Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots (5832 Views)

Break Wifi-hotspots And Browse Free!! / Reltel Wireless Internet Service / MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by bani(m): 11:03am On Oct 25, 2005
why are most public place owners scared of creating hotspots in Nigeria? ive sent so many proposals to most fast food eateries and public areas and i keep getting the same reply "WE ARE NOT REALLY READY FOR THIS NOW". Im really surprised!!! This could take Nigeria higher on the IT scale.
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by otokx(m): 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2005
am interested in hotspots as i work in a cyber cafe but how will we make money from it?
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by bani(m): 8:22pm On Oct 26, 2005
well the first step is sensitizing people on it. the funny thing is most IT managers of companies ive met dont really know what its all about. so you can just imagine. if u know how to configure an acess point using any wireless make and setting up any wifi enabled system then ure set to go. u could try linksys for a smaller area
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by Seun(m): 9:25pm On Oct 26, 2005
What is a hot spot and why do we need hot spots in Nigeria? And how will it benefit the companies that introduce it?
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by bani(m): 12:34am On Oct 27, 2005
A BRIEF grin OVERVIEW
A hotspot is any public area where computers that have been fitted with wireless network technology can gain access to the Internet. The computer accomplishes this by contacting a nearby wireless network with its internal NIC (Network Interface Card). The NIC seeks out the radio waves generated by wireless networks. When it detects a signal strong enough, it asks permission to log on to the network. Though this access is often free, other times the wireless network requires registration and a small fee before it will grant the computer access.

Many cafés now feature a wireless network environment or hotspot, so that customers can sit leisurely, sip coffee and work on their laptops with full Internet access. Establishments that offer hotspots are referred to as being wired, somewhat of a misnomer since the technology is wireless.

A network that generates a hotspot basically consists of a wireless router and modem. The RF, or radio frequency, waves used by a wireless network extend in all directions from the central location of these devices, before finally weakening through interference and lack of signal strength. If a computer is inside the 'shroud' of RF waves, it will have the capability to connect to the network. This area is the hotspot. As the computer moves further away from the router and modem devices, the connection will become weaker and slower. The quality of the connection deteriorates rapidly at the boundary. The computer will lose access completely if it leaves the hotspot.

A hotspot might not be specifically generated for public use. All wireless networks generate RF waves and hotspots. A hotspot can be available outside of a commercial building, for example. In this case, the wireless network is not specifically set up to service public clients, so access will be free. The user is more or less hitchhiking to the Internet. However, a firewall installed in the router may prevent unauthorized access of the hotspot by requesting a username and password before granting access to the Internet.
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by dpetrescu(m): 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2005
Pretty interesting topic you've gotten on in here. Say, Bani.i was wondering if we could get to do a lil talking, man to man. I'm Interested in the Wifi business, as a matter of fact out here in Nigeria i did call Globacom inrespect of this same issue and i was told they're onto it, but i think its going to take a while. I intend creating a hotspot if possible but i need to find out a few facts before embacking on such a project.
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by bani(m): 5:39pm On Nov 22, 2005
i would not mind, the more people are sensitized on it the better.well my number is 08034087104, 08051184497, or 01-8934609.
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by timmy(m): 5:42pm On Nov 22, 2005
bani, bani  wink nice one, anyway i'd been making researches about hotspot since the emergence of psp (play station portable) its kind of intresting (really) but ild like a brief on how one can set it up, but as for me really im more concerned about applications that can can run on it. deploying and creating wifi applications for particular hotspots should be a little money making $$$$ wouldnt it?
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by Makaveli(m): 5:59pm On Nov 22, 2005
Do u hav a p.s.p.
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by timmy(m): 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2005
nope!! but i know a lot bout it, read an article 2 yrs ago about it and i followed the development progress
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by demmy(m): 6:09pm On Nov 22, 2005
timmy the entrepreneur grin Well Iam afraid you can't make money with hotspots just like that, sorry, because hotspot are established from existing internet access to create a wireless access points where people with laptops can wirelessly connect to the internet. Its suitable for university campuses, hotels and shopping malls etc Hell u can create a hotspot from your current internet account, so that you can surf the net from your backyard with your laptop.

Its also called wi-fi standing for wireless fidelity.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm/printable
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by timmy(m): 7:04pm On Nov 22, 2005
so demmy you mean there's almost no way you can develop aps for wifi, w-bout applications that will manage users, create permission, general deplyment, access control managers, real-time view of overall WLAN activity, with the ability to drill down for details on any station, AP, or switch, and also give some other extended services. dont tell me you were thinking i was thinking web design shocked.
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by yimikaw: 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2005
Hi,

Just to let you folks know that I have successfully created hotspots with useful applications. In fact, I've been able to make VoIP calls from such, and am looking at deploying phones such as these in the nearest future: http://wifinetnews.com/archives/002218.html (These phones work on both the GSM and WiFi frequencies).

http://web.net2phone.com/partnerships/distributors/product/broadband/xj100.asp
http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Handsets/WiFi/

http://www.shosteck.com/news/oct04.htm
http://www.abiresearch.com/products/insight/Handset_Wi-Fi_IC_Vendors_Design_Hybrid_Cellular_Wi-Fi_Chipsets
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/dualmode-cellularwifi-handset-adoption.asp

Also worth considering is the topology of such wireless networks and what they can allow you to do. I've been able to create a hotspot spanning several kilometers which allows raoming facilities across multiple access points in the network, and am currently working on switching to a Meshed Topology which is a rugged, robust, self healing and self adaptive toplogy that enables wireless devices connect to each other and share multiple gateways .... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wireless+mesh+topology&spell=1

The possiblities are endless, but am presently eyeing rural telephony:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2004/01/22/wirelessmesh.html
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by Briz(m): 2:05am On Jun 07, 2006
This thread so died down coz no one knew the on-going of the govt on the matter.

Happy to announce that Wireless Internet Hotspots is live in Abuja.

The Federal Capital Territory adminstration has an on-going plan to creat hotspots in all the parks in the city as the first city to be equipped with this technology in Nigeria.

The only place i know Wireless Internet Hotspots being free in Abuja is the Millenium Park, not far from SSS quarters, Federal Sectariat and Nicon Hilton.

I need help in the ad-hoc connection[i][/i]. i mean peer-to-peer connectivity using wireless connection, but it's not being going through. i need some1 to put me through though i don't think it should be much different from the configurations using connecting cables. Merci beaucoup. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

wink wink wink wink
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by wifihotel: 3:16pm On Sep 12, 2006
[center]Setup your WiFi zone in 10 minutes with Hotspot Controlling, Monitoring & Accounting Software with Prepaid and postpaid Billing [/B]

[B]http://Hotspotexpress.in[/B][/center]

All guests in the hotspot zone (hotel,cafe,etc.,)  with laptops can browse Internet, send / receive emails wherever they carry the laptop inside your premises.

[center]Your sample WiFi access card
[img]http://hotspotexpress.in/sample.jpg[/img]

[B]You Can set your Own Tariff / Billing for your users

No software installation is necessary in the guests’ laptop.[/B][/center]

Whenever the guest tries to access Internet, our software “HotspotExpress” will automatically insert a welcome login screen with your predefined logo. The guest needs only to identify himself (type an identification number e.g. room no or Username & Password etc). Once the security authorization is completed, he will be connected to Internet, through the radio frequency transmitters.

Our software will record the logged in time, the usage time, the amount of traffic downloads and uploads, and logged out time.

The Hotel’s management can fix the rates for per hour of browsing, per Mb of download, off peak hour discounts and Plan Charges for bulk & regular users. During checkout, the software will automatically generate bills for the entire guest’s Internet usage based on the rates fixed by the hotel’s management.

[url=http://www.hotspotexpress.in[/b]http://www.hotspotexpress.in[/url]
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by pranil(m): 7:16pm On Sep 12, 2006
To make a peer to peer connection same rules apply as for wired cionnection,

Simplest is to go to wireless connection click on properties go to TCIP IP and' set foolowing adress

IP - 192.168.10.1 for first second will be 192.168.10.2 etc
Gatway 192.168.10.1 ( hopefully if this is your intenet computer you can even share the inetnet connection)

DNS 202.144.66.6
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by ubrankodlapsa: 1:37pm On Jan 12, 2011
ubranka dla duzych psow ubranka dla psow wykroje ubrania dla psa ubranka dla kota ubranka dla psow ubranka dla yorka ubrania dla yorka ubranka dla psow allegro ubranka dla psow wykroje ubranie dla psa ubranka dla psow allegro ubranka dla psow allegro ubranka dla psow wykroje ubranka ubranka dla psow allegro ubranka dla psa ubranka dla psow wykroje
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by legowiskodlapsa: 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
legowiska dla yorków budy dla psa buty dla psa legowiska dla psów buty dla psa legowiska dla dużych psów legowiska dla psów legowiska buty dla psa legowiska dla psów producent posłanie dla psa legowiska dla psa buda dla psa
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by benzion72(m): 1:37pm On Feb 13, 2011
Can you train people on this and what is the cost implications u can reach me on alben2002@gmail.com
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by Dlapsow: 8:39am On Feb 19, 2011
schronisko dla psa ubranka dla psów salon dla psów
hotel dla psów schroniska dla psówhotel dla psów schronisko dla psafryzjer dla psów karma dla psówubrania dla psów salon dla psówubranka dla psów fryzjer dla psów karmy dla psów ubranka dla psówubranka dla psów hotel dla psówhotel dla psów karmy dla psów karma dla psów schronisko dla psa karmy dla psów imiona dla psów schroniska dla psów salon dla psów
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by psyyorki: 12:47pm On Feb 28, 2011
jorki wszystko o yorkach psy yorki wikipedia pies yorki wikipedia yorkshire terrier yorki miniaturki york terier
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by mycafecup: 8:21am On Sep 05, 2011
http://www.MyCafeCup.com

The software solution for internet cafe, gaming center and wifi hotspot.

MyCafeCup is the only one software that can blocking all Online MMORPG Games when timeout. The customer can't continue to play the game for free, unlike other. All of this kind of internetcafe software having a BIG problem with most MMORPG online Games.

Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by goget(m): 3:05pm On Mar 19, 2012
@bani, kindly send wifi proposal to jidde_u@yahoo.com, or call me on 08023801905 I have a client for you.

tx
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by lifestyle1(m): 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2012
@ goget, bani was seen last on this tread 6 years ago, you can send me mail and details about the job I am a Network engineer

life_style32@yahoo.com
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by hunterden: 12:47pm On Mar 21, 2012
@ bani..pls forward proposal to surfcomm@live.com..currently we run 3 cybercafe and we are thinking about hotspot implementation in one of them cos its closer to school environs..will be expecting it soonest
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by lifestyle1(m): 10:02am On Mar 22, 2012
hunterden:

@ bani..pls forward proposal to surfcomm@live.com..currently we run 3 cybercafe and we are thinking about hotspot implementation in one of them cos its closer to school environs..will be expecting it soonest

Did you check the date bani created this thread ? Its 6 years ago. You can contact me for your IT needs on life_style32@yahoo.com
Re: Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots by moscovite: 11:05pm On Jun 13, 2013
Contact me everyone for your hotspot deployment. 20,000 naira and less than 2 hours is what is required

(1) (Reply)

Dell Latitude E7440 Intel Core I5 2.5ghz 500gbhdd/4gbRam/wifi/bluth@100k / Mtn 3g Billing Fraud - Unacceptable / How To Load Invalid Recharge Card And Make Free Calls On Any Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.