Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,779 members, 7,806,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice (1090 Views)

Career Dilemma / The Basics Of Professional PR In Nigeria / In Need Of A Professional Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by henifri: 12:03am On Aug 13, 2015
I am currently a final year student in a university studying I.C.T. Lately, I have come to realize this course is not for me(after years of trying to force myself to accept it). Due to my lack of interest in this course, I have become unserious, uncompetitive and somewhat lazy; though i still maintain more than average grades, It takes a lot of will spirit to be able to motivate myself to study and maintain these good grades. I love education, and have always been an excellent student since primary school. 10 years ago I had one of the best potentials among my peers, but right now I don't even want to wake up anymore. I battle with depression everyday. All my dreams, the future I dreamed of, everything seems to be falling apart.

I would like to study Electrical Engineering (Power systems or Control Systems) at MSc level . I am planning on pursuing this degree in universities in America, Canada or Western Europe on a scholarship basis. I am quite scared as my first degree is not in Engineering.

I know there are lots of professionals and graduate students on Nairaland, and I would be extremely grateful if you can share a piece of advice with me.

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by odinese(m): 12:15am On Aug 13, 2015
Re: Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 13, 2015
I will say do not worry about whether you'll be admitted for MSc just yet.....

Your priority should be to graduate with a good grade for a chance of getting admitted into those universities you desire. So I'll say study hard and make a wonderful grade first, since you've already started the course put in your best.. How will you feel if you finally qualify for the course but a bad grade stops you? embarassed

No, your future hasn't fallen apart. You still have so many years ahead to make things right..

I also think you can be able to get an admission for msc because control system and ICT seem similar (just guessing though, from their names). Even if you can't, there are other ways to still achieve your desire. You can do a PGD, professional certifications in Elect, or even get a job (trainee, internship or volunteer)..

Please don't be depressed, you've a wonderful future ahead of you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by henifri: 5:04pm On Aug 13, 2015
keep the advice coming in please..Mod please help, place on front page and save someone's life
Re: Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by Emasel(m): 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
henifri:
I am currently a final year student in a university studying I.C.T. Lately, I have come to realize this course is not for me(after years of trying to force myself to accept it). Due to my lack of interest in this course, I have become unserious, uncompetitive and somewhat lazy; though i still maintain more than average grades, It takes a lot of will spirit to be able to motivate myself to study and maintain these good grades. I love education, and have always been an excellent student since primary school. 10 years ago I had one of the best potentials among my peers, but right now I don't even want to wake up anymore. I battle with depression everyday. All my dreams, the future I dreamed of, everything seems to be falling apart.

I would like to study Electrical Engineering (Power systems or Control Systems) at MSc level . I am planning on pursuing this degree in universities in America, Canada or Western Europe on a scholarship basis. I am quite scared as my first degree is not in Engineering.

I know there are lots of professionals and graduate students on Nairaland, and I would be extremely grateful if you can share a piece of advice with me.

You actually can study MSc Control Systems with your ICT degree, but I doubt if you could do a Masters in Power Systems as they are not related.

Modern Control Systems are automated and electronically controlled, so you'll need some programming background(mainly MATLAB) for a Masters in Robotics and Control Systems.

Your target schools(USA and Canada) have very high admission requirements. I know US and Canada schools usually demand a minimum of 80% in the last 2 years of your Bachelors degree program, so I'll advise you sit up and put in your best, so you could make the require grades for your intended Masters program.

All the best.
Re: Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by joseph1013: 12:06pm On Jan 13, 2016
I sincerely hope you have given your course the best till now. You owe that to yourself and those who are at the mercy of your progress.
Re: Career Dilemma Please Advice A Poor Boy In Need Of Professional Advice by Vick4rill(m): 7:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
Lol nairalanders will soon advice u to drop out of school and become an entrepreneur

(1) (Reply)

The 7 Relationships That Will Boost Your Career / Kiddies Party Organizer / 25 Highest Paying Companies In America By Glassdoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.