Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,427 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old (64267 Views)

Victims Of The Collapsed Three-Storey Building In Lagos (Photos) / Three Storey Building Collapses At Ilasa, Lagos (Photos, Video) / The First Storey Building In Nigeria: Unpopular Things You Dont Know It (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by dayojags10(m): 10:22pm On Aug 23, 2015
proud to be a badagrian. the most peaceful place in Lagos to live. with the history we have here, badagry is meant to be the Banana island of Lagos.... But the government just forget us for dis side. everything here is ancient mehn
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by ignis: 10:24pm On Aug 23, 2015
mytime24:
shey d landlord dey NL grin grin

Am the landlord. ...
sorry, no vacant room
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 23, 2015
ambgiano:

Did i just read you write 'tourist center'? Ah! i see nothing to tour here other than washy chalky paints capped with rusty browny sheets of zinc. No vex laho wowo.

We're in the 21st century, where change is constant and speedy.

If they renovated and decorate the entire price, I know you won't hesitate to pay just to tour the arena. People from other countries will even come visiting.

Who no go wan like see the 1st storey building in Naija with ein korokoro eye
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by snellsun(m): 10:43pm On Aug 23, 2015
temmypotter:
Reminisce.. I visited the building sometime in 2010 for an excursion! It was amazing!.. Let me see what I can remember about the building.. Yh.. Its in badagry.. Not so far away from other historical sites like the ''point of no return''-during the slave trade thingy.. Once slaves were taken to that point and beyond.. That was the last ever seen or heard about them. A boundary or some sort between badagry and whatever route they were taken through before the atlantic. At the time I visited.. There was a house.. Where the slaves were kept before moved,I entered.. It was real creepy. I could literally feel like I was among em slaves.. The place was so pristine just as I woulda imagined it was 200years ago.. Also there was a museum of some sort. With chains used for the slaves then.. Some clothing materials worn by slaves,the hand and feet chains, some crude tools.. And other things I can't remember now.. But the most fascinating object there was a Big bowl!.. Like a very round drum basin.. All the slaves would drink water from this basin at the same time! Sometime in the heat of the struggle.. Ppl wud hit their heads on d basins which happened to be quite rigid and be seriously injured... Finally.. The oldest storybuilding in Nigeria was also the house in which the late samuel ajayi crowther lived and died. I visited his office..there was a bell and a bible on the table covered with a silk material.. The bell was the late bishop's personal bell and the bible was the first bible translated into yoruba from English.. And might I add! I couldn't even read the bible.. The words there were so not like our today's yoruba bible...read more like what yoruba's call ''egun'' language or something to me.. The interior of the building is actually wood except the walls... Like the deck between the down floor and top floor.. So on the top floor, you'd literally be walking on planks of wood.. The stair case was also made of wood.. And I'm talking archaic styled!..other fascinating sites were in the compound,a school and other smaller buildings.. Can't recollect all now though.. But there was this well with water believed to be powerful and all encompassing.. For problems.. Academics,spiritual and.. All that!!, I scooped some anyways...even though I didn't believe the overly exaggerated advert.. Now badagry is some fun place to visit!

yeah... I remember visiting in 2008 d tour guide told us d same story about d well.it was quite an experience.
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Ayatullah(m): 10:45pm On Aug 23, 2015
ROSSIKE:
That is NOT the first storey building in Nigeria. The first storey building in Nigeria was built thousands of years before the first Englishman existed.

You should be right if we consider those built using wood by fishermen at the banks of river and inside the river.
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by vislabraye(m): 10:46pm On Aug 23, 2015
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by mostee4all(m): 10:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
jnrbayano:
Antique.

Great.

Definitely stronger that that house which collapsed at Ikotun that murdered scores of people.

They said an aircraft flew over it and it collapsed.

Can someone here comment on this thank you awaiting to hear from sound minded nairalanders
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Ninilowo(m): 10:50pm On Aug 23, 2015
akinszz:
Mokekemukeke
grin
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Petitediva14(f): 10:51pm On Aug 23, 2015
vislabraye:

I bet you, the foundation of this building is stronger than many so called modern houses in Nigeria.

You bet ke?! No need to bet o! It is!! No arguing.

1 Like

Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 23, 2015
correct me sir please
iykofias:
whoever taught u english language is wicked
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 23, 2015
EmagNig:
crude, should have been renovated... bad government

[size=16pt]sexyLADE[/size] says so

NIGERIA'S 1ST e-MAGAZINE? CHECK MY SIGNATURE
renovate a historical monument?
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by lanxebony(m): 11:07pm On Aug 23, 2015
Most of us have only heard and seen the 1st storey but little have heard or seen the 2nd, well lucky
Me have seen both.

Moral lesson pple dnt care about who makes second, they only want the 1st
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by AikayDaWrapper(m): 11:14pm On Aug 23, 2015
Renovating it wouldn't be worthwhile. They should just clean the surroundings and inside the house and use for tourism.

Renovating it just makes it lose its appeal as a relic
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by emmydsife(m): 11:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
ROSSIKE:
That is NOT the first storey building in Nigeria. The first storey building in Nigeria was built thousands of years before the first Englishman existed.
And where is it or show us a proof.
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Emmyk(m): 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2015
king92:
This cannot be the first cos my great grand pa built one in Iyeru okin over 200 years ago

Over 200 years ago Great-granpa or great great X2

Your great-granpa surely wasn't alive during that time :-P :-p That means, Your grandad was born around 200years ago too... Your pops... Lets say, over 150 years ago... And you?

Over 100 cheesy

1 Like

Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by reiddecuti: 11:30pm On Aug 23, 2015
boboLIL:
That time,, materials are made in italy and germany...

But now evrytin is made in china......
.....and aba

See as the building solid like erected dik
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by lordtq(m): 11:41pm On Aug 23, 2015
Where na This is the official one! If ur story is true anyways
ROSSIKE:
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Jeezbaby(f): 12:19am On Aug 24, 2015
The owner must be stinkingly rich back then. Very nice foundation.
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by chamboy(m): 12:30am On Aug 24, 2015
ROSSIKE:
in enugu shey
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by cnnamoko(m): 12:33am On Aug 24, 2015
Nice. Badagy lagos
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by kehyndey(f): 1:07am On Aug 24, 2015
Habidab:
Badagry,I went there during excursion days in my primary school, maybe 1995
i fink that is where d op is taking about bro, cos d first storey building in Nigeria according to history is in Badagary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by kehyndey(f): 1:09am On Aug 24, 2015
chamboy:
in enugu shey
gringringringrin u must be joking ryt?
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Rexnegro(m): 1:24am On Aug 24, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Proof pls
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Rexnegro(m): 1:28am On Aug 24, 2015
yemstok:
they should renovate it na!

aluminium roof
aluminium windows
p.o.p
painting
and an interlocked compund.
If all wat you said is done then its no longer historic again bro...I tink they should just repair or replace any weakened part of it possibly with same material that's if it can still be gotten at dis era.
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 24, 2015
Who dey house?
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 24, 2015
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by emzila(m): 2:04am On Aug 24, 2015
ROSSIKE:

oga, d one wey u know as first story building for Nigeria dey where? E bi like say u don drink early morning garri with hypo.
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by fortunechy(m): 2:52am On Aug 24, 2015
so strong unlike the one they ar doin nw
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by AAinEqGuinea: 3:41am On Aug 24, 2015
richidinho:
Isokay
Slave's house

Where TUPAC and Puff Daddy grand popsy were bought and taken to California

I see. Areas like these must also be the immigration office where their grandpos decided to willingly renounced their African- prefix from their modern title of African American, as if they had the choice a mere 170 years ago
Re: Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old by JayJustus(m): 5:08am On Aug 24, 2015
OzMingle:
I c, needs structural re-assessment...

you can't touch the building cos it is protected by certain tourism laws...only the inners can be repainted....go to the museum and see the car that murtala was killed...they don't touch it but only change the tyres yearly or so...coming from a tourism student before they start to bash me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tenant Who Was Served Quit Notice Builds Beautiful House Opposite Landlord / Man Whose Watch, Cloths And House Are All Green, White, Green / Dad Wins Epic N1.9 Billion James Bond-Style Mansion With Just N15,000 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.