Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard (65040 Views)

Firstbank ATMs – Accounts For 37% Of Bills Payment Services On ATMs In Nigeria / CBN Reviews Limits On Mobile Money Transaction, Balance / Banks Reduce Lending To Economy By N292bn In Q2 – Nbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by ELVISHOT: 1:23am On Aug 11, 2015
LAGOS — The battle for defence of the Naira value has widened, affecting existing withdrawal limits on Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) and foreign transactions on all existing Naira debit cards (ATM cards).

In the new arrangement, all ATMs that were hitherto enabled for domestic and foreign transactions have been restructured to limit Naira cash withdrawal at ATMs to N60,000 per day while foreign currency is $300 per day. Hitherto, the domestic withdrawal limit was N150,000 per day.

The new arrangement has separated traditional ATM from MasterCard credit card where the former has now been deactivated and can no longer be used for transactions abroad. Hitherto, a single ATM card serves for transactions for both domestic and abroad.

Also, the restructured cards now have spending limits on POS/eCommerce (online shopping) pegged at $300 (about N60,000) per day. Before this, the limit was N2 million per day.

In the new arrangement, a bank customer with multiple debit cards (ATM cards), only the one linked to the primary transactional account will be enabled for use abroad. Hitherto, such customers could transact with any of the cards that is funded.
However, banks are putting in place alternatives in these adjustments to address the concern of customers who are now being directed by their banks to reapply for a new card arrangement to suit their purposes.

For instance, Standard Chartered Bank has asked its customers to request a complementary ATM card for domestic use only so that the original N150,000 daily cash withdrawal limit can be restored and also reactivate POS/online purchase limit of N2 million per day.

The bank also required their customers to apply for a foreign currency denominated ATM linked to domiciliary account which would be enabled with no daily or annual international transaction limits.
Earlier, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc had informed its customers of its decision to reduce the daily international spending limit on their Naira MasterCard to $300 with effect from yesterday.
In a communication to the customers, the bank explained: “In view of the increased difficulty in sourcing foreign currency to settle international transactions on Naira MasterCards, we have reduced the daily international spending limit on your Naira MasterCard to $300.This means that you can only spend up to $300 daily when using your GTBank Naira MasterCard for international payments via POS and online.

“You will, however, continue to have the option of paying for medical bills, school fees, mortgages and credit cards using Form A, as these are eligible transactions for foreign currency. Simply visit any GTBank branch to complete a Form A along with the required documents to make these payments.”
These developments were coming on the heels of Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) statement on Sunday that all legitimate requests for foreign currency for eligible transactions, normally referred to as “invisibles,” such as remittances for school fees, student maintenance allowances, BTA, PTA, medical and other eligible transactions, shall be fully met at the official/interbank exchange rate.
A statement from the CBN added that already all the legitimate demands for such transactions through recognised channels have so far been fully met by CBN.

The statement stated: “The CBN hereby directs all authorised dealers in foreign exchange in Nigeria to henceforth treat as top priority all legitimate demand for foreign exchange for eligible transactions.

“The CBN once again advises individuals that wish to source foreign currency for such eligible transactions to approach their banks with their legitimate demand as the CBN has made adequate provisions of foreign currency for all such legitimate and eligible purposes.

“Furthermore, holders of Naira denominated debit and credit cards shall continue to have access to the use of their cards at ATMs in any part of the world but subject to the annual limit of $50,000. ATM Withdrawsaws shall continue to be a maximum of of $300 per day.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/banks-reduce-withdrawal-limits-on-atms/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by repogirl(f): 1:32am On Aug 11, 2015
Tightening of the whole economy....

Is this sustainable? I hope so.

3 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by dapyd1(m): 1:54am On Aug 11, 2015
I'm not sure of the big-picture economic implication.
But I know it's going to put a strain on the business man on the street, and judging by the results of recent CBN policies,
I am not optimistic at all concerning the implications of this one either.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 1:56am On Aug 11, 2015
Those that don't have anything in their account are the ones that will start making noise and booking space, just watch.

102 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by BrownCookie(f): 2:02am On Aug 11, 2015
Is this really going to help
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by BrownCookie(f): 2:03am On Aug 11, 2015
MrCuddles:
Those that don't have anything in their account are the ones that will start making noise and booking space, just watch.
grin grin grin grin grin

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Adesiji77: 4:21am On Aug 11, 2015
Really? If so, then online banking to the rescue... cool

Cc: lalasticlala

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by lordtech(m): 4:26am On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmm, na wa oh shocked shocked. What pains me most is I'm about to be contracted for a big deal embarassed. Thank GOD the news came early though cheesy. There must always be a way out. Will start thinking & working on a PLAN B ***searching mode activated ****
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Pavore9: 4:51am On Aug 11, 2015
CBN should also focus on mobile money,where one's mobile phone is also his account number even banks are not needed in this but relcos just just as the Kenyan economy relies heavily on mobile money operators such as Mpesa, Airtel money, Orange money etc.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by SPG4U(m): 6:48am On Aug 11, 2015
[size=20pt]this is a very bad move

Now it will take 3 days to withdraw $1000 from my payoneer master card

I hope dis is not true [size]

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 11, 2015
SPG4U:
[size=20pt]this is a very bad move

Now it will take 3 days to withdraw $1000 from my payoneer master card

I hope dis is not true [size]
So you been wan spoil our eyes with your size 20 font before ba? Werey

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by SPG4U(m): 7:04am On Aug 11, 2015
FriedPlantain:
So you been wan spoil our eyes with your size 20 font before ba? Werey
hmmmm u knw say after person write letter finish he fo write his name under

Dat was exactly wat u did by writing werey under ur comment

Well u gat a nice name though

89 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by fatdon2(m): 7:22am On Aug 11, 2015
The new CBN man is brainless , I thought we where moving to a cashless economy. Now people will prefer to have their money kept in
their homes. Bcus withdrawing above the counter also has its limit and charges are applied. Now ATM has its daily limit. So in other word they reducing the purchasing power of us and hereby allowing us to have our money in our home saves. Bad policies.

110 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by kenedy175(m): 7:49am On Aug 11, 2015
This doesn't make sense! How will it help ?

4 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by donholy28(m): 7:49am On Aug 11, 2015
Imagine!!! Limit for me to collect my own money?..Lubbish

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by seangy4konji: 7:49am On Aug 11, 2015
Ok now...
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Sirgen05(m): 7:50am On Aug 11, 2015
THE CHANGE WE NEED?

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by DaGC(m): 7:50am On Aug 11, 2015
After receiving the email yesterday, I was frankly disappointed cry
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by chrisviral(m): 7:50am On Aug 11, 2015
Sorry, but you're passing an old and wrong information.
According to the recent message from my bank, it has been revised to around 2000 dollars per month with the option of using it all in one day (and waiting till the next month) and about 3 million NGN over POS (same rule applies)

Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Icecomrade: 7:51am On Aug 11, 2015
This is bad news for
Those customers who doesn't want to subscribe to Internet an Mobile banking. Let's see where you get cash to pay for everything.

Those shop owners who feels they do banks favor by taking free POS for their own transactions. Am very sure they will be scrambling to banks now begging for POS machines.

Those banks who thought e-banking is a good reason to deplete staff strength. Throw people into labour market. Behold crowd in your banking hall.

11 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Akshow: 7:51am On Aug 11, 2015
Good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 11, 2015
If it will help, no problem..

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by lonelydora: 7:51am On Aug 11, 2015
Make them no try this joke with me.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by chigomiced: 7:51am On Aug 11, 2015
cashless economy tyns

the world is moving to online banking>>>>>>>>> nigerians should learn to adapt and evolve tongue

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by colossus2: 7:52am On Aug 11, 2015
SPG4U:
hmmmm u knw say after person write letter finish he fo write his name under

Dat was exactly wat u did by writing werey under ur comment

Well u gat a nice name though
Falls from aloe-vera tree grin

9 Likes

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 11, 2015
donholy28:
Imagine!!! Limit for me to collect my own money?..Lubbish
Did you read the thread?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by kennyman2000(m): 7:52am On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmmm...
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:52am On Aug 11, 2015
Lets see how this helps
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Elxandre(m): 7:52am On Aug 11, 2015
So, say I need a gadget from Ebay worth $600, I can no longer get it?
Why are there still stuff worth over 60k on Konga if I really can't pay for them anymore

Please break it down to the language I can understand ooo..

Baba Sunday, please make me one strong wooden box with ten German padlocks, e be like say Bank don tire me tongue

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by zicoraads: 7:52am On Aug 11, 2015
60k only for ATM? This is not good embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is Folarin Alakija & Nazanin Jafarian's White Wedding The Most Lavish Ever? / Burial Of Tonimas: Anthony Obiagboso Enukeme In Pictures / Youwin 4th Edition Is Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.