Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed (49119 Views)

Poultry Farm With Fish Pond For Rent / Photos: My Catfish Pond / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by uzygirl(f): 10:13pm On Aug 08, 2015
donjon:

very intelligent to lump evry1 in d ND 2geda, insulting u is a waste of time!

@donjon. I am proudly Niger Deltan and I speak from experience. Our youths who have lost focus out shadow the good.

Do you know many towns here have no night life because our boys get very busy that time? Do you know that motorcycles are banned in every major town in Delta state? Do you know most of our kidnappers here are graduates who turn to crime (personal experience)? Do you know how much landlords pay to erect even a very small house? Do you know SHELL, Chevron and other oil servicing companies moved major offices out of warri since they could not satisfy area boys? Do you know how we run almost daily when we hear 'dem don start'? Do you know my plantain customer gets her supply from the west? Do you see those mothers on top of garri wagons importing from other states because their children won't farm? Did you hear that they blocked PTI with a dead Dog for 2weeks because they wanted more slots? Go and ask any fish pond owner in Delta how much they pay for settlement to unofficial council boys let them educate you. If you like use your bathroom, my area boyz go show!

Even this afternoon we go separate fight for Masojeh - agents demanding unreasonable amount from landord who renovated his 26 yr old house and just rented it out.

So if I say their mates are farming and they are here 'obtaining' and waiting for oil jobs, insult me, ehn, you will feel better.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Yommiefish(m): 10:13pm On Aug 08, 2015
My fellow 'fisherman', great work, and more grace.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by vkon2(m): 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2015
clean nko omo ni..pls those of u using earthen should start removing all algae and also mobing the ground
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2015
Adesiji77:

Well done OP, your entrepreneurial drive is encouraging. May God bless your efforts.

@Agricbusiness, Farmafric, BelexyFarms, Chi4iku, sweatlana, opeaceo, Pdozie, Redsun, ValueAddin, Bily,Yetown, gabinogem, supaslim, Lesgupnigeria, leosnr, docchuks, JuveFarms, ab1x, Mayany, busayoomo

Please, how much will it cost to feed 50,000 juveniles for 6 months?
What is the average consumption like daily/weekly/monthly? What other costs should be factored in for a project of this size? I want to work on a cashflow projection for a proposed fish farm and your input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thats a massive number of fishes. The amount of feed consumed daily or weekly will change as they grow. It will cost abt 15 million naira to feed 50,000 fishes for 6 months. I am assuming you are using earthen ponds for this right?
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by daclemx: 10:18pm On Aug 08, 2015
Adesiji77:

Well done OP, your entrepreneurial drive is encouraging. May God bless your efforts.

@Agricbusiness, Farmafric, BelexyFarms, Chi4iku, sweatlana, opeaceo, Pdozie, Redsun, ValueAddin, Bily,Yetown, gabinogem, supaslim, Lesgupnigeria, leosnr, docchuks, JuveFarms, ab1x, Mayany, busayoomo

What is the average consumption like daily/weekly/monthly? What other costs should be factored in for a project of this size? I want to work on a cashflow projection for a proposed fish farm and your input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
What is the average consumption like daily/weekly/monthly? What other costs should be factored in for a project of this size? I want to work on a cashflow projection for a proposed fish farm and your input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.[/quote] bro plsssss start small..500 is okay to start wit. If ‎​u don't understand the business there's no way ‎​u will get somtin gud out of it. Call me let's talk 07064767650 I will tell ‎​u wat to do cos from what am seeing, na pple like dem dangote fit run dat ur plan succeed oh in d short term. Pls start small. Call me I go tell ‎​u why and give ‎​u advice F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅. Free
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by opeaceo: 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2015
Adesiji77:

Why not start small, greeting the feed, the fish treatment, getting a good stock, power and the likes...
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by fxjones(m): 10:37pm On Aug 08, 2015
pls how many months are these your fish and what feed do you use local or foreign, ? very nice output
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by dammytosh: 11:32pm On Aug 08, 2015
Welldone bros.

Nigeria will be great again.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by knxpin(m): 11:49pm On Aug 08, 2015
paulmarkino:
My fellow nairalanders,,here is my fish pond,just about 500fish , since our oil is no more in vogue. so i turned to agriculture.

Love people with this kind of heart
Always on point.

God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Nobody: 2:48am On Aug 09, 2015
thx for explaining smiley

BELEXYFARMS:

Water level is low because he is doing some work in the pond.... Either sorting, harvesting or simply changing the water.
Thats the way a used fertilized pond will look like. It cannot be 'sparkling clean'. U will see algae on the walls which in itself is not bad but rather advantageous to the fishes.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by juicymoney(m): 4:46am On Aug 09, 2015
this is just the beginning of ur success brother
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by cococandy(f): 6:10am On Aug 09, 2015
Don't those fish bite?
I see the way you're stepping in there.

Want some fresh fish peppersoup now. embarassed or grilled fish with coleslaw.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by seangy4konji: 7:11am On Aug 09, 2015
Try and clean that pond regularly...

Heard it helps them grow better.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by atoleybaba(m): 7:40am On Aug 09, 2015
Ralphlauren:

You are talking rubbish!!

Just because you are set in your dirty and unhygenic ways does not mean that's the way things are done.

In sane countries, that 'fish pond' will be drained, all the dish destroyed and the "fish farmer" prosecuted for breeding livestock for public consumption in a dirty environment
baba na grammer u dy talk....the pond is very much OK....why don't u go do something useful and stop criticizing d consumers are not complaining either is he forcing u to buy d fish and for ur info that is not "dirty" it is "algae" if you don't know something ask....the so called "sane" countries also feed fish with hen's poo...*diverting cow dung is used as fertilizers for growing crops u should av called that dirty and disgusting too
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by atoleybaba(m): 7:42am On Aug 09, 2015
opeaceo:

Hian, you insulted him because of his opinion?? In "saner" countries, they make use of earthen ponds and the waters are not clean, in fact, most times, the are "green" in color, it takes a lot of work to wash the ponds and the more you wash, the more they wear off, the more they leak.
the guy is suffering from lack of knowledge....all the I too know type of people that are killing d country
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by atoleybaba(m): 7:47am On Aug 09, 2015
seangy4konji:
Try and clean that pond regularly...

Heard it helps them grow better.
cleaning d pond too frequently will make d fish weak or stressed out.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by kane33: 7:50am On Aug 09, 2015
Na wa
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by erumena(m): 7:58am On Aug 09, 2015
paulmarkino:
My fellow nairalanders,,here is my fish pond,just about 500fish , since our oil is no more in vogue. so i turned to agriculture.

God bless Nigeria!!!

When I see people like you, I always believe that this Country truly will be great again. I see a hard-working individual starting small but growing very big. God'll continue to bless the work of your hands, and in no time, you shall be the Dangote of your time.
Keep it up!
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by daey118(m): 8:09am On Aug 09, 2015
Aitee1:
shocked shocked shocked
Op you're inside with them don't they bite? lipsrsealed
Fish my best meat though grin
abeg ...fish na meat ?
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by bigerboy200: 8:23am On Aug 09, 2015
Atlantian:
Looks dirty. No bacteria there ? Believe me, I cant eat any fish from that place.
The fishes u buy,do u know the condition of the ponds or river they were harvested from

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Atlantian: 8:28am On Aug 09, 2015
bigerboy200:

The fishes u buy,do u know the condition of the ponds or river they were harvested from
No, but I damn well know they are not from this kind of dirty place.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 09, 2015
hinduskoso:
well done my dear,,keep it up,,i need fingerings nd juveniles,,i wanna join d club,,fishtins on my mind.
I have quality fingerlings and juveniles bro, my hatchery is in Lagos buzz me if u are interested.

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by seangy4konji: 8:52am On Aug 09, 2015
ohh nice one then.
atoleybaba:
cleaning d pond too frequently will make d fish weak or stressed out.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 8:57am On Aug 09, 2015
Atlantian:
No, but I damn well know they are not from this kind of dirty place.

The more you talk, the more you sound ignorant and its obvious you dont know anything about fish farming. Well just to educate you a bit : fish ponds cannot be 'sparkling' clean. There are different types of ponds. Some small fish ponds dat are plastic tanks in the back yard can be clean. Some fish ponds that use the recirculatory system will be 'sparkling' clean too because thats intensive fish farming. Besides, after the OP harvests the fishes, the pond will be washed and treated in preparation for the next stocking of small fish (fingerlings). What you are seeing here is the pond at its peak period; those fishes look ready for harvesting. Generally fish ponds are fertilized with manure (poultry manure or cow dung) before the fish are stocked in the pond. Non-organic fertilizer can also be used. The manure helps to fertilize the ponds and the growth of algae shows the pond is fertilized. Visit any big fish farm especially the people that use earthen ponds so that you will be more informed of how they prepare their pond for stocking. For your information, theres something called integrated farming whereby you raise different lifestock together. On very big farms in some countries, the waste from poultry (chicken poo cheesy), pig poo cheesy etc are directed into the fish pond to serve as food for the fishes.
Let us encourage the OP with our words instead of us trying to discourage him. He is just trying to make a honest living with what he is doing.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Youngmolis: 9:02am On Aug 09, 2015
Na lie na family pond, no be him own alone
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Atlantian: 9:04am On Aug 09, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

The more you talk, the more you sound ignorant and its obvious you dont know anything about fish farming. Well just to educate you a bit : fish ponds cannot be 'sparkling' clean. There are different types of ponds. Some fish ponds that use the recirculatory system will be 'sparkling' clean because thats intensive fish farming. Generally fish ponds are fertilized with manure (poultry manure or cow dung) before the fish are stocked in the pond. Non-organic fertilizer can also be used. The manure helps to fertilize the ponds and the growth of algae shows the pond is fertilized. Visit any big fish farm especially the people that use earthen ponds so that you will be more informed of how they prepare their pond for stocking. For your information, theres something called integrated farming whereby you raise different lifestock together. On very big farms in some countries, the waste from poultry (chicken poo cheesy), pig poo cheesy etc are directed into the fish pond to serve as food for the fishes.
Let us encourage the OP with our words instead of us trying to discourage him. He is just trying to make a honest living with what he is doing.

I agree, I am ignorant in fish farming, but any fish from such dirty ravine is not entering my mouth, I will prefer monsanto fish or the freshwater shark to those. Spare me the mumbo jumbo, I am not interested.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 9:07am On Aug 09, 2015
Atlantian:

I agree, I am ignorant in fish farming, but any fish from such dirty ravine is not entering my mouth, I will prefer monsanto fish or the freshwater shark to those. Spare me the mumbo jumbo, I am not interested.

Okay, just thought I should let you know so that when next you eat 'fresh water' fish you will have an idea of how they are farmed cheesy

N. B. Catfish is a fresh water fish wink

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Atlantian: 9:12am On Aug 09, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Okay, just thought I should let you know so that when next you eat 'fresh water' fish you will have an idea of how they are farmed cheesy

N. B. Catfish is a fresh water fish wink
Then I will eat more catfish and not mudfish. Thanks
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 9:17am On Aug 09, 2015
Atlantian:
Then I will eat more catfish and not mudfish. Thanks

Catfish is also called mudfish bro grin

N. B. The OP is rearing catfish in his pix.

Have a nice Sunday sir. Ciao!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Atlantian: 9:34am On Aug 09, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Do not act silly, cos you are not silly. Have a beautiful sunday.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by WhoBeThisMan: 9:40am On Aug 09, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Oga belexyfarms abeg no mind that guy, kpako dey come form ajebutter for here. Comot for road jor.
Oga belexy, how much do they buy millange now? How much does it cost to raise them to millange level? And is the sales of millange still good?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Tats(m): 10:09am On Aug 09, 2015
It must be very stressful for those fishes. There is no space for them to move or swim!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

17 Health Benefits Of Ewe Akintola, CHROMOLAENA ODORATA / Feeding Questions On Broiler Production..Lets Share Knowledge(pictures incl..) / The Lizard We Killed Trying To Eat Our Eggs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 1
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.