Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria (1644 Views)

I Have Never Seen Any Business Like This!!! / The High Value Of The Naira In The Eighties (Picture Proof) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2015
Hello, this is suppose to serve as a wake up call to Nigerians who see obstacles where foreigners see opportunity in their own land in cases where people stuff cash in vaults which is gathering dust. I stumbled on this awhile ago and I couldn't close my mouth.

[size=20pt]Rocket Internet: Building a global empire of brands.[/size]

A couple days back I was on a plane reading about Rocket Internet’s CEO Oliver Samwer who ranked #1 in Wired magazine’s list of 100 biggest tech influencers. I’ve been following the company closely since it’s inception but for those of you that don’t know, Rocket Internet which was founded by the 3 Samwer brothers in 2007 is known for launching and growing global tech companies at an astonishing rate and speed. The company which is estimated to be valued at 4.3 billion euros, operates in more than 100 countries so if you live in Europe, South America or Asia chances are that you are familiar with at least one or two of Rocket’s companies.

One of the things I admire about Rocket is their ability to pick very strong brand names for each startup company and I find it very interesting to see how their portfolio consists of both invented and keyword based company names. The company dives right into the naming process and always launches with the exact match .com and often all the matching ccTLDs for each operating country. As an investor it gives great insight in what type of brandable domain names are sought after by savvy startup incubators and leading tech companies when they roll out new products or services.

Below are a few favorites picks of their current portfolio of companies:

Keyword:

HelloFresh

Funding received: $193.5M in 4 rounds

HelloFresh, a meal planning and shopping platform, sends recipes and the required ingredients for subscribers to prepare them.

FoodPanda

Funding received: $218M in 6 rounds

FoodPanda, a global online food delivery marketplace, enables users to place orders at local restaurants via its website or mobile app.

Helpling

Funding received: $62M in 2 rounds

Helpling is the leading global online marketplace for household services

TravelBird

Funding received: $40.9M in 2 rounds

Online inspiration travel platform

Easy Taxi

Funding received: $77M in 5 rounds

Easy Taxi, a mobile taxi app designed for all major mobile platforms, including iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Firefox OS and Blackberry.

Invented:

Zalora

Funding received: $238M in 4 rounds

ZALORA is an e-commerce platform and website that provides fashion and footwear products.

Lazada (domain purchased from BrandBucket marketplace)

Funding received: $710.4M in 6 rounds

Lazada is an online shopping mall that offers a large selection of world-class brands.

Bonativo

Funding received: None

Bonativo brings you the weekly market home. Buy online the best regional foods and get them delivered right to your door.

Wimdu

Funding received: $90M in 1 rounds

Wimdu is a central platform connecting travelers with private accommodation hosts around the world.

Jumia

Funding received: $211M in 3 rounds

Jumia is an online retailer specialized in electronics, fashion, home appliances, and children’s items.

Source: http://dngeek.com/2015/08/rocket-internet-building-a-global-empire-of-brands/#comment-2477

Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by tobtap: 9:51am On Aug 19, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy ....good
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 11:48am On Aug 19, 2015
Wow Na wao
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 12:01pm On Aug 19, 2015
asha80:
Wow Na wao
you don see am?
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 12:04pm On Aug 19, 2015
2sex:
you don see am?
I think our education trains us to become job seekers than job creators
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 12:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
asha80:
I think our education trains us to become job seekers than job creators
yeah... Maybe but not for people who understand basic principles of money.

I need to upgrade my entrepreneural knowledge... To an advance level.

Money is made when services are rendered. It's that simple. But not easy.

I have an idea but so far people who have the money don't see any good in it... But my friends who don't have the money love the idea so much. Irony.

I will keep pushing because I see a franchise coming to life from it.

Well, I contacted the company in that post after reading this morning. If they decide to hear me out, I will give it a shot.
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 12:22pm On Aug 19, 2015
2sex:

I have an idea but so far people who have the money don't see any good in it... But my friends who don't have the money love the idea so much. Irony.

Well, I contacted the company in that post after reading this morning. If they decide to hear me out, I will give it a shot.
wish you the best
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 12:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
Oh blood of god!

What tot Jumia and Easy Taxi was owned by Nigerians. Most especially that Easy Taxi and link to Late Dr Adedhavo's son.

What have Nigerian's been doing? Gossip websites I guess.

I need to act fast before I see my idea floated online.

Calling my bankers now now!
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 2:02pm On Aug 19, 2015
2sex:

I heard this online store is owned by a Nigerian..from the places the are first opening my hunch tells me the owners might be easterners..they have already lunched in Lagos and I have seen their building in owerri where they are about to open

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/yudala-experience-stores-set-to-create-150-000-jobs/216002/
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 3:20pm On Aug 19, 2015
asha80:
I heard this online store is owned by a Nigerian..from the places the are first opening my hunch tells me the owners might be easterners..they have already lunched in Lagos and I have seen their building in owerri where they are about to open

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/yudala-experience-stores-set-to-create-150-000-jobs/216002/
Yes it is.

YUDALA.COM was registered few months ago and will expire by 2023 or thereabout.

They mean business and everyone is cashing in on the ecommerce revolution in Nigeria... Nigeria and the bandwagon mentality is just pathetic.

Where were they before Jumia, Konga and Keymu started.

We always wait for someone to start before we know what to do.

What happened to pure water business is about to repeat itself.

I wish them well... At least we can boast of a Nigerian own ecommerce business at last.
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 3:24pm On Aug 19, 2015
2sex:
Yes it is.

YUDALA.COM was registered few months ago and will expire by 2023 or thereabout.

They mean business and everyone is cashing in on the ecommerce revolution in Nigeria... Nigeria and the bandwagon mentality is just pathetic.

Where were they before Jumia, Konga and Keymu started.

We always wait for someone to start before we know what to do.

What happened to pure water business is about to repeat itself.

I wish them well... At least we can boast of a Nigerian own ecommerce business at last.
what do you mean expire by 2023?
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
asha80:
what do you mean expire by 2023?
when you want to setup a website, you have acquire what we call domain name. A domain name is Nairaland.com. You just like you pay house rent yearly. You pay your rent to expire by 2023. When it's 2023, you will have to renew it again.

So Yudala.com was acquired and the house rent on it will expire by 2023

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by asha80(m): 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2015
2sex:
when you want to setup a website, you have acquire what we call domain name. A domain name is Nairaland.com. You just like you pay house rent yearly. You pay your rent to expire by 2023. When it's 2023, you will have to renew it again.

So Yudala.com was acquired and the house rent on it will expire by 2023
ok was kinda confused.it seems you are into IT
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2015
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by Pavore9: 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
Nigeria is a very huge market but it seems foreigners recognize this more than us! angry
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 4:21pm On Aug 19, 2015
Pavore9:
Nigeria is a very huge market but it seems foreigners recognize this more than us! angry
my brother, the blindness of Nigeria is beyond me. The only thing we are good at is to copy what is already working but to do what no one has tested is zero.

After Akin Alabi has started Betting business in Nigeria, others decided to jump in... Yet we had people travelling to western world.

When you propose a new market, Nigerians are scared of jumping in cos they haven't seen anyone doing it.
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by kennedy67(m): 4:47pm On Aug 19, 2015
Cool
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2015
AFOLSNETWORKS:
Oh blood of god!

What tot Jumia and Easy Taxi was owned by Nigerians. Most especially that Easy Taxi and link to Late Dr Adedhavo's son.

What have Nigerian's been doing? Gossip websites I guess.

I need to act fast before I see my idea floated online.

Calling my bankers now now!
lol..
Re: Have You Seen Any Of These Brand? Proof That Foreigners Are Taking Over Nigeria by 2sex(m): 4:41pm On Aug 21, 2015
Anyone here?

(1) (Reply)

(full Money Recovered) / Earn Up To 5000 Naira Daily. / Easy Methods On How To Raise Rabbits For Profit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.