Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job (42828 Views)

4 Reasons You Should Start A Side Hustle As A Working Class Nigerian / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job!!! - See More At: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Nobody: 4:57am On Aug 25, 2015
I totally concur to OP's assertions because I had a first-hand experience of this. That was during my NYSC year when I served in a private school! I taught basic science, Js1 to JS3, Physics and Chemistry, SS1 to SS2, sometimes mathematics too. Then the school didn't have SS3. Lesson notes, diary and class register to be marked, not forgetting to mention weekend classes for the students tooo! Despite all these, I was still owed 3 months salary till today. And it was even #7000 they were paying corps members then. Towards the end of my service year, they said they would like me to continue with them, how much should they pay me? I said #25000, knowing fully well that there is no way they were going to agree, what they offered to pay was #10,000 which I declined.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Emmacolinho(m): 5:32am On Aug 25, 2015
What will happen when the desirable is not available @op? Well, i teach in a private school which is close to my house and am paid promptly. #No_delay
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by TessaJ: 6:30am On Aug 25, 2015
ladyF:
Oh my....really? shocked
Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
ode
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by ayodeji84: 6:50am On Aug 25, 2015
*Staff* not *Staffs* in your No 7
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Kofho: 7:09am On Aug 25, 2015
Seriously I agree with all these point Cux am in d system n I know how it is

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Kazrem(m): 7:29am On Aug 25, 2015
Emasky4real:

Source:http://taiwoemayosan..com/2015/08/8-reasons-you-should-never-take-private.html

Your comments are welcomed below.
A high-energy
motivation speaker
saying this thrash? I am highly disappointed. This is true but discouraging.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Nobody: 7:55am On Aug 25, 2015
thanks op , you are really on point. am submitting mai resignation letter tommorow.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by YoungShaDiao: 8:32am On Aug 25, 2015
I agree with you

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Elowhite8(m): 9:41am On Aug 25, 2015
Your points are crystal clear.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by lokun(m): 10:41am On Aug 25, 2015
i quite agree with you.....no wonder my girlfriend that teaches in on of these school in Ikorodu kept disturbing me for money. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by ugochukwu15(m): 11:06am On Aug 25, 2015
akatekpe:
. Young man,go and sit down. I am very sure,your dad or uncle is one of those selfish,wicked,greedy and opportunist proprietor of a mushroom school they always name ACADEMY,INTERNATIONAL and co without proper arrangements for staff welfare. Which passion are you talking about here? You are one of those who believes teachers reward is in heaven.A school administrator my foot.

You have just spoken my mind! Looking at his handle he doesn't look as he claims. He sounds like the type that has no choice but as to do of what he's been told.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by ohworode20: 11:35am On Aug 25, 2015
9. Some of the schools even sap the only energy left in you through ceaseless marathon prayers! They care so little about your faith and state of mind. Its either you are praying or you are pretending to be praying.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by gibzzhd: 11:35am On Aug 25, 2015
akpakoboy:
True talk. Still been owned for july. August salary is a no go area. Earliest time to be paid is first week of October. That's three months wait. Its frustrating.
3months lolz some civil servants hv not recieved salariés for 6months
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by ohworode20: 11:37am On Aug 25, 2015
10. You must be unduly and excessively obsequious and anything short of that means you are proud and there is zero tolerance for that. And they sack you and you don't have any savings at all to pursue your case to a logical conclusion in a competent court of jurisdiction so you accept your fate. So sad.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by dukekeata(m): 11:39am On Aug 25, 2015
I kind of agree with the OP but I think we are 100 percent responsible for whatever we become. As a graduate in the labour market I embraced teaching as a means of livelihood and started earning as low as 8k. As months turned into years I fell in love with the profession but still had a big question mark (Which was how do I pay the bills with this new found love?) I started a little survey and realised that most schools on the mainland pay a paltry amount to teachers so I took my experience to the Island. On arrival, I noticed a lot of difference in the mode of teaching as they used a different curriculum. So I had to change my strategies, upgraded myself to fit into my new discovery and now I earn exactly 30 times the amount of what I use to earn ( with a lot of benefits). I am an educationalist and i am proud. Don't give up teachers!!!
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Lolaabokoku(f): 11:50am On Aug 25, 2015
Still better than being idle

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by crazygod(m): 1:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
akatekpe:
. Young man,go and sit down. I am very sure,your dad or uncle is one of those selfish,wicked,greedy and opportunist proprietor of a mushroom school they always name ACADEMY,INTERNATIONAL and co without proper arrangements for staff welfare. Which passion are you talking about here? You are one of those who believes teachers reward is in heaven.A school administrator my foot.

And u feel like u've given a reply now? Lazy mentality
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by markchidex: 2:35pm On Aug 25, 2015
de skul owners does wat dey like, if its not good 4 u quit cool
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Emasky4real(m): 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
I want to say thank you to the moderator for moving this thread to the front page. I also want to appreciate everyone who has taken their time to read this post and for commenting. I will react briefly to some of the comments.

• That people write thrash just to get on front page: If you are hurt by this article, I am sorry about that. My intention was never to get on front page but to share the experience most private school teachers are going through, but fortunately it was moved to the front page. The post was meant for my blog, I only share it on nairaland for the benefit of others.

• That the post is discouraging: Yea, it may be discouraging for those who are victims of the truth of my post. However, that the post is discouraging does not eliminate the reality of the content of the post. I agree that it is not a bad idea to start with a private school teaching job, my emphasis lies in the fact that the probability of going far in life via these private schools is very slim.

• That my points are not true for all schools: Anyone who properly read and understood the content of this post will never raised a point of this kind. I indicated in my first point “poor salary” that some schools pay good salaries to their staff, but such school constitute only 2% of the private schools in Nigeria. I went ahead to write that my article focuses on the remaining 98%. 90% percent of the private school teachers in Nigeria can bear witness to the points raised in this article, and will ever accept them to be true.

• That the article is not complete because I didn’t suggest alternative means of survival: That point is true, I intended to write on the conditions that should make one to take a private school teaching job as part of the post, but I assume people will find it too long, so I decided to stop where I stopped. Truth be told, one can start life with anything, but you must know where your life is going. Imagine a graduate who finished school at 28, by the time gets out of NYSC he would have hit age 30, that is if he or she was mobilized on time for NYSC. At that age the society is already expecting much from him, like having his own apartment, getting a decent job, and starting a family. Now imagine such a person still living with his parents or a friend and doing this type of job that has little or no future prospect for him. At what age will he become a man? The point I have made indirectly in this article is to take the bull by the horn and do something that can fetch you money and has the potential of becoming big instead of slaving away. Teaching in a private school to raise a capital is not a bad idea, but taking it as your job will never get you anywhere. I have written some unpublished thought-provoking articles that will serve as answers to the way forward for young graduates, I hope to publish them soon on my blog and if possible share them on nairaland.

• That the points are true: Anyone who has at any point in life taught in any of these school, or has a friend, sibling or neighbor who has done will agree that the point raised are absolutely true.

• Finally I observe some persons raised points which have been addressed in the post already. I suggest that people should learn to read and digest any post properly before commenting. If not so, your comment will be nothing but the exposure of your own foolishness. Even the bible says, ‘’ a fool is considered wise when he keeps quiet.’’

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by MyMentor: 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2015
It be like say dey don show u pepper.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Samuel2337(m): 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2015
crazygod:
Guess that's what's killing the youths of this country. The Op definitely has a lazy mentality. So u think the points you brought up are enough to tell someone not to work in a private school? Oya go look for job in public school na if them go employ u.
Based on experience, working in a private school hands u a flexible time where u can still do ur own stuffs.
U can work part-time in different schools and still earn what all those banks dey pay their employees if u add up all incomes earned (if u're looking at it from a financial point of view)... But truth be told, the main reason why you (op) brought up this reasons is because u aint an educationist. Try setting up ur own private schools and come back here to tell me how easy it is to run it.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by tpiander: 5:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
Emasky4real:
I want to say thank you to the MOD for moving this thread to the front page.

undecided

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by akatekpe(m): 7:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
ugochukwu15:

You have just spoken my mind! Looking at his handle he doesn't look as he claims. He sounds like the type that has no choice but as to do of what he's been told.
Exactly my bro..dat guy sounds so annoying.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Ashure: 11:29pm On Aug 25, 2015
Ademat7:
u need to see hw ma parent will explain hw lazy u are
I will sure make them understand that working hard doesn't make one rich. but working smart does. barrow pushers work really hard u know.
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by baggy4luv(m): 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2015
gidjah:
Did u get it bro?had to remove it fast.
nope
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by baggy4luv(m): 1:21pm On Aug 26, 2015
gidjah:
Sorry bro Segun, i use a Windows and an i phone o, so i don't DO BBM.(0803)
o8otwozerosix93one42

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Nwanna2588: 6:53pm On Aug 26, 2015
This is a bitter truth. Those of us that have passed through the system can attest to the fact that most private schools are worse than depicted here.

All through my university days, I was teaching. I was praying for an early graduation those days so I can quit. I was disillusioned and vowed not to ever advise anybody to take such job.

What I hated most was the cheating going on during external exams. A travesty of education! Those proprietors who are encouraging that cheating will never have rest of mind. Thank God that people are now returning their certificate to WAEC because of cheating.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by gidjah(m): 10:27pm On Aug 26, 2015
baggy4luv:
o8otwozerosix93one42
got that sir,would add u up on my whatsapp
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by gidjah(m): 10:27pm On Aug 26, 2015
baggy4luv:
o8otwozerosix93one42
got that sir,would add u up on my whatsap
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Stephenomozzy(m): 12:08am On Aug 28, 2015
Rapmoney:
How many years do you want him (the Op) to ponder on this issue before he makes a conclusion? 10 years or 20 years? What the young man posted is basically the fact!!! Be a realist! wink

Yes Sah!
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Emasky4real(m): 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2015
Truth is timeless
Re: 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job by Emasky4real(m): 8:02am On Oct 22, 2015
It you fail to determine result, result has a way of determining themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peace Ibekwe Abdallah Promoted To Assistant IG Of Police. Photos / Female Keke Driver Spotted In Enugu (Pictures) / What Skills Have You Learnt That Can Earn You Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.