Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,247 members, 7,780,503 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:40 PM

What Do You Hate About Your Culture? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (8814 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / Nigerian Scams Is it Part Of Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 6:39am On Apr 06, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by MrGlen: 3:29am On Apr 07, 2009
Respect is greeting your elders
Treating ppl kindly
Minding your parents and taking care of them when they grow old
What does giving something with your right hand instead of left do to show respect?
What if your child has no right hand what will you do?, teach them how to give things to you with their feet?
The point is giving something with your left hand IS just the same as giving it with your right
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:27am On Apr 07, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but a lot of these "cultures" mentioned here don't really seem like cultures, as much as they seem like individual people's behaviors.

Is there anything wrong with the "right-handedness" culture? Also, where I'm from, a child who is acknowledged as left-handed is pardoned (I'm not sure how true this holds for other groups though). Even if I think hard, I cannot really come up with anything about my culture that I hate. . . maybe I'm not familiar enough with my culture as I thought.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 8:19am On Apr 07, 2009
Respect is greeting your elders
Treating ppl kindly
Minding your parents and taking care of them when they grow old
What does giving something with your right hand instead of left do to show respect?
What if your child has no right hand what will you do?, teach them how to give things to you with their feet?
The point is giving something with your left hand IS just the same as giving it with your right
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I've never thought of that before.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by chinnys(f): 11:33am On Apr 07, 2009
What i hate so much about my culture is this issue of male child being of more value than the female in terms of inheritance.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 3:35pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:49pm On Apr 07, 2009
Pardoned as in, the adults and elders do not mind him/her using his/her left hand, if [s]he is left-handed.

chinnys:

What i hate so much about my culture is this issue of male child being of more value than the female in terms of inheritance.
This is much better statement than all the other ones I've seen which are similar to it.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Riskie(f): 4:16pm On Apr 07, 2009
I don't like the culture of going to babalowo tongue Instead of people to use their money for something sensible they go and pay one deceitful old goat to prepare chicken blood and lion tail concoctions to kill Iya Sule or make Baba Nuru infertile. Meanwhile they don't pay their children's school fees and other things that are so much more important. undecided
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by iReport: 4:54pm On Apr 07, 2009
I don't like the culture of going to babalowo Instead of people to use their money for something sensible they go and pay one deceitful old goat to prepare chicken blood and lion tail concoctions to kill Iya Sule or make Baba Nuru infertile. Meanwhile they don't pay their children's school fees and other things that are so much more important.
Should we ban religion? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by arogbowei: 11:45pm On Apr 07, 2009
1. culture of forceful marriage of widows to surviving brother of late husband, whether brother is capable to carry the load of the late brother., and whether the widow wants it or not.
2. culture of female genital mutilation.
3. culture of depriving the widow and her children of their late breadwinners belongings, in the name of safeguarding posterity.

Generally education, legislation and enlightenment can take care of all this. But i love the aspect of my culture that reflects the day to day communal life. But what i love most is the waterworld, from Arogbo to Sabgama, from Burutu to Bonny Island, the waterworld never cease to fascinate me. I look forward to it everytime i visit my homeland. The beauty of our culture far outweighs the grey areas, i strongly believe that educaion and legislation can take care of such.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tpia: 3:05am On Apr 08, 2009
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Leilah(f): 2:11pm On Apr 08, 2009
What states in Nigeria is FGM still practised?
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by comfort3: 2:16pm On Apr 08, 2009
Leilah:

What states in Nigeria is FGM still practised?

igboland.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Ifygurl: 1:09am On Apr 09, 2009
*comfort:

igboland.

Ohh the trabilist comfort has hit again. This time he or she shows she doesn't anything about Nigeria

comfort, FGM in Nigeria is practiced in the North and alittle in the south.

Read up on your country. Also, any fool will tell you that igbo's are against FGM.
Well now, you showed me a reason to show you know nothing. Anyway, Good luck with hating igbo people.
LMFAO on igbos are the ones doing FGM.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ty4eva(f): 4:32am On Apr 09, 2009
The yoruba culture values RESPECT the most, but what i hate is that they have so allowed it to get into their heads that they want to take advantage of the situation and take people for granted. I was seriously embarrased by an elderly woman who almost beat me up for no just cause just because she felt she deserved so much respect that what i gave her was not enough!

I hate the overzealous approach of the yoruba culture to respect!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ayobase(m): 12:46pm On Apr 09, 2009
My Culture?
Nothing to hate again about it
though just the bragging side,
but that is not an issue at all.

Civilisation is embraced.

Besides, Yoruba is the sweeetest culture!

Maybe we should have a thread on this!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 5:41pm On Apr 09, 2009
The culture of drunkeness among Nigerian men.
Survival of the fittest that is engraved in us as Nigerians. We find it difficult to be orderly and queue up for what is due to us.  We struggle to enter bus in Lagos thereby denying  children and women that are obviously weaker than us a chance. We behave like animals sometimes. One good thing they do in PH and owerri.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by deno2: 2:31am On Apr 10, 2009
The culture of eatting human flesh rituals/blood money like those ones they show in ejiro movies.

the culture of widow marring their late husband brothers
the culture of money conscious

the culture of widow drinking water from their late husband bathing water.
the culture of osu discrimination.

the culture of high bride price.
more later,
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:26am On Apr 10, 2009
^deno:

the culture of high bride price.
Is Bride Price amount set, and non-debatable? If it is, then you can make this statement.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by tamme: 1:29am On May 20, 2009
fattening room although many people dont do it again
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 4:07am On May 21, 2009

The culture of eatting human flesh rituals/blood money like those ones they show in ejiro movies.
Very funny grin grin
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Fhemmmy: 12:51pm On May 21, 2009
The facts that kids are not allowed to talk while adults are talking.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by teissys(f): 1:16pm On May 21, 2009
The fact that when we slaughter chicken, the father is served with the thighs, the gizzard and all the steak; the mother eats the wings and the kids eat the neck and the ribs. What insolence. . !
(If you eat the gizzard that was meant for your father; then your mother will skin you alive. She can make you vomit it if she has to) undecided
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by AloyEmeka9: 8:46pm On May 22, 2009
The facts that kids are not allowed to talk while adults are talking.
That will be the new nairaland culture starting from june 1. Adults can never be interrupted here. grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by NoFearNYC(m): 3:11am On May 28, 2009
I hate the fact that a lot of BS is accepted blindly, in the name of culture, so I love this thread.

I hate the fact that parents and elders are automatically given respect and almost revered, deserving or not. No child of mine will prostrate or kneel for some ashewo aunty or drunken abusive uncle. What does that teach them?

I hate the fact that parents can't bury their children. I would want the closure that comes with attending the funeral.

I hate the left-handed thing, which has already been touched - makes no sense to me.

I hate the fact that in some Nigerian cultures, women are subservient to men - this can be deadly in today's world of HIV/AIDS.

I hate the fact that a lot of Victorian values, which have very little or nothing to do with Africa, are held on to.

I hate the hypocrisy and denial, so deeply entrenched in our culture.

Not so much culture, but definitely a way of life - I hate the fact that religious fanaticism seems to have replaced intellect and that greed and corruption are damaging the very fabric of our societies.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Dede1(m): 8:21pm On May 28, 2009
Anybody who posted in support of castigating his or her culture is an irresponsible dullard blinded to irredeemable stupidity. Among the reasons Africans are disdained all over the universe is the inherent dislike of their fundamental form of behaviors that are even superior to alien cultures they embrace. My people say that a rejected person should not also reject oneself.

Granted that there are aspects of our culture that needed moderations does not embolden us to thrash our culture in public. My people say that any child that called his or her mother ugly invariably called his or her father stupid and declared him or herself a dunce. 

Most of the societal decadence that has fallen on us today is as a result of our shift from the dictates of our respective cultures.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by echelon(m): 9:37pm On May 28, 2009
Supu! Gwanu fa ka fa nu
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by NoFearNYC(m): 11:16pm On May 28, 2009
Dede1:

Anybody who posted in support of castigating his or her culture is an irresponsible dullard blinded to irredeemable stupidity. Among the reasons Africans are disdained all over the universe is the inherent dislike of their fundamental form of behaviors that are even superior to alien cultures they embrace. My people say that a rejected person should not also reject oneself.

Granted that there are aspects of our culture that needed moderations does not embolden us to thrash our culture in public. My people say that any child that called his or her mother ugly invariably called his or her father stupid and declared him or herself a dunce. 

Most of the societal decadence that has fallen on us today is as a result of our shift from the dictates of our respective cultures. 

People are merely stating what they personally don't like. What's so wrong with that?
Are you suggesting that such discussions should only be held in private?

I was under the impression that we were created with brains, so we could use them. Blindly accepting any culture never leads to any kind of growth. There are positive and negative aspects of all cultures(African or Western) and these will vary depending on whom you ask. The good thing about threads like this, is that it makes us think - I guess that's so not part of Nigerian culture. I beg to differ, many great Nigerians have had questioning minds.

I do agree with you, that some Africans seem to think other cultures are superior to theirs, but I don't think that's what is going on here. It is just a discussion - some people have even learned things about other Nigerian cultures. Isn't that a good thing? It's funny how we tend to only see what we want to see and not what's actually there.

I prefer to take the positive aspects from my culture(and any others I might be exposed to), discard the negative(which is a personal thing), while maintaining my Nigerianness and my individuality.

The only thing is life that doesn't change, is change itself!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Dede1(m): 1:04pm On May 29, 2009
NoFearNYC:

People are merely stating what they personally don't like. What's so wrong with that?
Are you suggesting that such discussions should only be held in private?

I was under the impression that we were created with brains, so we could use them. Blindly accepting any culture never leads to any kind of growth. There are positive and negative aspects of all cultures(African or Western) and these will vary depending on whom you ask. The good thing about threads like this, is that it makes us think - I guess that's so not part of Nigerian culture. I beg to differ, many great Nigerians have had questioning minds.

I do agree with you, that some Africans seem to think other cultures are superior to theirs, but I don't think that's what is going on here. It is just a discussion - some people have even learned things about other Nigerian cultures. Isn't that a good thing? It's funny how we tend to only see what we want to see and not what's actually there.

I prefer to take the positive aspects from my culture(and any others I might be exposed to), discard the negative(which is a personal thing), while maintaining my Nigerianness and my individuality.

The only thing is life that doesn't change, is change itself!

What need is of the brain when we can not respect our elders irrespective of the elder’s social strata in the community? Please spare me the crap about being created with brain.

There was a culture that made it possible that you were born by bounding your forebears to live together as man and woman. I hope you would not expect any form of respect from nobody because respect they say begets respects.

I am well off with culture of my people and very impressed that the areas that needed moderations have been addressed and will continue to be tweaked. 

Please be informed that when person is pointing a finger at another person, the pointer is invariably pointing the remaining of the four fingers at him or herself.

You are the living example of the culture and tradition of your people, if you do not appreciate them, I suggest a chill pill.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by NoFearNYC(m): 8:37pm On May 29, 2009
Dede1:

What need is of the brain when we can not respect our elders irrespective of the elder’s social strata in the community? Please spare me the crap about being created with brain.

There was a culture that made it possible that you were born by bounding your forebears to live together as man and woman. I hope you would not expect any form of respect from nobody because respect they say begets respects.

I am well off with culture of my people and very impressed that the areas that needed moderations have been addressed and will continue to be tweaked. 

Please be informed that when person is pointing a finger at another person, the pointer is invariably pointing the remaining of the four fingers at him or herself.

You are the living example of the culture and tradition of your people, if you do not appreciate them, I suggest a chill pill.

Actually, that is the beauty of forums like this. We are saying the same thing, in a round about way, give or take a few differences. You, obviously, would rather it were done at home and not in public, which is where I disagree.

I believe in respecting elders, just not blindly. If an elder doesn't respect themselves, then I don't want my kids to get mixed messages, by having to kneel before said elder. In my opinion, I would seem kinda psycho, to tell my kids to say no to drugs and then have them kneel before a 50yr old crack dealer. Or teach my son to respect females, yet he has to prostrate before the known wife beater in the family. That's all I'm saying, each family usually has their own set of rules and values. You are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine. I just don't subscribe to hypocrisy. When I speak about culture and values, I'm usually looking at it with our kids and youth in mind.

As far as pointing four fingers at one self, if that's the case, then what's so wrong with some self-examination? Without introspection, which can be very humbling, we don't grow. My ego is not that big or fragile, as to assume there is no room for improvement. You've pretty much stated the same thing, so we agree on that. The difference, again, being, should we do it publicly or privately? I think that's a personal choice.

I appreciate the culture and tradition of my people, I just don't have to agree with, or apply each and every one to my life. Again - a personal choice.

As far as taking a chill pill goes, none needed here. I've always believed there's nothing wrong with a good debate, we can agree to disagree. Those, who use words like[i] irresponsible dullard blinded to irredeemable stupidity[/i], would seem more in need of a chill pill, or at the very least, some honest introspection.

Again, we are all entitled to our opinions, so I respect yours, my brother, I just won't apply them to my life.

Appreciate the debate and have a great weekend!
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by Dede1(m): 8:27pm On May 30, 2009
NoFearNYC:

Actually, that is the beauty of forums like this. We are saying the same thing, in a round about way, give or take a few differences. You, obviously, would rather it were done at home and not in public, which is where I disagree.

I believe in respecting elders, just not blindly. If an elder doesn't respect themselves, then I don't want my kids to get mixed messages, by having to kneel before said elder. In my opinion, I would seem kinda psycho, to tell my kids to say no to drugs and then have them kneel before a 50yr old crack dealer. Or teach my son to respect females, yet he has to prostrate before the known wife beater in the family. That's all I'm saying, each family usually has their own set of rules and values. You are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine. I just don't subscribe to hypocrisy. When I speak about culture and values, I'm usually looking at it with our kids and youth in mind.

As far as pointing four fingers at one self, if that's the case, then what's so wrong with some self-examination? Without introspection, which can be very humbling, we don't grow. My ego is not that big or fragile, as to assume there is no room for improvement. You've pretty much stated the same thing, so we agree on that. The difference, again, being, should we do it publicly or privately? I think that's a personal choice.

I appreciate the culture and tradition of my people, I just don't have to agree with, or apply each and every one to my life. Again - a personal choice.

As far as taking a chill pill goes, none needed here. I've always believed there's nothing wrong with a good debate, we can agree to disagree. Those, who use words like[i] irresponsible dullard blinded to irredeemable stupidity[/i], would seem more in need of a chill pill, or at the very least, some honest introspection.

Again, we are all entitled to our opinions, so I respect yours, my brother, I just won't apply them to my life.

Appreciate the debate and have a great weekend!

I think, and according to my forbears, culture and tradition are paramount. I could not hold myself to the pedestal novelty where people’s way of life should be subjected to the fancy of pick and choose. It is a fact that if personal choices are prevailing modalities in any cultural society, there would have been no culture at all. Whether denigration of one's culture and tradition is done in public or private domain, such act amounts to self-pity.

It is rather unfortunate that fundamental and inventive genius among our people have been scarified on the altar of the so-called western civilization by the indigenous elements such as you who thought growth is achieved by thrashing one’s culture.

The allusion of the wife-beating, crack dealing, respecting of female and saying no to drug are rather fan-fare of misplaced priorities than culture. My culture has indoctrinated every living soul and inculcated a measure of discipline among the people of my society that a wife should not precipitate what would attract a beating from the husband, the female among us should conduct themselves in a feminine posture as to draw respect, same goes to male and taking of drugs, except prescribed by a doctor, is not an option to our kids.

I am afraid that your gravitation towards personal preferences within a culture is what gave rise to social decadence.
Re: What Do You Hate About Your Culture? by slimfine(f): 6:25pm On Jun 13, 2009
*comfort:

igboland.

which part of igboland are you from? becuase where am from, such is not practiced!

@topic: I hate that in igboland, corpse stay overnight just befor the burial. don't know whether this has been changed thou cos I left about six years ago.

and the fact that in igboland (or in nigeria) a child cannot collect anything with a left hand from an adult even if the child is left handed. it is supposedly rude! angry my left hand is still my hand so why the fuss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Somalis In Nigeria / Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / Do We Actually Need English Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.