Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) (22558 Views)

Man Raises Alarm Over Alleged Vaccination Of Babies With Expired Drugs At UCH Ib / Man Who Produces Fake Peak Milk In Calabar Arrested By NAFDAC / The New Trick Used To Sell Expired Products In Nigeria - David King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Islie: 3:34am On Aug 07, 2015
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has uncovered an illegal factory within the Trade Fair Complex in Lagos, loaded with various expired food condiments worth millions of naira.

It arrested a 24–year-old, Mr. Victor Ebuka Okeke, in connection with the expired products.

The factory, which was originally a one- shop, was said to have been used to stock, re-validate and distribute expired products. Some of the expired products discovered in the factory include expired Maggi Sauce with manufacturing dates: 15/08/2011 and expiry dates: 15/08/2014, Amoy Dark Soy Sauce, Costa Corned Beef and Exeter Corned beef, among others.

For the Costa Corned Beef, whether expired or not, the 24-year -old suspect, changed their labels to Exeter Corned Beef, which, according to him, was to attract patronage because it was a fast moving brand in the market.

Addressing reporters shortly after the exercise, the leader of the NAFDAC team and Assistant Director, Enforcement Operations, Mr. Shaba Mohammed, said the agency had been on the trail of the alleged owner of the factory, following intelligence report.

He said the suspect, who also claimed to be the managing director of the factory, was caught re-validating the expiry dates of Maggi Arome sauce and Amoy Soy sauce, smuggled into the country from Ghana, from 2014 to August 2016.

According to him, the products expired in August 15, last year.

“The suspect was also caught changing labels of Costa corned beef to Exeter corned beef,” he added

Mohammed, who said the suspect had refused to provide information regarding the whereabouts of over 902 cartons of expired Maggi sauce, said the agency would charge him to court for counterfeiting.

“We have arrested the suspect and evacuated the remaining products in the illegal factory. We are also charging him for counterfeiting. Some of the products were not registered by NAFDAC. The products were smuggled in from Ghana. What we found cannot be consumed. We saw two drums filled with ordinary water which he used to immerse the products and the labels will remove without any trace and are replaced with re-validated labels.”

He added that most of the re-validated products had been pushed into the market.

Mohammed said consuming such products could lead to terminal diseases, such as liver and kidney ailments, which are on the rise in the country.

He said the sauces are sodium-based products that could cause hypertension, if consumed.

The assistant director also said the suspect would be arraigned in court.

“Every single thing that is here is dangerous to human health.”

Okeke, who claimed to hail from Njikoka in Anambra State, said he was forced to re-validate the dates to recover the money he spent in importing the products.

“The goods expired after I have sold over 100 cartons. I don’t supply but people come and buy from me.”

Asked why he was changing their labels, he said: “When the products got expired in my hands , in order to recoup my money, I decided to change the products’ details.”

On the people he supplies the products to, he said retailers come to his shop to buy them.

“It is not a factory or a warehouse. All my products are from Ghana. I bought the labels from somewhere,” he said.

The Director-General of NAFDAC, Dr. Paul Orhii, said the current law, which stipulates a fine of N500,000 or 15-year jail term upon conviction, was inadequate.

He stated that the new law sought life jail term and confiscation of assets upon conviction and compensation for victims where the counterfeit product was found to be the proximate cause of severe bodily injury.

Orhii said the new law would also make counterfeiting a non-bailable offence, adding that a whistle-blower clause was also included in the new law.

http://thenationonlineng.net/nafdac-uncovers-factory-with-expired-condiments/

Pictures of some of expired products
Picture credit: http://newtelegraphonline.com/expired-condiments-found-in-lagos-factory/

lalasticlala

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by HungerBAD: 3:36am On Aug 07, 2015
This should not be a tribal bash please.

Still don't know how some people go to sleep at night? knowing they just put some dangerous stuff for people to consume out there. If we must be evil, then let us choose to do the lesser evil. If, for example you want to make Bootleg products, choose something that will not have direct implications on somebody's health.

For example, there are Bootleg jeans, Bootleg wristwatches, Bootleg shoes and occasionally you run into Bootleg Wive's and Bootleg Husbands. But, to now take it further into producing Bootleg stuff, that is consumed is one of the highest level of man's inhumanity to man.

These people that do stuff like this, do they have kids?do they have parents?brothers and sisters who might one day consume this stuff too?and become directly affected.

Every time in the news, you hear about a family of 8 dying after eating one meal or the other in Nigeria. The other day it was bootleg Ogogoro in Rivers and Ondo or Ekiti(not too sure again)and it killed a lot of people.

It is easier for us to shrug it off, saying HOW IT TAKE AFFECT ME?yes it affects you indirectly one way or the other. We all have lost some relatives to some kind of unexpalinable sickness, and we quick to point to witches and wizards, don't be surprised they might have died from eating tainted food like the corn beef this guy is bootlegging.

And since Nigeria, is not well equipped with hospitals that run full autopsy, we shrug those deaths as being the handi-works of enemies and our jealous relatives.

Sadly, there is nothing we can do but complain.

NAFDAC(almost forgot about them after Dora)continue to do your job. And may God guide you to those wicked people in Nigeria, bent on killing us with fake consumables.

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Inioluwa01(m): 3:45am On Aug 07, 2015
Modified....In a country like Nigeria, only God protects...#STC...I'm getting there.
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Nobody: 3:47am On Aug 07, 2015
Noted!
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by pragmatistm(m): 4:56am On Aug 07, 2015
Why are people so heartless. Just for quick money. Haha
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by enoqueen: 5:35am On Aug 07, 2015
God de.....

Contunu
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by jomoh: 5:43am On Aug 07, 2015
NAFDAC too has woken up from their slumber.

In loving memory of Dora Nkem Akunyili

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by jammani(m): 7:33am On Aug 07, 2015
, they shouldn't have published the names of those products. you know our people, they will start broadcasting it on whatsapp BBM etc that they should not use maggi again, that it kills, gives cancer that 2000 people have bn dead. .... Chai. Naija

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Neduzze5(m): 7:33am On Aug 07, 2015
Nigerians killing Nigerians!!

Make God save us all.

AMEN!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 07, 2015
Where is the NAFDAC Boss?

Paul Orhi or something.

Heard EFCC is hunting him.

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by peddyholly: 7:33am On Aug 07, 2015
Good work
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by omisakint: 7:33am On Aug 07, 2015
Lol
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 07, 2015
Burn Baby Burn

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by reverendfather: 7:34am On Aug 07, 2015
Oluwa o
Buhari is working grin grin grin grin
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by generaluthman: 7:34am On Aug 07, 2015
Shai!!! Naija MMBM
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 07, 2015
NAFDAC is finally awake. shocked

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Efesuave: 7:34am On Aug 07, 2015
diz country don spoil finnish.

notin workz in diz fvcking HELLHOLE called Nigeria. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by RichDad1(m): 7:34am On Aug 07, 2015
Islie:

It arrested a 24–year-old, Mr. Victor Ebuka Okeke, in connection with the expired products.
as usual. cry cry cry cry Oran gbogbo ki'se lori Alabahun. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by maxiuc(m): 7:35am On Aug 07, 2015
Wicked people kai just empty one sachet in their as punishment let them feel what their victims feels
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by cutesmilez(f): 7:36am On Aug 07, 2015
Money is truly d root of all evil
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by philfrey08: 7:36am On Aug 07, 2015
24 years old?
Thats quite a young age. This guy can kill
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Ddonoflife(m): 7:36am On Aug 07, 2015
Kip the good work ooo naffdac
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 07, 2015
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 07, 2015
Nigeria I hail thee, nothing people won't do in this country in the name of hustling, hustling at the detriment of peoples health and life.
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Ddonoflife(m): 7:37am On Aug 07, 2015
philfrey08:
J
for jug
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by TXRunner(m): 7:37am On Aug 07, 2015
did u notice dat every governmental agency in Nigeria seem 2 have woken up 4rm deir slumber and ve started doing their designated jobs?
yes, dat is what happens wen u ve a functional leader and not jst figurehead lipsrsealed
God bless nigeria. Our nation shall b great again
God bless us all.

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by Ddonoflife(m): 7:37am On Aug 07, 2015
cutesmilez:
l
for iron
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by kuuljay(m): 7:37am On Aug 07, 2015
Victor ebuka okeke. I guessed as much

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by hakeem4(m): 7:37am On Aug 07, 2015
I just saw only the topic and I knew it was them

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by mschubby: 7:38am On Aug 07, 2015
all for money
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by kunleeko(m): 7:38am On Aug 07, 2015
NAFDAC needs to wake up from their state of comatose. "It have tayed" since they got compromised and personally, I don't trust them. We deserve more than this as consumers from NAFDAC, SON and CPC. NAFDAC needs some torchlighting after the chocolate royale incident. But wait... Everybody seems to be waking up in this era of change.
Re: NAFDAC Uncovers Factory With Expired Condiments (Photo) by DEXTROVERT: 7:38am On Aug 07, 2015
SAW THE NAME And was like. ....

I NO TELL UUU

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Partners Julius Berger To Disinfect Major Roads, Bus Stops / Phosguard Fumigant To Buy Rats From Lagosians For "Kill Rats, Make Money.’ / Why Nigeria Can't Win Lassa Fever Battle As Ebola - Health Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.