Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,867 members, 7,806,462 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! (24855 Views)

Self Employment Or O & G Job / The Differences Between Entrepreneurship & Self-employment / Excuse Me, Mr. Anti Self-employment Advocate! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:12am On Aug 22, 2015
socialmediaman:

With passion and no experience, you'll likely rise and fall many times before you stabilize. Passion mostly makes you stay strong and focused during adversity, experience guides you
Wen U have passion yoy keep trying no matter how much you fail.yoy get expirience as you go along learning new ways of doing what you do.However U need initial capital in all cases but is that not why most people travel out of Nigeria?
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:13am On Aug 22, 2015
joseph1832:
These motivation speakers are just out there to make money off the un suspecting unemployed youth, all the more reason why I don't even bother listening to them or encourage anyone to.
They are self employed grin
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Etizz: 9:14am On Aug 22, 2015
Mznaett:

Only to you? Right? undecided
U shouldn't have reply him....... He's just looking for attention.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2015
neahyo:
The last decade has witnessed a surge in all manner of motivational talk in Nigeria. Hundreds of seminars and thousands of articles have been churned out by the motivational talkers and the frenzy continues to gain momentum. This is good, as everyone surely needs motivation.
One of the most common subjects of such talks is entrepreneurship/self-employment. Good subject. I believe it is good to be self- employed and seriously craves being one. The benefits of owning one’s business are pretty obvious: you are in full control of your resources (time, finance, etc), you share all the rewards. Fine point. Owning one’s business is clearly one of the best goals a person should desire to achieve. It even makes you exercise your brain more. Most of the richest people in the world own their businesses, their brands. Aliko Dangote owns Dangote Group (although being a PLC, he doesn’t have 100% ownership); Mike Adenuga owns the Adenuga empire; Michael Dell owns Dell Computers; Bill Gates owns Microsoft; Mark Zuckerberg and friends own Facebook, etc. These guys are bottomless moneybags. No disputing that. They have done their selves some good by coming up with some ideas and making money from them. The entrepreneurship advocates therefore have in them fantastic examples to draw from in their self-employment sermonizing. But that is where it ends.

The self-employment preachers in Nigeria, good as their intention is, are however beginning to go off the mark. And this is where my problem with them lies. There is a dangerous trend of demonizing paid employment in the thriving business of self-employment advocacy. Every Ade, Ada and Adamu that can string two words together has turned into self-employment preacher and the fad is to demonize paid employment. Being in salaried job, to them, is slavery.
First, our self-employment advocates oversimplify things and sometimes when you listen to them or read what they write, you begin to wonder why they are not Dangote themselves. To be sure, I don’t have a problem with self-employment preachment; indeed, it is my ultimate goal too to own companies and businesses too, on full time basis. I also hold that being self-employed, if one gets it right, is better than being under someone else’s control. But is everyone cut out for being self- employed? Capital NO.

This is why I think in the process of advancing their advocacy, salaried jobs should not be demonized. I don’t believe salary job is necessarily slavery. I also don’t hold that you cannot be rich with paid job. You may not be as rich as Dangote or Adenuga, but if you work hard to become CEO of Shell Nigeria (a salaried job), for instance, I doubt your next generation can ever be poor. Not everyone will be as rich as Dangote, but with a dint of hardwork, becoming a manager in a decent company can earn you decent saving, and with sensible investment (preparing for retirement), you can live a satisfactory post-salary life.

I have seen some young graduates and prospective graduates vowing they can never work for anyone and they will go straight into entrepreneurship. Good one, if you have the idea. But managing businesses most times goes beyond the theories we read in those materials and the smooth talk of the self- employment advocates. Apart from the constraint of raising capital to fund the idea, there is an even more critical factor in management. Most times if you have never worked for any other person, you may find it difficult in running your own businesses.

Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun founded GTB after working for other banks; Aig-Imoukhude and Herbert Wigwe apprenticed with GTB before breaking out to found Access Bank. Most of these guys cut their management teeth working for someone else. This is why I hold that learning by being under someone else’s employ is most times helpful. Of course, I have not said it is necessarily the case. It is very possible to go straight into one’s business after finishing school and still go ahead to make it big. Aliko Dangote is an example here. He started straight away. So, oh you self-employment preacher, before you tell me I am a slave for choosing the path of salaried employment (for now), know you that the CEO of Shell is a ‘slave’ to Shell. I want to be one.
www.jarushub.com/excuse-me-mr-self-employment-advocate/
Cc lalasticlala
TRUE TALK!

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by juliusjulius: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2015
I'm an extra year student of oau, the school has been on session for many weeks now and I'm yet to pay the required school fees which is around #27,000. I'm using this medium to beg nairalanders to help me. I don't mind if it's a loan, or if I'll have to work for it, I just wanna finish up with my degree here. I'm ready to disclose my real identity and I'm ready to submit all my credentials as collateral. God bless you all. Thank you all 07018038211
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2015
neahyo:
The last decade has witnessed a surge in all
manner of motivational talk in Nigeria.
Hundreds of seminars and thousands of articles
have been churned out by the motivational
talkers and the frenzy continues to gain
momentum. This is good, as everyone surely
needs motivation.

One of the most common subjects of such
talks is entrepreneurship/self-employment.
Good subject. I believe it is good to be self-
employed and seriously craves being one. The
benefits of owning one’s business are pretty
obvious: you are in full control of your
resources (time, finance, etc), you share all the
rewards. Fine point.
Owning one’s business is clearly one of the
best goals a person should desire to achieve. It
even makes you exercise your brain more. Most
of the richest people in the world own their
businesses, their brands. Aliko Dangote owns
Dangote Group (although being a PLC, he
doesn’t have 100% ownership); Mike Adenuga
owns the Adenuga empire; Michael Dell owns
Dell Computers; Bill Gates owns Microsoft;
Mark Zuckerberg and friends own Facebook,
etc.
These guys are bottomless moneybags. No
disputing that. They have done their selves
some good by coming up with some ideas and
making money from them. The
entrepreneurship advocates therefore have in
them fantastic examples to draw from in their
self-employment sermonizing. But that is where
it ends.

The self-employment preachers in Nigeria, good
as their intention is, are however beginning to
go off the mark. And this is where my problem
with them lies. There is a dangerous trend of
demonizing paid employment in the thriving
business of self-employment advocacy. Every
Ade, Ada and Adamu that can string two words
together has turned into self-employment
preacher and the fad is to demonize paid
employment. Being in salaried job, to them, is
slavery.

First, our self-employment advocates
oversimplify things and sometimes when you
listen to them or read what they write, you
begin to wonder why they are not Dangote
themselves. To be sure, I don’t have a problem
with self-employment preachment; indeed, it is
my ultimate goal too to own companies and
businesses too, on full time basis. I also hold
that being self-employed, if one gets it right, is
better than being under someone else’s control.
But is everyone cut out for being self-
employed? Capital NO.

This is why I think in the process of advancing
their advocacy, salaried jobs should not be
demonized. I don’t believe salary job is
necessarily slavery. I also don’t hold that you
cannot be rich with paid job. You may not be
as rich as Dangote or Adenuga, but if you work
hard to become CEO of Shell Nigeria (a salaried
job), for instance, I doubt your next generation
can ever be poor. Not everyone will be as rich
as Dangote, but with a dint of hardwork,
becoming a manager in a decent company can
earn you decent saving, and with sensible
investment (preparing for retirement), you can
live a satisfactory post-salary life.

I have seen some young graduates and
prospective graduates vowing they can never
work for anyone and they will go straight into
entrepreneurship. Good one, if you have the
idea. But managing businesses most times
goes beyond the theories we read in those
materials and the smooth talk of the self-
employment advocates. Apart from the
constraint of raising capital to fund the idea,
there is an even more critical factor in
management. Most times if you have never
worked for any other person, you may find it
difficult in running your own businesses.

Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun founded GTB
after working for other banks; Aig-Imoukhude
and Herbert Wigwe apprenticed with GTB
before breaking out to found Access Bank.
Most of these guys cut their management
teeth working for someone else. This is why I
hold that learning by being under someone
else’s employ is most times helpful. Of course,
I have not said it is necessarily the case. It is
very possible to go straight into one’s business
after finishing school and still go ahead to
make it big. Aliko Dangote is an example here.
He started straight away.
So, oh you self-employment preacher, before
you tell me I am a slave for choosing the path
of salaried employment (for now), know you
that the CEO of Shell is a ‘slave’ to Shell. I
want to be one.

www.jarushub.com/excuse-me-mr-self-employment-advocate/

Cc lalasticlala

one day you will either be tired ,fired or retired so never you think of that and have you ever thought having your own firm apart from money helps the society by employing others .if people didn't open that shell would you aspire to be a CEO

people like you are bad for companion you can pioson a positive mind

learn how to believe in yourself and never be a wage slave

a slave is a slave be it in Ibadan or Iberia

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by juliusjulius: 9:16am On Aug 22, 2015
I'm an extra year student of oau, the school has been on session for many weeks now and I'm yet to pay the required school fees which is around #27,000. I'm using this medium to beg nairalanders to help me. I don't mind if it's a loan, or if I'll have to work for it, I just wanna finish up with my degree here. I'm ready to disclose my real identity and I'm ready to submit all my credentials as collateral. God bless you all. Thank you all 07018038211
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:16am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

Wen U have passion yoy keep trying no matter how much you fail.yoy get expirience as you go along learning new ways of doing what you do.However U need initial capital in all cases but is that not why most people travel out of Nigeria?

capital is good but the passion and will is the best

a bank can give you loan but won't give you clients
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Revolva(m): 9:17am On Aug 22, 2015
Very. Nice writeup.....good sayings
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by obowunmi(m): 9:19am On Aug 22, 2015
Loooool....... funny conversation ~
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by joseph1832(m): 9:20am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:
They are self employed grin
Indeed they are!.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Pidggin(f): 9:20am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

I disagree with you. I believe it's PASSION

It's not passion, it's endurance and patience.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:22am On Aug 22, 2015
kevoh:
Common sense is important and should be applied where necessary. If you get a job with good salary please take it, if you have not had any job years after NYSC please start a business. Don't just sit at home blaming the village witches for being unemployed! DO SOMETHING TO HELP YOUR LIFE!
2 of my secondary school class mates went to same Uni as me.me n one did mech engine.the other died elect elect.one is a mechanic in the other does alternative energy n they r both big.this is after 10 yrs frm NYSC
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 22, 2015
What an eye opener.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:23am On Aug 22, 2015
Pidggin:

It's not passion, it's endurance and patience.
Well I'm talking frm expirience. Are you??
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by joseph1832(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2015
tonychristopher:

one day you will either be tired ,fired or retired so never you think of that and have you ever thought having your own firm apart from money helps the society by employing others .if people didn't open that shell would you aspire to be a CEO

people like you are bad for companion you can pioson a positive mind

learn how to believe in yourself and never be a wage slave

a slave is a slave be it in Ibadan or Iberia
And people like you are no different from pastors who get rich of the sweat of the multitude by feeding them abstracts and half truths.

And I suppose in having your own business, you won't be tired, retired or fired right? That is when you're old you won't retire of fire yourself because you can work and run your business forever?.

You're myopic in your thinking if you believe everybody must be self employed, and you have the worst understanding of what slavery is about.

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2015
tonychristopher:

capital is good but the passion and will is the best

a bank can give you loan but won't give you clients
You are right there.who knows of Sir Allen Sugar? His relationship with Harolds?
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by kevoh(m): 9:27am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

2 of my secondary school class mates went to same Uni as me.me n one did mech engine.the other died elect elect.one is a mechanic in the other does alternative energy n they r both big.this is after 10 yrs frm NYSC
Sorry Sir, I don' get your point could you be more explicit.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by menxer: 9:28am On Aug 22, 2015
The demonizing of salaried job is the ironic part, in that the entrepreneur will still want to put people on his payroll grin

I bet if Dangote would be among the richest men in the world without all the talented people on his payroll.grin
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by ifeoluwasegun(m): 9:30am On Aug 22, 2015
After gently reading through the article, I saw that the op just spoke my mind.

But don't be confused, I am self employed and doing good to the glory of God, but I must confess that it isn't rosy always from onset.

Pls imagine this situation, as a salaried employee, you have a constant income, oga ta- oga o ta, but in self employment, you live on what you can use your hand to do. How more you can utilize your brain and I'll confess that many skills needed are not acquired in-born, you get many from working under people. Learning from his right and wrong decisions. That's exactly what keeps me going, experience from former employer.

However, self employment requires far more than huge bank balance, though that's predominant.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:30am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

You are right there.who knows of Sir Allen Sugar? His relationship with Harolds?

I am interested in this story ...tell me about Mr. Allen and Harold's store
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:32am On Aug 22, 2015
tonychristopher:

I am interested in this story ...tell me about Mr. Allen and Harold's store
It's a long one and will derail the convo here.young Mr sugar was a paper boy wen Harolds was a conner shop. Does this make any sense?He left civil service to sell stuff frM a van he bought £50 savings lol he sold arias and other stuff electronics.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:34am On Aug 22, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:
After gently reading through the article, I saw that the op just spoke my mind.

But don't be confused, I am self employed and doing good to the glory of God, but I must confess that it isn't rosy always from onset.

Pls imagine this situation, as a salaried employee, you have a constant income, oga ta- oga o ta, but in self employment, you live on what you can use your hand to do. How more you can utilize your brain and I'll confess that many skills needed are not acquired in-born, you get many from working under people. Learning from his right and wrong decisions. That's exactly what keeps me going, experience from former employer.

However, self employment requires far more than huge bank balance, though that's predominant.

I am salaried and I am working seriously to have my own firm and making contacts as a smart igbi dude we work to get experience not to have the long service award

starting up has always been hard but the future is rossy

I was in a meeting with a CEO of a top ICT firm he looked at me and told me why don't I think of floating my firm now that I am young ...it will be bad that I will regret that why did I not do it when I am old
I see people queing up for pension its scary, whenever there is staff shakeup its scary

above all your destiny is tied to one firm that is worst

bro keep it up...we will see in Forbes

have you ever seen any MD that is earning salary in Forbes?

2 Likes

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:35am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

It's a long one and will derail the convo here.young Mr sugar was a paper boy wen Harolds was a conner shop. Does this make any sense?

give me a brief bro
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:37am On Aug 22, 2015
tonychristopher:

give me a brief bro
He worked in a supermarket during school.shortly in the civil service and bought a van and sold stuff frm the van.but you got to know who he is today to make any sense of what I'm saying.do U know who he is?
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Pidggin(f): 9:38am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

Well I'm talking frm expirience. Are you??

Yes I am. The situation may get to a stage where passion can no longer carry you after being frustrated by lack of success, this is why even passionate owners of businesses sometimes fail.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:39am On Aug 22, 2015
joseph1832:
And people like you are no different from pastors who get rich of the sweat of the multitude by feeding them abstracts and half truths.

And I suppose in having your own business, you won't be tired, retired or fired right? That is when you're old you won't retire of fire yourself because you can work and run your business forever?.

You're myopic in your thinking if you believe everybody must be self employed, and you have the worst understanding of what slavery is about.
I age and still be at the board ..I am an Nnewi dude and I have seen first hand what the advantages of running your firm from small to big and compare it with the yes sir memo answering people and retrenchement

bro I choose the former ...I keep praying on that ..mind you I have enough work experience and I have a good job but this is the last job I am taking even if the offers come

its better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

no pastor will tell you that

I am scared of redundancy and gratituty at old age

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

But I still think our altimeter goal should be self employment t as that's where we can develop.take a look at the west.every breakthrough came fru self employed people.do t that tell you a lot??
Of course, self-employment should be encouraged to promote growth and development but salaried jobs should not be castigated in the process.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:41am On Aug 22, 2015
Pidggin:

Yes I am. The situation may get to a stage where passion can no longer carry you after being frustrated by lack of success, this is why even passionate owners of businesses sometimes fail.

with passion you can be frustrated you keep doing it

have you ever thought of this ..what if that place that you work is not established by that man ..where will you work
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by vivalavida(m): 9:41am On Aug 22, 2015
I believe setaje has a word or two to say here
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by mideactive: 9:43am On Aug 22, 2015
Trust me,being an entrepreneur is not a baby's job most especially when u'r into production.no body trust ur product as a baby producer,most especially wen they knw u producer.u can never please ur customers cus they already knw u,n so many constraint dat 'l never encourage.I knw al dis cus I'm one myself.,but 4 those dat ar interested 2 starting from d scratch,al it entails is perseverance n relating wit d right ppl dat can teach n inspire u.just see ur self as working 4 someone else right now wit d aim of getting ur pension in d future
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 9:44am On Aug 22, 2015
erico2k2:

He worked in a supermarket during school.shortly in the civil service and bought a van and sold stuff frm the van.but you got to know who he is today to make any sense of what I'm saying.do U know who he is?

your a CEO and I love this

a CEO that earns £10,000 is better than MD staff that earns £100,000 that's me ...do you know the psychological trauma that will encounter when fired or retired which must come one day

its just like postponing the dooms day

which must come

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer / Finance And Economics, Which Is Better? / 20 Skills To Learn Instead Of Watching Tv.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.