Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,917 members, 7,802,982 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (8834 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Nigerian Scams Is it Part Of Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 10:27pm On Apr 01, 2009
SeanT21:

I grew up in the city so I will not know about these various cultural ways.Liberians that grew up in the city have no idea about these things because culture ways are not known or practice in the cities only in the interior aka the village.Cultural ways or tribes are not taken seriously in the cities.If you asked that question to a village gal she will have the answer.If you ask the same question to a gal from the city she will have no idea.Plus,I did not even know my tribe until last year so I wont know about cultural ways that they are known for.

I grew up mostly outside Nigeria and know about my culture. . .

anyway, the parents dont mention certain traditions that seem weird?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by biina: 11:16pm On Apr 01, 2009
@topic
Nothing!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ollybosieb: 12:13am On Apr 02, 2009
i love the prosrating and kneeling in yoruba culture cuz das a sign of respect,i've been living in the usa for the past 20yrs and iam still kneel down for my elders in public ,anywhere and am proud to be teaching my 5yr old son to be doing the same for his elder. Is one culture i don't want to see abolish in my culture.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 02, 2009
ollybosieb:

i love the prosrating and kneeling in yoruba culture cuz das a sign of respect,i've been living in the usa for the past 20yrs and iam [b]still kneel down for my elders in public ,anywhere and am proud to be teaching my 5yr old son to be doing the same for his elder. [/b]Is one culture i don't want to see abolish in my culture.
As if you have any choice.
Nigerians abroad [b]expects [/b]you to prostrate to them.

@bolded part.
awwww, that's cute.

@post
Thinking everything is caused by witches or "satan". (superstitions)
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Moyola(f): 1:25am On Apr 02, 2009
ollybosieb:

i love the prosrating and kneeling in yoruba culture cuz das a sign of respect,i've been living in the usa for the past 20yrs and i am still kneel down for my elders in public ,anywhere and am proud to be teaching my 5yr old son to be doing the same for his elder. Is one culture i don't want to see abolish in my culture.

Same here! guud gurl arent I?! grin tongue
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by SeanT21(f): 1:34am On Apr 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

I grew up mostly outside Nigeria and know about my culture. . .

anyway, the parents dont mention certain traditions that seem weird?

NOT REALLY~~~Unless your parents are from the village then they will explain the different traditions.Most Liberians living in the city could care less about cultural and traditional ways.They do what they want to do.Like I stated before,I did not even know what tribe I was till last year.Tribes,traditions,etc do not seem important to the ordinary Liberian.That is just how it is.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Lamidiobi1: 3:05am On Apr 02, 2009
yoruba culture of defeacating while cooking ewedu.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 3:29am On Apr 02, 2009
Only in the ewedu they make for you and your wretched family wink
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 3:39am On Apr 02, 2009
SeanT21:

NOT REALLY~~~Unless your parents are from the village then they will explain the different traditions.Most Liberians living in the city could care less about cultural and traditional ways.They do what they want to do.Like I stated before[b],I did not even know what tribe I was till last year[/b].Tribes,traditions,etc do not seem important to the ordinary Liberian.That is just how it is.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

at least you could mention the current culture of letting foreigners run virtually everything in your country
The total disorganization of schools , lawlessness  and abject poverty after the civil war which is still ongoing
The class distinction between the minority slave settlers from America (who regard themselves as superior) and the majority indegenious population such that many claim to be from the "slave settling lineage" rather than indigenous.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by DeReloaded: 3:48am On Apr 02, 2009
lol but that's only for the villagers to know apparently
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by osisi2(f): 3:53am On Apr 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

lol but that's only for the villagers to know apparently

I know someone who was there recently.
He said the hotel where they stayed at had guards with machine guns and they went around with mobile police armed to the teeth and he thought the guns may accidentally discharge and shoot him.
Chinese had invaded the place and bought up every available piece of land and built high fences around them.
Only a small minority of the citizens have gone back to school and the place still has an atmosphere of death.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Hauwa1: 4:00am On Apr 02, 2009
i hope SeanT is leaning her ears and reading. at least one or two things to learn. see she was yabbing on food section sef  grin
Sean maybe the villagers do eat somethings you don't know lipsrsealed grin
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by SeanT21(f): 4:11am On Apr 02, 2009
Hahah~`Yall are crazy!!

**osisi:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

at least you could mention the current culture of letting foreigners run virtually everything in your country
The total disorganization of schools , lawlessness and abject poverty after the civil war which is still ongoing
The class distinction between the minority slave settlers from America (who regard themselves as superior) and the majority indegenious population such that many claim to be from the "slave settling lineage" rather than indigenous.

Those are not cultural or traditional ways.I left Liberia when I was 13 but I do catch up on my country news from allafrica.com.I did read a thing or 2 about the Chinese building railroads,etc.All I want is for Liberia to get better and since the civil war things have been improving. wink
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Gabry(f): 4:52am On Apr 02, 2009
My culture? Hmmmm. . . .

I hate it when the feamles are more superior than the males. . . angry
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by SeanT21(f): 5:13am On Apr 02, 2009
gabrywyl:

My culture? Hmmmm. . . .

I hate it when the feamles are more superior than the males. . . angry

What embarassed
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Em2va: 7:10am On Apr 02, 2009
Injustice against the female gender. I think that has been the most annoying and loathing part of it.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by sammyjl(f): 8:27am On Apr 02, 2009
Thank goodness m not into that whole cultural nonsense, especially if its stupid I live and work in the city and its city life for me thank heavens
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 8:29am On Apr 02, 2009
Thank goodness m not into that whole cultural nonsense, especially if its stupid I live and work in the city and its city life for me thank heavens
Don't they have culture in the city you live in?. How do they communicate in that city?. All these city gals sef. cry cry
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ohaechesi(m): 9:03am On Apr 02, 2009
na today, where do you want to start from in your castigation of cultures? Everything is wrong in all the ethic groups in terms of culture and even the gerontocracy instilled in the nation as its culture.lol
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by otukpo(f): 9:07am On Apr 02, 2009
People shld desist from saying what they dont know.

There is no igbo culture that says a woman whose husband is dead should be married to the husband's brother.

Except u dont know what culture is. Even in the olden days that some pple did it, they did it by choice not that the culture forced her to do so.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by sojioguns(m): 9:17am On Apr 02, 2009
IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE. That is what I hate most about every Nigerian culture.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 02, 2009
I hate the fact that i have to prostrate to greet,

it can be hell if u have to do that on the road.
and i hate it when ppl bend their empty head to greet me.
They dont even do that to God who created them
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by toosoon(m): 10:31am On Apr 02, 2009
@ topic,
I hate the culture of northerners are born to rule!!!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by toosoon(m): 10:45am On Apr 02, 2009
I also hate the culture of a confirmed barren woman is allow to marry a lady and keep her at home to have babies for her.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by azeeza(f): 11:01am On Apr 02, 2009
i love my culture so dearly.we ebiras doesnt practice wat other pple culture permit.atleast we dont inherit wives,properties.But wat i dislike most is the polygamy stuff. smiley
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by chijewel(f): 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2009
I hate that one has to buy a long 'List' of irrelevant things before you can marry
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ijleke(f): 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2009
@ poster. i hate the fact that right now in a matter of weeks my fiance has to be giving a LONG LIST that i have no idea where thats coming from, its driving me crazy,
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by kokoye(m): 2:35pm On Apr 02, 2009
ijleke:

@ poster. i hate the fact that right now in a matter of weeks my fiance has to be giving a LONG LIST that i have no idea where thats coming from, its driving me crazy,

lol.

easy though. 'half' the list and give one half to her. Abeg, dont go and run into debt cos you want to follow some stupid culture o. Improvise. Most couples put their old clothes into those boxes anyway!!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by kokoye(m): 2:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
@ post.

Some wives have to shaves their heads and stay indoors for several days when they becomes widows. Shame!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Sarauniya(f): 2:44pm On Apr 02, 2009
sojioguns:

IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE, IGNORANCE. That is what I hate most about every Nigerian culture.

Thank you! I was just about to post it up! I call myself an open minded, tolerant and accepting Nigerian. But one thing I cannot accept is the ignorance and over dependence on ridiculous sterotypes.

I'm Hausa so naturally to every other Nigerian I got married while i was a foetus and I probably have a great job prospect as a nightwatch lady.  angry

Seriously, We need to open our minds.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by MadMax1(f): 2:45pm On Apr 02, 2009
@post
Not just my culture by naija culture in general:

*Parents raising and treating boys and girls differently because of gender
*The idea that if you don't have male children your entire ancestral line is doomed
*The nonsense rites they put widows through; some cultures are horrific here.
*The idea that a husband's family owns their son's property,including his wife and kids.If they don't turn them out of the man's house after his death, they may demand 'their children' from the widow before she may remarry.
*Taking stuff from the man's family before a lady can marry him, in essence,trade by barter.Like the girl is just being taken care of until her husband comes to take his property and settle them for all their trouble.      
*The way the 'elders' script societal roles and expect everyone to follow like dumb cows.

I love my culture's culture of respect for elders, good manners and a good character and name above all else. Other stuff too.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 2:59pm On Apr 02, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Count Form 1-20 In Edo/ Bini Language / Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? / American Woman Married To Nigerian Man: Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.