Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know (7491 Views)

Why You'll Never Make Front Page / Tips On How To Make Front Page On Nairaland / What Makes A Thread Make Front Page On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2015
Good day everyone. I would like to use this medium to show you all a guide on how to create front page worthy topics.

I know some people may ask; what gives me the right to create a thread like this? Who do I think I am?
.....Well, going through my profile you would notice that more than half of my topics have been on the home page and on my former account, I also had similar statistics( over 11 threads made front page) and the threads were spread around different sections.
In fact, there was a day I made front page thrice.

I am not saying this to boast, or to make making front page seem as a major achievement, but I created this thread because there has been a lot of false information and erroneous notions as to how to get ones topic to the home page and I felt I should clear the air.

Some people actually have this wrong mindset that front page is for a particular group of Nairalanders and that you have to "know somebody" before you can make front page and I want to put to null all those false notions and assumptions.

So be calm, relax and be open minded as we partake on this exciting and informative journey together.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 08, 2015
First of all, what is front page? Front page as it is commonly called, is basically the home page of this forum. It's where the most important threads and pressing topics posted from various sections are showcased for every member and none member to see, read and gain information from.

It's the page anyone who logs into nairaland sees first and the topics on it are updated on a constant basis.

So, now that we understand what the home page is, let's move on to the next phase of this discussion which is to understand who actually moves threads to the home page and how they are moved
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 08, 2015
Nairaland has moderators whose jobs are to ensure orderliness on the forum, but contrary to what most people believe, not every moderator moves topics to the home page.

On Nairaland, Moderators are divided into two catgories: There are sectional moderators and super moderators.

The sectional moderators are those moderators whose basic jobs are to maintain law and order on the section he or she moderates.

The super moderators on the other hand, are the ones that move topics to the home page.

Mind you, a super moderator can also double as a sectional moderator. Example, of such moderator is ishilove.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by eleko1: 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2015
sad Fp has bin hijack by Lady F,introvert and that terrorist iyangbali.As Baba is about to appoint his kitchen cabinet,hope he appoint iyangbali as his cook,make we rest here.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by angieberry(f): 3:40pm On Aug 08, 2015
Good one misssclassy smiley
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 08, 2015
Now, what kind of topics do these super mods deem front page worthy.
What kind of threads do they just see and move. What are the criteria they look for in these threads?
What would make them single out a thread on the midst of hundreds of other threads and choose to move it to the home page?

This I will explain below.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by fejikudz(m): 3:43pm On Aug 08, 2015
cool
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 08, 2015
angieberry:
Good one misssclassy smiley

wink
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2015
There a certain crucial factors a super mods looks for in a thread before deeming it fit to post it on the home page.

These are those factors:
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Destined2win: 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2015
Young lady, you are beginning to sound calmer and friendly these days.

What's the secret?
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 08, 2015
How Nigerian Is The Thread

One thing a lot of people fail to pay cognizance to is that nairaland is actually a Nigerian forum aimed at promoting Nigerian news, culture and lifestyle and as such, most of the threads on it's home page should do just that.

In creating a thread aimed at making front page, you have to ask yourself; is this thread or information I am passing across promoting Nigerian culture?
Is it an information that would benefit Nigeria as a nation? Is it something that would provide a foreigner who logs into nairaland from another country information about Nigeria?
Is it something that would educate an outsider about Nigeria?

These are questions you should ask yourself.

Nairaland is viewed by a lot of people as the microcosm of Nigeria and as such, majority of the threads on it's home page should be information that concerns Nigeria and Nigerians.

This is a major criteria the super mods use in moving topics to the home page.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Young03(m): 3:56pm On Aug 08, 2015
finally, its written by TOCHI
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
Threads That Convey Breaking News

Just as the title implies, I am referring to threads that carry information that needs to be digested by the public "immediately"
Such threads include news of catastrophe eg, bombings, wars, clashes, riots.
Political developments, appointments, news of natural disasters and accidents...etc.

The thing about such threads like this is that it is easy to make front page with them and not just that, you will make front page minutes and sometimes seconds after creating them, but also, when you don't, it becomes impossible to.
You may ask why?
Well, due to the fact that this threads carry breaking news, there will be a high number of people who would create them( and around the same time frame) and funny enough, only one person would make front page.

Now you may ask, how does the super mod choose which thread to move. Well, this is done on the basis of first come, first serve.
The first person to post that information, gets his thread on front page first. As simple as that.

So when creating such a thread, always endeavor to go through the sections where that thread is supposed to posted, and make such thread isn't posted already, if not, all you would be doing is spamming that very section.

I have seen people complain that their threads have never made front page, and I took time to go through those threads and I found out that such threads had already made front page.

So like I said, for breaking news threads, it's always first come, first serve.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by kodded(m): 4:05pm On Aug 08, 2015
Let me tell you the simplest way smiley

upload any tonto dike related news sad

1 Like

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 08, 2015
Links To Your Source

This is another important factor a lot of people tend to overlook.
Links are very important. With the high rate of plagiarism, the super mods always ensure that threads posted on the home page always have links in them.
This is so that credit would be given to the original poster of whatever information you are passing across.

Although there is an exception to this, and that exception is if you the poster is the original source of this information you are passing across and the super mod can verify that.

For instance, threads in form of informative articles about a particular subject, created by certain people eg...tosyne2much, emusmith, barcanista and even some of the ones I created don't come with links, but the posters of such threads always specify that they are the source and the original compilers of such information.

So if you are creative enough to create your own "article-like" thread, always make sure you stipulate it but if you aren't the originator of such piece of information, make sure you post the link to the original source.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 08, 2015
Pictures

Pictures are very important. They convey a more vivid description of the information being passed across.

One thing you most know is that when posting threads, especially the ones that carry political, crime and celebrity news, always endeavor to post pictures.

For instance, If you post a news about a man that drugged and raped a girl or a news about a certain politician involved in a certain form of controversy, or a ghastly accident that happened and you create this threads without posting any pictures and someone else creates that exact thread and posts pictures, even if you were the first person to create that thread, the other person's thread would be moved to the home page.

So, always try to post pictures on your threads.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 08, 2015
How Interesting And Engaging Is The Thread

This is a very essential factor to always put into consideration.
The truth is that Nairaland is also a business venture and as such, a supermod would always try as much as possible to send topics to the home page that are capable of garnering traffic.

If your topic isn't interesting and engaging, a super mod will not move it the home page.
So, always consider this when creating threads you want on the home page.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 08, 2015
Ingenuity Of The Thread Or Topic

Before creating a thread you hope to make front page with, you should ask yourself; how original is this thread I am creating. What benefit is it aimed at.
Is it a stale topic, Or is it something new that has never been discussed before.
When creating a thread try to be creative and bring something new to the plate. Something Nigerians haven't seen before.

These questions are essential because a super mod would rather move an original and inventive topic, than one that has already been seen and dealt with in times past.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 08, 2015
Learn to Post On The Right Section

This is a mistake most people make and they later wonder why their threads don't make the front page.

When you don't post your threads on the right section, it decreases the chances that thread will get the desired traffic and attention that it needs and in turn it might not get the also get the attention of a super mod and so, would not get moved to the home page, so always make sure your topics are posted on the right section
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2015
Celebrity Gist

Like I stated earlier, one thing nairaland yearns for is traffic and guess what? Celebrity gist always garners traffic.
But it's not all celebrity gist that the super mods move to the home page. It's majorly news involving Nigerian celebrities.

So don't post a news involving kim kardashian and expect it to make front page. No, it won't. Except such gist has something to do with Nigeria or a Nigerian.

Also, there are some Nigerian celebrities that any news concerning them always generate traffic. So what's important is for you to know this people and post interesting news concerning them.

And don't forget, before you do this, always peruse through the section and be sure no ones has created such thread before.
And don't also forget to add a link to your source.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2015
Lalasticlala

A lot of people are very conversant with this moniker and a lot of questions are asked on a daily basis that bother on who he is and his role on this forum

Well, he is the number one super mod in charge of sending topics to the home page.
In fact, that basically his job.
In addition to moving topics, he also sources for information on a lot of pressing Nigerian topics and posts them on the home page.

So because of this, a lot of people tag his moniker at the end of their threads so he would see them and move them if he finds them to be front page worthy.

So whenever you want to create a topic, always make sure lalasticlala hasn't created that thread already, because any thread he creates, he sends to the home page.
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2015
Always Remember To Tag The Super-Mods.

Finally, always remember to tag the super mods when you create a topic.
This is because they might not get to view all the threads on a section and might miss some out, so to make sure they see yours, always endeavor to tag them when you create a thread or when you see a thread that you think is front page worthy.

To do this, all you do is cc their moniker at the end of your original post.

For example

Your post

Cc
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

Just like that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2015
So that's it guys. This is the little bit of information I wanted to pass across.

Thanks for your time.

4 Likes

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by tosyne2much(m): 7:27pm On Aug 08, 2015
Oooooh my God !!

This is so on point... If you follow all the aforementioned rules and your topics still doesn't get to the FP, then it's an indication that your problem is from the village cool

6 Likes

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 08, 2015
Nice one, misssclassy. This thread is quite enlightening and informative. But we must also remember to add that sometimes, a MOD does not move topics to front page because of any of these your points, but because he/she "just feels like" moving it to front page. Let's just be sincere enough to admit that. cool cool

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 08, 2015
Joblessness turn misssclassy to lecturer on nairaland. angry sad

1 Like

Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 09, 2015
Kingfanak:
Jobless turn misssclassy to lecturer on nairaland. angry sad

undecided
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by RobinHez(m): 7:36am On Aug 09, 2015
embarassed
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by hadura29(m): 10:29am On Aug 09, 2015
Nice one...
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by IsaacBuchi(m): 11:32am On Aug 09, 2015
I love misssclassy sad
Re: How To Make Front Page: Important Things You Should Know by tobeetoe(m): 12:15pm On Aug 09, 2015
Coughs! my best of understanding. Anypost updated on LIB and also posted on NL always make FP

(1) (2) (Reply)

Home Remedies To Grow A Beard Or Facial Hair Faster! / Davido's Son David Adedeji Adeleke Jr Hit 23k Followers On Instagram / 2go: An Evil Or A Blessing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.