Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! (24858 Views)

Self Employment Or O & G Job / The Differences Between Entrepreneurship & Self-employment / Excuse Me, Mr. Anti Self-employment Advocate! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by ogianyo(m): 2:54pm On Aug 22, 2015
Entrepreneurship no be yam o. I know cos I am one. But I worked with a strong multi national before I left to start my business. If energy matter stress you for one week alone, you fo know how far. But your message is balanced. Entrepreneur ship is great but you need to be tooled and it's not for all temperament s
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by darqly(m): 3:58pm On Aug 22, 2015
swimcash:
enterpreneurship has always been d best option,cos u r ur own boss n bosses 2 odas. u wake up weneva u please, go 2 ur place of business at anytym cos u v pple doin tins 4 u. but d fact is dat nt everi1 has dat spirit of bein self employed. D bitter truth most of us fail 2 accept is dat, even wit all ideas n skills, once u dnt av d capital 2 finance ur goal its bcums a mirage, capital is d most paramount cos money brings ideas.

angry angryExactly why most entrepreneurs that have little or no background in structured employment fail shocked shocked
How can you dream of waking up WHENEVER you like or going to your place of business WHENEVER you please? That's not self employment, it's indiscipline and if you decide upon entrepreneurism primarily for these fallacies, you're on the fastlane to bankruptcy, failure and disappointment.
You are NOT your own boss as an entrepreneur; The customer is your BOSS. If you have no customers, you have no business. They don't care what title you bear- CEO, Founder, Director, COO, BOSS, ETC
Without most of the qualities mentioned above, and a solid service or business idea, all the capital in the world will not do you any good. Build yourself and your business first, find customers by ALL means, sell something to them and make sure they come back AGAIN. If they complain, LISTEN and take action. People that have money will look for you to invest EVENTUALLY.

1 Like

Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by ohimai83: 4:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
Godiskind:
It is essential for ppu to knw where they can fit in best. The fact is that some ppu made great success being employed while some made it thru being self emplyed. I have an uncle. He made first class in sch, received scholarship for masters abroad, was very sound and brilliant. He worked in oil coy, climbed to a very high position in Shell, was well renowned in oil industry because his brilliant and excellent performance. He was so principled and a man of integrity. He was indeed very rich and has travelled places across d globe by d work exposure. But at a time, he resigned and set up his own company (glass manufacturing coy) and was running the coy. But do u imagine that this person who was so rich and highly respected, became poor, his coy folded and this large estate where d coy is situated was eventually converted to rentage for residentials. Such is life!
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by tonychristopher: 6:37pm On Aug 22, 2015
ttmacoy:
I really don't get this idea you guys have that being an entrepreneur means you wake he ever you want etc.

As a serious entrepreneur you wake whenever your clients or business needs you and not when you want.

You guys don't really know how much her swirl it takes to build such ideas up from scratch do you? Please read the biographies of the Google guys or even Facebook to see how HARD they worked to start their businesses. How much sacrifice they made.

apt
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by darqly(m): 6:54pm On Aug 22, 2015
ba7man:
If you make N1million a month in paid employment, that's N12million a year.

People that are self employed and successful are the ones that spend that amount on a car.

I don't understand this analogy. There are many self employed people that struggle to eke a living daily. There are also many employees that actually ride cars worth more than 12milliion. So what gives? undecided
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by noblegrex: 7:13pm On Aug 22, 2015
neahyo:
The last decade has witnessed a surge in all
manner of motivational talk in Nigeria.
Hundreds of seminars and thousands of articles
have been churned out by the motivational
talkers and the frenzy continues to gain
momentum. This is good, as everyone surely
needs motivation.

One of the most common subjects of such
talks is entrepreneurship/self-employment.
Good subject. I believe it is good to be self-
employed and seriously craves being one. The
benefits of owning one’s business are pretty
obvious: you are in full control of your
resources (time, finance, etc), you share all the
rewards. Fine point.
Owning one’s business is clearly one of the
best goals a person should desire to achieve. It
even makes you exercise your brain more. Most
of the richest people in the world own their
businesses, their brands. Aliko Dangote owns
Dangote Group (although being a PLC, he
doesn’t have 100% ownership); Mike Adenuga
owns the Adenuga empire; Michael Dell owns
Dell Computers; Bill Gates owns Microsoft;
Mark Zuckerberg and friends own Facebook,
etc.
These guys are bottomless moneybags. No
disputing that. They have done their selves
some good by coming up with some ideas and
making money from them. The
entrepreneurship advocates therefore have in
them fantastic examples to draw from in their
self-employment sermonizing. But that is where
it ends.

The self-employment preachers in Nigeria, good
as their intention is, are however beginning to
go off the mark. And this is where my problem
with them lies. There is a dangerous trend of
demonizing paid employment in the thriving
business of self-employment advocacy. Every
Ade, Ada and Adamu that can string two words
together has turned into self-employment
preacher and the fad is to demonize paid
employment. Being in salaried job, to them, is
slavery.

First, our self-employment advocates
oversimplify things and sometimes when you
listen to them or read what they write, you
begin to wonder why they are not Dangote
themselves. To be sure, I don’t have a problem
with self-employment preachment; indeed, it is
my ultimate goal too to own companies and
businesses too, on full time basis. I also hold
that being self-employed, if one gets it right, is
better than being under someone else’s control.
But is everyone cut out for being self-
employed? Capital NO.

This is why I think in the process of advancing
their advocacy, salaried jobs should not be
demonized. I don’t believe salary job is
necessarily slavery. I also don’t hold that you
cannot be rich with paid job. You may not be
as rich as Dangote or Adenuga, but if you work
hard to become CEO of Shell Nigeria (a salaried
job), for instance, I doubt your next generation
can ever be poor. Not everyone will be as rich
as Dangote, but with a dint of hardwork,
becoming a manager in a decent company can
earn you decent saving, and with sensible
investment (preparing for retirement), you can
live a satisfactory post-salary life.

I have seen some young graduates and
prospective graduates vowing they can never
work for anyone and they will go straight into
entrepreneurship. Good one, if you have the
idea. But managing businesses most times
goes beyond the theories we read in those
materials and the smooth talk of the self-
employment advocates. Apart from the
constraint of raising capital to fund the idea,
there is an even more critical factor in
management. Most times if you have never
worked for any other person, you may find it
difficult in running your own businesses.

Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun founded GTB
after working for other banks; Aig-Imoukhude
and Herbert Wigwe apprenticed with GTB
before breaking out to found Access Bank.
Most of these guys cut their management
teeth working for someone else. This is why I
hold that learning by being under someone
else’s employ is most times helpful. Of course,
I have not said it is necessarily the case. It is
very possible to go straight into one’s business
after finishing school and still go ahead to
make it big. Aliko Dangote is an example here.
He started straight away.
So, oh you self-employment preacher, before
you tell me I am a slave for choosing the path
of salaried employment (for now), know you
that the CEO of Shell is a ‘slave’ to Shell. I
want to be one.

www.jarushub.com/excuse-me-mr-self-employment-advocate/

Cc lalasticlala
most of them r doing it to promote their bussiness n many people did not knw.pls if theirs any oda way u can bang this to peoles hearing do B4 some stays at home wallowing in penury ans still waiting to b self employed.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by reiddecuti: 7:26pm On Aug 22, 2015
its easy to be an entreprenuer and they have never been one or even bring their family aboard. Let the truth be told, they are only intrested in ur #1000 gate fee or registration fee or whateves they call it. Imagine where 500 ppl register...
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by dabossman(m): 7:38pm On Aug 22, 2015
darqly:

angry angryExactly why most entrepreneurs that have little or no background in structured employment fail shocked shocked
How can dream of waking up WHENEVER you like or going to your place of business WHENEVER you please? That's not self employment, it's indiscipline and if you decide upon entrepreneurism primarily for these fallacies, you're on the fastlane to bankruptcy, failure and disappointment.
You are NOT your own boss as an entrepreneur; The customer is your BOSS. If you have no customers, you have no business. They don't care what title you bear- CEO, Founder, Director, COO, BOSS, ETC
Without most of the qualities mentioned above, and a solid service or business idea, all the capital in the world will not do you any good. Build yourself and your business first, find customers by ALL means, sell something to them and make sure they come back AGAIN. If they complain, LISTEN and take action. People that have money will look for you to invest EVENTUALLY.

Guy, why now? You should have allowed that dude to continue in his folly. He will learn the hard way. All these Facebook CEO's at self employed sef. They beg serious CEO's to even take a nap. No be only wake up when you like.
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Jobyruz(m): 8:16pm On Aug 22, 2015
Be a civil servant for a century,you will eventually retire to be self employed,easier for pple with the capital,hustle for the civil servant to assemble capital
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by erico2k2(m): 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2015
ibrahym47:
Wats ur conclusion sir
some of us need social skills
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by engrbrume(m): 9:21am On Aug 25, 2015
Jobyruz:
Be a civil servant for a century,you will eventually retire to be self employed,easier for pple with the capital,hustle for the civil servant to assemble capital
Really? How much capital are we talking about? capital can't make you rich! You need to know what to do with the money. Unfortunately, most of these people lose their gratuities when they attempt to start doing business, so they have to work as consultants all over again!
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Nathanieluz: 12:18am On Aug 26, 2015
...redacted
Re: Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! by Edipee(m): 8:07am On Apr 09, 2016
I love this
Mznaett:
In addition to what the op has already stated. I think been an enterprenuer demands certain skills like:

Autocratic leadership skill
Democratic leadership skill and
Laisser leadership skill

And as an enterpreneur one of the above is needed

N/B Before going into that business there are certain attributes an enterpreneur must possessed like:
1.Goal oriented: An enterprenuer should be able to set objectives like
Where you are
Where you want to go
What to do to achieve it
2. Persistent: Without the spirit of persistence you can't be an enterprenuer. There are periods of difficulties so expect that there's always a way out
3: Seeking for feedback: Always seek for feedback by making findings and also make corrections by measuring your level of performances
4. Initiative: As an enterpreneur you should be creative. Have the ability to creating something new
5. Risk taking: We all know what this means lol

N/B In paid employment the idea of the employed is consumed in the enterprise cuz nobody reckoneds his contributions EVEN if they do the owner of the business may not even allow him to exhibit his talent and this is one of the problems of over reliance of wage employment
Just my lil contribution though

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer / Finance And Economics, Which Is Better? / 20 Skills To Learn Instead Of Watching Tv.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.