Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Interesting Facts About English Language - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Interesting Facts About English Language (1160 Views)

Write English Language Like A Pro With This Free Software--- Must Have App! / A Little Bit Of English Language Magic / Fun Facts About Words And The English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Facts About English Language by TRWConsult(m): 5:29pm On Aug 06, 2015
Do you know word 'alphabet' comes from first two letters Greek alphabet - alpha and beta?

Here is a very simple sentence which uses every letter of the alphabet , it is 'The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog ' !

Challenge your friends! Ask them to find rhyming words for any of these five words - Orange, Month, Silver, Angel & Bulb! You will be surprised to try that these five words don't have any rhyming word!

Do you know that if you really get excited on finding new words, learn this special word for yourself ! The word is logophile. It means 'lover of words'

Do you know about 'crutch words' ? Crutch words are those words which we slip into sentences to give us more time to think or emphasize on some point. We start using them unconsciously but gradually they became part of our verbal tics. Few examples of these words are -actually, obviously, like, honestly, basically, etc. Most of the times they don't add any value or meaning of a statement ,for example, 'I actually was absent that day. 'So what is your crutch word?

Ok, here are 3 wacky words from 21st century- i) Coople - Inseparable couple so satisfied with each other's company that they rarely socialize with others. ii) Cancellelation-The joy felt by someone who frees up his schedule by cancelling an appointment .iii) Droidian slip- It means confusion about which electronic device does what for example answering an AC remote instead of the mobile phone etc.

Want to impress your friends? Remember, Scolionophobia –It means to have fear of School, hope you don’t have it.

Talking of Phobias, you may get whole list of phobias on internet, but here is one interesting phobia - ‘Phobophobia’–It means fear (phobia) of having any phobia. So you got a word for phobia of phobias.

The word 'swims' when turned upside down will still look like same i.e. 'swims'.

The sentence 'Are you as bored as I am ' can be read backwards and would still make sense!

Now test your friends, ask them to say ‘the sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick’. It is known to be the toughest tongue –twister in English language.

Credit: MakeMeAGenius
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2015
undecided
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by kossyablaze(m): 5:32pm On Aug 06, 2015
Cool indeed

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by Sinbad2007(m): 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2015
Still weeping for my native language! Everyone is now running away from it more especially the indomie generations. Op also extend your research magnanimity to our indigenous languages please. One love!
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by Cyberfavour(m): 5:43pm On Aug 06, 2015
[color=#770077][/color]cool tho'
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by hahn(m): 5:56pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sinbad2007:
Still weeping for my native language! Everyone is now running away from it more especially the indomie generations. Op also extend your research magnanimity to our indigenous languages please. One love!

If you feel that much about it, you can go ahead and do the research yourself
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by Sinbad2007(m): 7:52pm On Aug 06, 2015
hahn:

If you feel that much about it, you can go ahead and do the research yourself

We all crave for quality health care but not all of us are medical practitioners
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by hahn(m): 8:41pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sinbad2007:

We all crave for quality health care but not all of us are medical practitioners

Gbam!

I agree. Totally
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by xyzhill(m): 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2015
TRWConsult:
Do you know word 'alphabet' comes from first two letters Greek alphabet - alpha and beta?

Here is a very simple sentence which uses every letter of the alphabet , it is 'The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog ' !

Challenge your friends! Ask them to find rhyming words for any of these five words - Orange, Month, Silver, Angel & Bulb! You will be surprised to try that these five words don't have any rhyming word!

Do you know that if you really get excited on finding new words, learn this special word for yourself ! The word is logophile. It means 'lover of words'

Do you know about 'crutch words' ? Crutch words are those words which we slip into sentences to give us more time to think or emphasize on some point. We start using them unconsciously but gradually they became part of our verbal tics. Few examples of these words are -actually, obviously, like, honestly, basically, etc. Most of the times they don't add any value or meaning of a statement ,for example, 'I actually was absent that day. 'So what is your crutch word?

Ok, here are 3 wacky words from 21st century- i) Coople - Inseparable couple so satisfied with each other's company that they rarely socialize with others. ii) Cancellelation-The joy felt by someone who frees up his schedule by cancelling an appointment .iii) Droidian slip- It means confusion about which electronic device does what for example answering an AC remote instead of the mobile phone etc.

Want to impress your friends? Remember, Scolionophobia –It means to have fear of School, hope you don’t have it.

Talking of Phobias, you may get whole list of phobias on internet, but here is one interesting phobia - ‘Phobophobia’–It means fear (phobia) of having any phobia. So you got a word for phobia of phobias.

The word 'swims' when turned upside down will still look like same i.e. 'swims'.

The sentence 'Are you as bored as I am ' can be read backwards and would still make sense!

Now test your friends, ask them to say ‘the sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick’. It is known to be the toughest tongue –twister in English language.

Credit: MakeMeAGenius
month - mount
Silver - quiver
Bulb - bob
Orange - arrange
Angel - scoundel\damsel. i try na
Re: Interesting Facts About English Language by Jummyjagz(f): 11:40am On Aug 07, 2015
Coool

(1) (Reply)

Where Is The Guy I Married? 5 / How To Make Love To Your First Love... / My Days In Oo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.