Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,954 members, 7,799,239 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy (22047 Views)

Obituary Of Boy Killed After His Father Tried To Avoid Hitting Child On The Road / Graphic Photos From The Accident On Akure Highway / Accident On Akure Highway, Vehicles Burnt (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by olokfor: 1:53pm On Aug 17, 2015
[img]http://1.bp..com/-KLd97uwBIpw/VdGzugj153I/AAAAAAAB70A/ZCXsi6a0UH8/s1600/ak13.png[/img]
www.metronaija.com reader has explained how travellers including him have been left stranded on Akure road via Owena by community members who blocked the highway in protest of the death of a young boy. According to him, he gathered that a commercial driver yesterday knocked down a boy who was part of the community and so community youths and men woke up this morning to block the highway leaving hundreds of travellers stranded on the highway which has resulted into a gridlock. Amazingly some soldiers arrived the scene, carefully removed the road block and continued with their journey without returning peace back on the high way. See his tweets after the cut.
[img]http://1.bp..com/-B_tTw2IeFrE/VdGxqTp5PAI/AAAAAAAB7yk/2J2Lggxu8ao/s1600/AK1.png[/img]
[img]http://3.bp..com/-Vt_xLjGWGv0/VdGxseCrm3I/AAAAAAAB7y0/gJduQ6JZzp0/s1600/AK3.png[/img]
[img]http://4.bp..com/-gRx42MC21wY/VdGyPGRrItI/AAAAAAAB7y8/_V9M5C8CrHA/s1600/AK4.png[/img]
[img]http://4.bp..com/-5ytS1eTaajk/VdGyQofrnbI/AAAAAAAB7zE/puJl5NXNWvo/s1600/AK5.png[/img]
[img]http://4.bp..com/-Ct2xrc1CZwE/VdGzD2w7ulI/AAAAAAAB7zg/fgLWI13DKmg/s1600/ak9.png[/img]
[img]http://1.bp..com/-rANP7lq-dqc/VdGzFTZF4uI/AAAAAAAB7zs/dO5_Q0ZnW4E/s1600/ak11.png[/img]

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/08/photos-community-blocks-akure-highway.html
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Unsad(m): 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2015
This is sad. My sincere condolences.
Akure boys wey stubborn before. But this really is saddening

2 Likes

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by swtchicgurl: 1:56pm On Aug 17, 2015
shocked

God bless nairaland for timely information

4 Likes

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Immanueladebol(m): 1:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
U re talking abt soldiers,wat abt d police,are dy nt meant to restore law n order?

3 Likes

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by parzdor(m): 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2015
W
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by dave2meek(m): 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2015
Rip to the dead...
But blocking the road isn't gonna bring the boy back to life

1 Like

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by admax(m): 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2015
Government specifically the Nigerian Police must be awake to curtail all these acts of civil disobediences rampant nowadays....there are different ways to channel their grievances rather than blocking the road constructed by the Government. They should have held the driver that killed the boy.
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by blessedvisky(m): 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2015
Kai, Akure my hometown. But why sad sad

1 Like

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Neocotez(m): 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2015
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Aristotle96(m): 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by KHAYGOLD(m): 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
What does it have to do with federal road? I don't even understand how some people think and act. I know most of them are member of TAN. #TheSaboteurs.

1 Like

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Remilekun101: 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
angry
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by johnstar(m): 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
All dis jobless yoruba tout dm,

For der mind nw dm don c work

2 Likes

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Sunnycliff(m): 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
Where are policemen that civil cases are been handled by soldiers who ought to protect territorial integrity?

Which way Nigeria?
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
Immanueladebol:
U re talking abt soldiers,wat abt d police,are dy nt meant to restore law n order?

Law and Order doesn't and has never for one second, existed in Nigeria.
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by whirlwind7(m): 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
Hmmm.
Every man is a law into himself in naija.

Is the protest aimed at the discontinued existence of the road, or a demand for drivers to pay a toll fee when passing through the town, or for them to watch their speed while driving through?
Perhaps they should seek permission from the authority to construct speed breaks along that stretch of road, as was done in front of UniBen few weeks ago.

Whatever this protest is aimed at, I bet it won't be achieved. All the townsfolk could achieve with the protest is a temporal disruption of traffic for those unfortunate to be on that road at that time. By tomorrow, commuters on that road won't drive any slower, or be more careful.
The government and the governed are of the same ilk: A law unto themselves. The attitude of the military men who passed through without trying to restore normalcy, tells the story perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by handie(m): 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
In a way, this is totally senseless. Will the grounding of economic activities bring the dead boy back to life? The greatest honor they could do for him is by prevailing on the community head, their representative in both the state and federal legislatures to prevail on the govt to build speed breaks to prevent a re-occurrence and not by going about constituting a nuisance by grounding economic activities and punishing travelers. Funniest part of it all is if their representatives(from councillor to Senator) is passing, they'll hail him and let him pass
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Horlazuncanmi(m): 2:01pm On Aug 17, 2015
All is well
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by rhymesteey(f): 2:01pm On Aug 17, 2015
What about Civil defence officers....
Immanueladebol:
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Perfectwazobia: 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
It is well...reckless drivers killing and bringing sorrow to home. Our drivers need serious orientation it is even possible the driver ran away. Which way Nigeria
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by iyatrustee(f): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
Truth is, a lot of their houses would go if that road is to be expanded.

I hate it when I see villages where houses are built close to roads where commercial drivers ply.

RIP to the little one.
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by kennyman2000(m): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
Hmmm..
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
Does this blockage bring back the dead boy?

Its sad that a life was lost but FERMA has to take steps to be sure that People don't live close to the road.

1 Like

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Immanueladebol(m): 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
VaselineCrew2:

Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Adenugay(m): 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
Hmmm. RIP boy

3 Part-time Writers Needed For A Tech Blog 12,000 Per Month
>>>> https://www.nairaland.com/2532134/3-part-time-writers-needed-tech
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by Immanueladebol(m): 2:04pm On Aug 17, 2015
VaselineCrew2:

mayb in ur hood
Re: Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy by MadCow1: 2:05pm On Aug 17, 2015
All these highway communities need to teach their people about the natural hazards of their community which is the highway.

Also drivers need to learn to slow down when passing these communities. I once witnessed a little boy knocked down by a vehicle on Owerri - onitsha expressway. The driver didn't stop immediately. I saw him speed off to the nearest checkpoint before stopping to report the incident which was the smart thing to do. I don't know how they resolved the issue but it's a regular occurrence on that road and many others like it nationwide.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

InterNations Ranks Nigeria As 3rd Most Dangerous Country To Live In / Anambra International Airport To Commence Flight Operations October 21st: PICS / Fuel Tanker Crashes And Burns In Aba, Properties Destroyed. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.