Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1750) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4353626 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1747) (1748) (1749) (1750) (1751) (1752) (1753) ... (3657) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:41am On Nov 13, 2020
One4me:

Well done Bro, you are flying already.

I will suggest:
1) you have to use an "Angle Ruler" to ensure that the angles between the location l marked as "B" in the picture, are exactly 90-degrees and the short irons are perpendicular to the rectangular shape they are welded to, to get a true 90-degrees.
2) the short pipes are either the same size/width as the ones used to get those rectangular shapes. to really bring out the beauty for the design.

Just my 2cents, but you are really 'the man'.
yes. I haven't fully welded that particular one. It was the first prototype I did and believe me it wasn't easy. I used a bit of light to hold it together. A tap of hammer will remove the whole pipes. The distance between two areas you marked is 5" but I later reduced it to 4" on the subsequent build. I intend to fix the issue you raised on getting to work today.

Another thing is that on ground level, it all looks out of shape but when elevated to the desired angle, it looks as it should. But I appreciate your eagle eyes. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:53am On Nov 13, 2020
QSFemi:
I checked where I did the calculations again, the total blocks you need to the lintel level for the main building ground floor is 2731 blocks for 9-inch block while you need 914 blocks (9-inch) for the BQ and also 262 blocks (6-inch), also for the BQ.

In summary, the total blocks needed for the ground floor is 3907 blocks to the lintel level.

Interesting!

Ladyteeks, if I were you I’d consider engaging a QS to mange this type of project since you’re not fully on ground

If a middleman is involved, I’ll also disengage such person. They do more harm than good.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uchemac2: 4:05am On Nov 13, 2020
Need concrete stamp or paving stones in your Estate or Compound?
Let Sheba Constructions Africa handle it!
For quality Concrete stamp or interlocking stones,
call +2348160838898

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ladyteeks: 5:41am On Nov 13, 2020
I am really grateful for your input.
Well detailed too.
God bless you

One4me:

I am just happy for you, l know its a bigger challenge when a lady is building though l expect that service providers will be less aggressive on them, with pricing.
Consider engaging QSFem for a fee, to supervise what you are doing, if you will, l believe you will get the long term benefit and l hope he also can oblige. Your project seems sizable and complete carcass is just about 40% + or - 5% of your total cost, so l wont like any cut-throat Service Provider to take you to the cleaners.

Caveat: the above is just my opinion, dont know him, never met him but l have been impressed by his conduct and service to many members here. Perhaps l am just feeling funky and a little drunk today, who knows. shocked shocked grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ladyteeks: 5:44am On Nov 13, 2020
I totally agree with you. It's very discouraging when you decide to do something good and all people care about is ripping you off.

n3xt:

Interesting!

Ladyteeks, if I were you I’d consider engaging a QS to mange this type of project since you’re not fully on ground

If a middleman is involved, I’ll also disengage such person. They do more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:11am On Nov 13, 2020
ladyteeks:
I totally agree with you. It's very discouraging when you decide to do something good and all people care about is ripping you off.

It’s indeed a very sorry case. That’s why I’m more focused on construction hires these days.

Terrible people everywhere!

I think something can be done to stop all these issues if we really want to.

_____
We have the people right here. We just need to build a system that works - even if it’s for a fee.
We can build apps for construction estimation. We can build proper site for project management. We can setup sites for supplier/tradespeople/artisans/contractors/builders verification.

We keep talking about these issues but I can’t really see any concrete action to stop it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:34am On Nov 13, 2020
n3xt:

It’s indeed a very sorry case. That’s why I’m more focused on construction hires these days.

_____
We have the people right here. We just need to build a system that works - even if it’s for a fee.
We can build apps for construction estimation. We can build proper site for project management. We can setup sites for supplier/tradespeople/artisans/contractors/builders verification.

We keep talking about these issues but I can’t really see any concrete action to stop it.

Few years back, I tried working on a mobile app that addresses most of these issues but I really don’t know why I stopped.

The app allows the client to do the following:
- to remotely monitor projects (track progress and live view)
- materials estimation
- document management (specification list etc)
- cost tracking
- view the project schedule (milestones completed, ongoing...)
- video-chat feature
- export/save projects

I think I stopped while working on banks that can provide BGs and LCs.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 6:44am On Nov 13, 2020
cheesy grincheesy
One4me:

No be only you Bro, perhaps my sense of beauty will come back, when l start hawking Black Tiles aggressively. shocked grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 6:47am On Nov 13, 2020
OK sir.
demanuel:

Please let us not turn the conversation to another thing and derail this thread. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 13, 2020
QSFemi:
I checked where I did the calculations again, the total blocks you need to the lintel level for the main building ground floor is 2731 blocks for 9-inch block while you need 914 blocks (9-inch) for the BQ and also 262 blocks (6-inch), also for the BQ.

In summary, the total blocks needed for the ground floor is 3907 blocks to the lintel level.

Are you sure of this calculation?
Did you include the blocks after lintel because that is also blockwork?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 7:21am On Nov 13, 2020
Good observation
One4me:

Well done Bro, you are flying already.

I will suggest:
1) you have to use an "Angle Ruler" to ensure that the angles between the location l marked as "B" in the picture, are exactly 90-degrees and the short irons are perpendicular to the rectangular shape they are welded to, to get a true 90-degrees.
2) the short pipes are either the same size/width as the ones used to get those rectangular shapes. to really bring out the beauty for the design.

Just my 2cents, but you are really 'the man'.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 7:24am On Nov 13, 2020
Good idea!
n3xt:

_____

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 8:07am On Nov 13, 2020
Ladyteeks, I also share the idea that you should consider employing the services of QSFemi. Some of these middle men are terrible - it's everywhere irrespective of location. Atimes, I use to wonder if they have a national association where they discuss and devise means on how to rip off their clients of hard earned monies.

n3xt:

Interesting!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bakin3(m): 8:24am On Nov 13, 2020
Call us for your bio digester construction(Modern Soakaway). Quick to install. No waste removal. Doesn't contaminate ground water . Little space. Check my signature.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 9:58am On Nov 13, 2020
Good Day professionals in the house can someone help me with the price of the following in Ibeju/lekki axis

30 tons granite
20 tons sharp sand
12 mm 1/2 ton
10 mm 1/4 ton
I was told the price of cement in the area is now #3500 per bag
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:13am On Nov 13, 2020
One4me:

Please dont just give out phone numbers, mention the @username so we know who you are recommending.
We must be our brother's keeper, on this thread.
Sir, he is not oon Nairaland. An indian company. I also take responsibility for what i post....

A very good point you raise.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mobileboy: 10:14am On Nov 13, 2020
recently got a land of 40 by 60 feet in Lagos, the land is expensive (you know Lagos land na) and I intend to recoup some of my money through rent

I'm considering the type of structure that can be erected and I need the input of professional here

I intend building a 2-story building with:

i) The ground floor of 2bedroom flat (and one self-contain - if possible) with front packing space (2-3 cars max)
ii) the First floor of 2 unit of 2 bedroom flat
iii) Second-floor one-unit of standard 3 bedroom with store, dining

is this possible with the land size?
please can you suggest any better combinations?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:18am On Nov 13, 2020
Dijita:
Good Day professionals in the house can someone help me with the price of the following in Ibeju/lekki axis

30 ton granite
20 ton sharp sand
12 mm 12 ton
10 mm 1/4 ton
I was told the price of cement in the area is now #3500 per bag
30tons Granite ₦235k from Abeokuta while ₦210k from Ijebu
Sharp is ₦55k
Iron rod Local-Local @₦260k
HiTec & TMT @₦295k
Tiger @₦310k
Cement same as ₦3500
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:20am On Nov 13, 2020
mobileboy:
recently got a land of 40 by 60 feet in Lagos, the land is expensive (you know Lagos land na) and I intend to recoup some of my money through rent

I'm considering the type of structure that can be erected and I need the input of professional here

i) The ground floor of 2bedroom flat (and one self-contain - if possible) with front packing space (2-3 cars max)

post ur survey to guide archy on the forum.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:22am On Nov 13, 2020
Further to my training on marine board as framing wood, what width should I cut it down to? Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darelar(m): 10:29am On Nov 13, 2020
yinkaoke:
Thanks so much, but wouldn't that be that they will break the tiles again to fix WC's?

No but they must have laid the pipe before the flooring. After the tiles, they can screwed the WC to the ground or use mixture of cement to hold it. Your plumber know what to do but the cement is the best and most durable.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larry1960: 10:39am On Nov 13, 2020
Pls current price of 9" block and one length of y12 mm rod
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 10:44am On Nov 13, 2020
Chekitaut:
which is 4 in 1? grin grin grin
Granite is in tons 10, 15, 20, 30tons categories.

Just mention your location & get price of above .
15 or 20 tons of 3/4 ( three quarter ) stones
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 13, 2020
mobileboy:

Do you have the survey plan?
If no, are the corners of your plot at 90degrees?
Let me know so I can guide you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 13, 2020
Larry1960:
Pls current price of 9" block and one length of y12 mm rod

12mm rod is N2,900 and the cost of 9" block depends on the location.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larry1960: 10:52am On Nov 13, 2020
segzy14:

12mm rod is N2,900 and the cost of 9" block depends on the location.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mobileboy: 10:58am On Nov 13, 2020
segzy14:

Do you have the survey plan?
If no, are the corners of your plot at 90degrees?
Let me know so I can guide you.

Thanks for your response

I don't have a survey plan yet

the corner of the land is 90 degree
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mobileboy: 11:00am On Nov 13, 2020
Chekitaut:
post ur survey to guide archy on the forum.

thanks for your reply, unfortunately, I'm yet to do the survey plan

the corners of the land are 90 degree
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 11:32am On Nov 13, 2020
mobileboy:

Do you have the land dimensions from the(survey) & is the land a perfect rectangle.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mobileboy: 12:03pm On Nov 13, 2020
raymondFirstborn:

Do you have the land dimensions from the(survey) & is the land a perfect rectangle.

Unfortunately, the survey is yet to be done but it's a perfect rectangle of 40 by 60
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by feedthenation(m): 12:58pm On Nov 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve been here now full time for 22 months.

I say the following with no joy and I expect to catch clack for it.

Here goes:

Nigeria can never be good. All what we can do is find a way to exist within the chaos. Anyone that is expecting vast changes will just die in vain.

Addition:

When I was a toddler, the same issues that I grew up hearing my father complain about is still here. Olopa wahala, armed robbers, government, bribery, oppression, etc. Here we are in 2020 and we’re still on the matter.

The average citizen is a corrupt and ungovernable mfer.

To bring this back on topic. My father lost a plot of land to some Alhadji in Iwo Road in the early 70’s. Fast forward to 2020, people are still loosing land.

Armed robbers are writing letters to community to gather donations. Insurgents are being settled by farmers so they don’t cause havoc.

My micro estate is designed around the Lagos/Ibadan railroad. Guess what, most of the hardware that holds the actual rail line has been stolen already.

Fela died for nothing, his mother died for nothing. No change. Buhari jailed Fela in the 80’s as head of state, Buhari is president today.

---Sir, you have spoken well---the situation on ground is create your own clear path out of the chaos---

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Essquare(m): 1:05pm On Nov 13, 2020
Good day fellow nairalanders/ professionals in the house. My questions is what is the difference between using plywood and plank for decking campentery work. Their pros and cons as well. I need your honest contributions please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1747) (1748) (1749) (1750) (1751) (1752) (1753) ... (3657) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.