Though I have no other means yet but you know that feelings when someone you always talk to just begin to act strange and wouldn't release his anger by speaking just looking since his fired.........

Please what can I do? Should I quit the job as well?

While I understand your guilt and wanting to quit your job, it will be foolhardy to do so.

You were not directly responsible for his job loss, he could have been compared to anybody else and not you, so there is really no reason why you should beat yourself too much over it. It's okay to empathize with him, but stalling your career because of it is just plain stupeed.

Your quitting the job will not cause him to be recalled, so what would you have achieved? One additional unemployed youth in the job market due to his own stupeedity? Not worth it. It adds no value to neither you nor him.

If your friend was not so good on the job, his firing should be a wake up call to him to either improve himself on that line or he should look for another career path where he has better skills.

And again, it's okay that he doesn't want to speak with you, losing a job is so much to take in and especially when his close friend whom he helped secure a job was the "reason" for his exit, but he will snap out of it shortly. He needs your support and encouragement at this time and not your job loss!

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Babaelemu: 7:21pm On Aug 08, 2015
people can be misleading. please follow ur heart if its say quit den let it be nd if its say dont den dont. freedom to your heart matters.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by bossGeh(f): 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2015
Guy abeg don't quit your job, he isn't a true friend that's why he's acting up, try and talk some sense into him and also support him with some money monthly until he gets something doing. Good luck.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by crackhouse(m): 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2015
STOP!! Don't quit that job dude! If u do i will kill u with frustration and hunger. *MONEY say so*
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Jbravo58(m): 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2015
plz dnt re-sign coz its time for him to go and moving to a good place else where, and if you try it you will later regret it while he will have his way in anoda place.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by dokson(m): 7:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
Both of you r toddlers. Are u d cause of his sack? Except if you r not telling us d true story, your friend's sack should not make you to quit your job.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Vince77(m): 7:38pm On Aug 08, 2015
Freemanan:
YES
e be like say na u be d frnd wey dem fire.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 08, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
Will make this very brief, 3 months ago i joined my friend at his place of work, with his help i was able to be employed there.

It all started with the manager complaining about my friend's work style and always comparing him with me, despite the fact they don't know we are close pals and we live together, this really get me worried he is not so good on computers yet they kept comparing him to me, always saying he's not fast enough, and later after some weeks the boss concluded he's withdrawing the appointment of some workers due to shortage in patronage, to my disbelieve my friend name was among the 14 workers discharged, and ever since then he not been talking to me in the house, he kept mute even when I try talking to him, now I've decided to quit the work at month end, for the sake of peace between us.

Though I have no other means yet but you know that feelings when someone you always talk to just begin to act strange and wouldn't release his anger by speaking just looking since his fired.........

Don't quit the job just makes sure you share your salary with your friend till able to get another job.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by vega84(m): 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2015
Dnt leave that job cos is nt ur fault, if leave u will regret it, cos ur friend might hav another job 2morw and u might remain jobless, be wise my friend. #vegatalks

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Xano(m): 7:49pm On Aug 08, 2015
powerfulsettingz:

I understand you on this, but don't quit. Remove such thought from your mind. Your friend will get over it after few weeks. But don't quit anything to save(impress).
Every weekday dress up and go to work with confidence.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 08, 2015
But it's not ur fault na your friend was bad at his job and the company hit hard times that has nothing to do with you and even if it did, quitting your job would not get him his job back so what's the point

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Joshmon(m): 8:13pm On Aug 08, 2015
I think you should get his attention,maybe even thru his GF or parent,then explain that you have no hand in it..Try to make him see reasons why things will get better and hopefully he myt change his mind
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Brugo(m): 8:20pm On Aug 08, 2015
Now it's time to be your brother's keeper. Share your salary with him. Not equally of course.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by 2sex(m): 8:24pm On Aug 08, 2015
Kingsasian:
It isn't your fault. You should talk to him and let him see reasons with you. I believe if he was to be in your shoes he won't quit because you were fired. God used that visit to grant you what you have been praying for which is a job. If you quit the job because of him now what makes you think he will reconcile with you? Will you be happy to call him a friend if he reconciles after quitting? Don't live your life to please others. true friend will always be with you both in good and bad times. For him to be angry at your success shows that He isn't a true friend.
a Guy that got the OP the job is not a true friend? Come on! Be rational for once. No one would be happy to see that someone they helped has gone ahead of them in same job where they lost theirs because they brought in someone.

I would say the OP should speak with him. If na me, I know how to talk to such person and make him see reasons and be at least grateful that it's not both of them that lost their jobs... Which would be far worse. At least with the OPs help, the other brother can get somethings for himself.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by harry509: 8:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
powerfulsettingz:

hmmmmm na wa ooh. Wetn I go yah now? Evry aboki wit him kettle ooh. Afta all u wia nt d 1 dat sack him now, make him 2 udastnd u & he can get a job sumwia else. Pls u guys shud try n reconcile OK.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Ybnm4life(m): 8:41pm On Aug 08, 2015
My advice here for you is not to quit your job because your friend was fired.
It wasn't because of you he was fired, it might be due to the economic meltdown which has made the dollar to rise persistently against the naira which has caused you boss to fire your friend so that the company might be able to balance its input against its output.
Also if you quit you job how long will it take you to see a good job to take care of the standards you have set for yourself like paying of house rent, foodstuff, family needs etc
The only thing you can do in this case is to have a chat with your friends about how you feel about his sack and your relationship with him... If he still refuse to see reason with you, then call someone that is elderly to resolve the matter for you guys... And always try at the end of the month to always reach out to you friend financially until he get a job...
Thank you and stay employed!!!

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by encrypt(m): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2015
All those yarning that the fellow is not a good friend...well lets be practical. You have a steady job which i assume pays fairly okay, then your friend which you invited joins you and shortly after you are fired.
A. An average Nigerian blames other ppl for his woes and in this case the closest culprit is his friend. It is pure Nigerian mentality whether you agree with me or yes cheesy

B. If he doesn't have that thought himself other sabinus(es) will suggest it to him...all conspiracy theories sound good to pained ppl.

@OP DON'T QUIT. Pick up the expenses around the house...i would have suggested moving out but that would kill anything left in that friendship as it would be his final "proof" in his imaginary case against you.
Secondly keep an eye out for a new job for him. AND NEVER!!! try to discuss happenings at the office with him.

3 Likes

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 08, 2015
powerfulsettingz:

quit and join us for unemployed abeg help me with your job
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:05pm On Aug 08, 2015
maadman:
..give him half of ur monthly salary for 6 months..
maybe a quarter
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Kingsasian(m): 9:26pm On Aug 08, 2015
2sex:
a Guy that got the OP the job is not a true friend? Come on! Be rational for once. No one would be happy to see that someone they helped has gone ahead of them in same job where they lost theirs because they brought in someone.

I would say the OP should speak with him. If na me, I know how to talk to such person and make him see reasons and be at least grateful that it's not both of them that lost their jobs... Which would be far worse. At least with the OPs help, the other brother can get somethings for himself.
I agree with you though but he didn't help the Op get the job.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by tonididdy(m): 9:31pm On Aug 08, 2015
Kingsasian:
It isn't your fault. You should talk to him and let him see reasons with you. I believe if he was to be in your shoes he won't quit because you were fired. God used that visit to grant you what you have been praying for which is a job. If you quit the job because of him now what makes you think he will reconcile with you? Will you be happy to call him a friend if he reconciles after quitting? Don't live your life to please others. true friend will always be with you both in good and bad times. For him to be angry at your success shows that He isn't a true friend.
cmon don't judge his friend like that.

We are just ordinary people...u don't know the OP and his friend and the kinda relationship they have (don't call him an untrue friend, remember the sacrifice he made also to secure a job for the OP)

@OP to be honest I have a bigheart like you and I would almost quit too just to be even but two men in same house without jobs is not a good move at the moment. Just take up providing more responsiblities in the house and while u're at that please FIND YOUR FRIEND A JOB ALSO or talk to your boss and plead with him to recall your friend, afterall your friend begged for this job 4u)

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 08, 2015
Give him time,he'll get over it nd inform him of any job vacancy u hear of,he is not angry with u,he is angry at himself

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by tonididdy(m): 9:35pm On Aug 08, 2015
powerfulsettingz:

@OP to be honest I have a bigheart like you and I
would almost quit too just to be even but two men
in same house without jobs is not a good move at
the moment. Just take up providing more
responsiblities in the house and while u're at that
please FIND YOUR FRIEND A JOB ALSO or talk to
your boss and plead with him to recall your friend,
afterall your friend begged for this job 4u)
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by tonididdy(m): 9:45pm On Aug 08, 2015
bossGeh:
Guy abeg don't quit your job, he isn't a true friend that's why he's acting up, try and talk some sense into him and also support him with some money monthly until he gets something doing. Good luck.
A girls advice is as good as a wet tissue paper.

U girl be honest with yoursef, your fellow GF gets praised and retained while you get rebuked and sacked.

U mean ud still go back home and cook her a large pot of delicacy?...if YES, then u nor pure.

Normal reaction will be jealousy,straightUP

1 Like

Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by just4now(m): 9:46pm On Aug 08, 2015
Don't feel responsible for his inadequacy but rather show him love by considering to share a portion of your salary with him till he finds a job. Be your brother's keeper, in this way you will sustain your friendship and be safe living under the same room with an angry friend. It could be disastrous living in such environment better still you may move out to save your life. Be wise.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by segebobo: 9:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
Instead of quiting, I'd rather you stand by him at this time. Give him the necessary support to get a new job
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by darlenese(f): 10:02pm On Aug 08, 2015
Its normal for him to act funny, if all niaralanders were to be in his shies I'm sure they will do the same , or do you expect him to pretent he is happy ?, its natural for him to be bitter and angry at u,
Share ur salary
Meanwhile , get another apartment
Ur presence brings bad luck to him.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Publ1cEnemy(m): 10:44pm On Aug 08, 2015
Kingsasian:

Quit the job bro... You can always find another but you will never find another friend who will go that mile for you. If you quit your friend will feel guilty but he will know how much u value ur friendship. But if the pay is good enuf to change ur life don't quit,just keep trying to make him understand.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by lomprico(m): 11:02pm On Aug 08, 2015
kaya09:
Quit the job,its called loyalty.
Op, this is that ur friend, he is also in nairaland.
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by Richal20(m): 11:08pm On Aug 08, 2015
I can feel his pain though, just let him know he's taking the wrong approach, one thing is certain he was not the only one sacked as such even though yu were not working there he would still meet the same fate.
Edited: Bro abeg if yu are on nairaland no vex again, I take God name beg yu. Remember if you live your life tryin to please people you die a popular man in town,,, gbagam
Re: My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls by 2sex(m): 11:14pm On Aug 08, 2015
Kingsasian:
I agree with you though but he didn't help the Op get the job.

read below...
powerfulsettingz:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wema Bank Salary: How Much Does Wema Bank Pays Their Staff? / Mortuary Workers Seize Corpse At A Cemetery In Ghana Over Balance Payment / I Recently Lost My High Paying Job And I'm At A Crossroads On What To Do Next

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.