Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,779 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities (31749 Views)

JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Why Females Prefer Colleges Of Education, Polytechnics – Stakeholders / JAMB Withdraws 2016 Admission Lists Sent To Universities, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Ayyomrond(m): 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2015
motunolani02:
We AFUED students believe its just a rumour

IT IS INDEED.AFUED HAS COME TO STAY.NOTHING CAN CHANGE IT.NOT EVEN BUHARI.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 22, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I do not know about that....but I daresay that it is going to be difficult finding money for all the universities run by government....because of falling oil prices...

And even before the oil prices fell.....govt in 2013 was telling ASUU that the N3 trillion promised in 2009 was no longer possible. Instead....it was now N1 trillion over 5 years. So far....only N200bn has been paid....the rest of the money is definitely not coming.

Whoever is going to be PMB's Education Minster is going to increase fees....and maybe close some schools down. Not because of hate...but because we do not have the money.And we never really did. Honestly....what pains me is past administrations (not just GEJ....even the Army and OBJ..) establishing universities with no thot for upkeep.
What then does Buhari intend to do with the ongoing recovered loot, amounting to trillion of dollars? Does he intend to re-loot them?

Meanwhile, many of those affected voted for change, which they have now gotten

3 Likes

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by discusant: 4:50pm On Aug 22, 2015
Haba, most pained here must be one Engineer Iwuanyanwu from the east who loves a collection of universities only in his home town.

He told Jonathan to make Ikoku College - a third university in his home town - in order that he would mobilize votes for Jonathan.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by espn(m): 4:51pm On Aug 22, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I have some questions for all of you.

1.Do you have the extra trillions of naira needed to upgrade the colleges of education to universities.?

2.Do you have the manpower needed for the newly upgraded universities? When we do not have enough lecturers for the original ones...talk-less of the private unis, or the new ones GEJ established?

3.Have you forgotten that the price of oil has dropped....and as such we have to cut our coats according to size?

Look.....education in Nigeria has serious funding problems. And unless we have the extra cash.....and the extra manpower....especially lecturers.....we cannot proceed with upgrading....or even establish new universities.

That is the problem....and even if GEJ was in charge...he probably would have reversed the decisions too.

So.....do you have any alternative idea? Must we establish schools and universities that we cannot cater for in the long term? Or would you chaps willingly pay school fees of up to N400000-500000 just so that these new universities you like can be properly funded?

Some of you Nigerians.....you like awoof....but you do not consider where the awoof is gonna come from. PDP and APC both.

simply ask them how well have we managed the universities we have..and how well equipped are the graduates been flushed out every year. So many dull people on NL. They rush here to show their dismay for GMB and as well their level of ignorance. I hope the number of people that would die from living with the fact that GMB is the president would out number that of natural causes before the end of his tenure.#maybe 8yrs# wink

1 Like

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Ofeakwu(m): 4:51pm On Aug 22, 2015
Mogidi:
This olodo man is confused, someone should wake me up when Bubu knows what he's doing.
I hate to say this but we would be better served with Prof. Yeye Osibanjo, God please answer our prayers like you did in 2003, 2007 and 2011, please God forgive us our sins, God please do something.
The ineptness can't continue, we approach, headlong into the abyss.

Hahahahaha Hahahahaha, Buh bro u dey vexxxxxxxx wella so u wan make d man do like that!

1 Like

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by wiseguy(m): 4:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
This is a welcome development. Every higher institution must not be a University. We know what the problem is and should address the major issue. Its not just to have that self satisfaction that a CoE have been changed to a University only in name but not in substance. We are complaining that we have glorified secondary schools in the name of University in Nigeria and we want to compound the problem further. CoEs like the Polytechnics are specialized higher institutions and should be left as such. Anybody that wants to go to University should go to University and anyone who wants to go to a CoE or Polytechnic should do so. I think the problem lies in making this false distinction that have been made over the years by employers of labour. Anybody who is trained in CoE should know he or she went to a specialized higher institution and there is no question about where to look for job. But we are in a society where an Engineer is counting money in a Bank.

3 Likes

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by tete7000(m): 4:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
I applaud this Federal Government's decision.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:02pm On Aug 22, 2015
brixton:
Bubu is an EP (enemy of progress). He's reversing his predecessor' giant strides and at the same time pushing the nation back. We need even more univ to stop the mass exodus of Nigerians to foreign countries for academic tourism
If all the colleges of education are upgraded to universities to stem the tide of Nigerians going abroad to acquire university education, where would teachers of primary and secondary schools be trained?
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 22, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

What then does Buhari intend to do with the ongoing recovered loot, amounting to trillion of dollars? Does he intend to re-loot them?

Even if Buhari recovers all the loot...is it only on universities he will spend it on?

The unfortunate truth is that the only way to deal with funding shortfalls in our unis is by raising the fees. Unless...you have the money.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by wiseoneking: 5:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
bushdoc9919:

1.Do you have the extra trillions of naira needed to upgrade the colleges of education to universities.?

2.Do you have the manpower needed for the newly upgraded universities? When we do not have enough lecturers for the original ones...talk-less of the private unis, or the new ones GEJ established?

3.Have you forgotten that the price of oil has dropped....and as such we have to cut our coats according to size?

Look.....education in Nigeria has serious funding problems. And unless we have the extra cash.....and the extra manpower....especially lecturers.....we cannot proceed with upgrading....or even establish new universities.

That is the problem....and even if GEJ was in charge...he probably would have reversed the decisions too.

So.....do you have any alternative idea? Must we establish schools and universities that we cannot cater for in the long term? Or would you chaps willingly pay school fees of up to N400000-500000 just so that these new universities you like can be properly funded?

Some of you Nigerians.....you like awoof....but you do not consider where the awoof is gonna come from. PDP and APC both.

You dont have a simple reasonable explaination to defend Buh for this gross misconduct. RUBBISH. Do you know what trillions of naira means?. The most expensive private school in Nigeria is just in the neigbourhood of 8 billion like ABAUD with all its first class standard. Making this colleges of educ universities will result in the teachers upgrading themselves to masters and PHD. At least i know that college of education Nsugbe in Anambra state still has Masters and PHD holders full there. The provost is a Prof. You are shouting as if Universities in Nigeria is another haven. I just want to say that Buh is wrong in this instance. Mind you i studied in two great Universities in the Nigeria and planning in the third one, so dont think is because i am a graduate of col of educ.

2 Likes

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by shigoslim(m): 5:06pm On Aug 22, 2015
obayaya:
They were upgraded to Universities of Education.. which is a specialized institution for teachers' training like the colleges of Education albeit a more developed curriculum.

I don't see the point in this reversal

bros GOD BLESS your reason many Nigerian don't use their brain. you share my view.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by billyG(m): 5:09pm On Aug 22, 2015
College of edu are estabshd 2 train teachers why do they wanna be uni?
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by brixton: 5:10pm On Aug 22, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

If all the colleges of education are upgraded to universities to stem the tide of Nigerians going abroad to acquire university education, where would teachers of primary and secondary schools be trained?

What happens to Bubu building new colleges of Education? Abi land no de Naija again?
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by olas24u(f): 5:12pm On Aug 22, 2015
brixton:
Bubu is an EP (enemy of progress). He's reversing his predecessor' giant strides and at the same time pushing the nation back. We need even more univ to stop the mass exodus of Nigerians to foreign countries for academic tourism

People that attend the schools are professional teachers and should be given respect.Nigeria is a developing country and needs all types of skills .
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by tonimenia: 5:15pm On Aug 22, 2015
This is not good, i must say!
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 22, 2015
wiseoneking:
You dont have a simple reasonable explaination to defend Buh for this gross misconduct. RUBBISH.

I do....and it is from your hero GEJ.

In 2009....Yaradua signed an agreement with ASUU. N3trillion over next four years.

In 2013...GEJ told the lecturers the truth. The money was not there.

And this is before 2014...when oil prices dropped.

Unless you can convince the Saudis to raise oil prices......sorry.

Do you know what trillions of naira means?. The most expensive private school in Nigeria is just in the neigbourhood of 8 billion like ABAUD with all its first class standard

And it does not offer the full range of courses that a typical Federal University offers.....and the students pay high fees.

Making this colleges of educ universities will result in the teachers upgrading themselves to masters and PHD

Which many of them do via our already existing universities....full time and part time.

At least i know that college of education Nsugbe in Anambra state still has Masters and PHD holders full there. The provost is a Prof.

Irrelevant to this discussion.

You are shouting as if Universities in Nigeria is another haven

I am telling you that we do not have enough money to fund universities sufficiently to world class. (FYI.....it costs $100million per annum to fund a university properly. Nigerian unis get less than one tenth of that. That is why we cannot do proper research into, eg Ebola).

I just want to say that Buh is wrong in this instance

He is just cost-cutting....something which even GEJ would have done if he won....because right now oil prices are at $50 per barrel. For Nigeria to meet its financial obligaitons with no issues....we need it to be $130 per barrel. And even if we recovered all the loot....which is going to take time because 1)Paperwork 2)Most Nigerians do not like their kinsmen to be prosecuted for corruption.....it still will not be enough.

. Mind you i studied in two great Universities in the Nigeria and planning in the third one, so don't think is because i am a graduate of col of educ.

I did not assume so....and I in fact hold college and poly and technical school grads in high esteem, and think we need more of them.

The problem is funding. And this is not a political thing....I foresee PDP doing the same if they won...either by closing/reversing upgrade decisions.....or by raising fees.

Nigerian education is in a funding and manpower crisis. We need to face that fact.I am not married...and I am seriously considering putting money aside for university fees for my kids....because fees are going to jump up. You should too.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:15pm On Aug 22, 2015
brixton:

What happens to Bubu building new colleges of Education? Abi land no de Naija again?
What would have happened if Jonathan had left the colleges of eduction and build more universities if truely he wanted to create room for admissions into universities?
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by brixton: 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

What would have happened if Jonathan had left the colleges of eduction and build more universities if truely he wanted to create room for admissions into universities?

Are we supposed to think backward or forward? Bubu is d current president, all we are saying is for him to do more rather than retrogress past gains
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2015
Ayyomrond:

IT IS INDEED.AFUED HAS COME TO STAY.NOTHING CAN CHANGE IT.NOT EVEN BUHARI.
ACE, Ondo awards degrees as an affiliate of OAU, Ile-Ife. It is most of those that do NCE programmes that will be saying what you are now saying.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by betty202020(m): 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2015
ureach:
It's funny how some nonentities from God-knows-where sit in their houses and open their Shit holes to insult the presidency...

It's disrespectful...
and what good thing has come out of ur nonentity illiterate of a president if not retrogressive and political witch hunting policies? Let him as well turn all almajiri school to animal farm as quality education is haram to him. An illitrate that knows nothing than political vendetta who sees nothing good from previous government. He change office of the first lady to office of wife of the president and apc idiats did not see anything bad in it.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by mechanics(m): 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2015
yatch360:
Colleh babes dey vex o... Thinking they where to be Uni babes

Yatch 360
hahahaha
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by dabossman(m): 5:31pm On Aug 22, 2015
obayaya:
They were upgraded to Universities of Education.. which is a specialized institution for teachers' training like the colleges of Education albeit a more developed curriculum.

I don't see the point in this reversal

Let's be honest with ourselves; it was nothing more than a change of nomenclature; and you don't need that to improve curriculum. The real problem is our warped and unfair disregard for polytechnic and college of education qualifications. We need to give them the respect they deserve in society and stop making it seem like they are inferior.

1 Like

Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:34pm On Aug 22, 2015
brixton:

Are we supposed to think backward or forward? Bubu is d current president, all we are saying is for him to do more rather than retrogress past gains
What gain, the one Jonathan effected after he lost an election?
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by okonkwo44: 5:44pm On Aug 22, 2015
[quote author=bushdoc9919 post=37223559]

Oga the previous govt had plans and vision b4 making that policy,they knew how to go about the funding. Leaving those schools in their previous forms wouldn't give chance for upgrades. The major problem of Nigeria is unstable policy. America is what it is now because any incoming president makes use of the road map that was designed during the formation of the country,the nationa already have solid foundation,which makes governance over there easier. Buhari would only make Nigeria more miserable if he doest continue the positive policies left behind by the past administration.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by brixton: 5:49pm On Aug 22, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

What gain, the one Jonathan effected after he lost an election?

You re beginning to derail...
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by okonkwo44: 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
alsudaes1:

They are ignorant, don't blame them but pity them

there are so many bottlenecks in upgrading a college of Education to a University,
to those blaming the FG on this reversal, I'll refer them to make enquiry on the first case scenario I.e TASCE and TASUED.
I think the upgrade is ok. In advanced countries only few universities offer multiple courses. What they have is university of engineering, university of law, university of health sciences, university of agriculture, university of business administration etc. And in Nigeria we now have university of education,these system would go a long way to pave way for diff acaedemical fields to be efficient. Thank you
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2015
okonkwo44:
Oga the previous govt had plans and vision b4 making that policy,they knew how to go about the funding. Leaving those schools in their previous forms wouldn't give chance for upgrades.

No. The previous govt did not have enough funds for education as a whole. Or why did they reduce the N3trillion promised to ASUU for university funding in 2009 to N1trillion in instalments of N200bn over 5 years in 2013....and why have they not paid the 2015 installment before leaving.?

Let's face it....there is no money. Whoever advised the upgrade was sorely mistaken.

(Unless you want to pay fees as high as N500000 - N1million per annum).

The major problem of Nigeria is unstable policy. America is what it is now because any incoming president makes use of the road map that was designed during the formation of the country,the nationa already have solid foundation,which makes governance over there easier.

American education is not funded by the State. Most of the funding is private....and is also from the pocket of the student(or the parents thereof). And fees are sky high.....average unis in the US pay $20000 per semester. Some of the more prestigious pay much higher (Duke for instance has fees of $58000). And most of those fees are paid for by loans.....

Also...the US is a diversified economy.....more on that later....

Buhari would only make Nigeria more miserable if he doest continue the positive policies left behind by the past administration.

Well the cold fact is that we are not a rich nation. We do not have enough money, and we are oil dependent. And right now...the oil prices have dropped. Am sorry....but we have to cut costs.....and the same thing would have happened if PDP was still around.

If you want enough money for all the universities in the world....we must diversify away from oil into an industrial economy. And for now...the road lies through austerity.....which is why I am waiting to see what Buhari has in store for us economically...are we going to diversify, or are we going to run the same old Dutch diseased economy we have been running since independence. (And he is taking a long time about it!).
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Ajih4us: 5:55pm On Aug 22, 2015
[quote author=juliusjulius post=37223622]Hmmm

It is well
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Stangeneral(m): 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2015
thekingsmen:
Buhari is an enemy of progress....

why is he trying so hard to rubbish the achievements of his predecessor

Does he think Nigeria is his private estate where out of vengeance and retribution he can dish out orders and decrees without recourse to how it may affect the masses.. for Heaven sake the colleges of education were just upgraded to universities of education and still cater to the grooming of teachers and other teaching oriented professions, y the reversal.. Y not equip the said universities, is government no longer a going concern??

Ordinarily, there shoudn't be any diffference in the quality of education one must receive at any of this institutions be it universities, polytechnics or colleges of education. Whatever status they bear must not limit their proper equipment and structuring to meet standard educational needs..

However, in the context of the Nigeria educational structure and systems, with the ever present discrimination meted out to students from polytechnics and colleges of educations, there needs to be some adjustments, and i think this was what prompted the decision to the upgrade of this institutions to universities...

also this institutions; Alvan for example have being running affiliated programs with other universities(UNN in the case of Alvan) for many years now and already have the structures in place for upgrades.. so the policy reversal with all its political undertones is totally wrong.

If he goes ahead with this, i hope he also reverts the other universities established mostly in the north during the past administration

Nigeria ntorrrr

is kano and zaira in d south?lets stop making issue where there is none
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 22, 2015
dabossman:

Let's be honest with ourselves; it was nothing more than a change of nomenclature; and you don't need that to improve curriculum. The real problem is our warped and unfair disregard for polytechnic and college of education qualifications. We need to give them the respect they deserve in society and stop making it seem like they are inferior.

Exactly.

Infact what annoys me is the way we look down on technical college grads. Those are the kind of guys who build your economy in developed nations....not the self satisfied university badged clerks we turn out.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by tundemogba12(m): 6:06pm On Aug 22, 2015
By upgrading you are indirectly killing the Colleges of Education. Its a wise move by Mr President.
Re: FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities by bismick(f): 6:11pm On Aug 22, 2015
superior1:
Wise decision, those schools aren't equipped enough to be labelled Universities
adeyemi college of education is well equipped than some universities we v today!pls take ur time and compare

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Promise Mmadubuobu Bags First Class Honours In The Nigeria Law School / Teacher Flogs 1-Year-Old Boy In Lagos / Dr Olumuyiwa Igbalajobi Asks Canadian University To Stop IELTS In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.