Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,636 members, 7,801,836 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! (24846 Views)

Self Employment Or O & G Job / The Differences Between Entrepreneurship & Self-employment / Excuse Me, Mr. Anti Self-employment Advocate! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by free2ryhme: 8:20am On Aug 22, 2015
grin

Tell them raw and bold
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by udemedia: 8:21am On Aug 22, 2015
good one
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by NetPay: 8:21am On Aug 22, 2015
DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE

2 Likes

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by niggi4life(m): 8:23am On Aug 22, 2015
Nice Post!!!!! very educative and realistic
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by olafestid(m): 8:23am On Aug 22, 2015
That means you are not still okay with your job for aiming to be Ceo at shell, anyway nice article.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 22, 2015
I agree with the OP 85% . Well , what matters most is one making a living from one's passion - one's passion can be found in either paid employment or entrepreneurship ( hay people , trading and self employment are not bad but there's a wide difference between them and an entrepreneur ) . I believe so long as one is good in what he does and having passion for that he does he will be rich . However , as I said before just with entrepreneurship , one in paid employment can be rich nay comfortable but it's hard if not impossible to be wealthy from paid employment .

More so , entrepreneurship will help broaden/unlimit your intellectual horizon since you need all the information you can get at every given time to remain updated informed in what you do ( just as journalist nose for news , so also do entrepreneurs nose for information and good business opportunities ) , thus justifying the saying " leaders are readers " . Does that make people in paid employment intellectually lazy , no . But if you are not the type that love working long/odd/off hours/days entrepreneurship is not for you . I don't expect every body that read this post to understand and agree with my points , so I expects critics to feast on my person in particular and opinion in general .

In summary , I , for one , I will always remain a proponent of entrepreneurship : Why work FOR someone when you can work WITH such person ? Yes , it takes one with procedural knowledge to start and remain evergreen in the business world . Therefore , entrepreneurship is not for those with declarative knowledge instead it's for those that has procedural knowledge and the good thing is that you don't necessarily need to serve a someone or a company before you can acquire a procedural knowledge about some certain things ( perhaps this justifies the saying " some entrepreneurs as born not made " ).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by shizzy7(f): 8:24am On Aug 22, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Op, one question for you. In Nigeria where getting a salaried employment is sooooo hard, we all know the unemployment rate, what do you advise? The person stays at home for years and keeps waiting for imaginary jobs Instead of hitting the streets? especially when you have nobody fending for you.

Nobody is forcing anyone who has no capital, good business idea or execution to venture into business. The speakers you talk about are simply giving their opinions and whoever wants to take, takes.. Nigeria with its large population holds a relatively good business environment because out of about 160million people, few must patronise your products na... Except them follow you from village grin grin... Also, labour is cheap in Nigeria, you can even hire a graduate for as low as 20k per month or even less grin lipsrsealed embarassed

You forget that all these big companies including oil companies which you crave to work for were founded by someone just like you?

I can only agree with you as regards demonising paid employment, they can pass their message without making those who work for people feel like slaves...

The writer of this article is so diplomatic, says he's on salaried job for now, why don't you be for life? grin. ..
The owner of the platform you got your writeup from has a paid employment but runs his side business. Why isn't he dependent on his salaried job alone? That should tell you the importance of having your own no matter how small....

For me, by God's grace I will have my own successful business in the nearest future, Amen.. Then, employ graduates cool
Dear Thank you,,, you simply stole my post,,, But I couldn't have written it any better... Thumbs up..
For a country whose economy is saddled by Foreign dominance and a Buyers market,,, No productivity whatsoever....
When some foreign companies pack up that's when you will know that you're on a Loooong thing..

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by MistaHumble(m): 8:25am On Aug 22, 2015
True talk.. But its no ones fault. Who will employ you in shell and let alone work hard to the top as CEO.
Everyone will love to work in a good company but getting the job is the issue which makes people turn to the self employment sector.

After struggling to get degree its not even enough. These big companies already go to foreign countries looking for best graduating students while those schooling here are expecting jobs from them.

In as much as what you said seems true, its not as real as it sounds cus its harder than jamb exam.

2 Likes

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 22, 2015
All i can say here is : "THOSE WHO ARE AFRAID TO MAKE THEIR DREAMS COME THROUGH WORK HARDER TO MAKE ANOTHER MAN'S DREAM A REALITY" - May19.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by bigx(m): 8:29am On Aug 22, 2015
Seeking for jobs or creating jobs is a matter of choice. Like deciding to marry a fair or dark wife. All lead to the same destination - making a living.

I've run businesses practically all my life but when friends come to ask me for advice, it's only very few I'd tell to start a business, from indiscipline, to financial mis-education, to lack of prioritisation skills, refusal to learn, unlearn and relearn, inability to delegate, inability to persevere, lack of focus, zero selling and networking skills, poor business sense and co, there are so many things that'd send the average person on a highway to business failure.

My sentiments are the same with the poster. A lot of people would thrive better in a disciplined, structured and regulated environment than in trying to create one.

Search yourself before starting a business before you wreck yourself!

2 Likes

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by shizzy7(f): 8:29am On Aug 22, 2015
May19:
All i can say here is : THOSE WHO ARE AFRAID TO MAKE THERE DREAMS COME THROUGH WORK HARDER TO MAKE ANOTHER MAN'S DREAM COME THROUGH
Its their
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Eshinery(m): 8:37am On Aug 22, 2015
neahyo:
The last decade has witnessed a surge in all manner of motivational talk in Nigeria. Hundreds of seminars and thousands of articles have been churned out by the motivational talkers and the frenzy continues to gain momentum. This is good, as everyone surely needs motivation.
One of the most common subjects of such talks is entrepreneurship/self-employment. Good subject. I believe it is good to be self- employed and seriously craves being one. The benefits of owning one’s business are pretty obvious: you are in full control of your resources (time, finance, etc), you share all the rewards. Fine point. Owning one’s business is clearly one of the best goals a person should desire to achieve. It even makes you exercise your brain more. Most of the richest people in the world own their businesses, their brands. Aliko Dangote owns Dangote Group (although being a PLC, he doesn’t have 100% ownership); Mike Adenuga owns the Adenuga empire; Michael Dell owns Dell Computers; Bill Gates owns Microsoft; Mark Zuckerberg and friends own Facebook, etc. These guys are bottomless moneybags. No disputing that. They have done their selves some good by coming up with some ideas and making money from them. The entrepreneurship advocates therefore have in them fantastic examples to draw from in their self-employment sermonizing. But that is where it ends.

The self-employment preachers in Nigeria, good as their intention is, are however beginning to go off the mark. And this is where my problem with them lies. There is a dangerous trend of demonizing paid employment in the thriving business of self-employment advocacy. Every Ade, Ada and Adamu that can string two words together has turned into self-employment preacher and the fad is to demonize paid employment. Being in salaried job, to them, is slavery.
First, our self-employment advocates oversimplify things and sometimes when you listen to them or read what they write, you begin to wonder why they are not Dangote themselves. To be sure, I don’t have a problem with self-employment preachment; indeed, it is my ultimate goal too to own companies and businesses too, on full time basis. I also hold that being self-employed, if one gets it right, is better than being under someone else’s control. But is everyone cut out for being self- employed? Capital NO.

This is why I think in the process of advancing their advocacy, salaried jobs should not be demonized. I don’t believe salary job is necessarily slavery. I also don’t hold that you cannot be rich with paid job. You may not be as rich as Dangote or Adenuga, but if you work hard to become CEO of Shell Nigeria (a salaried job), for instance, I doubt your next generation can ever be poor. Not everyone will be as rich as Dangote, but with a dint of hardwork, becoming a manager in a decent company can earn you decent saving, and with sensible investment (preparing for retirement), you can live a satisfactory post-salary life.

I have seen some young graduates and prospective graduates vowing they can never work for anyone and they will go straight into entrepreneurship. Good one, if you have the idea. But managing businesses most times goes beyond the theories we read in those materials and the smooth talk of the self- employment advocates. Apart from the constraint of raising capital to fund the idea, there is an even more critical factor in management. Most times if you have never worked for any other person, you may find it difficult in running your own businesses.

Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun founded GTB after working for other banks; Aig-Imoukhude and Herbert Wigwe apprenticed with GTB before breaking out to found Access Bank. Most of these guys cut their management teeth working for someone else. This is why I hold that learning by being under someone else’s employ is most times helpful. Of course, I have not said it is necessarily the case. It is very possible to go straight into one’s business after finishing school and still go ahead to make it big. Aliko Dangote is an example here. He started straight away. So, oh you self-employment preacher, before you tell me I am a slave for choosing the path of salaried employment (for now), know you that the CEO of Shell is a ‘slave’ to Shell. I want to be one.
www.jarushub.com/excuse-me-mr-self-employment-advocate/
Cc lalasticlala
self-employment pays
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Qyubee(m): 8:39am On Aug 22, 2015
very true @ op

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by socialmediaman: 8:39am On Aug 22, 2015
Very good write up @OP. Most times, the challenge of the entrepreneur, apart from capital, is experience. Even with love for a particular business, one needs experience.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Adesiji77: 8:40am On Aug 22, 2015
cheesy grin

Too much hype....

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 8:41am On Aug 22, 2015
Thavybe:
These people forget that it is not every persons dream to dive into entrepreneurship.

Some people just prefer to be employed due to them being more risk averse and some other pertinent factors.
But I still think our altimeter goal should be self employment t as that's where we can develop.take a look at the west.every breakthrough came fru self employed people.do t that tell you a lot??

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 8:42am On Aug 22, 2015
socialmediaman:
Very good write up @OP. Most times, the challenge of the entrepreneur, apart from capital, is experience. Even with love for a particular business, one needs experience.
I disagree with you. I believe it's PASSION
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 8:42am On Aug 22, 2015
Eshinery:
self-employment pays
It does and you get your jobs worth
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by neahyo(m): 8:42am On Aug 22, 2015
myklangelo:
We are all cut out for different things... writer you missed the small mark.
The reason why people advocate for self employment most times is for self discovery and advancement of oneself at your own chosen pace.
People advocate for it mostly in our country because to get job is now as hard as an Igbo person becoming a president, and it is harder for some people from certain area in Nigeria to get fed jobs that is why they advocate mostly for self employment.

No one demonizes working for anyone, but mostly people that work for others do complain alot here of victimization.

We all look for good, anywhere you see it, go for it.

THE FIRST AND ONLY TOTALLY IGBO LANGUAGE BLOG...Asụsụ Igbo ga-adịrịrị
www.odeniigbo.com
what if you get lost when trying to find yourself?
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by UncleJudax(m): 8:43am On Aug 22, 2015
You have got to realise that some people are accidental entrepreneurs, you make it look as though salary-based jobs are littered everywhere. angry

Sure you, OP, has got a point, but anyone that thinks that s/he is not cut out for entrepreneurship (many aren't), shouldn't take the advocacy to heart.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by neahyo(m): 8:47am On Aug 22, 2015
Empero1:

The OP has valid points . What matters most is making a living from your passion - one's passion can be found in either paid employment or self employment nay entrepreneurship . I believe so long as one is good in what he does and having passion for that he does he will be fulfilled and happy . Wait I still have a lot to say .
thank you joor
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by socialmediaman: 8:47am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

I disagree with you. I believe it's PASSION

With passion and no experience, you'll likely rise and fall many times before you stabilize. Passion mostly makes you stay strong and focused during adversity, experience guides you
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Okies27(m): 8:52am On Aug 22, 2015
neahyo:
The last decade has witnessed a surge in all
manner of motivational talk in Nigeria.
Hundreds of seminars and thousands of articles
have been churned out by the motivational
talkers and the frenzy continues to gain
momentum. This is good, as everyone surely
needs motivation.

One of the most common subjects of such
talks is entrepreneurship/self-employment.
Good subject. I believe it is good to be self-
employed and seriously craves being one. The
benefits of owning one’s business are pretty
obvious: you are in full control of your
resources (time, finance, etc), you share all the
rewards. Fine point.
Owning one’s business is clearly one of the
best goals a person should desire to achieve. It
even makes you exercise your brain more. Most
of the richest people in the world own their
businesses, their brands. Aliko Dangote owns
Dangote Group (although being a PLC, he
doesn’t have 100% ownership); Mike Adenuga
owns the Adenuga empire; Michael Dell owns
Dell Computers; Bill Gates owns Microsoft;
Mark Zuckerberg and friends own Facebook,
etc.
These guys are bottomless moneybags. No
disputing that. They have done their selves
some good by coming up with some ideas and
making money from them. The
entrepreneurship advocates therefore have in
them fantastic examples to draw from in their
self-employment sermonizing. But that is where
it ends.

The self-employment preachers in Nigeria, good
as their intention is, are however beginning to
go off the mark. And this is where my problem
with them lies. There is a dangerous trend of
demonizing paid employment in the thriving
business of self-employment advocacy. Every
Ade, Ada and Adamu that can string two words
together has turned into self-employment
preacher and the fad is to demonize paid
employment. Being in salaried job, to them, is
slavery.

First, our self-employment advocates
oversimplify things and sometimes when you
listen to them or read what they write, you
begin to wonder why they are not Dangote
themselves. To be sure, I don’t have a problem
with self-employment preachment; indeed, it is
my ultimate goal too to own companies and
businesses too, on full time basis. I also hold
that being self-employed, if one gets it right, is
better than being under someone else’s control.
But is everyone cut out for being self-
employed? Capital NO.

This is why I think in the process of advancing
their advocacy, salaried jobs should not be
demonized. I don’t believe salary job is
necessarily slavery. I also don’t hold that you
cannot be rich with paid job. You may not be
as rich as Dangote or Adenuga, but if you work
hard to become CEO of Shell Nigeria (a salaried
job), for instance, I doubt your next generation
can ever be poor. Not everyone will be as rich
as Dangote, but with a dint of hardwork,
becoming a manager in a decent company can
earn you decent saving, and with sensible
investment (preparing for retirement), you can
live a satisfactory post-salary life.

I have seen some young graduates and
prospective graduates vowing they can never
work for anyone and they will go straight into
entrepreneurship. Good one, if you have the
idea. But managing businesses most times
goes beyond the theories we read in those
materials and the smooth talk of the self-
employment advocates. Apart from the
constraint of raising capital to fund the idea,
there is an even more critical factor in
management. Most times if you have never
worked for any other person, you may find it
difficult in running your own businesses.

Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun founded GTB
after working for other banks; Aig-Imoukhude
and Herbert Wigwe apprenticed with GTB
before breaking out to found Access Bank.
Most of these guys cut their management
teeth working for someone else. This is why I
hold that learning by being under someone
else’s employ is most times helpful. Of course,
I have not said it is necessarily the case. It is
very possible to go straight into one’s business
after finishing school and still go ahead to
make it big. Aliko Dangote is an example here.
He started straight away.
So, oh you self-employment preacher, before
you tell me I am a slave for choosing the path
of salaried employment (for now), know you
that the CEO of Shell is a ‘slave’ to Shell. I
want to be one.

www.jarushub.com/excuse-me-mr-self-employment-advocate/

Cc lalasticlala
. This is a good piece. Truth be told,these motivational speakers springing up everywhere in naija no get job. One way to become self-employed,they took up this form of trade. If one way close,another way go open
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by digitsolution: 8:53am On Aug 22, 2015
LOL.....I like the part of being a slave to shell.
Frankly speaking if most Nigerians can get a 6digit salary or even less in 100s they will gladly work because we all crave security.
Most people embark on the self employment part strictly for survival not passion hence why their business folds up.......anyway each to his own whatever rocks your boat rock on!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by ijbeauty(f): 8:54am On Aug 22, 2015
God bless you op...
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Blackkie: 8:56am On Aug 22, 2015
The drift is understandable.
Demonizing salary earning aint the best.
However, we need more of entrepreneurs in Nigeria than salary earners.
Businesses employ people more, thus the need for more and more Nigerians to look towards that end.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by koolly009: 8:59am On Aug 22, 2015
Learn to speak & write : German, French, Spanish, portuguese, Russian, Italian, Chinese, English and Nigerian languages i.e, Hausa, Yoruba & Igbo. 
+ Preparation class for TOEFL, IELTS, DELF, DALF & Zert Deutsch. 
+ German re-union visa preparatory class. 
+ Apply for undergraduates / ‎masters study in Germany. 

Address:        B - Close, 1st Avenue, Gwarinpa. 
Mr Kolade.   : 08035949272‎
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by neahyo(m): 9:01am On Aug 22, 2015
bigx:
Seeking for jobs or creating jobs is a matter of choice. Like deciding to marry a fair or dark wife. All lead to the same destination - making a living.

I've run businesses practically all my life but when friends come to ask me for advice, it's only very few I'd tell to start a business, from indiscipline, to financial mis-education, to lack of prioritisation skills, refusal to learn, unlearn and relearn, inability to delegate, inability to persevere, lack of focus, zero selling and networking skills, poor business sense and co, there are so many things that'd send the average person on a highway to business failure.

My sentiments are the same with the poster. A lot of people would thrive better in a disciplined, structured and regulated environment than in trying to create one.

Search yourself before starting a business before you wreck yourself!

Thank you sir for your words of wisdom, you are more than right..Most times i watch the guys that hawk in traffic jam; their agility, intelligence, negotiating skills, persuasiveness, and numeric ability really motivates me to do better.

It's really funny when some people think being an entrepreneur gives you the liberty to sleep when you want to, travel when you like to and many other things not knowing all these are mirage.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by kevoh(m): 9:04am On Aug 22, 2015
Common sense is important and should be applied where necessary. If you get a job with good salary please take it, if you have not had any job years after NYSC please start a business. Don't just sit at home blaming the village witches for being unemployed! DO SOMETHING TO HELP YOUR LIFE!

2 Likes

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by joseph1832(m): 9:06am On Aug 22, 2015
These motivation speakers are just out there to make money off the un suspecting unemployed youth, all the more reason why I don't even bother listening to them or encourage anyone to.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Mznaett: 9:09am On Aug 22, 2015
NetPay:
DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE
Only to you? Right? undecided
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Etizz: 9:12am On Aug 22, 2015
What suprise me is dat, if everyone is self employed, who will work for your firm or company

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Finance And Economics, Which Is Better? / My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer / 20 Skills To Learn Instead Of Watching Tv.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.