Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

7 Must Read Books By African Authors - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 Must Read Books By African Authors (26184 Views)

Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Must Read: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Must Read Books By African Authors by AnthonyAk(m): 5:58am On Aug 24, 2015

Story telling is such a beautiful art. More than any other people, Africans have mastered this art the best. Just take a look at the hieroglyphics from Egypt and how they tell tales of the times of the Pharaohs, tales that would have been otherwise lost.

Contemporary African authors have taken the African stories to paper and ink, a medium that will ensure the African story is never forgotten. There are many great books by African authors, some of whom I have not been privileged to read. Yet. Here however are my 10 must read books by African Authors for all lovers of literature and story telling.

The African Child – Camara Laye
I read this as a 11 year old and loved every word. In it, Laye describes life, growing up as an African child in Guinea, West Africa. Deeply nostalgic, the book is an autobiography portraying a vision of Islamic and ancient African community in the pre colonial era, a time when tradition engendered mutual understanding and respect for all.

The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born – Ayi Kwei Armah
This is another childhood favorite although I didn’t understand much of it then until I read it a second time as an adult. It is a satirical attack on the Ghanaian society during Kwame Nkrumah’s regime and the period immediately after independence in the 1960. The book is regarded by many as a close second to Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart as one of the finest books to come out of Africa.

The Narrow Path – Francis Selormey
One word to describe this one? Nostalgic. Effortless. Okay that is two words but what a perfect book. Selormey takes us a journey of childhood in rural Ghana. Growing up as the first child has its pains and joys for our little hero and you can’t help but root for Kofi, not even when he is beinga little rascal. Like an African Child, this book is descriptive and filled with imagery that will stay with you for a long time.

Weep Not Child – Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o
Ngugi does a great job with this story, weaving fiction and non-fiction seamlessly into a wonderful tale. It is a moving story about the effects of the Mau Mau war on the lives of ordinary men and women in Kenya.

Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
Take a deep bow people. This is one of the finest books ever written- by anyone, from wherever. It is probably the best known African novel and has become one of the world’s most influential literary masterpieces. Since publication, nearly 12 million copies have been sold(did i hear someone say ‘bestseller’), with translations into more than 50 languages. The book has been made into TV series- I clearly remember Pete Edochie’s apt interpretation of the book’s hero Okonkwo.

The Passport of Mallam Ilia – Cyprian Ekwensi
Ekwensi is one of an unsung hero of African story telling. From Jagua Nana to Toads for Supper, this wordsmith captures our minds with beautiful tales from all over Nigeria. The Passport of Mallam Ilia is an adventure set in Northern Nigeria and has everything a thriller should possess-adventure, love, betrayal and suspense. It is a beautiful story that will stay with you, long after the last page

Cry The Beloved Country – Alan Paton
Your heart cannot help but fill with love and hope after reading this masterpiece. I saw the movie first but no matter, it didn’t spoil the book for me. This is probably the most famous and important novel in South Africa’s history and it became an immediate worldwide bestseller in 1948. It is the deeply moving story of the Zulu pastor Stephen Kumalo and his son, Absalom, set against the background of a land and a people riven by racial injustice.

There are so many good contemporary authors today as well; the Adichies, Wainainas etc. Which are your favorite African authors and books? Tell us in the comments.
Source

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 6:05am On Aug 24, 2015
A reader is a leader. I must read all.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Adamsdelrio(m): 6:21am On Aug 24, 2015
What about 'the gods are not to blame'?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Akposb(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2015
Greater books are out there but I love your list.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by AmakaDNB(f): 6:09pm On Aug 24, 2015
Ola by Daniel Nkado

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Ndipe(m): 2:18am On Nov 14, 2015
Here is Marie, Camara Laye's girlfriend in the African Child.

http://www.campboiro.org/victimes/camara_marie_lorofi.html

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by handie(m): 5:51am On Nov 14, 2015
I've read about 5 of these books.... Before my 15th birthday. Things fall apart was before my 9th(tho didn't really get d message) and actually, I've forgotten most of the stories.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Babe2sure(f): 7:57am On Nov 17, 2015
I did not enjoy reading "The passport of Mallam Illa"
The story does not make sense to me.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by SirDavico(m): 7:49am On May 09, 2016
I've only read two of those books on the list.
>Dizzy Angel by Grace Osifo is also a great book.
And so are
>Pot of life, Return of Aimiuwu and Mystries of pot of life by H. J. Akenzua.
And lots more.

Can anyone give me a link to download Mystries of pot of Life?
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Bitterleafsoup: 6:43am On May 10, 2016
Okay heres mine...

Wizard of the Crow- Ngugi wa Thiong"o
Arrow of the God -Chinua Achebe
Graceland- Chris Abani
Purple Hibiscus-Ngozi Chimamanda

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 6:44am On May 10, 2016
I think its better you come up with seven authors whose books are to be read
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by NCP: 6:46am On May 10, 2016
READ THEM ALL
and expect CHEAP fuel, CONSTANT light and 1 dollar = #150

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by joseph1832(m): 6:46am On May 10, 2016
I smile when I know I've read almost all the books here. African literature still packs quite a punch.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by joseph1832(m): 6:47am On May 10, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:
Okay heres mine...
I waiting for it. smiley

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nakairogold(f): 6:50am On May 10, 2016
I've read all d books d op mentioned, enjoyed the passport of malam illia, weep not child and things fall apart. The beautiful ones are not yet born is one hell of a book I found difficult to comprehend.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 6:51am On May 10, 2016
[b][/b]The Ant-hill of savanna..go and read itThe Ant-hill of savanna..go and read itThe Ant-hill of savanna..go and read it
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by flyca: 6:51am On May 10, 2016
AmakaDNB:
Ola by Daniel Nkado
African Names should be reflected by the Authors in typical African Literature. "Daniel" is not an African name.
Before we start seeing, "We are African Warriors by Lalastic Lala Brown" shocked angry

6 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by jazinogold(m): 6:52am On May 10, 2016
grin

you forgot to add 'How to speak good English by Patience Jonathan' grin

'Abacha was not corrupt by PMB' shocked

6 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Bitterleafsoup: 6:53am On May 10, 2016
SirDavico:
I've only read two of those books on the list.
>Dizzy Angel by Grace Osifo is also a great book.
And so are
>Pot of life, Return of Aimiuwu and Mystries of pot of life by H. J. Akenzua.
And lots more.

Can anyone give me a link to download Mystries of pot of Life?

Hahaha Dizzy Angel is preety good ..

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Aspireahead(m): 6:54am On May 10, 2016
I have read most of the books there. The Beautiful ones are not yet born will dissapoint anyone who chooses to read it because of the title. and why is most, if not all of Cyprien Ekwensi's work based on Northern Nigeria and Hausa?
also read
The slave boy can't remember the name of the author.

An African night Entertainment by Cyprian Ekwesi.

the old man and the Medal by Ferdinand Oyono
The man Died by Sole Soyinka
The Devil and the cross Ngugi Wanthiongo
The trial of Sedan Kimathi Ngugi and Micere

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by MalachiIke(m): 6:54am On May 10, 2016
the passport of malam illia was interesting though I read few others but have forgotten the messages
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Bitterleafsoup: 6:54am On May 10, 2016
joseph1832:
I waiting for it. smiley
Where your own ?
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by greatsodade(m): 6:55am On May 10, 2016
Out of seven av only read three of those books but that was back then though cos moved to reading motivational stuff for sometimes now. But this books listed up there are a delight any day anytime.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by HolyHero: 6:55am On May 10, 2016
[size=30pt]
mine are
1 things fall apart
2 purple habiscus
3 arrow of God
4 ado and the crocodile
5 son of the soil(nanny boi1)
6 the fruit of honesty
7 the incorruptable judge
[/size]

5 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by lecturerdabo(m): 6:57am On May 10, 2016
Yet to read weep not child and cry the beloved country!

The concubine by.Elechi Amadi also rocks!!

READERS REIGN!!!

7 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by ebig21(m): 6:58am On May 10, 2016
Nice compilation op, the other day some one was comparing chimamanda adichie to achebe. I nearly cried

3 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by YabaLeftist: 7:00am On May 10, 2016
The African Child, Weep Not Child, Things Fall Apart, Arrow of God and Kossoh Town Boy are my favorites.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by joseph1832(m): 7:00am On May 10, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:
Where your own ?
You'll see it soon. Though its not African literature. I'll open it in sexuality section. Contains, violence, action, gore and of course sex. I call it The Known Stranger. grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Pavore9: 7:02am On May 10, 2016
Read the Passport of Mallam IIia when l was 12, it led me into reading another northern-themed novel The Boy Slave written by Kola Onadipe. I still shudder whenever l recall the story, how children were kidnapped into slavery! Read his other books, The Return of The Boy Slave and The adventures of Souza

Reading Mine Boy gave me the childhood idea of what is was like living in then Apartheid South Africa.

Reading Efuru and Idu by Flora Nwapa gave me insight into traditional religion and dealing with barrenness.

We need to motivate our young ones to read for pleasure.

13 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by LePrezident(m): 7:02am On May 10, 2016
OP nice list of books there. Let me just kindly draw your attention to the Ayikwei Armah's book review you did. You stated some there that after Ghana's independence in 1960. Ghana's indepence was in 1957 instead.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by HCF(m): 7:03am On May 10, 2016
I have read all and they remain some of the best novels ever written by Africans.

Other books by African authors i like are The Bride Price-Buchi Emecheta, Violence-Festus Iyayi and Somolu Blues-(I cant remember d author),

'The Interpreters' by Wole Soyinka would have made my list but it was too hard for me to comprehend; I read the novel upto five times,before i could understand it grin

4 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by tijehi(f): 7:07am On May 10, 2016
handie:
I've read about 5 of these books.... Before my 15th birthday. Things fall apart was before my 9th(tho didn't really get d message) and actually, I've forgotten most of the stories.

Abi o. These books are mostly literature books for junior secondary school. I read all of them before I turned 14.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Famous Books Of African Authors / Please Don't Scream (PDS) / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.