Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,380 members, 7,781,065 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:20 AM

The Potentials Of Yorubaland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Potentials Of Yorubaland (11651 Views)

CBN: Anambra Has The Potentials To Be Food-basket Of Nigeria & African Continent / Eaglets Victory Bold Response To Buhari Failure To Acknowledge Youths Potentials / Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2015
My purpose of writing this is because i noticed some of my yoruba brothers don't really know much about their environment and how hugely blessed it is but i feel with the little knowledge i have i can share some of it . I’m also writing this to perform a total knockout on the myth that yorubaland cannot survive without the oil from the niger delta if left alone which irks me a lot because in my opinion i feel we yorubas will be the biggest beneficiaries of autonomy or at worse the break-up of the country.the realities on ground prove this.i owe no one apologies when i say i'm yoruba first before i'm Nigerian because i believe the unitary system has failed us as a people and is currently killing our potentials so i'm not really pro One nigeria per se even though i know a lot of my brothers are not with me on this. before the Collapse of the regional system of government in Nigeria. Yorubaland was seen as a model for every other part of the country and its successes till date is still unmatched. that was the golden era of the yorubas.the context of this write up though is yorubaland but i also recognized the status of Nigeria as a federal republic while also recognizing its imperfections hence the exclusion of parts of kogi state and kwara state. before i go further below is just some of the achievements of the old western region before the oil boom era

-The first TV station in Africa- WNTV ahead of many European countries including france
-The first university teaching hospital in West Africa-UCH
-The first sky scraper in Africa- Cocoa house ibadan
-The first stadium in West Africa -The liberty stadium ibadan which was relied upon by the whole country for more than three decades
-The first hotel in Nigeria – The premier hotel ibadan
-The first hospital in Nigeria- Sacred heart Abeokuta
-The first industrial estates- Oluyole an ilupeju Industrial estate
-First to implement free primary education and free health care programmes and implemented the first minimum-wage policy by a Nigerian government at any level
-Built the best network of roads which was emulated by Ahmadu Bello
-the first Newspaper Iwe irohin as far back as 1949
-During that period the western region government paid its workers higher wages than any other region in Nigeria and as such attracted a lot of foreigners from ghana,,benin republic and togo. mass migration form other parts of the country both from the eastern region and northern region

The bottom line is the southwest was far ahead of its time in africa during that period. All of these achieved entirely with the proceeds from cocoa,rubber and timber before the oil boom. we've done it before and we can do it again. i can confidently say all of these achievements will be child play if we're left to develop at our own pace

Finally i did an X-ray of every thing needed to have a stable economy and i was unable to find anything we lack

Below is just a summary of the resources and potentials of yorubaland if regional autonomy is granted or at worst if the country finally splits

OYO STATE
-Oyo state is hugely blessed with gemstones. it has the most gemstones after nassarawa and plateau states .sapphires in itesiwaju,iwajowa,ibarapa,atisbo,oluyole. aquamarines in oluyole, saki west, ona ara, spessarites and paraiba tourmalines in atisbo,egbeda, ibarapa.oluyole,saki and several locations of the state. all of these in huge quantities. these are some of the most valuable gemstones one can ever think of but unfortunately being mined by foreigners
-Oyo state is the largest producer of Tobacco in Nigeria
-its also the home of the Yoruba textile industry(aso oke fabrics). An extremely lucrative industry
-Ibadan is the largest city in sub-saharan Africa and its also the political capital of yoruba land. It also boasts of a huge population
-Oyo state is unarguably the agricultural centre of the yoruba region as it produces the most crops of all the yoruba states due to its close proximity to the north. Its also blessed with huge arable land

ONDO STATE

-Ondo state has large crude oil reserves and a lot of natural resources.It's the largest oil producing state after the South/s states.
-the state is blessed with huge natural gas reserves too and a little bit of limestone and coal
-It also boasts of the second largest bitumen deposits in the world. Bitumen also known as oil sands is the backbone of the Canadian economy and also countries like venezuela and madagascar
-Ondo state is the largest producer of cocoa in Nigeria and accounts for 60% of the country's cocoa which is our biggest non-oil export. Its also a potential chocolate manufacturing hub
-the state also has huge tourism potentials idanre hills,igbo olodumare, owo museum e.t.c
-The state is blessed with fisheries due to its close proximity to the sea
-The state is also showing signs of being the future medical capital of yorubaland as a result of its huge success in the health sector

OGUN STATE

-Ogun state is an industrialized state, with the largest concentration of industries in Nigeria. Ota, sagamu and agbara
-The largest and purest deposits of limestone in the country are found in ogun state.Extensive limestone deposits in the state can last for some five hundred years according to scientists and the largest Cement factory in West Africa is located in the state
-it home to the most enterprising people in africa (the ijebu people) these people have produced the most successful businessmen in Africa
-its also Home to the largest tie and dye market in the whole of Africa. the kaita adire/kampala market abeokuta
-The state is home to the most universities in Nigeria
-its also the largest kola nut collecting centre in Nigeria

OSUN STATE
-Osun state has over a billion dollars worth of gold deposits
-its also the largest producer of potato in Nigeria
-the state with its rich history is extremely blessed with tourism sites and festivals. the tourism potential of the state cannot be enumerated. Tourism is its strongest point.
-the state is also home to the adire tie and dye industry
-the state alongside lagos is the tech capital of Yoruba land. Obafemi Awolowo University
-the state is also hugely blessed with arable land

EKITI STATE
-The strongest point of ekiti state is its endownment of intellectuals. the state has produced some of the most reknowned professors in the history of the country and its the intellectual capital of yorubaland
-The state is endowed with numerous tourism sites. ikogosi springs, erinta waterfalls,ero water dam,Olosunta and Orole Hills of Ikere e.t.c

LAGOS STATE
i found it difficult to enumerate the potentials of the state due to its cosmopolitan nature. but i wouldn't mind my brothers here listing out its resources and potentials if regional autonomy is granted and its population of non-Yorubas reduces drastically

EKO ATLANTIC CITY
BADAGRY DOCKYARD
OLOKOLA FREE TRADE ZONE
LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE
APAPA SEA PORT,TIN CAN ISLAND
LAGOS AIRPORT

-Yoruba land is hugely blessed with what i refer to as intellectual and administrative resources and its home to a lot of great,successful and intelligent people,it has never lacked progressive-minded and vissionary individuals from the awolowo,jakande days to the current ones like fashola and adesina

-Its also blessed with a huge youthful population

-With the rate at which everything is moving towards technology. yorubas are showing promises in this field as evident in OAU so we definitely won't lack in that sector

-A viable entertainment and fashion arts and cultural industry

ODUA KNOW THYSELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y06lExHO9HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAJUqIJbaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizhK-X7KGI

11 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by kayo80(m): 2:08pm On Aug 24, 2015
Hmm! Interesting. This is a real eye opener. Thanks for putting it up. I am really interested in the Billion Dollar Gold mine in Ondo...I guess I would have to look more into that.

Yea, I also don't like how some people from a part of the country keep saying we can't survive without them, when they are the ones encroaching on our land. I wonder if they would stay put in their land if Nigeria finally divides...Can they afford to do that sef? I have a lot of friends from that part of the country, and I don't necessarily hate the people from their, but it seems a whole lot of them here on Niaraland are rude, arrogant, proud and pompous.

2 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
Did you include zinc oxide?

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2015
Your post is rubbish if you cannot include lagos state. Coward

1 Like

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by cromz(m): 2:36pm On Aug 24, 2015
Wonderful thread let me talk about Lagos
•Lagos has crude oil and would soon join the oil producing states
•it's vast rivers can be used for fishery and tourism
•With 50% of Nigeria's economic industries in Lagos it will serve as the commercial craddle to Yoruba land
•it borders the Atlantic ocean so importing and exporting of resources and goods from western countries would be done with ease also landlocked regions like the supposed Biafra and the north will pay to use the port grin

Before the tribal bigots attack me

3 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by cromz(m): 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2015
menabadoo:
Did you include zinc oxide?
Those red roofs will change one day when there's oduduwa republic

1 Like

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by modhream: 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2015
UCH was established by an Act of Parliament in November 1951,passed Nigerian HOR Ordinance of August 1952.It is not and never was a Western Region establishment.Take that out of your list and carry on with your daydream

5 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by yorubatic: 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2015
Let us fight for the actualization of odua republic. ..a sophisticated and progressive Odu'a republic where there will be no ibo. .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2015
Yorubaland has the highest number of industries and universties in Nigeria yet some illiterate creek thugs say you cannot survive without them

Three states in Yorubalnd : Lagos, Ogun & Ondo all have access to the Atlantic Ocean yet some gorillas from a gulley eroded, red muded, landlocked region say you cannot survive without them.

11 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2015
cromz:
Wonderful thread let me talk about Lagos
•Lagos has crude oil and would soon join the oil producing states
•it's vast rivers can be used for fishery and tourism
•With 50% of Nigeria's economic industries in Lagos it will serve as the commercial craddle to Yoruba land
•it borders the Atlantic ocean so importing and exporting of resources and goods from western countries would be done with ease also landlocked regions like the supposed Biafra and the north will pay to use the port grin

Before the tribal bigots attack me

Thanks man. instead of the mumu above me jagidijagan or whatever nonsense he calls himself to politely name the potentials of Lagos. he's telling me the post is rubbish.
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by wytecat: 3:05pm On Aug 24, 2015
Prime property!
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by zuchyblink(m): 3:06pm On Aug 24, 2015
nothing new......can the zoo divide now? I'm begging the yorubas to push for Odua state lets see how it is gonna be

4 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by MrPresident1: 3:06pm On Aug 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

-Oyo state Ibadan is the largest city in sub-saharan Africa and its also the political capital of yoruba land. It also boasts of a huge population
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by FreeGlobe(f): 3:07pm On Aug 24, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Yorubaland has the highest number of industries and universties in Nigeria yet some illetrate creek thugs say you cannot survive without them

Three states in Yorubalnd : Lagos, Ogun & Ondo all have access to the Atlantic Ocean yet some gorillas from a gulley eroded, redu muded, landlocked region say you cannot survive without them.

Then why is yoruba not fighting to seccede with all these? Must we be together with you parasites

11 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
[quote author=MrPresident1 post=37286630][/quote]

thanks. i'll edit that
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by UtakoCrescent: 3:17pm On Aug 24, 2015
yes good
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by zuchyblink(m): 3:17pm On Aug 24, 2015
what will happen to Odua Republic if Igbos move their ladipo,Alaba and their companies back to Biafra and the population reduces? Don't u think that the foreign companies will follow Igbos down to Biafra? I can't wait for lagos to compete with Bayelsa,Aba,Asaba,PH, onitsha,akwa ibom and calabar

5 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 3:18pm On Aug 24, 2015
FreeGlobe:

Then why is yoruba not fighting to seccede with all these? Must we be together with you parasites
you asked a brilliant question but typical of you fl'atheaded ibo dunce' you reveled your impoliteness by refering your mother as a parasite.

If your deranged ibo brain isnt filled with soured Akpu, you would have known that secession isnt a mean feat in todays world Geo-Politics. Heck, a case for referendum/plebiscite which is a first step in actualising secession, is not even included in the Nigerian consititution, so were do we start from?

Let it also sink into your thick skull for the umpteenth time that the Yoruba's are not forcing you to be with them. We rarely go to your cursed land, you locusts are the ones that have turned our region to some sort of Mecca

9 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 24, 2015
My biggest fear for this thread is that some people will mess it up and they haven't dissapointed me. i don't know why these people are so obsessed with us. must they comment? Ha!

1 Like

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by EasternLion: 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2015
Can you people now discuss odua and don't talk dirty about Biafra.

Biafra ga-egbu unu, one by one.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by yorubatic: 4:17pm On Aug 24, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Yorubaland has the highest number of industries and universties in Nigeria yet some illiterate creek thugs say you cannot survive without them

Three states in Yorubalnd : Lagos, Ogun & Ondo all have access to the Atlantic Ocean yet some gorillas from a gulley eroded, red muded, landlocked region say you cannot survive without them.

Now let start agitating for odua republic where there will not be illiterate creek thugs and gorillas from Gulley eroded red muded landlocked region....

Isn't cowardice that we have all the wealth in Nigeria, yet we can do without those we so much hate...I think we are pathetic and confused lots...

Join me to campaign for a sophisticated and progressive Odu'a republic

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by ARIZONA123(m): 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2015
Cc:Generalbloodykiller,Buddhamonk aka Anambra dota
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by ARIZONA123(m): 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2015
Cc:Generalbloodykiller,Buddhamonk aka anambradota. Nice thread mr Olusola
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by WIZGUY69(m): 4:54pm On Aug 24, 2015
FreeGlobe:

grin grin

the real parasitic flatheaded akpu infested brain is calling there colonial masters parasite.
yeye de smell.
product of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by FreeGlobe(f): 4:58pm On Aug 24, 2015
WIZGUY69:

grin grin

the real parasitic flatheaded akpu infested brain is calling there colonial masters parasite.
yeye de smell.
product of Biafra.
How come the colonial masters are still stuck in the colonial era in their vallages while the rest of us have moved on. Why did the colonial masters abandon their cocoa for SE oil?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by WIZGUY69(m): 5:24pm On Aug 24, 2015
FreeGlobe:

How come the colonial masters are still stuck in the colonial era in their vallages while the rest of us have moved on. Why did the colonial masters abandon their cocoa for SE oil?

grin grin

You have started again
do you want to compare your hamlets with western cities?

I don't think so.
moved on to where, the last time I checked, the only tarred road in Ebonyi state is the road leading to GOVT house abakaliki.
out of the five states in the east. all your states are erosion ravaged grin
I will still say it that the only state in the west that can be compared with your alaibo state is Ekiti.
Yoruba's are better than iboes in all aspect.
sorry for the bad. news. cool

u and your accursed lands should go to hell.

5 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by jemir000: 5:29pm On Aug 24, 2015
I vote for an odudua state only..if u r with me, click 'like'...odudua descendants only pls...let's bring down the 'brown roof caliphate called Ibadan...let's stop Abobakuism...Oduduwa...let's stop omonileism...odudua d great!..let's show d ibos dat we are more than meat sellers and 'agbo jedi jedi' sellers...let's show them dat our oba is more than just d oba of lagoon, but d oba of odudua...odudua..I hail thee...odudua...odudua..let's let them know we have nice foods like amala and not just ritualism... odudua d great.let dem know dat kwara, Ilorin isn't just for the north, but for us too...oduduwa...d land of orisa...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by zuchyblink(m): 5:29pm On Aug 24, 2015
Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by Olabestonic001(m): 5:30pm On Aug 24, 2015
Pls, OP, don't play to the gallery. S/Sudan thought for years without end, got her independence and are even worse-off ditto Libya thinking killing Ghadaffi will make them great of Iraq thinking Saddam demise will achieve much. If you people (yes any of those clamoring for secession) cant develop your states and regions with politicians and cabals always hijacking processes, I can vouch that we wont be better splitting. We would even be worst. The cabals will still hijack the new formations or new cabals will be formed.

If we cant strife to be better together now, we would be worst away from each other.
Lets mount eagle's wings and see how great WE as NIGERIANS can soar.

2 Likes

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by disumusa: 5:39pm On Aug 24, 2015
FreeGlobe:

when you are pleased with your condition, so why seccede.
Its ibo that are felt maginalised that there cup of tea

1 Like

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by FreeGlobe(f): 5:41pm On Aug 24, 2015
WIZGUY69:

grin grin

You have started again
do you want to compare your hamlets with western cities?

I don't think so.
moved on to where, the last time I checked, the only tarred road in Ebonyi state is the road leading to GOVT house abakaliki.
out of the five states in the east. all your states are erosion ravaged grin
I will still say it that the only state in the west that can be compared with your alaibo state is Ekiti.
Yoruba's are better than iboes in all aspect.
sorry for the bad. news. cool

u and your accursed lands should go to hell.

Osun City Nigeria 2015

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Potentials Of Yorubaland by FreeGlobe(f): 5:42pm On Aug 24, 2015
disumusa:
when you are pleased with your condition, so why seccede.
Its ibo that are felt maginalised that there cup of tea
why are you pleased? What are you bringing to the table? We want to secede from you parasites

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Katsina Government Deducts 3% Of Worker Salaries To Rebuild Burnt Central Market / Moghalu: Refusal Of Buhari's Ministers To Resign Indicates Selfishness / Sultan Of Sokoto Denies Endorsing Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.