Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,661 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On (3834 Views)

A Major New Xbox One Update Overhauls The Dashboard With Fluent Design / New Xbox 1 S Forza Horizon 3 / The New Xbox Scorpio: Most Powerful Game Right Now And Worthy PS4 Opponent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2015
Gurus in the house, pls help. I bought a brand new xbox one on Jumia about 8 months ago and never had time to test it until now (have been away for sometime). Upon plugging it into the mains, I found out that the unit is faulty as it powers on and subsequently goes off after about 15 seconds. I have tried most of the troubleshooting ideas/suggestions I could find online without success. Geeks in the house, pls what else can I do to solve this challenge?
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by spenca: 6:46am On Aug 17, 2015
I really can't say what the problem would be, it could be software or hardware, but when it doesn't stay on, you really can't diagnose anything, do try to contact Microsoft and hear out their suggestion but it's really unsafe to buy stuffs of that nature from "Jumia" without testing it out for weeks . I would have suggested you upgrade the firmware but again it's not staying on. What do you use in powering on the Xb1?
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by Chidexter(m): 8:26am On Aug 17, 2015
If the console is powered enough for u to check menus quickly
Check to see if your Xbox One is set to turn off automatically. Head to “Settings,” then select “Power & Supply,” then choose “Turn off after.” Choose the “Don’t Turn off Automatically” option and you are set.
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 8:43am On Aug 17, 2015
spenca:
I really can't say what the problem would be, it could be software or hardware, but when it doesn't stay on, you really can't diagnose anything, do try to contact Microsoft and hear out their suggestion but it's really unsafe to buy stuffs of that nature from "Jumia" without testing it out for weeks . I would have suggested you upgrade the firmware but again it's not staying on. What do you use in powering on the Xb1?
. Thanks a bunch spencer. Yea, I wanted to buy it from Amazon but the Jumia price was cheaper (given high dollar rates, shipping costs and all), so I went for the one on Jumia. Not testing it was a major mistake. I assumed that it will work fine, then travelled. I have been connecting it to the mains with the power brick that came with it. The power brick works fine. My reseach online revealed that its a manufacturer's defect as a lot of xb1 owners also reported the same problem. Microsoft has been accepting the defective ones and replacing. The problem now is getting it to Microsoft and getting back the replacement. I don't know how to go about it yet. Its really a pain. Please how do u think I can overcome this challenge?
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 8:51am On Aug 17, 2015
Chidexter:
Check to see if your Xbox One is set to turn off automatically. Head to “Settings,” then select “Power & Supply,” then choose “Turn off after.” Choose the “Don’t Turn off Automatically” option and you are set.
thanks bro. It won't even get to the menu stage. It trips off once it shows the xbox logo. About 15 seconds after being powered on. I even bought a new power brick and the problem persists. Meaning that its the main unit that is the problem. It really sucks.
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by Chidexter(m): 8:57am On Aug 17, 2015
omodada1111:
thanks bro. It won't even get to the menu stage. It trips off once it shows the xbox logo. About 15 seconds after being powered on. I even bought a new power brick and the problem persists. Meaning that its the main unit that is the problem. It really sucks.

hmmm based on my research you're not the only one affected, order for a replacement from microsoft.

Do not take it for repairs, as it cant be repaired, unless replaced. And trying to repair it will void warranty
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 9:07am On Aug 17, 2015
Chidexter:

hmmm based on my research you're not the only one affected, order for a replacement from microsoft.

Do not take it for repairs, as it cant be repaired, unless replaced. And trying to repair it will void warranty
this is really painful. Am thinking of how to send it all the way to Microsoft. The shipping costs, delay and all. Pls, any ideas on the cost effective way of getting it done?
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by Chidexter(m): 9:59am On Aug 17, 2015
omodada1111:
this is really painful. Am thinking of how to send it all the way to Microsoft. The shipping costs, delay and all. Pls, any ideas on the cost effective way of getting it done?

Here, follow this link, it should help.
It might cost you but thats the only viable option.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/warranty-and-service/packing-and-shipping-faq

Xbox will give you a new one + a disc.
:\
Though the cost of everything (could) be enough to purchase another console.
It all depends on your choice now.
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by spenca: 10:29am On Aug 17, 2015
omodada1111:
. Thanks a bunch spencer. Yea, I wanted to buy it from Amazon but the Jumia price was cheaper (given high dollar rates, shipping costs and all), so I went for the one on Jumia. Not testing it was a major mistake. I assumed that it will work fine, then travelled. I have been connecting it to the mains with the power brick that came with it. The power brick works fine. My reseach online revealed that its a manufacturer's defect as a lot of xb1 owners also reported the same problem. Microsoft has been accepting the defective ones and replacing. The problem now is getting it to Microsoft and getting back the replacement. I don't know how to go about it yet. Its really a pain. Please how do u think I can overcome this challenge?

Something about replacement is that it doesn't happen in this part of the world , check the Xbox website you would see that it was made for this region there is a way it is written there so the best thing is for the store you bought it to take it through the line of purchase till it gets to Microsoft but again that would have been an easier solution assuming you got it of recent , only solution I see is to take it to an engineer or best if you have someone traveling , he/she could fix it for you through Microsoft engineers abroad or check their warranty policy . I was affect by one Microsoft bug earlier this year which came with one of their updates and the Microsoft agent I was speaking to basically was telling me to suck my problems up coz she basically told me there is nothing that can be done in Africa except it returns to them through channel of purchase as they have no official retailer/wholesaler in Nigeria. But first of all my XB1 goes off also if I have a bad power output, in fact it goes off and the power brick doesn't come back on except I put it off from the main power outlet for some seconds and put it back on, try connect it through a power stabilizer or UPS. All the best mate
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by spenca: 10:32am On Aug 17, 2015
Chidexter:

This can't even be the problem coz of the short time it stays on, no console would be set to auto sleep within seconds not even 5mins , not possible
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 10:50am On Aug 17, 2015
cry hurts! I bought this console primarily because of one game...killer instinct! I have the killer instinct CD, no functional console! Am a fan boy of this game (played it a lot as a kid and the nostalgia is heart warming for me) Will soon be on vacation for the year and this is ruining my vacation plans *sobs* . Option 1: order a new console, Option 2: chase replacement vigorously, Option 3: wait for the pc port of the game (to arrive in 2016 according to rumours). All these options are not looking so good in view of my vacation plans. Remote Option 4: watch killer instinct game plays on youtube - Another painful option. cry why oh why...
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 17, 2015
omodada1111:
cry hurts! I bought this console primarily because of one game...killer instinct! I have the killer instinct CD, no functional console! Am a fan boy of this game (played it a lot as a kid and the nostalgia is heart warming for me) Will soon be on vacation for the year and this is ruining my vacation plans *sobs* . Option 1: order a new console, Option 2: chase replacement vigorously, Option 3: wait for the pc port of the game (to arrive in 2016 according to rumours). All these options are not looking so good in view of my vacation plans. Remote Option 4: watch killer instinct game plays on youtube - Another painful option. cry why oh why...

Have u tried to call jumia and explain to them what happened. Yes ur chance if getting a replacement might be very very slim due to the fact that u bought it 8 months ago, but at least it doesn't hurt to try. Explain to them that u haven't opened it for 8 months.

I once bought a ps4 from Konga and on opening it found out it was faulty, it wouldn't go past the blue light, it had the dreaded blue light of death fault. That was a factory defect and no way to fix it than return it. I placed a series of calls and on the 3rd day they asked me to return it to their pick up point. After returning it I couldn't wait for them to replace the console as I already told them I was going to buy another one if I don't get a replacement within 3 days. I bought another ps4 from a store while waiting for Konga to refund me. After about 1 week they refunded my money.
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by Chidexter(m): 11:49am On Aug 17, 2015
spenca:

This can't even be the problem coz of the short time it stays on, no console would be set to auto sleep within seconds not even 5mins , not possible

Okay :\
I was only trying to help
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 1:37pm On Aug 17, 2015
greenhulk:

Have u tried to call jumia and explain to them what happened. Yes ur chance if getting a replacement might be very very slim due to the fact that u bought it 8 months ago, but at least it doesn't hurt to try. Explain to them that u haven't opened it for 8 months.

I once bought a ps4 from Konga and on opening it found out it was faulty, it wouldn't go past the blue light, it had the dreaded blue light of death fault. That was a factory defect and no way to fix it than return it. I placed a series of calls and on the 3rd day they asked me to return it to their pick up point. After returning it I couldn't wait for them to replace the console as I already told them I was going to buy another one if I don't get a replacement within 3 days. I bought another ps4 from a store while waiting for Konga to refund me. After about 1 week they refunded my money.
. That's a good suggestion greenhulk, definately worth exploring. I will hear what they have to say. Thanks, appreciate.
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 1:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Chidexter:

Okay :\
I was only trying to help
. Thanks bro, appreciate your input. Cheers.
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by spenca: 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2015
omodada1111:
. Thanks bro, appreciate your input. Cheers.

8 month is a long time wouldn't fly in a retail store in the UK or London self except it's under warranty ,best option if you can afford another console ,buy it ,look for someone going abroad or if you are going yourself fix it and sell it ,of course not as new but mint .my candid solution . All the best mate .

In other news I have killer instinct on my XB1 but am not a fan so I never played it for 10mins .
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 8:09pm On Aug 17, 2015
spenca:

8 month is a long time wouldn't fly in a retail store in the UK or London self except it's under warranty ,best option if you can afford another console ,buy it ,look for someone going abroad or if you are going yourself fix it and sell it ,of course not as new but mint .my candid solution . All the best mate .

In other news I have killer instinct on my XB1 but am not a fan so I never played it for 10mins .
. Yea, am looking at buying another one myself abroad. Its just the unnecessary duplication of cost that is the ish. Dnt really have a lot of time to play games becos of work (this explains why it took me 8months to unbox it for initial use). Talking about killer instinct, I guess the nostalgia is the source of the motivation to getting it and see what the developers came up with this time (as compared to the game i enjoyed playing in the 90s). I've kinda lost touch with games, new releases etc (no thanks to age). I guess I can also build up a fairly good collection of games in my house (for them visiting nephews) to get busy with. Call of duty black ops 3, Mortal Kombat X, Forza should make the cut. Since you are not a fan boy of K.I., what kind of games are gracing the space on the hard disk of your xb1?
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by spenca: 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2015
omodada1111:
. Yea, am looking at buying another one myself abroad. Its just the unnecessary duplication of cost that is the ish. Dnt really have a lot of time to play games becos of work (this explains why it took me 8months to unbox it for initial use). Talking about killer instinct, I guess the nostalgia is the source of the motivation to getting it and see what the developers came up with this time (as compared to the game i enjoyed playing in the 90s). I've kinda lost touch with games, new releases etc (no thanks to age). I guess I can also build up a fairly good collection of games in my house (for them visiting nephews) to get busy with. Call of duty black ops 3, Mortal Kombat X, Forza should make the cut. Since you are not a fan boy of K.I., what kind of games are gracing the space on the hard disk of your xb1?

I got FIFA just like almost every Nigerian gamer , call of duty AW, Titan fall ,Killer Instinct , and some few demos about to get the crew .
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by omodada1111(m): 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
spenca:

I got FIFA just like almost every Nigerian gamer , call of duty AW, Titan fall ,Killer Instinct , and some few demos about to get the crew .
that's a nice collection right there *thumbs up*
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 18, 2015
Damn it must be frustrating just staring at the new console and not being able to game on it,sorry bro.

Spenca be honest with me though,are you really enjoying your xbone? Be honest
Re: Help!!!!brand New Xbox One Won't Stay Powered On by spenca: 6:11am On Aug 19, 2015
youmour:
Damn it must be frustrating just staring at the new console and not being able to game on it,sorry bro.

Spenca be honest with me though,are you really enjoying your xbone? Be honest

Yea I am ! Except that it could be expensive in Nigeria to own an Xbox due limited persons using the console

(1) (Reply)

Ps3 Slim And Big For Sale And Ps2 / Pls Which Is Best For Playing Gta 5 Is Ps4 Or Pc / How Can I Make My Ps3 Browse.i

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.