Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. (28042 Views)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / I Got A Job Two Months After Service. / I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Pebcak: 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
hunmmmm

I studied physics for bachelors and masters too and during NYSC i worked as a sales Engr in Lagos yo bro that can be really stressful so i truly understand. After NYSC I was offered PA to the CEO position but I turned it down because I will still be doing sales with the CEO but on a larger scale and I dont really like sales I CANT SELL A GLASS OF ICE COLD WATER TO A THIRSTY MAN IN THE DESERT.
Real live advise here depending on you if you think you are a good sales person go for that but i think your best option is actually to take the school job, thats 20k more and you are not paying rent, accommodation might not be ideal but give yourself a strict timeline max of two years and get into something that will place you in a better career path. Your options are unlimited save up for certifications IT or Project Management...... Start attending some conference home and abroad look for cheap ones if you need some IT study material I can send you some for free. And you can actually go the educational path as well since you have your masters degree start looking for US schools or Canada schools find a way of getting funding for your PhD you ll definitely get Grad asst with stipend and tuition waiver and you can be a professor/lecturer either in 9ja or abroad

I believe 80k school work will give chance to develop yourself and launch a better career path after class you can study without the stress of thinking of selling product t client but if you are a good sales person yes you can but with that physics tho bro get some IT certs done and watch that 80K swell like garri ijebu grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by HirstMOG(m): 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
If you have passion for education, go for teaching if not the sales job will be better bro.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by deniyor: 2:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
take the sales one. Talking from experience.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Pascal181: 2:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
D last time I checked 80k was greater than 60k. House is also more of an asset than a car. It's my opinion though

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by ojnnaco(m): 2:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
as a teacher if I ask u dat question as an exam what will be ur answer ?
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by dampola(m): 2:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
The engineering job will give u more job security other than the private school job and it will boost your CV preparing you for a better job. Am talking out of experience dear

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by lovemealways: 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2015
Go for the 80k one. Congratulations. The patience dog eats the fatest bone oooooo! God don butter your bread
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by tempex88(m): 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:
It is about 5 years I completed my NYSC here in Lagos and since then I have been so uncomfortable with my life. I studied Physics & Electronics and Master’s degree from State and Federal institutions. I have been teaching Physics, Mathematics, Further Maths, and Chemistry from private home teaching to private schools to sustain myself since 2012. It has never being easy but as a Christian I keep my hope in God. I have spent a lot of money on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad.

Now, I am to resume work in an engineering firm as a Technical/Product sales engineer with a car next month. Same day, a school offers to employ me as further maths subject teacher with a self-contained accommodation. The confusion now is that the school offers 80k/month while the sales job is 60k/month plus commission on each sale. My highest pay so far per month is 32k.

Dear Moderator, I'll be grateful if my post is on the front page.

I will appreciate your contributions. Thanks a lot.

brother God is opening doors for you, delay is not denial. follow your passion. Since you have plan for a PHD I will suggest teaching. Sales job will derail you and ur msc will b useless
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2015
bro you are funny o....you have been teaching all your life...dont for any minute ponder on the marketing job...you better take that teaching job....who knows from this teaching job, you might go on to become a world famous professor revered by all and sundry
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Etinosajay(m): 2:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
ladyF:
Its not all about the money. What's ur preferred career line, think long term

Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

Idiot. U always have nothing important to say, except be on frontage. Ewu
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by SirAweezy(m): 2:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
It'll be very dumb of you... Going for teaching even if they offer you accomodation and a car.. My friend as a CEO with over 30 staff and also sitting director of three multinationals go for the 60k Job!
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by juitar(m): 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
If d engineering firm job is more like marketing job,u may not go 4it because of d challenges of getting customer, if u love teaching bro u can go 4d sch o.

Check dis out guyzhttp://johnson.36sba.com/
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by uracocksucker: 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
80k and you get a car..really? 60k and you get a house lipsrsealed
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:
It is about 5 years I completed my NYSC here in Lagos and since then I have been so uncomfortable with my life. I studied Physics & Electronics and Master’s degree from State and Federal institutions. I have been teaching Physics, Mathematics, Further Maths, and Chemistry from private home teaching to private schools to sustain myself since 2012. It has never being easy but as a Christian I keep my hope in God. I have spent a lot of money on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad.

Now, I am to resume work in an engineering firm as a Technical/Product sales engineer with a car next month. Same day, a school offers to employ me as further maths subject teacher with a self-contained accommodation. The confusion now is that the school offers 80k/month while the sales job is 60k/month plus commission on each sale. My highest pay so far per month is 32k.

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by kayceeD2(m): 2:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Bacteriocin:
Go for the 80k jor
Taaaaaa.. Why u wan spoil him career now.. Go for the 60k oooo..cox it will improve ur career path... there will also be appraisal, increament all lot more..
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by fotadmowmend(m): 2:47pm On Aug 18, 2015
I will advice you to chose a career line here. Jobs are not always about money but the intristic satisfaction you get from engaging in such activities.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by 400billionman: 2:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

Okay, this is an advice from an experienced engineer.

Go for the engineering job unless you have planned to be a teacher for life, then do otherwise..

You will gain a lot of skills and switch jobs as a practicing engineer. You gain exposure and see the world as a marketer. You think outta the box as an experienced engineer. Your commission might exceed N40,000.

That N60,000,is ur basic pay.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by shut(f): 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

It's a very easy one,easier than ABC.

You've the answer you seek.
What type of future do you dream of,teaching in a classroom or working in the field?
It depends on what you actually want.

Working with the engineering firm will expose you in that field and you'll get more knowledge and connections to other related firm and so will the school job,it'll expose you within that field;dealing with students, teaching ethics and lots more.

It just depend on what type of future you dream of.don't look too much at the price tags and whatever they attach to the job offer,they're just there to distract you.

This decision is yours to make,just peep into your future and ask yourself what it is you really want wink

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by goshen26: 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pebcak:
hunmmmm

I studied physics for bachelors and masters too and during NYSC i worked as a sales Engr in Lagos yo bro that can be really stressful so i truly understand. After NYSC I was offered PA to the CEO position but I turned it down because I will still be doing sales with the CEO but on a larger scale and I dont really like sales I CANT SELL A GLASS OF ICE COLD WATER TO A THIRSTY MAN IN THE DESERT.
Real live advise here depending on you if you think you are a good sales person go for that but i think your best option is actually to take the school job, thats 20k more and you are not paying rent, accommodation might be ideal but give yourself a strict timeline max of two years and get into something that will place you in a better career. Your options are unlimited save up for certifications IT or Project Management...... Start attending some conference home and abroad look for cheap ones if you need some IT study material I can send you some for free.

I believe 80k school work will give chance to develop yourself and launch a better career path after class you can study without the stress of thinking of selling product t client but if you are a good sales person yes you can but with that physics tho bro get some IT certs done and watch that 80K swell like garri ijebu grin grin grin
Lil
I love that phrase "I CANT SELL COLD ICED WATER TO A THIRSTY MAN IN A DESERT"

5 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by ArchEnemy(m): 2:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
chymystique:
Pls go with Engineering Firm. In as much as being a Sales rep is stressful and aint easy but You have your career ahead of you to build, promotions and with the experience you are going to have with this firm. It will open doors for better opportunities and well paid job and then the salary diff aint much. Private Schools are just another slave machine on its own with no growth @ all.. A fed sch paying you 50k is better off than the 80k with accomodation the private school is offering...
eye opener
Bon fait
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by tcalc: 2:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

this ur story almost prompt tears in my eyes man............

speechless
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by desertboom(m): 2:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
Brother, I believe you have been a good teacher for some years now and you know what it takes to accomplish the task of a teacher. If I may divert a little, don't you think is time to try out something different in life?

I will suggest you try the sales job, do something different, look for another professional skill too. Another variety will enable you understand a better taste except you want to remain in teaching line all your life.

Bro, take the sales job as an adventure. Try something different and have a different story to tell other than student and teacher kind.

Success to you

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by dandollar1: 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
guseman:
My view is for you to pick up the job that you have the highest passion for which I believe is teaching and you are afraid of the sales/technical support job because of the challenges of the new sales Job.

I was once upon a time in this situation. Got an IT offer with a small pay and an insurance marketing executive jobs. My Uncle asked me to take the IT offer that all what Insurance marketers does is walking around from one office to the other.

I finally pick the marketing job because of my background is in social sciences not Engineering and all the adverts of telecommunications companies I do see always ask for people with engineering background so picked sales job. I never received a dime for the four months I worked with the Insurance Company but I spent the 50k my Mum gave me for CCNA certification o transportation just trying to know Lagos that was in 2009. I got another job after four months. All the clients am getting I handed them to a friend because I told her this is not what I want in life begging people to secure their future so as for me to put food on the table for my family.

Today I am a professional Salesman and I am glad I made that decision. I have worked in many states of the federation and I have been a manager for about four years now.

My story has never remain the same. My sister is the Head of School for Eight years, when she was asked to go, I don't think they gave her anything. As I am typing this message, my Cousin who is also a Principal in a private school is editing his CV because after 7years He is asked to go without any meaningful compensation because they work in a private school.

As a salesman, meeting targets might be stressful but it will makes you go places and meet people. Apart from pupils parents and church members, your interaction with outside world is limited as a teacher but I will submit by saying the decision is yours because it is all about your passion not necessarily the money involved.

But honestly each time I go home and I see my teachers I cried inside of my heart and if you must know, my father was Head Master during his lifetime. It's all about what gives you joy. If you want to be rich in life, don't ever consider you will be rich by teaching. You can only live a comfortable life without taking risk and retire and live on your pension that is if you teach in a government school. If you think otherwise ask your lectures, some of their students earn four times their salary.

Many of my friends that are teachers today don't like taking risk and they are always comfortable with their little salary but at times they complain. But if you want to be rich in life and make it to the top, think the other way.
Lolzzzzz @ the bolded. Go and ask teachers teaching kindergartens in NLNG schools how far. Please, don't always generalise.

3 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by adexpa(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
a brother in need of any pay job before service. i am a fresh graduate of mechanical engineering waiting for service come this october. I stays around Idimu/isherin region of alimosho.my number incase of any assistance.......07068292560

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by MadCow1: 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
Take the Car..

Wait what type of Car self?

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pls give me one of the jobs

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by heftycul: 3:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
Wat so ever choice u make
Wish yu goodluck
Amin
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by daclemx: 3:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
Bro go F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ d sales job. Career wise, its better F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ ‎​u. In the boarding school, ‎​u won't ave the time to go out like d sales job.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

It all depends on your interest. You alone can answer this question. Use a decision matrix to guide you in choosing the best option. List the parameters/criteria that you feel are important to you such as pay (net), interest (passion), job satisfaction, potential for learning and development etc, then attach a weighting factor to each parameter based on their degree of importance. for instance, if the pay is more important to you, attach a weighting factor of say 5 bearing in mind that a parameter not as important as the pay will carry a lower weighting factor.

If job A pays high, then give it a score of say 8 on scale of 10 and give job B a score of 5 ( on a 10 point scale). in total, job A would give a total score of 8x5 = 40 while job B would give a total score 5x5 = 25. Do the same for other parameters and sum everything. Pick the one with the highest score overall. I hope you get my points.

For someone like me (a young graduate), I will attach a higher weighting factor to the learning potential and interest compared with the earning. It all depends on what's important to you. If I were a married man, of course, the pay will have the highest weighting factor because that would be more important to me.

All the best!

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by dotune(m): 3:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
Msc 60k per month I'm off to Kenya to demand my own money from Jona and mama peace. I will start a biz with my own share.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hair Dressing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? / Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These / Mckinsey First Round Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.