Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,270 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? (11813 Views)

Deleted / Gtbank Launches Nigeria’s First Virtual Mastercard / My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
When I transact on Amazon ( US ) , I have option of using them as my FX agent,ie they can charge naira mastercard in Naira. I found out that when I use their services, ~N208/ $1 is charged on my card. When I choose option of USD, GTB charges me ~N225 / $1 for exchange. Please I want to know GTB charges on debit cards (Mastercard /Visa) for international online transactions or when cards issued by GTB is used in POS terminals internationally in USD. To elaborate more on this , I bought an item of $50 on Amazon and asked them to charge my card in Naira @ N208/1$ (Amazon FX rate) on checkout. It reflected on my GTB account as $46.31 (N10,420.64) ! When I did another test transaction of $10 on Amazon and chose USD on checkout , it reflected on my GTB account as $10(N2250.03) at a whooping N225/$1 !. This does not seem to be peculiar to GTB because FCMB card I used charged about N226 to dollar as well.

I expected Nigerian banks to give me a better exchange rate (+ applicable charges) than Amazon ( N208/$1 including FX charges). Any person doing online transaction on Amazon can independently verify this. Why this is important is that most merchants tend to charge in dollars leaving you the only option of your bank performing FX for you. It is only Amazon I know for now that has inbuilt FX that accepts naira if you choose same.

Can anybody in the house explain why the very high FX rate even though officially it is N197/dollar and even a foreign company has a better rate at N208/dollar all charges inclusive ! Remember this is not a parallel market transaction. I do not expect them to sell at N197(because of charges) but it should be better that N208.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by jarkbauer: 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2015
very soon amazon will change it to 238. thanks for informing them.

The truth is that most Nigerian Banks are scammer when it comes to forex. UBA charged 267 last week to dollar.

2 Likes

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by agitator: 1:46pm On Aug 06, 2015
good move my Amazon. Nigerian banks been scamming us since 1918 angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2015
jarkbauer:
very soon amazon will change it to 238. thanks for informing them
I have done business with reputable foreign merchants, they are not like us , very straightforward in business dealings. If CBN is seling to them @N197-199, they have a fixed charge % which takes it to N208 they charge. They wont change it unless the official naira xchange rate changes. I have even received my goods incomplete, after informing them via chat, they dispatched another on a 1-day delivery !!! I have even returned items and got my money back. Try that with an average Nigerian merchant, your money is gone or if they are merciful, they will ask you to choose another product.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
excel234:

I have done business with reputable foreign merchants, they are not like us , very straightforward in business dealings. If CBN is seling to them @N197-199, they have a fixed charge % which takes it to N208 they charge. They wont change it unless the official naira xchange rate changes. I have even received my goods incomplete, after informing them via chat, they dispatched another on a 1-day delivery !!! I have even returned items and got my money back. Try that with an average Nigerian merchant, your money is gone or if they are merciful, they will ask you to choose another product.

Brother, if they begin to run at loss, they will change that rate. lol Naira has no value, they are even at loss maybe they dont know yet!
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
I was a former UBA customer, had to run with my heels touching my head. They are daylight robbers
jarkbauer:
very soon amazon will change it to 238. thanks for informing them.

The truth is that most Nigerian Banks are scammer when it comes to forex. UBA charged 267 last week to dollar.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by jarkbauer: 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2015
excel234:

CBN does not sell dollars to Amazon. CBN is Nigeria's bank banker. It sells dollars to Nigerian banks. Anytime you do use your card for foreign transaction, your bank do will a transfer to the to merchant through their partner bank (JP Morgan Chase) abroad.

Now see why it wont stay at 208? see you bought something of 50dollars but Gtbank transferred 46.31 equivalent that's 3.69$ loss to Amazon
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
jarkbauer:

CBN does not sell dollars to Amazon. CBN is Nigeria's bank banker. It sells dollars to Nigerian banks. Anytime you do use your card for foreign transaction, your bank do will a transfer to the to merchant through their partner bank (JP Morgan Chase) abroad.

Now see why it wont stay at 208? see you bought something of 50dollars but Gtbank transferred 46.31 equivalent that's 3.69$ loss to Amazon
Thanks for your clarification on CBN / JP Morgan's. But I doubt that Amazon is losing , Amazon charges N10,420.61 directly to GTB. Gtb converts it to $46.31 dollar equivalent with their rate (since it is an international transaction) but pay Amazon N10, 420.61 since the transaction was done in Naira not dollars. Question is , how much is JP Morgan exchanging naira to dollars for Amazon ? Who exchanges naira to dollar for JP Morgan and at what rate ? Amazon has been exchanging at N208 for a long time now. If they are losing, they won't continue. They are not dumb.

1 Like

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by StPete: 5:27pm On Aug 06, 2015
OP thanks for bringing this up.

I had the same issues with the two banks you mentioned.
First it was GTB with their FX rate at N217 to a dollar last week

Now FCMB rate of over N226 shows that Nigerian banks are becoming daylight robbers
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
excel234:

You are very right. Foreign companies have business integrity unlike companies here.

1 Like

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by blym4real: 6:36pm On Aug 06, 2015
uba is the worst, I was charged #257 about a week ago.

lasticlala,seun,ishilove we need this to make front page so we can call the attention of higher authority to this dubious act by this banks.

The exchange rate for electronic payment should never exceed +#10 to the official rate but due to their fraudulent practices, the receiving merchant charges the bank at a lower exchange rate compared to what the bank charges its customers.

for example; MasterCard payment processor may charge the bank #205 to a dollar but the bank will deduct #245 to a dollar from the customer.

1 Like

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Aug 06, 2015
In the modern world there's nothing like an official exchange rate. All exchange rate are based on demand and supply in the modern world. The role of regulation is to ensure that people are not cheated, so before making a transaction you should be able to told what the rate would be.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
Seun:
In the modern world there's nothing like an official exchange rate. All exchange rate are based on demand and supply in the modern world. The role of regulation is to ensure that people are not cheated, so before making a transaction you should be able to told what the rate would be.
You are correct , it even changes throughout the day. But I don't expect Amazon rate to be much better than our banks , the transactions were done < 5mins apart. It should be the other way round. I expect our banks to give us a better and competitive rate. Our hands are tied with ban on payment of foreign currency to our dorm accounts with cash. We are now at mercies of bank rates. They can make it what they want.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by signature2012(m): 7:40pm On Aug 06, 2015
Naija banks doing what they know how to do best in the wrong way.If you are to purchase things abroad,they charge you on the high side,if is to make a refund back to your naija account,they will then bring in CBN rate in which will not be equivalent to what they charge you for the debit.These are the loopholes I expect the CBN governor to checkmate.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by blym4real: 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2015
Seun:
I did a transaction at #238 to $1 some weeks back with uba mastercard, the order was later cancelled and uba refunded my money at the rate of #199 to a dollar claiming it the official cbn rate.

1 Like

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
blym4real:

I did a transaction at #238 to $1 some weeks back with uba mastercard, the order was later cancelled and uba refunded my money at the rate of #199 to a dollar claiming it the official cbn rate.
This is fraudulent, how can we get the right people to know this? Government and CBN should try and regulate these bank activities. If they use CBN rate for refunds, they should use same payments, using prevailing rates.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by joelreg(m): 10:25am On Aug 07, 2015
GTBANK is one of the fraudulent NIGERIA
whenever i as for withdrawal from my BROKER, they will apply CBN rate.
but if i fund my account with naira mastercard, they will use exorbitant rate.
REAPING WHERE THEY DID NOT SOW
#fruadulentGTBANK#
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by infogenius(m): 10:39am On Aug 07, 2015
blym4real:

Iol
The transaction is clear. UBA sold a dollar at #238 to you to effect a payment. And when a refund was made, they simply bought the dollar back from you at rate of #199.

It is not fraud but business as usual.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by blym4real: 11:21am On Aug 07, 2015
infogenius:

Iol
The transaction is clear. UBA sold a dollar at #238 to you to effect a payment. And when a refund was made, they simply bought the dollar back from you at rate of #199.

It is not fraud but business as usual.

it a refund. payment is quite different from buying and selling currency.

3 Likes

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by wizywise2013: 11:37am On Aug 07, 2015
am not saying that am buying dollar , what am saying is the wrongful debit of my account and please i expect you to read well before you comment.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Crieff(m): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2015
blym4real:

.......The exchange rate for electronic payment should never exceed +#10 to the official rate.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by mariamsule: 8:52am On Dec 19, 2015
I just bought an item on Aliexpress and I was charged N1,903 naira for a $7.05 item. that's N270 to a dollar from gtb. this is crazzzyyyy
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by shocker007(m): 4:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Must you post every question online?
Some people can ask unreasonable questions.
Thank God all normal users will be blocked from FX shopping as from January 2016.
I will see if this kind of post will appear again.

Learn to keep shut when you have nothing positive to say!
BTW When did Nairaland become GTB customer service centre.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by StPete: 4:09am On Dec 23, 2015
shocker007:
Thank God all normal users will be blocked from FX shopping as from January 2016.

Shut up there, will you? Can't opinions be shared from other people who do online businesses? What's wrong wit d questions d OP asked for clarifications or do you think you know better than everyone else who have contributed?

3 Likes

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by shocker007(m): 9:55pm On Dec 23, 2015
StPete:

Shut up there, will you? Can't opinions be shared from other people who do online businesses? What's wrong wit d questions d OP asked for clarifications or do you think you know better than everyone else who have contributed?
OK sir. No vex

All i know is that; January is right at the corner.
Cant wait to Laugh in swahili when posts of people not been able make international purchase surfaces.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by skyhighweb(m): 7:33am On Feb 01, 2016
shocker007:

reading ur post makes me wonder which kind world u come from, so u think what the op said isnt reasonable abi na u know pass, ps: i dey india schooling and the international exchange rate is killing foreign student and if banks says 199 why then charge more. wont some one talk again abi u na sharia
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 01, 2016
shocker007:

OK sir. No vex

All i know is that; January is right at the corner.
Cant wait to Laugh in swahili when posts of people not been able make international purchase surfaces.

This is 1st February.. My GTB Card is working undecided

See yourself?

1 Like

Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by shocker007(m): 2:45pm On Feb 01, 2016
coolsix:

This is 1st February.. My GTB Card is working undecided

See yourself?

At 305 to a Dollar, You sure gonna shout sooner or later. If you escape Amazon, you can't escape other services.
While we who knows how dollar works will keep spending it at ease.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 01, 2016
shocker007:

At 305 to a Dollar, You sure gonna shout sooner or later. If you escape Amazon, you can't escape other services.
While we who knows how dollar works will keep spending it at ease.

Sir, i make use of a dollar credit card from GTBank to make payments online and besides i don't do anything with amazon and also the rate on my Naira MasterCard is 276 as at this morning not 305.

Anyway, rate doesn't matter i was only quoting because it was said card wont work in Jan and this is feb my card is working thats all i wanted to say.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by Phestosuah(m): 10:16am On Mar 24, 2016
My card still working for international transactions and am charged N208.6/$1.
my question is, how can I buy a single item of about $900 as I get payment decline each time I checkout on the item.
Just need how I can buy an item of about $900 on amazon.
Re: GTB Mastercard Charges ~N225/$1 While Amazon Charges ~N208/$1 , Any Reason Why ? by bizgenius1: 10:39am On Mar 24, 2016
Phestosuah:
My card still working for international transactions and am charged N208.6/$1.
my question is, how can I buy a single item of about $900 as I get payment decline each time I checkout on the item.
Just need how I can buy an item of about $900 on amazon.

pls which bank card is that?

(1) (2) (Reply)

BUA Cement Releases Financial Results For Q1, 2020, Records N20.1 Billion Profit / Reps Tell EFCC To Investigate Keystone Bank / Simple Guide On How To Produce Cassava

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.