Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,746 members, 7,802,278 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. (28035 Views)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / I Got A Job Two Months After Service. / I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by kkboy(m): 4:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
If you are the very ambitious and creative type take up the engineering firm job. But if you are the conservative and contented type the teaching job may suffix. The decision is entirely yours
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by mikolo80: 4:16pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:
It is about 5 years I completed my NYSC here in Lagos and since then I have been so uncomfortable with my life. I studied Physics & Electronics and Master’s degree from State and Federal institutions. I have been teaching Physics, Mathematics, Further Maths, and Chemistry from private home teaching to private schools to sustain myself since 2012. It has never being easy but as a Christian I keep my hope in God. I have spent a lot of money on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad.

Now, I am to resume work in an engineering firm as a Technical/Product sales engineer with a car next month. Same day, a school offers to employ me as further maths subject teacher with a self-contained accommodation. The confusion now is that the school offers 80k/month while the sales job is 60k/month plus commission on each sale. My highest pay so far per month is 32k.

Dear Moderator, I'll be grateful if my post is on the front page.

I will appreciate your contributions. Thanks a lot.
do you enjoy teaching. there are other investments you can do to bring in more money than doing salesman for another company but you'll also learn a lot about sales which is the alpha and omega of business success from the car company plus contacts which you could still make from your students parents. you just Gats to de flexible, keep your eyes and ears open and trust the almighty to guide you
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by abason(m): 4:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
Go for sales rep. period!
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by kilonso001(m): 4:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
An 80K job, you wont be paying rent every year plus you will be doing what you have been doing for some years past. On the other hand, you have a sales job with 60k per month and there is no assurance you will be meeting up with target every month. Remember that after some time if you dont meet up with your target your employer might sack you.

I will go for the 80k job....

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by LaconicINC: 4:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
Above all pray, what is your inner witness telling you? For me I rather you go for whatever gives you satisfaction, in Making your decision don't look at the money, look at the prospects, and follow your passion!

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by LaconicINC: 4:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
400billionman:

Avoiding risks is the surest way to poverty.
One million likes!
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Pronmix(m): 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

Thanks for ur contribution.
I'm not sure if the school job is pensionable but there's health insurance with free education for four kids but I'm not yet married. The engineering job is pensionable after 6 month with 4 different allowances after probation period of 6 months.
With this statement now I'd say go for the engineering job really, it's about the life after the job. Think about it.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Joshmon(m): 5:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
I almost fell for the skul job but if d sales engineer job offers u pension bro u beta opt for it...working and knowing dia is somtin for u in d evening is a gud feeling
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by amazingspiderma: 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
I will advice you to go for the sales engineering job for the following reasons,if you can handle your accomodation.

The sales job will expose you to people. As you move around you will meet people,that you may never meet as teacher.
Having a sales experience as an engineering person is a great assesst that will differentiate you in future,it will enhance your negotiating and social skills.
It is a path to discover your abilities.Most organizations I know will die to employ people with with engineering and sales experience.

Lastly a company that could offer to give you a car for a sales position in Nigeria,should have a strong capital base and would not fire a graduate with sales experience so easily.

You can chose to continue as a teacher,but all you will experience is just drama with teenagers,but with sales you can see the world better.

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Yomit71(m): 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
if u're the type that has entrepreneurship mindset lik mysef, tak d teachin job & gather money within 3 years 4 source of capital, then quit afta d 3rd year & become ur own boss.
notin pays than being ur own boss baba
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by bxcode(m): 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
You said you are a Christian, have you prayed about it for divine direction because whether you like it or not there is more to what the eyes sees, you don't know how 5 years after getting either of the jobs will look like.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by tranxo(m): 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:
It is about 5 years I completed my NYSC here in Lagos and since then I have been so uncomfortable with my life. I studied Physics & Electronics and Master’s degree from State and Federal institutions. I have been teaching Physics, Mathematics, Further Maths, and Chemistry from private home teaching to private schools to sustain myself since 2012. It has never being easy but as a Christian I keep my hope in God. I have spent a lot of money on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad.

Now, I am to resume work in an engineering firm as a Technical/Product sales engineer with a car next month. Same day, a school offers to employ me as further maths subject teacher with a self-contained accommodation. The confusion now is that the school offers 80k/month while the sales job is 60k/month plus commission on each sale. My highest pay so far per month is 32k.

Close your eyes, forget about the money, and ask yourself, "what is my passion? which of these jobs will give me job satisfaction? which of them will make me happy?"

After answering these questions , open your eyes and make your choice

All your activities and experiences from 2012 till now are just preparation for this moment. You already have a dream. Choose the job that will support this dream. God moves in mysterious ways.

Congratulations.

Meanwhile, 1 liter of fuel na .........
Accommodation rent na ......

Lol.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by chuksmad(m): 5:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
To be on a safe side, take up the teaching job, as you have passion to further your education, you will have time and resources to achieve that. And with being focus, you can have your phd and higher qualification to teach in university.
Level don change be that as a lecturer more respect from the society, than working your ass as a sales person in one private company.
Talking from experience
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by tranxo(m): 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2015
All the talk about pension should not arise. How many people retire at their first job? Considering pension at this stage is not motivating. IMHO
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:36pm On Aug 18, 2015
Na wa ooo

If u av been blogging for that five years, u won't have to settle for any of these shits.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by STEVENcrack(m): 5:47pm On Aug 18, 2015
KINDlY READ ME.

Are u 4 real. That car thEy are offering aint yours and u cud sacked at anytime..did u take ur time to know why dat position is vacant, if they sacked the former employee.

I wud advice u go for the teaching job the chances of been sacked is very low and moreover u wud be taking Fmaths which wud earn u some private lesson and that means u cud earn notin less than 100k. Then u can go for ur PHD..apply for leacturing job which I know pays noTin leSs than 200k.

Think about it very well bro..the multitude may not always be ryt. Seek professional advice, u already gat one @ ur disposal.

THANK ME LERRA
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by tsdarkside(m): 5:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
hahahahaha...guy you funny....you must be very good,,,everybody wants you.......thumps up!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by xxgig(m): 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pebcak:
hunmmmm

I studied physics for bachelors and masters too and during NYSC i worked as a sales Engr in Lagos yo bro that can be really stressful so i truly understand. After NYSC I was offered PA to the CEO position but I turned it down because I will still be doing sales with the CEO but on a larger scale and I dont really like sales I CANT SELL A GLASS OF ICE COLD WATER TO A THIRSTY MAN IN THE DESERT.
Real live advise here depending on you if you think you are a good sales person go for that but i think your best option is actually to take the school job, thats 20k more and you are not paying rent, accommodation might be ideal but give yourself a strict timeline max of two years and get into something that will place you in a better career. Your options are unlimited save up for certifications IT or Project Management...... Start attending some conference home and abroad look for cheap ones if you need some IT study material I can send you some for free.

I believe 80k school work will give chance to develop yourself and launch a better career path after class you can study without the stress of thinking of selling product t client but if you are a good sales person yes you can but with that physics tho bro get some IT certs done and watch that 80K swell like garri ijebu grin grin grin

Pls I wiil need the materials you have on IT. I will be graduating as B.ENG Chemical in about 2 months from now. My email isaacesez@yahoo.com
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by peterian: 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
..it all depends on ur zeal for sales...I was once in ur shoes.., I got 2sales job n. Was to resume Same day. One offered 20k then n d other 40k wt commission.I chosed my current place of wrk because of d coy name and I'm nt regretting it. Though it wasn't. Easy because I've never really done sales job.my take home now is over 100k Aside side runs n depending on how sales is .deer's always a reason behind ur choice... Look inward and ull see d reason...deer's no job without Challenges... All d best..
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Winneygirl(f): 6:16pm On Aug 18, 2015
I have one question....
Which company offers one a Job of 60k plus car?
Which company is this? What is the company selling?
Why would a company attach a car to a position where they intend to pay 60k?
Some companies sugar coat their offers with lies.
Maybe the car is like a branch car which everyone can use and they are claiming that a car is attached...
Or has anyone gotten a job of 60k and a car was attached?

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by yurmieP(m): 6:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dey r both gud,,bt dis where ur passion comes in,ur future carreer...wat u luv doin(if ani or related 2 ani of dem)
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by DanielPop(m): 7:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
Go for the job you have a passion for. Sometimes the pay does not equate the job dissatisfaction!

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by patlead: 7:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dude,you are not married.... Fashy that self contain trap.....you will get more than a self contain when your sales commission rolls in.

If it were me I will take on new challenges... Build a career.

Am assuming that the engineering coy is a reputable one.

If you wanna keep earning below hundred 100k for a long time and want just a decent lifestyle take the teaching job

Am assuming both jobs are pensionable sha!
The medical is just a cache...it won't cover much judging by the salary.

God will give u greater and well paying job...very soon and me too grin
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by menacity(m): 8:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Remzoid: 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
your value,degrees,certifications and knowledge are still far more than what both jobs are offering believe me there are still good firms out there that are looking for people like you at great salary package,don't limit ypurself

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Pidggin(f): 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
400billionman:

Avoiding risks is the surest way to poverty.

So teachers avoid risk and all are poor right?! Are you listening to yourself @ all?

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by 007A1: 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Well either way you chose is a way but am very sure in between the two there is one you will perfectly fit in.... even I know not if it were to be by experience... you must have had it all from the different ideas on the table.... but what everybody knows not is how it will finally turn out for you and it is very important that makes you scare of outcome... I might choose one for you and ask you to shun the other believe me in between the two I have learn as a prospective economics student that as about want ...human need are unlimited so which makes me conclude you can never get 100%satisfy wit any decision make and it may be that one is 40% and the other 20% but fortunately for you, you followed my idea of 40% but in the future you didn't get satisfied as expected not knowing the 40%even as low as it is... it is the best... so it will turn to had I know.. regret... so in a nutshel not to regret I have someone who knows the future cos He alone hold it.... and it is God... so my advice is you sincerely pray over it and tell him to direct you in your decision making.... so you will be rest assure that it is the best decision you make and that assurance alone that you are not alone in it will take you to your next juncture... remember wat works for Mr A sometimes don't work for Mr B....tested advice
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by aligeee(m): 10:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
chymystique:
Pls go with Engineering Firm. In as much as being a Sales Rep is stressful and aint easy but You have your career and connections ahead of you to build, promotions and with the experience you are going to have with this firm. It will open doors for better opportunities and well paid job and then the salary diff aint much. Private Schools are just another slave machine on its own with no growth @ all.. A fed sch paying you 50k is better off than the 80k with accomodation the private school is offering...
Better pikin. You are very much on point.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
Honestly I don't understand this country at all o. Imagine someone with this kind qualifications receiving 80k per month and my E-diot fwnd working In NNPC with pass in OND cause of his father connection receiving close to 200k. I tire I swear
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by ilublessing: 11:56pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pls go for the Technical job. I started as a coach in an evening class after rejecting full time teaching job, thereafter i got insurance job. With the sales job, u can plan ur time for other interviews. When I was working with insurance company I got an engineering job after two months. Two months after again, I move to another big engineering/telecom company. Presently, I am happy in working for another.

Kindly accept the offer of sales rep.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by hollowpot15684(m): 1:16am On Aug 19, 2015
Jacseyi:

Pls go for the 60k...its a long thing to start analyzing why but just go for it.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by obstead200(m): 3:50am On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
U have good options. Everyone suggesting u go for one job and leave d other have not asked d basic questions; for the school- what is the probability of remaining in biz? What is their student population? will the location encourage future growth? What is d management like? Are they future oriented and always on their toes? What is there present standard? Is it at par with schools of the same grade offering similar pay level? And so on.......

For the engineering firm: what is their previous financials like? What is their previous technical performance? What are their main products? Is it something in demand? Is it something u think the target market will like to buy? Is it something u can successfully sell? Is it of standard quality and priced at par with the existing competition? What is there management like? Are they future oriented?[/size]

U see, u can grow in any of them but u need to know the above before u can make ur decision.

Personally, if I believe I can sell d products and d target market are willing to buy it and also financially capable to do so, I will go for the engineering job. But there are some kind of marketing I can never do e.g insurance, banking, pension, gnld and its relatives, travel agency, etc.
Give me a real product that is standard and suitably priced for the competition, show me d target market and consider ur product sold.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These / Woman Loses Pregnancy After Alleged Kick From Lebanese Boss / Must It Be In A Mortuary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.