Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,827 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople (7542 Views)

Peter Obi Walking Home On Lagos Bridge After Church Service (Photos) / Julius Berger And RCC Have Started Work On Lagos-ibadan Expressway (PHOTO) / Fulani Herdsmen Cause Accident On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by thegoodone2(m): 9:25pm On Aug 16, 2015
You said Lagos belong to Benin. I want you to ask your father this question. what are the names of Oduduwa children? Benin Republic is one of Oduduwa son that went there.

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Flyoruboy(m): 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Are you a true Lagosian or you MIGRATED like other tribes from Oshogbo? Stick to the topic, what the Op-ed is saying is, Lagos is not YORUBA land, there are indigenous LAGOSIANS.

Go back to Oshogbo ASAP!!!!

You are a fool, simple. Get a map and clean out the border between Lagos and Ogun state and what do you have? A BIG ASS Ogun state swallowing up Lagos. No other group but the Yorubas could be the natural inhabitants of Lagos -- to the West of Lagos is Rep. Of Benin, while Ogun and Ondo are to its East. So either way you wanna look at it, Lagos has ALWAYS been bordered by Yorubaland and her vassals. You no try at all.

7 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

The aforementioned people are the INDIGENOUS LAGOSIANS. Lagos is not for ALL YORUBA as you migrant claim so that you can continue ruling Lagos against the wishes of the indigenous people. Lagos is for Lagosians only, you Yoruba migrant should go back to Oshogbo please.
guy what's all dis "oshogbo" u are just tellin me to go back to sef,av I eva tell u dat am from osun state? Use ur brain guy..my dad is from ondo and my mum is from imota so try get sense

8 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

Look here
SCIENCE is a: French, English, Italian Etc word that has its origin in Latin
How does that stop the word from being any less English?

Oba of Benin himself bears a title that has its origins in Yorubaland..... so If you say Lagos is Benin, then Benin is yoruba...isn't that so?

Sorry sir, your logic is wrong. Because a part of title is another language doesn't mean the person actually has root from the place.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Are you a true Lagosian or you MIGRATED like other tribes from Oshogbo? Stick to the topic, what the Op-ed is saying is, Lagos is not YORUBA land, there are indigenous LAGOSIANS.

Go back to Oshogbo ASAP!!!!
what is d meaning of yorubas? yoruba meant for yoruba speakers anywhere in the world. any native dat speak d odua language they are yoruba likewise the Aworis of this day still speak yoruba likewise Ekiti, Akoko, Ilaje, Ijebu, e.t.c they r all yoruba speakers therefore yoruba people.
so what it simply means is that Lagos is yoruba's land
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

The aforementioned people are the INDIGENOUS LAGOSIANS. Lagos is not for ALL YORUBA as you migrant claim so that you can continue ruling Lagos against the wishes of the indigenous people. Lagos is for Lagosians only, you Yoruba migrant should go back to Oshogbo please.

And the Indigenous Lagosians he listed are what?
If everyone that migrated to Lagos are to go back to their villages, the people remaining there will still be Yorubas.... the likes of Tiwa Savage, Oba Akiolu Etc...

6 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
Omololu007:
so what's d meanin of eko?
A yoruba man asking me what's the meaning of "eko"?
This is hilarious grin
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 9:29pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Sorry sir, your logic is wrong. Because a part of title is another language doesn't mean the person actually has root from the place.

we are saying the same thing.
because the word 'Eko" might have been of Edo Origin does not make Lagos any less Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 9:29pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

grin
You should answer my question first.
eko means lagos

4 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 16, 2015
Omololu007:
guy what's all dis "oshogbo" u are just tellin me to go back to sef,av I eva tell u dat am from osun state? Use ur brain guy..my dad is from ondo and my mum is from imota so try get sense

Good then go back to Ondo state and let Lagosians Govern Lagos. Lagosians are not running for elections in Ondo state. Leave Lagos for Lagosians and go back to where you migrated from.

Yorubas go back to your evil forests.

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

A yoruba man asking me what's the meaning of "eko"?

This is hilarious grin
dis eko dat u ibos are fightin about sef,hav u forgotten dat oba rilwan akinolu an eko king,was d one dat wanna drown u ibos in d lagoongrin

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Good then go back to Ondo state and let Lagosians Govern Lagos. Lagosians are not running for elections in Ondo state. Leave Lagos for Lagosians and go back to where you migrated from.

gush! I just dey wonder ao old u go be,wia in my post do I tell u dat am in lagos? And am sure u don't know wia imota is located grin

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by anulaxad(m): 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Stop saying thing you can't verify. How can "eko" mean Lagos?

Lagos is now a yoruba word?

What is the meaning of this?

Lagos is rivers in Portuguese. The translation is Eko. You can translate Yoruba into any language. Haba, you are so arrogantly foolish.

I can't fight stupidity anymore, this is Sunday for crying out loud.

Lagos (/ˈleɪɡɒs/ lay-gos /ˈlɑːɡoʊs/),[12][13][14][15] (Yoruba: Èkó). Does this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Lmao...
Ehhya, Highly paineed. Lagos is Yoruba territory...
And YOU.... An omo nna foreigner, can not come from the Eroded East to tell us how to run our region...
Imagine the audacity...

When will you go to Kano and tell them to deport people from the Sokoto caliphate back to Sokoto?

9 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
Omololu007:
dis eko dat u ibos are fightin about sef,is oba rilwan akinolu a eko king dat wanna drown u ibos in d lagoongrin

I wanted him to drown me but unfortunately, I'm not in Lagos grin
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 9:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

an ibo man callin ondo an "evil forests" grin,u beta com and see d nombas of ibos in akure,ondo town,okitipupa,ikare by ursef...I will go back to my state afta d oba of eko,oba rilwan akinolu hav finish drownin u ibos in d lagoon cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 9:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
Omololu007:
an ibo man callin ondo an "evil forests" grin,u beta com and see d nombas of ibos in akure,ondo town,okitipupa,ikare by ursef...I will go back to my state afta d oba of eko,oba rilwan akinolu hav finish drownin u ibos in d lagoon cheesy

lol, Ibos actually think Lagos is the only part of Yorubaland they have infested.....

10 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by funmijoyb(f): 9:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
Flyoruboy:

If they like they should cook, spice, fry and fabricate a spurious history that suits their wet dreams. None of that will change the fact that Yorubas are and will always remain the Landlords of Lagos. Make them go build their own for SE Dem no gree. Instead na Yorubaland Dem dey feju mo. Na wah.
Don't mind them jawe OP seriously we need to kick them out cuz they are too stubborn out of d tribes in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:39pm On Aug 16, 2015
anulaxad:

What is the meaning of this?

Lagos is rivers in Portuguese. The translation is Eko. You can translate Yoruba into any language. Haba, you are so arrogantly foolish.

I can't fight stupidity anymore, this is Sunday for crying out loud.

Lagos (/ˈleɪɡɒs/ lay-gos /ˈlɑːɡoʊs/),[12][13][14][15] (Yoruba: Èkó). Does this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

Why are you being emotional online grin

You should learn to argue without any form of emotions.

Now, you said Lagos is portuguese and its translation is eko? Oh please, this is language you guys infused into your language to be able to claim the land. The etymology of the "eko" is not yoruba. That means its not a yoruba land.

grin grin grin

Calm down bro and argue without insults.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by totit: 9:40pm On Aug 16, 2015
Omololu007:

Ibo this is for you grin

8 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:41pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

we are saying the same thing.
because the word 'Eko" might have been of Edo Origin does not make Lagos any less Yoruba.

Scholes, nope, you're wrong from logical deductions.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 9:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
totit:

Ibo this is for you grin
let d op and his ibo brothers go and protest in d front of a yoruba man company,askin yorubas from ondo,ekiti,osun,ogun and oyo state to leave lagos grin
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

Look here
SCIENCE is a: French, English, Italian Etc word that has its origin in Latin
How does that stop the word from being any less English?

Oba of Benin himself bears a title that has its origins in Yorubaland..... so If you say Lagos is Benin, then Benin is yoruba...isn't that so?

Please understand something, the words we use in our languages shows the interaction we had with other people in the past.

But the name of land can not be from people who are not the owners of the land except it has been conquered. You understand.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by totit: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2015
Omololu007:
let d op and his ibo brothers go and protest in d front of a yoruba man company,askin yorubas from ondo,ekiti,osun,ogun and oyo state to leave lagos grin

grin

It's ok.
This sums it up.

There is no doubt at all that there is a strand in contemporary Igbo behaviour that can offend; by its noisy exhibitionism and disregard for humility and quietness"
.............Chinua Achebe.

11 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by funmijoyb(f): 9:47pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Now, you said Lagos is portuguese and its translation is eko? Oh please, this is language you guys infused into your language to be able to claim the land. The etymology of the "eko" is not yoruba. That means its not a yoruba land.

grin grin grin

so if they asked you who are the native people of Eko now you don't knw? all tribes in nigeria and d world knows this except the envious igbos that's about to leave

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by anulaxad(m): 9:48pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

grin grin grin

I wash my hands with you.

Like seriously, how arrogant and egotistic can a man be? Is that hard to accept when your wrong.

Lagos (/ˈleɪɡɒs/ lay-gos /ˈlɑːɡoʊs/),[12][13][14][15] (Yoruba: Èkó)

Source: Wikipedia and every Yoruba person https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

Are you blind? Huh

You do know the Benin royal family descends from Oduduwa?

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Please understand something, the words we use in our languages shows the interaction we had with other people in the past.

But the name of land can not be from people who are not the owners of the land except it has been conquered. You understand.

Benin's former name was Igodomigodo before the Yorubas changed it to Ile Ibini... and later Benin
We Conquered it.....

You want to run a backyard game on Lagos ownership via Benin, I will run that same game on you on the ownership of Benin itself via Yoruba.

8 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 9:58pm On Aug 16, 2015
anulaxad:

I wash my hands with you.

Like seriously, how arrogant and egotistic can a man be? Is that hard to accept when your wrong.

Lagos (/ˈleɪɡɒs/ lay-gos /ˈlɑːɡoʊs/),[12][13][14][15] (Yoruba: Èkó)

Source: Wikipedia and every Yoruba person https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

Are you blind? Huh

You do know the Benin royal family descends from Oduduwa?

Mr, I don't know the school you attended but if you were to write a project and you cite wikipedia, you will re-write the project from the scratch.

Lagos is a portuguese name, while eko is bini language. There's nothing yoruba in both words. If you want to apply logic here, you'll say the binis met the portuguese in eko.

So, yorubas like other tribes are migrants in Lagos.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

lol, Ibos actually think Lagos is the only part of Yorubaland they have infested.....
Just take a trip to ife, ilesha or oshogbo. Ibos are everywhere in those places. Lol. Let me not even mention ibadan, I had ibo friends back in oau that are naturalised ibadan.These ibos in ilu oke speak yoruba with an oyo accent. grin

4 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by anulaxad(m): 10:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Mr, I don't know the school you attended but if you were to write a project and you cite wikipedia, you will re-write the project from the scratch.

Lagos is a portuguese name, while eko is bini language. There's nothing yoruba in both words. If you want to apply logic here, you'll say the binis met the portuguese in eko.

So, yorubas like other tribes are migrants in Lagos.

I tell myself I won't reply to you, but you say some of the most patronising things, Try and edit Wikipedia for yourself please do so.

You first said Eko does not mean Lagos, know you are saying Eko is not Yoruba, Haba make up your mind. I provided evidence and you rejected it. Who are the indigenes of Lagos, btw Aworis and Ijebus are Yoruba.

It is my language and I am telling you who is clearly not Yoruba what Lagos means.

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 16, 2015
I wonder why an idiot thinks sitting in his room and typing gibberish will erase the history that has been there before his cursed forefathers.

Ibos are pathetic.

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 10:17pm On Aug 16, 2015
anulaxad:

I tell myself I won't reply to you, but you say some of the most patronising things, Try and edit Wikipedia for yourself please do so.

You first said Eko does not mean Lagos, no you are saying Eko is not Yoruba, Haba make up your mind. I provided evidence and you rejected it. Who are the indigenes of Lagos, btw Aworis and Ijebus are Yoruba.

It is my language and I am telling you who is clearly not Yoruba what Lagos means.

Ok, let the argument end here.

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria / Independent Petroleum Marketers Association Of Nigeria Elect New Executive Team / We Are Ready For Osun Guber Election – INEC Declares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.