Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,280 members, 7,807,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today (3348 Views)

Night View Of The Ayade Industrial Park In Calabar (Beautiful Photos) / At Ikoyi Passport Office, Old Things Pass Away As Facility Leaves Applicants / My Funny Experience At Passport Office In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by obiscolly(m): 12:49pm On Aug 20, 2015
What's it with this country and corruption? It's just really pathetic. I made an application to get a Nigerian passport and paid N17,000 online. According to the directive on the site, i was to proceed to the NIS passport office today in Calabar for my interview with some documents. I made arrangements and went with all required document this morning. I met an immigration officer there on uniform who said i wasn't supposed to submit the documents on the same day of my interview. He said i was meant to submit the documents earlier, then it would be reviewed before an interview date would be fixed for me. I told him the information i got on the website was to proceed to the passport office with my documents on the day of the interview which is today and i have friends that followed the same procedure to get theirs. What really got my upset was when he mentioned that i'll have to pay N5,000 for 'administrative fee'. I told him i wouldn't pay that as it wasn't mentioned on their website when i applied. When I insisted on seeing his boss to ask him about the fee, he just changed the topic and said it wasn't necessary. He collected my documents and filed it, and said i'll be invited for the interview. I later got to know from their security guard that they fix particular days to invite people to capture their data but he refused to comment on the said 'administrative fee'.

May God help this country angry
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:51pm On Aug 20, 2015
No b 2day tin nah, etaf tey..
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by ojun50(m): 12:57pm On Aug 20, 2015
In this country were ever u going jst keeping holding money for third party
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by obiscolly(m): 1:34pm On Aug 20, 2015
The annoying thing is that Nigerians know the due procedure, but go ahead to just pay and later we complain about corruption, when we play a part in encouraging it. I decided that at the worst, I would get in touch with their Abuja office, because i knew he clearly wanted to rip me off. Nigerians must play a part in the fight against corruption. This is not just a fight for PMB. He can't curb corruption to the grassroot because gone are the days of the military's 'War Against Indiscipline'. It's almost going to be impossible without the help of Nigerians playing their part.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2015
Well done obiscolly.

Lets start with us.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by otokx(m): 6:55pm On Aug 20, 2015
keep us updated on the concluding part of the drama.
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by obiscolly(m): 8:47pm On Aug 20, 2015
otokx:
keep us updated on the concluding part of the drama.
sure i will.
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by kkokoma: 5:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
@ OP, don't hold your breathe waiting for an interview invite. E go tay!
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 21, 2015
Nice one op.
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by seangy4konji: 2:58pm On Aug 26, 2015
@op...Have you been called for the interview yet?
Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by obiscolly(m): 7:11am On Sep 11, 2015
Sorry guys for not updating the thread earlier. I've been really busy with work. So, fast-forward to one week after I submitted my documents, still no call. Well, I wasn't bothered because even if I got a call, work wouldn't let me go. In the second week, still nothing, this week made it the third week and luckily I was on break from work, so I decided to pay them a visit at immigration office. Immediately i saw the officer with my documents, he recognised and called me by name..lol. It seems my file had been with him too that long that the name stuck in his head. Without wasting anytime he directed me to a lady who reviewed my file and asked me some questions. The lady also tried to convince me to pay some more cash with the excuse that they run the office with diesel and all, and that they don't rely on what the FG allocates to run the place. She also said paying would make me collect it earlier than the official collection date, but I told her I wasn't in a haste, so they could take their time. After the interview, I was taken to the data capturing room where I did my biometrics and the page that was printed said my collection date is on the 18th (next friday). I believe if I had gone the next week without invitation, i would have still done my biometrics and would have gotten it by now.
Apparently, the story of submitting your documents before being called for the interview was false because people who paid cash there (about 25k) had their biometrics taken same day. The officer probably wanted to frustrate me for applying online, but he got the wrong guy. I came very early on the day I submitted my documents that's why I was able to buy that story because the office wasn't busy yet. If I noticed people paying and taking their biometrics same day, I would have challenged them openly.

From this experience i think the problem with most Nigerians is impatience and that's why people don't want to follow due process and these officials take advantage of this. My friend said he did his own at the same office at 24k and got it the next day, even though he didn't need it urgently.

I will update y'all when I collect it hopefully next week. I'm not sure if work will give me the opportunity on that day though, but as soon as I get it you will know.

Thanks for listening smiley

5 Likes

Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by obiscolly(m): 4:44pm On Sep 18, 2015
After much said and done I finally collected my passport this afternoon with no extra dime paid. #sayNoToCorruption

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by sholay2011(m): 5:20pm On Sep 18, 2015
obiscolly:
After much said and done I finally collected my passport this afternoon with no extra dime paid. #sayNoToCorruption
Thumbs up bro.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by aspirebig: 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2015
Nice one

1 Like

Re: My Experience At NIS Passport Office In Calabar Today by suremanpatriot: 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2017
Remarkable Nigerian

(1) (Reply)

I Have A Sponsor, How Do I Relocate To USA Or Canada? (URGENT) / An Old Nigeria Airways Ticket plus old 5 Naira note / Flight ticket cost to US,CT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.