Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,539 members, 7,801,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Nigerian Citizenship For An African American - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Citizenship For An African American (5296 Views)

These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You / What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? / Trump To End U.S Citizenship For Children Born In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by NikeeseO91: 7:26am On Aug 17, 2015
Hey everyone out there in Nairaland, I have a question: Can an African American with Nigerian ancestry gain Nigerian citizenship? I traced my ancestry several months ago and discovered my paternal and maternal genetic ancestry traced back to Nigeria. My fathers line being a 100% match for the Hausa ethnic group and my mothers line being a 100% match for Yoruba/Hausa ethnicities. My father is African American and my mother is from Barbados so I already have American/Bajan citizenship. However, due to slavery and all the events that came along with that years ago, all of my family's ties to Nigeria have been severed forcefully. I just want to be the one to re-establish the relationship. Could I be eligible for Nigerian citizenship because of my ancestors?

Thanks in advance guys
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
NikeeseO91:
Hey everyone out there in Nairaland, I have a question: Can an African American with Nigerian ancestry gain Nigerian citizenship? I traced my ancestry several months ago and discovered my paternal and maternal genetic ancestry traced back to Nigeria. My fathers line being a 100% match for the Hausa ethnic group and my mothers line being a 100% match for Yoruba/Hausa ethnicities. My father is African American and my mother is from Barbados so I already have American/Bajan citizenship. However, due to slavery and all the events that came along with that years ago, all of my family's ties to Nigeria have been severed forcefully. I just want to be the one to re-establish the relationship. Could I be eligible for Nigerian citizenship because of my ancestors?

Thanks in advance guys

I think u should
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sure. By the way, Nigerian citizenship is very easy to get.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by tpiander: 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
these "back to America" movement people who are trying to claim Nigerian Americans of Nigerian parentage, are not Nigerian, e ma je ki epe ko mo yin o.

Adura ni kie ma gba fun ara yin.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 17, 2015
Landmark225:
Sure. By the way, Nigerian citizenship is very easy to get.

You think so? You may have to think again. It is actually one of the most difficult to get. You become a Nigerian citizen only when you satisfy one of the following conditions;

- Atleast, one of your parents is a Nigerian citizen.

- You are married to a Nigerian. And this only applies to foreign women married to Nigerian men. Foreign men married to Nigerian women donot qualify.

- You are above 17years old and have stayed in Nigeria for atleast 15 years, is familiar with the languages and customs, of good behavior and plan to remain in Nigeria. And oh, you must renounce your previous citizenship. People in this category donot qualify for dual citizenship.

So, even being born in Nigeria doesn't automatically make one a citizen, except one of his/her parents is one.

OP, I doubt you will qualify. Knowing that your ancestors may be from Nigeria isn't enough for you to become a citizen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by claremont(m): 6:17pm On Aug 17, 2015
@OP: Let's twist the table a bit. If I did the same test, and my genetic make-up shows a large part of my ancestry is traceable to France; am I eligible to claim french citizenship?! No chance of that happening.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
Phema:

You think so? You may have to think again. It is actually one of the most difficult to get. You become a Nigerian citizen only when you satisfy one of the following conditions;

- You are married to a Nigerian. And this only applies to foreign women married to Nigerian men. Foreign men married to Nigerian women donot qualify.

- You are above 17years old and have stayed in Nigeria for atleast 15 years, is familiar with the languages and customs, of good behavior and plan to remain in Nigeria. And oh, you must renounce your previous citizenship. People in this category donot qualify for dual citizenship.

So, even being born in Nigeria doesn't automatically make one a citizen, except one of his/her parents is one.

OP, I doubt you will qualify. Knowing that your ancestors may be from Nigeria isn't enough for you to become a citizen.

please drop all that... I have a Togolese friend who just came into Nigeria not even up to 2yrs but this guy owns a Nigerian passport and a national I.d card... so all those ones u stated above are stories from the gods.. u talking like u ain't a Nigerian and u don't know how things are here...

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 17, 2015
antonreal:

Please drop all that... I have a Togolese friend who just came into Nigeria not even up to 2yrs but this guy owns a Nigerian passport and a national I.d card... so all those ones u stated above are stories from the gods.. u talking like u ain't a Nigerian and u don't know how things are here...

We are talking about legal and constitutional means of becoming a Nigerian citizen.

Whatever means your friend got his is not the standard.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by zeezahbee(f): 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2015
Phema:

We are talking about legal and constitutional means of becoming a Nigerian citizen.

Whatever means your friend got his is not the standard.
With the rate at which people get passport through agent at passport office. I had few contonou friends who have naija passport. One of them dey USA now with naija passport.

The Op can get naija passport easily but the normal standard is now where to be found.

Immigration will just collect money and arrange passport.

Nigeria is In a bad state currently and nothing goes through any standard

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
zeezahbee:
With the rate at which people get passport through agent at passport office. I had few contonou friends who have naija passport. One of them dey USA now with naija passport.

The Op can get naija passport easily but the normal standard is now where to be found.

Abeg help me tell am ooo.. cos it seems to me he is the controller general of immigration... OP if u are ready to collect Nigeria international passport,all u need is come to Nigeria and meet with immigration officers.. full stop

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 17, 2015
zeezahbee:

Way too bad. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by tpiander: 12:51am On Aug 18, 2015
antonreal:

please drop all that... I have a Togolese friend who just came into Nigeria not even up to 2yrs but this guy owns a Nigerian passport and a national I.d card... so all those ones u stated above are stories from the gods.. u talking like u ain't a Nigerian and u don't know how things are here...

Is your togolese friend of nigerian ancestry

In any case, anyone can get a nigerian passport, it does seem.
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by NikeeseO91: 5:19am On Aug 18, 2015
Hey guys,

Thank you for your thoughtful responses! You guys definitely gave me some things to mull over. I did a quick google search and

found this website about Nigeria's Citizenship laws and constitution: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

In chapter III of this document, it lists the qualifications needed for

someone to become eligible for Nigerian citizenship by descent:

"25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-
(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either

of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a

community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of

this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was

born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of

whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen

of Nigeria."

source: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_3

I know legal-speak can be kind of hard to understand but if I'm reading

this correctly then I am actually eligible for citizenship because it says

"or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community

indigenous to Nigeria.
" Perhaps my great great x?? maternal grandmother

and paternal grandfather qualify me for this? Technically they were from an indiginous community in present day Nigeria and were born waaay before the 1960s.

@OP: Let's twist the table a bit. If I did the same test, and my

genetic make-up shows a large part of my ancestry is traceable to France;

am I eligible to claim french citizenship?! No chance of that happening.

Not a chance because France's citizenship laws by descent are more strict

than Nigeria's. At least one of your parents has to be French to qualify

for citizenship, and one's grandparents aren't even considered.

Coincidentally, I do speak french! So I was able to find a nice government

website to verify that info--en français of course. You can use a

translator if you want: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/services-aux-citoyens/etat-civil-et-nationalite-francaise/nationalite-francaise/

Also, I'm assuming you're of African descent so that scenario wouldn't be

plausible because it would assume that a large percentage of your ancestry

would be European in origin. Being African American, odds are that at least 70% of my ancestry is African, so we'd be in the ballpark.The test I took was not an ancestry percentage test either but a maternal & paternal lineage test which traces your genetic makeup back to specific groups of people. Meaning it traced my

father, my grandfather, great grand father, etc back to Nigeria and did

the same with my mother, so that is more like a linear descent directly from nigera going back many years.

these "back to America" movement people who are trying to claim Nigerian Americans of Nigerian parentage, are not Nigerian, e ma je ki epe ko mo yin o.

Adura ni kie ma gba fun ara yin.

Hey tpiander, can you explain this "back to America" movement for me in more detail? I've never heard of it and I'd like to know a bit more about it.

I'm gonna give it a shot. I have the scientific evidence to back me up so I won't be pulling this out of thin air. The best I can do is apply for citizenship, state my case, and let it ride. If it's meant to be it'll be but in any case I'm really grateful to fill in those gaps in my family history and trace it back to Naija.
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 18, 2015
tpiander:

he isn't . in fact he hasn't even been to Nigeria before then. the first week he entered Nigeria was when we met cos a church accommodates him back then as he doesn't have any family or relatives in here.. but today,he owns a Nigerian passport and National I.D.. he is now a Full flesh Citizen just like u and I grin
tpiander:

he isn't . in fact he hasn't even been to Nigeria before then. the first week he entered Nigeria was when we met cos a church accommodates him back then as he doesn't have any family or relatives in here.. but today,he owns a Nigerian passport and National I.D.. he is now a Full flesh Citizen just like u and I ....
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by seangy4konji: 9:52am On Aug 20, 2015
If you are beautiful...I am single and looking for a beautiful woman to marry...

We will make wonderful kids...

How old are you and what makes you happy

FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A PM.
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by SisterCaro(m): 10:05am On Aug 20, 2015
NikeeseO91:

Thanks in advance guys

You have just opened a door for multiple marriage proposals for yourself by making this post cheesy
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by SisterCaro(m): 10:09am On Aug 20, 2015
Phema:

All this na wash i have a Namibian friend who got a Nigerian birth certificate, ID and passport in less than 48hrs. None of her parents are Nigerian and this was her first visit to naija. She got it through her boyfriend and he only got it for her because she wanted not because it had a specific purpose.
Abeg whats difficult there?
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 20, 2015
SisterCaro:

All this na wash i have a Namibian friend who got a Nigerian birth certificate, ID and passport in less than 48hrs. None of her parents are Nigerian and this was her first visit to naija. She got it through her boyfriend and he only got it for her because she wanted not because it had a specific purpose.
Abeg whats difficult there?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by 19naia(m): 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
You need a parent or grand parent who is Nigerian by birth and ancestry. It doesnt matter if you were born in nigeria or not.

Also, The president or top leadership of Nigeria can grant you Citizenship out of their own hospitality and it doesnt always have to include your knowledge of the language and cultures. But it does require your respect for Nigeria (btw-Many born and raised Nigerians try hard to respect nigeria and they fail, not easy).

The immigration and passport issue department is directly under the top leadership of Nigeria and if they grant you a passport in what most people are calling substandard ways, just remember there is a law that allows the top leadership of Nigeria to grant you or anybody a passport. The passport office is working on behalf of the top leadership of the nation and any citizenship they grant, is within their right to do so.
The passport bears the seal of the state of Nigeria under the authority of its highest leadership. That means the highest authority in the matter for Nigeria, granted it to you as they have the right to grant to any one they like.
The only legal matter in the issue is that you use your legal name, date and place of birth,and get an authentic passport from the legal appointed issuer for nigerian passport.

Another way to help your cause is to visit Nigeria and find a local government area willing to officially claim you. If you trace your heritage back to a family in Nigeria, then find that family local government area and petition for a letter from them claiming you as one of their own and granting you identification card. Get a Guarantors form and find a guarantor in the local government area and then go to the Passport office after applying for the passport, and go with enough money to pay the required fees.
If you are not willing to visit Nigeria and do they LGA and guarantor part, then you dont need a Nigerian passport anyway.
Go visit with your US passport with NG tourist/visitor visa and it will all work out unless you come to other senses and realize you never want to try and be in nor of Nigeria again. Plenty born and raised Nigerians who dont want to be in and of Nigeria ever again.
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by NikeeseO91: 12:59pm On Aug 20, 2015
19naia:
You need a parent or grand parent who is Nigerian by birth and ancestry. It doesnt matter if you were born in nigeria or not.

Also, The president or top leadership of Nigeria can grant you Citizenship out of their own hospitality and it doesnt always have to include your knowledge of the language and cultures. But it does require your respect for Nigeria (btw-Many born and raised Nigerians try hard to respect nigeria and they fail, not easy).

The immigration and passport issue department is directly under the top leadership of Nigeria and if they grant you a passport in what most people are calling substandard ways, just remember there is a law that allows the top leadership of Nigeria to grant you or anybody a passport. The passport office is working on behalf of the top leadership of the nation and any citizenship they grant, is within their right to do so.
The passport bears the seal of the state of Nigeria under the authority of its highest leadership. That means the highest authority in the matter for Nigeria, granted it to you as they have the right to grant to any one they like.
The only legal matter in the issue is that you use your legal name, date and place of birth,and get an authentic passport from the legal appointed issuer for nigerian passport.

Another way to help your cause is to visit Nigeria and find a local government area willing to officially claim you. If you trace your heritage back to a family in Nigeria, then find that family local government area and petition for a letter from them claiming you as one of their own and granting you identification card. Get a Guarantors form and find a guarantor in the local government area and then go to the Passport office after applying for the passport, and go with enough money to pay the required fees.
If you are not willing to visit Nigeria and do they LGA and guarantor part, then you dont need a Nigerian passport anyway.
Go visit with your US passport with NG tourist/visitor visa and it will all work out unless you come to other senses and realize you never want to try and be in nor of Nigeria again. Plenty born and raised Nigerians who dont want to be in and of Nigeria ever again.

Naia, good ideas here. I really need to see about tracing my line even further to locate any living family members in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Nobody: 12:03am On Aug 24, 2015
I will serve as a guarantor if need be, getting my LG citizenship is quite easy. I hope this helps
Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by Originalsly: 2:06pm On Aug 24, 2015
As I read it the standard for OP to gain citizenship is that hone of his parents or grandparents had to be a Nigerian citizens. There is no provision for gene trace and all that. But all rules have exceptions and I guess the gene trace evidence can be used to help Immigration make an exception and grant him citizenship.

(1) (Reply)

Canada And/ Australia / Info On Visa Free Countries For Ghana Passport Holders / Advice On How 2 Start A Travel Agency.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.