Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Our National Anthem & Pledge:our Pride And Strength - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our National Anthem & Pledge:our Pride And Strength (3542 Views)

See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / GEJ, Swallow Your Pride And Allow UN/US Fighter Jets To Bombard Sambissa / put your pride and arrogance aside- edwin clark to saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our National Anthem & Pledge:our Pride And Strength by jesuseun1(m): 1:55am On Sep 30, 2006
THE NATIONAL ANTHEM

Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom,
Peace and unity.

Oh God of creation,
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youths the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

THE NATIONAL PLEDGE
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

BRIEF ANTHEM HISTORY:

Before Nigeria's independence, the British National anthem was used at festivals and official ceremonies, and not surprisingly, it prayed for the British Monarch. Shortly before independence, a new anthem, written by two British ladies, was adopted as the new anthem. This was then again changed in 1978 to the above. The National Publicity Committee organized a competition for a new national anthem. The final words (listed above) were formed from the entries of the best five picks: John A Ilechukwu, Eme Etim Akpan, B A Ogunnaike, Sota Omoigui and P. O. Aderibigbe. The music was composed by Nigerian Police Band, headed by Ben Odiase

VISIT www.motherlandnigeria.com/patriotic. to listen to them.
Are we not proud of the contents.views and comments are welcome.
Re: Our National Anthem & Pledge:our Pride And Strength by Odeku(m): 2:06am On Sep 30, 2006
How interesting can all the governors recite this verse? I wonder how many will fail
Re: Our National Anthem & Pledge:our Pride And Strength by Ugwumba(m): 2:06am On Sep 30, 2006
compared to the old one, this is just balderdash;

OLD, RELIABLE ANTHEM

1. Nigeria we hail thee, Our own dear native land
  Though tribe and tongue may differ, in unity, we stand,
   Nigerians all, are proud to serve, our sovereign Motherland.

2. Our flag shall be our symbol[b], that truth and justice reigns[/b]    
   In peace or battle honoured, and this we count as gain
   To hand on to our children, a banner without stain

3. Oh God of all creation, grant this our one request
   Help us to build a Nation, where no man is oppressed
   And so with peace and plenty, Nigeria will be blessed

(1) (Reply)

Senators Plot To Impeach Yar'adua / Typical Northern Road / Life Of SIR AHMADU BELLO (the Sardauna Of Sokoto)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.