Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60680 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by rattlesnake(m): 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by alphaconde(m): 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
Yes
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Allwility: 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
My dear, your time will come. Keep trying, keep pressing, keep pushing. There's one more law firm you haven't applied to. Most jobs are not advised on the pages of newspapers or online. Network with friends and senior colleagues. Don't underestimate the power of networking. I hope my story inspires you. I got my second job through a former course mate. She informed me of the opening but warned the interview would be rigorous. Nervous me! I found out one of the panelist was a guy that served in the same town with me. The interview was thorough but then I knew I had my back covered.
Most of all, pray. God will see you through. See you at the top.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
no law made a mistake giving u admission

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Charlesdegaulle: 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dear Op

Your thoughts are perfectly understood. And note that you are not the only one. The truth is everyone goes through the stormy weather, but note that joy is not far away, First, please believe in yourself and your achievements. You may not be where you want to be , but alas, you are far from where you used to be. Have faith, do not give up, expect the best of every situation, and most importantly, always pray.
Prayer has a way of always giving you the courage to try again. It is well

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by FBLJ(m): 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
You made no mistake, you are in a period where instead of complaining, you should discover yourself........ be patient.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by mobileexpert: 2:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
no u ditnt make mistake,but my dear life can be frustrating sometimes,but if you are determine and with pray and faith in God you will get to your desire destination.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Hidentity(m): 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2015

55 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nihilist: 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
To be honest, yes you did
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by purplish(f): 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
I empathize with you dear smiley

Please stop looking for jobs with law firms only. Spread your tentacles. There are many good companies that would take you as a Legal assistant or Corporate governance officer with your 2:1/2:2 combo. Leverage on your other skills too...apply for decent admin/managerial roles.

As much as possible, try to have a positive mindset. This may be God orchestrating your destiny. Law is a launching pad...everybody cannot/should not practice with their law degree. Keep calm and keep believing smiley

5 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by emekatimsu(m): 2:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hello Queenfav, i understand what you are going through. It is quite unfortunate that we found ourself in a country that dont really value things. All the same my advise to you is that you should not just restrict your jOb search to Law related firms. You can still be useful in other sectors of the economy..Banks, oil firms, Government establishments. Afterall they all have legal units.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Try adding plus or science to your application...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Take things easy.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by enitey(f): 2:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
swtchicgurl:
Op, check your profile picture again.

Then pray to God.

Loooool
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by sucess001(m): 2:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

I have gone through this phase before...

However, its not as bad as you paint it. i served in Lagos and earned 25k (later 30k) as a youth corper in 2007. I expect that will be more now.

I worked my way through the dregs including law firms and small companies and now i am here. lets just say now i earn seven digits closer to eight digits) and i feel like i shud be earning more. The most important thing is to focus on enjoying your current state, improving your ability and capacity. recruiters will come for u.

Law jobs aint so hard to get. If this story is yours @OP...then...

Send me ur cv ayo_esq@yahoo.com

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by gagewonda(m): 2:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
op i knw its nt easy bt try nd see hw u can attach ICAN to ur portfolio. i knw some lawyers dat r chartered accountants as well.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SirAweezy(m): 2:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
Sorry but your 1st rule(profile pic) gave you out!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by 400billionman: 2:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
Stop crying.

We didn't make it through crying.. It is tight everywhere.. Lawyers work in banks, university everywhere..

Making it in Nigeria, you must not work where your qualification demands you to.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hmm Op it is well my advice for u is dat Dont stay one place there are jobs that can pay u 70/100k it might not b ur profession but u are still moving .
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ANBAKO: 2:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
My candid advise is this: Nothing good come easy. Do you expect to come out of Law school and start earning millions? Hell no!!!
It is step by step. As someone earlier advised, Check your CV again, keep applying for jobs anywhere they are available, if you have the opportunity, do professional exams/certifications.
Starting with a small law firm is not bad. You gain experience with this while looking for better opportunity.
Also note that a lawyer can also be re-qualify as HR executives, Technical Advisors hence look out for ways to diversify.

Wish you good luck

Do good for good to come your way.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by FavourAngel(f): 2:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister". U knw my dear,life does not treat us all equally,so u have to take ur chances,why not send ur cv one more tym,don't regret d joice dat u have made,its not a gud start,just cool down nd put everything in prayers nd it shall be well

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Patosajad: 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
Read some of the suggestions raised above and select one you think that can best solve your challenges. Most importantly commit all your burdens/endeavours onto the God . He is the unchangeable changer.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Johnnoo(m): 2:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
Discover the talent you got and work towards that...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Eluala(m): 2:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
I think your problem is more of poor mental attitude than lack of jobs. Lawyers are known to be imaginative and creative. You have not convinced me that you possess those qualities. It appears to me your focus while in school was just to pass and have the certificate without taking time to add valuable skills that will be useful for the workplace. In a nutshell, you are not employable, the certificate notwithstanding.

Be more creative. Walk into a firm and offer free services. Do some volunteering. In the process, people will begin to take you seriously while you build practical experience. Look for people who need legal services eg writing of agreements, writing of MoUs or even business plans, identify niche areas where you can connect sellers/vendors with potential buyers and make money on commission. Look for people you can represent to manage their brand/services/goods. Do something to solve someones problem and trust me they will pay for the service happily. You need to stop being negative and complaining. You have what it takes in you so rise up and shine.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by iwriterng(m): 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
My brother studied law and he's broke! So yes! A degree in Law is a total waste of money and time if you don't have the right connection.

But who says you must practice before feeding yourself? Look out for other opportunities and keep the worthless certificate in your wardrobe!

The longer you dwell on the regrets the more depressed you will be, and you might eventually end up not doing anything with your life because you're depressed and resentful.

You might want to read this:
www.oksprout.com/2015/08/5-things-you-will-never-learn-in-school.html (Things You don't learn in school)
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
Op, are you a guy or a girl?..

If you are a girl, locate festus keyamo, bang the hell outta him(I hope you are beautiful) because the guy na oko ashawo.. Whe n he gives you the job, create controversies and confusions that only you can solve, look for one politician to expose, pretend to be good and you will be the most sought after... Abike Dabiri did it, senator Chris Anyanwu that publisher did it, and so can you.

Even I kilode100 did it grin grin grin

Good luck!!

16 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by darlenese(f): 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
I know so many broke ass lawyers, it has to do with ur mindset

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria / The Perfect Resignation Letter / Manager By Day, Sugar Baby At Night: A Week In The Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.