Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,740 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

NNPC Retires 1000 Staff - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NNPC Retires 1000 Staff (46141 Views)

Nigeria Customs Fires 61 & Retires 16 Officers Over Certificate Forgery / Ecobank sacks 1000+ Staff / Cyril Stober Of Nta Retires From Service At Nta, Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 18, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
1000 dropped to employ 5000 of their relatives and friends

Which human being talks like u?...I bliv u knw. Are dia relatives up to 5000? Mind u, even if dey don't put dia relative, na u go still lousily clamp down on dem for being mean. Haba!
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kay9(m): 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
sevule:

I did read you post from the beginning and I can summarize your arguments in 2 sentences:

1. Why did the MD decide to retire 1000 people from NNPC early?
2. Was due process followed?

And the answers to your argument still remains the same

1. It is the MD's right to terminate appointments if need be. The MD is obviously trying to restructure NNPC and is cutting off deadweight.
2. Due process was definitely followed. You cannot terminate the jobs of a 1000 people without following due process. It is just not possible in the civil service/NNPC

Does this answer your questions/concerns?

Apologies for digging this up again, but I've only just seen your post...

I'll admit, your Answer1 is reasonable enough. The GMD does have that authority, and even new-born babes in Nigeria know that NNPC badly needs pruning. But your Answer2 is HIGHLY debatable - due process done and dusted in under 2 weeks?? And for the sake of argument, termination of appointment without due process DOES happen in civil service/govt-administered firms. 2 Cases in point: the striking doctors in Lagos State who got sacked in 2012, and the lecturers at Rivers State UST sacked by ex-gov. Amaechi.

My point in all this: NNPC needs serious restructuring, but two wrongs don't make a right. I don't agree that retiring someone who still has over 12 months in his contract is fair or legal. As many have said on this very thread, there are LOTS of incompetent and poorly-performing personnel in NNPC; these are the ones who should be properly weeded out, because they are the ones WHO ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS. They are the ones employed based on "man-know-man", totally unqualified and unfit for the positions they occupy. Now if it so happens that some of these ones approaching retirement are also compromised performance-wise (i.e. are incompetent), THEN that would be a FAIR reason for retiring them early. That is the due process which I doubt Mr. Kachikwu has been able to do in less than 2 weeks.

Gerrit?

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by mickey45: 3:17am On Sep 03, 2015
Setaje:

And this is exactly what happened to my dad. Loosing the best because of retrenchment. In my dad's days, retrenchment was by bad belle. The first list were people who have gotten three queries or people who have been caught doing fraudulent activities. The second batch was d worst. As your seniors or people who u denied their family members contract will try and include your name on the list. Some lied on their colleagues. A lot of atrocities have happened in nnpc. But kachikwu should have this in mind. If he last 2 years in that place. Then he is a strong man. In the history of nnpc, there have been only two outsiders. Kachikwu is the second. Usually people that head nnpc are people who were once staffs. In the last 38 years that nnpc was established, they have had about 14 to 15 gmds, meaning that each of them has spent an average of 2 and a half years. one gmd spent 3 months and the first ever gmd spent 5 years. The rest it's usually 2 years, 3 years etc!. Kachikwu does not no how nnpc operates and they will deal wiv him the way they dealt wiv stella oduah in the aviation industry. All this are initial gra gra. The rot in nnpc is crazy. The biggest problem nnpc has is government involvement. The other day, El rufai said a nnpc should be scraped. Ignoramus were saying yes it should. Bla bla bla. I have it on good authority that El rufai said that because his brother was denied a slot to be importing fuel. His brother is not an oil marketer but he wanted to use his influence for his brother and he was refused. Days later he came out to say nnpc should be scrapped.

Any rich and influential man that knows his onus should never venture into Nigerian politics because they will rubbish u the way they have rubbished okonjo. Anybody that wants to run Nigeria effectively must come wiv clean hands. If he thinks he can install his family members there. Everything is being documented. I know nnpc like a plate of rice.

Just knew of a distant uncle who got unlucky to be recently promoted into the "Tower of Babel" recently, the sacking had no known Method...,
No investigation, etc. Nothing... (According to him)

I told someone as far back as last year that we'll spend this next 4 yrs experimenting. Foreign investors will wait till the dust settles in say 2-3 yrs time before any serious FID,

But in a real world; how does a man just wake up and sacks all MmD's without any fact finding?
Imagine the talent pool lost (the uncle has consulted for exxon and other IOCs in N.America for a while before returning to "give back to his country"wink and funny thing is, all of them know the thieves amongst them but , the real thieves often gets spared

This is what the country has turned into. Someone shd pls inform us o! I'm sure of one single trait almost if not all d replacements wld share.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 3:34am On Sep 03, 2015
mickey45:

Just knew of a distant uncle who got unlucky to be recently promoted into the "Tower of Babel" recently, the sacking had no known Method...,
No investigation, etc. Nothing... (According to him)

I told someone as far back as last year that we'll spend this next 4 yrs experimenting. Foreign investors will wait till the dust settles in say 2-3 yrs time before any serious FID,

But in a real world; how does a man just wake up and sacks all MmD's without any fact finding?
Imagine the talent pool lost (the uncle has consulted for exxon and other IOCs in N.America for a while before returning to "give back to his country"wink and funny thing is, all of them know the thieves amongst them but , the real thieves often gets spared

This is what the country has turned into. Someone shd pls inform us o! I'm sure of one single trait almost if not all d replacements wld share.

Bros, thanks for sharing! You just proved my point. Where are all the people claiming that performance appraisals would be used to weed out those that were incompetent? undecided

I said it before, this strategy of going into a parastatal and sacking, retiring or downsizing staff is a fad that has been done by almost every new GMD of NNPC. At the end of the day, it is all motion and no movement. The more things change, the more they stay the same! shocked
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by SomiNJ: 11:10pm On Nov 22, 2019
ADD A PROFESSIONAL M.Sc DEGREE TO YOUR WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE IN THE FLOURISHING PETROLEUM AND ENERGY INDUSTRY.

Do you want to Position yourself for the Profitable Career Opportunities in the Industry?
http://eeiuniport.edu.ng/training/eei2019/

Emerald Energy Institute, UniPort introduces two new professional M.sc Programmes specially designed for workers and consultants in the Oil & Gas and Energy Industry.

-- M.Sc. Petroleum Business Management
Professional Master of Petroleum Economics

-- M.Sc. Energy Business Management
Professional Master of Energy Economics

The lecture schedule is very flexible and our students graduate in record time (6 quarters)

- Lectures are delivered by Industry Experts and Lecturers from the University of Port Harcourt.

- The programme is business-oriented and entrepreneurial in nature

This programme is also open to enthusiasts who want to build and grow a successful career in the Petroleum and Energy Industry.

For more details, requirements and to Apply before the December Deadline Click: http://eeiuniport.edu.ng/training/eei2019/

More Enquiries, Call Dr Israel on 07035587892 Email: admissions@eeiuniport.edu.ng

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Electrician Electrocuted While Working On A Pole In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Molten Iron At An Indian Steel Company In Lagos Kills Many Nigerians Working / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.