Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! (62166 Views)

Strictly Discounted Prices On Solar & Power Inverter Materials. / Ask Me Anything On Solar,come In If You Need Solar Panels, / Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2015
chris81964:
Thank you for telling people what we have been saying for a long time.

1. Quality matters. There are a lots of Chinese and Indian brands out there. Some are good and most are crap. They won't back up their products with a meaningful guaranty. Spend the money and buy a good quality inverter. I will buy a Toyota before I buy a Geely. If I can afford a Mercedes I will buy the Mercedes. Your inverter selection should be no different

2. Batteries. This is as critical as the inverter. People in Nigeria have come to accept that batteries have to be replaced every year or two. That is wrong. Get a good quality battery. They should have at least 1200 or more cycle life ratings. If they don't move on. Pay extra at the beginning and and get 5 years or more, that is much better than saving N10 k per battery and replacing them every other year.

3. Charge controllers: You want to destroy a battery buy a cheap or bad one. PWM controllers work very well. They just can't harvest as much as an MPPT on a cloudy day. A lot of controllers advertised as MPPT are not. If your MPPT controller does not weigh at least 4 kg keep looking. I would rather buy a good quality PWM than a crappy MPPT. Morningstar makes a great PWM controller.

4. All in one units. They do exist and they do work. They tend to be high frequency inverters and there are many manufacturers that offer them. They have a PWM or MPPT controller, charger and inverter all in one unit. I have a few running in Lagos. I like to separate the solar charger from the rest of the system. I have also run the panels directly through them and there are videos of many people doing just that. The most common brand in Nigeria is the Axpert sold by everyone because they allow you to slap your name on the equipment

5. Number of panels and batteries. That should not be what sells you. The total watts and total AH should be what you are buying. You can buy 4 batteries that are 410 AH each or 6 that are 1000 AH each. A 12V equivalent would be 4, 8 batteries or more. Ditto for the panels. At the end of the day your loads will determine your needs.

Keep the discussion alive. Thank you for starting the thread.

Great input there.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2015
Obeenah:
Good you identified some key issues. However you mentioned KVa and not KW. The difference being that generators use KVA while solar uses KW.

The difference being that KW is of a higher rating compared to KVA. Simple reason why a 2kw solar energy system would require a Generator of about 3.5 to 4kva to match up to.

Another thing you identified are the batteries. Standard issues for my company is 2 x 120v 200ah batteries per kilowatts so basically you multiply the batteries who's us 2 x the amount of kilowatts. So example a 1kw system would come with 2 x 120v x 200ah batteries which is 400ah.

The components come with the solar panels, charge controller, inverter, battery pack and rack. That's the real deal anything less us a sham.

Thank you
KW or KVA a both units of measuring the same thing. 1 kva is .8 kw. You were going in the right direction as far as generator relative to an inverter and then you took a left turn.
The simple answer is surge. A generator can't surge. When a load like a fridge or pumping machine starts they draw up to 3 or 4 times their rated capacity. A generator needs to be sized for the surge. Most inverters can surge two to three times their ratings. So a 2 kw inverter can temporarily be 4 or 6 kw to allow the surge.
There are hybrid Inverters that have everything built in. They are not a sham. They do exist and many people in Lagos have them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 1:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
elmajor:

I appreciate the information ur have provided to someone like me without an electrical background. Geesam, I've got a question.
If I have a freezer, pressing iron, TV set, water-heater and about 20 energy-saving bulbs, all powered on, how many kva solar power is required?
Again, how many 'ah' and 'w' make 1kva?

I would not put a water heater on solar. There are formulas you can use to determine what you will need. I will give you a simple one. Write down all your loads one after the other. Then write the watts in front of each then write the number of hours you will use each. example 20 energy savings bulbs are 25 watts each. I will have them on for 8 hours a day. It will be 20 x 25 x 8.
Add up every thing (total watt hours) and divide by the system voltage. So if you will use a 24V system divide by 24. That will give you how much battery you use daily. Multiple that result by two to ensure that you don't exceed a 50$ state of discharge.
To calculate the solar side. Divide the watt hours by 4.5 if you are in Lagos. In the North by 5.5. The result is the total watts in panels you need. Email me for more details or a calculation sheet I use for my clients

5 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by TheBestGovernor: 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Now that is a very good point, cable size.
BUT I disagree with you on the pwm, pwm has it's uses too and can deliver is you are not using them in a large setup.

Most Nigerian inverter application is usually >=800VA (600W , using P.F of 0.75). From extensive observations and current usage of an MPPT charge controller, MPPT is the way to go.

In as much as would not like a controversy on this, you could loose up to 35% of charging power when you use PWM charge controllers in whatever application.

Another important point I did not mention is that MPPT charge controllers give greater flexiblity when you need to expand you solar grid in the future.

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Dotng: 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:
Yeah, it's Geesam again. Here to make sure you are informed.
In business, PARKAGING and SECRECY are very important in EXploiting consumers
You see a lot of solar power offers especially on online store especially the popular ones here in nigeria. Many are just carefully packaged offers that are nothing what they promise. You get them and develop the notion that solar power is not reliable.

Solar power is Expensive ( but still cheaper than generators anyway) so before you pay for any solar generator, solar power installation, or anything related, here are tips to ensure you get value for the good money you are paying.

Get this right and you will regret wasting money all these years on petrol/diesel generators.

Solar power is reliable, lasts longer than any generator you could ever buy and is a class of it's own.

Solar power is much cheaper than fueling a generator for 10years.

You won't regret investing in one if you get your facts right.

I will answer ANY, I mean ANY question you may have on solar power.

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions

Thank you.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 1:31pm On Aug 13, 2015
onelife97:
@op,pls I'd like to know how much can one spend on solar energy to power let's say up to 8 bedrooms,3 large living rooms,3 kitchens,all include up to 5 air conditioners,4 refrigerators,let's say 3 microwave ovens,and other small electrical appliances for a up to 24 hours uninterrupted power supply.

Thx in advance

Once you looking to power AC be prepared to spend money. Your question does not provide enough detail. I would say budget between 8 and 10 million naira on the minimum.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 1:32pm On Aug 13, 2015
dozymars:
Check out this Company. They offer good Inverter and Solar Installation Service. www.inverternigeria.com
I visited the site and they sell the same thing everyone else is selling in Nigeria. Sukam and Luminous.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by gbigbega: 1:35pm On Aug 13, 2015
Thanks for this useful info.
I will like to install a 5kva Inverter that's hybrid (uses solar panel and PHCN), please what will be the cost of this?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 1:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
Xmen149:

well said men.......besides all that......their also exist HYBRID INVERTERS,.....but only few makes have confirmed high efficiency for now.
with setting you get to choose to either go on-grid or off-grid and choose which setup takes the with high priority.......

In Nigeria all the Inverters you use are off grid. You can tie a grid tied unit to another inverter or a generator that gets expensive and makes no sense in most applications. I have seen them in Nigeria and intend to do them. High frequency Inverters have higher efficiency than low frequency inverters. High frequency hydbrids will be more efficient than lower frequency units. The HF claim 95 to 98 % efficiency because they have no transformers in the traditional sense. They give up surge capability and tend to have lower AC to DC charge capability relative to lower frequency units.
Thank you for the compliment.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 1:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:

Most Nigerian inverter application is usually >=800VA (600W , using P.F of 0.75). From extensive observations and current usage of an MPPT charge controller, MPPT is the way to go.

In as much as would not like a controversy on this, you could loose up to 35% of charging power when you use PWM charge controllers in whatever application.

Another important point I did not mention is that MPPT charge controllers give greater flexiblity when you need to expand you solar grid in the future.

Mppt are better than pwm, I said that in my original post. But PWM have their uses even if you want to use it to charge 4 200ah batteries. Sometimes the cost of getting 30% more panels is still less than buying an mppt controller just as chris81964 (a knowledgeable person in this subject) as agreed with me. If you know what you want then choosing PWM or MPPT won't be an issue.
It is just like the subject of monocrystalline and polycrystalline panels. Yes mono is better, but that does not make poly substandard. I use poly and mono, I use mppt and pwm. It is all about design and working with budget without compromising quality. Sure you understand me sir

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 1:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
chris81964:

I visited the site and they sell the same thing everyone else is selling in Nigeria. Sukam and Luminous.
Don't know why some people are just stubborn. That guy did not contribute just came to advertise. Didn't even bother to check his site.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 1:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
chris81964:

Once you looking to power AC be prepared to spend money. Your question does not provide enough detail. I would say budget between 8 and 10 million naira on the minimum.
Clients like this can be tricky. Glad you said minimum.
You have to over size their setup. Saying he wants that powered 24/7 uninterrupted, imagine days when you have bad weather for like 3 days and sunshine is down to 20-50%. If he would have a satisfactory system, best to have good autonomy especially in the battery bank so enough energy can be stored up in peak periods and be available in low periods.

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 1:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:

PWM or MPPT which is best has been resolved. For very small systems a good PWM works fine. If you can afford to buy more panels a PWM would work just as well. Fewer things do so it theoretically should be more reliable.
Why PWM or MPPT? Your system is comprised of panels and batteries. Your panels are fixed in what they can produce under ideal conditions. Your batteries vary based on state of charge. So your PWM will use the voltage of the battery and multiply that by the amps coming from your panels to give you productions or watts. If your battery is 23 V (discharged) you are not getting the full production from your panels.
Example. Your battery is at 23 V and your panels are sending in 20 amps on your pwm your system is making 460 watts. An MPPT will use the same voltage but can boost the amps by up to two times so now you have the same system 23 v x 30 making 690 watts. An improvement of 230 Watts from the same set up. That is the equivalent of increasing your system by 1 panel.
I hope that shows you why people use MPPT controllers. In the picture you see the amps out is double the amps in

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 2:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
gbigbega:
Thanks for this useful info.
I will like to install a 5kva Inverter that's hybrid (uses solar panel and PHCN), please what will be the cost of this?

You are setting yourself up big time. 5 kva inverter does not convey any information to us. How do you know 5 va is adequate or too much?
Start by calculating your loads and how long you want to power them and then someone can design a system and give you a quote.
A generator runs on fuel and you can buy fuel when it runs out. Solar runs on the sun and you have to wait till the sun shines to replenish. PHCN will allow for us to give you slightly less panel capacity by stretching the amount of daily irradiance you get.
I hope this helps. Send a message to either one of us and we will be happy to help you.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by TheBestGovernor: 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Mppt are better than pwm, I said that in my original post. But PWM have their uses even if you want to use it to charge 4 200ah batteries. Sometimes the cost of getting 30% more panels is still less than buying an mppt controller just as chris81964 (a knowledgeable person in this subject) as agreed with me. If you know what you want then choosing PWM or MPPT won't be an issue.
It is just like the subject of monocrystalline and polycrystalline panels. Yes mono is better, but that does not make poly substandard. I use poly and mono, I use mppt and pwm. It is all about design and working with budget without compromising quality. Sure you understand me sir

Please, in as much as I know you mean no harm, change the notion that the knowledge of yourself or chris81964 is greater than mine in this regard.

I don't doubt the fact that PWMs would work, in fact many people use them, all I'm saying is that the best choice remains MPPT in terms flexibility, maximum power extraction, future expansion, driving of low voltage applications from higher voltage applications,DC to DC conversion e.t.c

I also stated that MPPTs are quite expensive but solar solutions is not just about adding more panels, it is more than that.

Most solar panel installations I have seen do not also take orientation to sun's ray into cognizance. Solar panel performance can also be optimized based on orientation to the sun's ray.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Konnektions146(m): 2:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
femadelim:
@OP, Where can i get a good one with 5kv capacity am in owerri

5KV of what?

Solar panels rated in Watts
Inverters rated in KVA/KW( KW=KVA x P.F)
Batteries in AH
Charge controller in Amps

you need to understand what you want, You have to state what you need this for, the power each device consumes in watts and how long in Hours you need them to run, then you post here to get a rough estimate of your Need,

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 2:30pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:

Please, in as much as I know you mean no harm, change the notion that the knowledge of yourself or chris81964 is greater than mine in this regard.

I don't doubt the fact that PWMs would work, in fact many people use them, all I'm saying is that the best choice remains MPPT in terms flexibility, maximum power extraction, future expansion, driving of low voltage applications from higher voltage applications,DC to DC conversion e.t.c

I also stated that MPPTs are quite expensive but solar solutions is not just about adding more panels, it is more than that.

Most solar panel installations I have seen do not also take orientation to sun's ray into cognizance. Solar panel performance can also be optimized based on orientation to the sun's ray.

Brother or Sister @thebestgovernor

Nobody is a sole repository of knowledge.
Each application demands a unique solution. PWM were the game in town until the MPPT resolved their reliability issues. On some applications like street lighting a PWM makes better sense. If your system is less than 400 Watts a PWM may make sense because you want to save money. I wrote something earlier on why an MPPT out performs a PWM.
Regarding orientation. That is something that most installers are unaware of. They tell you the panels should face east. They install panels under a tree or have the panels covered or shaded by something. All these things are critical.

Please take no offense. Each person is trying in their way to impart knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Konnektions146(m): 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:

some Installers do, some also dont , but another factor that limiting installers exploring this is the unavailability of ideal installation space,

Lets say for Example-- a client wants a system on the roof, he lives in a block of 2 flats and the right spot has a tall tree casting a shade and the tree is on the other compound or even a taller building, all you can do is make do with the other way using a pro. solar mount to lift the panels to get as much as possible.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 2:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:

Nairaland. Your points all right anyway. Just got a problem with your stance. You first comment made it absolute that pwm shld never be used. Have a nice day. Don't intend beating the issue
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 2:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
Konnektions146:

some Installers do, some also dont , but another factor that limiting installers exploring this is the unavailability of ideal installation space,

Lets say for Example-- a client wants a system on the roof, he lives in a block of 2 flats and the right spot has a tall tree casting a shade and the tree is on the other compound or even a taller building, all you can do is make do with the other way using a pro. solar mount to lift the panels to get as much as possible.

Good input there. Orientation is key to maximizing your harvest from the sun. If we shld really go into this no fixed system is as effiecient as a tracking system, but at what cost?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Righttalk: 2:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nice one
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by ikenwa4lyf: 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2015
Unless one falls prey into the hands of fraudsters, then solar is the best option to NEPA and generator sets
http://www.kyrianblog.com/why-you-need-to-purchase-a-solar-power-system
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by syras: 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
Geesampower, how much is the rough estimate of using solar power to generate power for duplex house while cutting off PHCN totally? Thank you as I anticipate your reply.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by TheBestGovernor: 3:09pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Nairaland. Your points all right anyway. Just got a problem with your stance. You first comment made it absolute that pwm shld never be used. Have a nice day. Don't intend beating the issue

Pardon me if it looked like a sacrosanct stance and surely I do not claim monopoly of knowledge . Forums like this afford nairalander's out there an opportunity to know why their solar quotes cost so much and probably gain more knowledge on subjects like this.

PWMs work and would continue to work for many applications like street lighting and even home applications. However as a personal opinion based on research and experience with MPPTs, MPPTs are the best in home applications for reasons we both agree on.

No hard feelings, do have a nice day too.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:

Pardon me if it looked like a sacrosanct stance and surely I do not claim monopoly of knowledge . Forums like this afford nairalander's out there an opportunity to know why their solar quotes cost so much and probably gain more knowledge on subjects like this.

PWMs work and would continue to work for many applications like street lighting and even home applications. However as a personal opinion based on research and experience with MPPTs, MPPTs are the best in home applications for reasons we both agree on.

No hard feelings, do have a nice day too.
Sir you are making a lot of sense and raising a lot of important points that needs attention. Let's get along sir. Appreciate you here.

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by DUNKA(m): 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2015
Goodday please do you have an idea on Xpert hybrid inverter as advertised on The Solar Shop?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2015
syras:
Geesampower, how much is the rough estimate of using solar power to generate power for duplex house while cutting off PHCN totally? Thank you as I anticipate your reply.
This question can't be answered accurately by anyone. What I can just say is, the solar power setup you will need is dependent on the actual appliances you use daily and duration of use. Avrage of 1.5m will do for an average nigerian home.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
DUNKA:
Goodday please do you have an idea on Xpert hybrid inverter as advertised on The Solar Shop?
No. But I know solar shop gives good warrantee. And deal in good tested brands.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
DUNKA:
Dunka The Solar Shop has discontinued them. What would you like to know? I have about 6 of them installed for customers and my own consumption. 4 in Lagos and 2 in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by God2man(m): 4:06pm On Aug 13, 2015
Good.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by syras: 4:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

This question can't be answered accurately by anyone. What I can just say is, the solar power setup you will need is dependent on the actual appliances you use daily and duration of use. Avrage of 1.5m will do for an average nigerian home.

You just answered the question. That was all I wanted. Thank you, Geesampower.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by goget(m): 5:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
Chris81964 can you pls share your phone number my mail is jidde_u@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Space Crew Return To Very Different Earth / Giant Turtle Crawls Into Man's Compound In Bayelsa State. Photos / Hamza Abubakar Ningi Manufactures A Solar Stove In Bauchi (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.