Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60741 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 2:15pm On Sep 24, 2015
Ifediba88:

You no get shame?

No.

4 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Ifediba88: 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2015
RedBenson:

To tear toto and to tear fellow man's anus, which one better pass? Even if i wan tear her toto, she no go follow enjoy am?

No shame whatsoever.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by esthel(f): 1:10pm On Sep 26, 2015
steppin:
Barrister indeed! Op na "Charge and bail" lawyer...LWKMD grin
aren't u just pathetic, she's just serving and afraid of what the future and u're there compounding her woes
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 26, 2015
Please don't lie to yourself, do what you have to do now and stop waiting for your time that may not come! Don't wait for opportunity, create one!!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by princehabyb(m): 11:01am On Sep 27, 2015
well, either being a lawyer is wah you destined to be or not...i've this small but mighty gift for you

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 1:36pm On Sep 27, 2015
For those already turning my thread into an advert board for get rich quick schemes,I'll say 'shove it'!And for the blind ones that missed the part where I said I really want to practice law,please get your eyes checked out.Thanks to those that had useful suggestions..THREAD CLOSED!!!Sayonara...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Bcole: 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
i Think you are a good writer, Try writing opportunities articles stories and the likes visit magazines and newspaper companies..
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 5:28pm On Oct 16, 2015
Bcole:
i Think you are a good writer, Try writing opportunities articles stories and the likes visit magazines and newspaper companies..
lol..thanks sha.I just laughed for the first time since the useless interview.I am however not passionate about anything other than practising my profession.I will look into it though,maybe as a freelance writer.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 6:41pm On Oct 16, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.
U can do refresher courses in arbitration etc. God ll make a way 4 u in Jesus name. I believe u re destined 2 be a star lawyer.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by miceroms: 8:36pm On Oct 16, 2015
I'll advise you to just keep your options open. Do not restrict yourself to law alone. Your training as a lawyer makes you broad-minded and places you ahead of others in terms of reasoning. Wishing you fortunes all the way.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2015
So far,i am yet to get a job.Nairalanders,please if you have links to a job that pays fairly well please help me out here.Its not restricted to law firms.As it stands I am ready to work anywhere, even teaching in a school.I am slowly becoming depressed.Please treat this as very important.Thanks.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Adesiji77: 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
queenfav:
So far,i am yet to get a job.Nairalanders,please if you have links to a job that pays fairly well please help me out here.Its not restricted to law firms.As it stands I am ready to work anywhere, even teaching in a school.I am slowly becoming depressed.Please treat this as very important.Thanks.

But.... embarassed
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
Adesiji77:

But.... embarassed
I am not joking here,don't quote me or reply if you can't be of help.thank you!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Adesiji77: 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2015
queenfav:
I am not joking here,don't quote me or reply if you can't be of help.thank you!

I wasn't joking either...unless you have a "set" salary band in mind, securing employment with a law firm should be easier...my 2 kobo.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by UIA04(f): 8:59pm On Nov 14, 2016
Hi queenfav,
Just saw your thread I'm an aspiring lawyer too but still in uni

I see you are doing well for yourself with your hair business

Wanted to know if you ever got any job in a law firm and how it was
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 11:11pm On Nov 14, 2016
UIA04:
Hi queenfav,
Just saw your thread I'm an aspiring lawyer too but still in uni

I see you are doing well for yourself with your hair business

Wanted to know if you ever got any job in a law firm and how it was
lol,i am working with a big firm,earning better than i thought I would considering the meagre salary most firms pay their lawyers.As for business,i can't complain because the bank alert na kpakam!lol...
Just be focused,you will do well in the profession dear.Above all,the legal profession cannot give you serious money most times,so have another source of income,to augment it.

4 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by legalintern1(m): 11:52pm On Nov 14, 2016
queenfav:
lol,i am working with a big firm,earning better than i thought I would considering the poor pay.As for business,i can't complain.Just be focused,you will do well in the profession dear.Above all,the legal profession cannot give you serious money most times,so have another source of income,to augment it.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by sucess001(m): 8:29am On Nov 15, 2016
legalintern1:

add me on bbm 2B0B3697
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bigerboy200: 4:51pm On Nov 15, 2016
queenfav:
lol,i am working with a big firm,earning better than i thought I would considering the meagre salary most firms pay their lawyers.As for business,i can't complain because the bank alert na kpakam!lol...
Just be focused,you will do well in the profession dear.Above all,the legal profession cannot give you serious money most times,so have another source of income,to augment it.
u such an inspiration.. More power to your elbow, more customers to your bizness..
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 5:00pm On Nov 15, 2016
bigerboy200:

u such an inspiration.. More power to your elbow, more customers to your bizness..
Amen and amen...i am humbled.Thanks for your kind words!

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by maigemuu: 5:06pm On Nov 15, 2016
In this days of financial squeeze and with the drop in oil prices globally, you can leverage on other options other than your paid jobs to earn money from home through a made simple task to get paid.

We are a rapidly growing company of like minded individuals that over past few months has experienced great success through our online marketing system .We are in search of highly motivated individuals that value character,
integrity, and discipline. All applicants will be considered those with and without experience. To be considered please follow instructions below. Good Luck!

We Offer:
*Daily Pay!!
*Residuals
*Complete Training
*Leads provided

What We Need:
*Team Player
*Competitive Edge
*Goal Orientated
*Strong Work Ethic
*Burning Desire to Earn N150,000+ a Month
*Willingness to work from home

PLEASE — SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY-

Would you like to be exposed to a business opportunity that affords you the opportunity of earning residual income daily?
Remuneration is highly attractive and commensurate with best industry standards.
Kindly text, call or chat on whatsapp for updates.

sam: 08096002981
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 5:12pm On Nov 15, 2016
I really have a lot to thank God for..as at the time of this post,i never imagined myself being financially stable within 1 one year..God has been very good to me!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Johnmichael2016: 2:58am On Jun 02, 2017
4. Monarch urges Ambode to enforce apex court judgment

The Oniba of Iba kingdom, Oba Yushau Goriola Oseni and the Oniba Chieftaincy family have urged the Lagos State government to ensure compliance with a Supreme Court judgment on the ownership of their land at Ilemba Awori and Ilemba Hausa communities in Ojo town.

A petition dated April 18, 2017 and sent to Lagos State government through their counsel, Adetunji Orisalade, they urged government not to encourage the conversion of their land by the Elete family, since the state government through its Ministry for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs were defendants in the suit numbers LD/1219/1974, FCA/L/108/79 and SC.24/1983, which was decided in Oniba’s favour by the Supreme Court in 1984.

The petition was titled: ‘Unlawful act of invasion, and forceful occupation of Ilemba Awori town by the Elete family members and attempt to cause breach of peace.’

Orisalade said Iba town received the information that government had granted Elete family an approval for the installation of Elete as an Oba, adding that government also relinquished the two communities’ as territories to the communities.

According to the petition, the said communities traditionally belong to the Oniba of Iba in which he has always installed a traditional ruler (bale) in pursuance of the Oniba’s family ownership right over it. http://www.sskohn.com/practice-areas/corporate-commercial/

He said the Elete family is though landowners among the clusters of communities, but their land is domiciled in the riverine.Orisalade recalled how the Elete family once sued the Oniba of Iba over ownership of the said communities but were repeatedly defeated as the case dragged through the High Court until it was struck out at the Supreme Court in February 27, 1984. dispute resolution
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SmartyPants(m): 4:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

Hey...

You studied law, does not mean your path through law must begin with law. I am sure others in the thread may have said something similar but i'll add to it because i am a law student, soon to face the reality of the profession like you.

I have a job already, that pays my bills, and although it is not in the area of my passion or interest, it does put decent amounts of money in my pocket. So i have the luxury of deciding whether or not i will pursue the study of law as a career or just do it for the fun of it while i make a living from what i have doing that is already working for me.

So my advice, learn another skill. Try other employment opportunities. but never stop trying to get back into law at a level where you can live the life you want.

Remember, there is always more than one way to skin any given cat. I wish you all the best!

Just seeing the date on this!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Teespice(f): 8:38pm On Aug 17, 2017
tolusan,

thank you for sharing that post. reading your opinion has given me the much needed push considering that between yesterday and today, I was having the same thoughts. nobody told me it would be easy, so far, I thank God for the experience I have gained in the last two years.

ps- would you be attending the NBA conference? I would really love for us to meet, if it is okay with you.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 18, 2017
Teespice:
tolusan,

thank you for sharing that post. reading your opinion has given me the much needed push considering that between yesterday and today, I was having the same thoughts. nobody told me it would be easy, so far, I thank God for the experience I have gained in the last two years.

ps- would you be attending the NBA conference? I would really love for us to meet, if it is okay with you.

Hey. I'm so sorry for responding late. I'm glad the comment could push you in a measure. I'll be attending, God willing (I have some issues with my registration). If I do, I'll give you a shout.
Cheers.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by MagnaB: 1:08am On Aug 19, 2017
Mark this words. GOD HAS A PLAN AND PURPOSE FOR YOU. Keep praying.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Teespice(f): 11:27am On Aug 19, 2017
tolusan:

Hey. I'm so sorry for responding late. I'm glad the comment could push you in a measure. I'll be attending, God willing (I have some issues with my registration). If I do, I'll give you a shout.
Cheers.

no wahala. would be in lagos tomorrow.

looking forward to meeting you.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 23, 2017
Teespice:

no wahala. would be in lagos tomorrow.

looking forward to meeting you.
Hey, I
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by jobbers: 8:53am On Aug 23, 2017
yes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria / The Perfect Resignation Letter / Manager By Day, Sugar Baby At Night: A Week In The Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.