Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2176) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4353570 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2173) (2174) (2175) (2176) (2177) (2178) (2179) ... (3657) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 3:04pm On May 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m very specific where I buy and sell land. I like hilltops with a view of valleys. A client wanted a land that a river runs through. I had to tactically remove myself from the deal.

By the way, my exposure to the American engineering culture has shown me that humans are only limited by their individual thinking. If you want it or like it, you can attain it. Handily. Only us Nigerians automatically out a monetary value to it.

I rest.
The American culture must be why you avoid wetlands too right?

But I would not mind an underground tank though, only that Lagos lands to me get as e be.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 3:06pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:
doing a tank stand is very expensive right now and I'm telling you because it's my business line. However I don't know about installing one inside your building but that's old school sha

How expensive? My welder is quoting 300k for me for a 3inch pipe, 23feet long, U channel, grater surface on which the tank still sit on.

something like this.

is it not too expensive? I was hoping with 150k I'll achieve this ��‍♂️

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 3:06pm On May 03, 2021
NairaIand:
I install stamped concrete in Lagos and environs. You can check my thread for more designs.
https://www.nairaland.com/4450471/stamped-concrete-4500-flat-per

Interesting.. Wouldn't mind something like this on a small portion though..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:31pm On May 03, 2021
kopell:
How @ bold when it in covered roof?
Covered? No.
Always open to the atmosphere.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:33pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:
underground tank will always need electric to enable you use the water
And that's something to be considered in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:34pm On May 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m not even connecting to NEPA at all. All solar all the time.
Ok. Good one sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:34pm On May 03, 2021
amosblisz:

How expensive? My welder is quoting 300k for me for a 3inch pipe, 23feet long, U channel, grater surface on which the tank still sit on.

something like this.

3" pipe to handle the weight of water tank.

Good luck with that
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:37pm On May 03, 2021
uncleteeh:

And that's something to be considered in Nigeria.
one reason people do standing tank is because once you pump water up to the tank, you don't have to worry about water pressure and usage again
amosblisz:

something like this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:39pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:
one reason people do standing tank is because once you pump water up to the tank, you don't have to worry about water pressure and usage again
Exactly, because electricity is a big mess here but in as much baba Ègún has gotten a better alternative, it's good to do such.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 4:19pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:
3" pipe to handle the weight of water tank.

Good luck with that

Is 3" inch steel pipe too small to stand a tank?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:20pm On May 03, 2021
Which of them will you go for when considering a dwarf fence?

I am trying to decide here.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 4:21pm On May 03, 2021
amosblisz:

something like this.

I don’t think you 23 feet high for bungalow, the highest I did for bungalow is 18 feet with the hight of the tank, probably another 4feet or so with very very good pressure.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:26pm On May 03, 2021
somehow:

The American culture must be why you avoid wetlands too right?

But I would not mind an underground tank though but Lagos lands to me get as e be.

Yes but in a different way.

In the USA we can build anywhere because you the owner is not just building a house. It’s you, the city and in some cases local government guy that’s building the house grin

The city will ensure that you build to code and they’ll inspect routinely.

So I know the right way to build a foundation that will be in water for 35 years. It’ll be cost prohibitive here in Nigeria. So I don’t want to risk my company name on future issues - I avoid water. I’m not just selling land, I’m selling relationships. I rely on repeat customers and referrals.

I don’t do Lagos at all but the water issues as we both acknowledge can be overcome but at what cost?

I read on here that the foundation to one building in Lagos was N15M. In Ibadan we’ve finished building with that budget in most places grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:42pm On May 03, 2021
amosblisz:

Is 3" inch steel pipe too small to stand a tank?
I haven't worked with anything like that. If your tank fall, you will blame the welder forgetting that you the client went for a cheaper deal

Here's sample of what I have done for a member here

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 4:59pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:
I haven't worked with anything like that. If your tank fall, you will blame the welder forgetting that you the client went for a cheaper deal

I think you can advise him. That's the essence of the thread.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:44pm On May 03, 2021
folmus:

I think you can advise him. That's the essence of the thread.
bro I have said it here numerous times that the quality of pipes is dropping daily. I even posted pictures of such failures where the tank fell here.

I'm sorry if you feel I didn't explain the situation well for him

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 5:45pm On May 03, 2021
@Doyen1, This is a continuation of my previous post as regards the procurement methods in operation.

Now that consultants (Architect, Civil or Structural, Mechanical and Electrical or Project management as the case may be) have been appointed and carried out their respective obligations, the next step under the traditional procurement method is selection of a contractor. A contractor is a construction or engineering organisation, in this context, that possesses technical know-how, equipment, competence and experience to convert the client's briefs on paper to reality. This process of selecting a cocontractors generally accepted as tendering or bidding.

The following tendering or bidding methods can be used to select suitable contractor vis-à-vis;

1) Open or competitive tendering. Under this method, the bidding process is open to any interested contractor to bid or tender for the proposed project after the payment of a certain sum called the tender fee. Advertisement for invitation of contractor will be carried out on 2 or more national dailies, construction or engineering journals inviting interesting contractors to tender for the project. The documents that the bidding contractors will be given, upon showing interest for the project by paying a tender fee, include working drawings of the project (architectural, civil or structural, mechanical and electrical) and unpriced bill of quantities prepared by the consultant Quantity Surveyor firm. Recall that the consulting quantity surveying firm has already established a project cost for the project though the bill of quantities. During this tendering stage, it's the unpriced bill of quantities that will be given to all the bidding contractors. An unpriced bill of quantities comprise only description and quantities of items that make up the project but not including rate and amount. This provides a uniform basis for the bidding contractors since the description and quantities of items in the project are all the same. Each contractor will go ahead to price (insertion of rates and amount) their bill of quantities and submit a tender sum for the project. This means that all the bidding contractors are likely to submit different tender sum (estimated construction cost) for the project since none of them have access to the competing contractor's bid. This is the biggest advantage of this tendering method because as bidding contractors submit different cost for the project. After all the contractors have submitted their closed bids, then a day will be chosen by the client and consultants for the bid opening. On the bid opening day, all the contractors that tendered for the project must all be represented by their staff members during which all the bids will be opened and the tender sum of each contractor will be announced to the hearing of all contractors that bid for the project. In practice, the project will be awarded to the LEAST RESPONSIVE BIDDER. The project is not to be awarded to the least bidder but the least responsive bidder which is determined by the consultant quantity surveyor. The rationale behind this is that some contractors, out of protracted lack of project, will wittingly reduce their tender sum reasonably lower in order to win the job. If the job is awarded to such a contractor at an unrealistic amount, the client will suffer the consequences.

Once the job is awarded to the successful contractor, contract documentation can be done and mobilization can be paid by the client and work can commence on site. This method has its disadvantages too but that's beyond the scope of this treatise.

2) Selected tendering. As the name implies, this tendering method is only open to contractors that are selected to tender for the proposed project. This method is particularly useful for projects that involve very high technical know-how or experience that's beyond the reach of everyday contractor. However, it's still competitive in the sense that even the selected contractors will have to tender for the project before the project will be awarded to the least responsive contractor.

3) Negotiated tendering. Under this method, only one contractor is invited to tender and subsequently execute the job. This is applicable to projects that requires high secrecy such as construction of Aso Rock (State house) etc.

4) Serial tendering. This is a variant of the competitive tendering. The distinction is that it involves tendering of a job of a similar character, for instance, prototype projects.

My next post will dwell on other procurement methods.

QSFemi:
Good afternoon from my end here.

This is a procurement problem and many solutions are in practice depending on many factors. I won't make it an academic treatise, however, I'll do justice to it in my own way.

The following are the procurement options or methods in operation.

1) Traditional or Open procurement method.

Under this method, the first thing that should be done is nomination of consultants. The consultants could involve an architectural firm, a quantity surveying firm,civil or structural engineering firm, electrical and mechanical engineering firm and a project t management firm depending on the project. Appointment of any of this consultant can be done in two ways - either through nomination/selection or through competitive method. By nomination/selection, I mean you can invite reputable firms to undertake the consultancy of the project. On the other hand, you could advertise the need for consultancy in 2 or 3 national dailies, tender's board journals or construction journals for any interested consulting firm to apply. Thereby, successful firms can be nominated.

When the job of nomination of consultancy have been done, then we move to design of the project which is the primary responsibility of the appointed consultants. If it's a building project, the architect takes the briefs and commence schematic designs to be approved by the client before embarking on working drawings. The quantity surveying firm should also be involved at this design stage to ensure that the consulting architect isn't designing out of budgets.

If it's a civil engineering projects such as roads or railway, then the consulting civil engineering firm will be in charge of the design.

At this stage, all the appointed consultancy firms must have been done with their working drawings - architectural, civil or structural, electrical and mechanical drawings. All these working drawings will now be handed over to the consulting quantity surveying firm to produce firm bill of quantities which will itemise cost of materials, labour, equipment, overheads, preliminaries and other necessary cost that the project entails. That means that we now have the working drawings and the projected budget (The quantity surveyor's estimated cost) for the project. With this information, we're now armed with the designs of the projects and projected cost. Then, we can now proceed to tendering or bidding.

I'll send in the tendering part in my next post.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cuddling44(f): 5:48pm On May 03, 2021
[quote author=diordaves post=101337023]

As you have already done PROPER survey, I think you are getting worried for nothing. I know our government no get sense, but government don't just wake up and start demolishing people's homes.

Go ahead with the development of your plot

Thanks so much sir : smiley

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:01pm On May 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Yes but in a different way.

In the USA we can build anywhere because you the owner is not just building a house. It’s you, the city and in some cases local guy that’s building the house grin

The city will ensure that you build to code and they’ll inspect routinely.

So I know the right way to build a foundation that will be in water for 35 years. It’ll be cost prohibitive here in Nigeria. So I don’t want to risk my company name on future issues - I avoid water. I’m not just selling land, I’m selling relationships. I rely on repeat customers and referrals.

I don’t do Lagos at all but the water issues as we both acknowledge can be overcome but at what cost?

I read on here that the foundation to one building in Lagos was N15M. In Ibadan we’ve finished building with that budget in most places grin

True with the 15m analogy but it will also cost more to build in California than in Rhode Island.

And at the Bolded. it's an expensive truth!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:12pm On May 03, 2021
Good evening everyone. I'm creating something beautiful on this thread and will want you to take out a minute of your busy schedule to check out the thread. You can ask questions or suggest a better way of doing the job.

https://www.nairaland.com/6533639/making-premium-royal-gate#101350427

Thank you for your time

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 6:16pm On May 03, 2021
Hardwood available for sale call 09039992385 or whatsapp

2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 3x4, 2x6, 1x12
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 6:23pm On May 03, 2021
spyder880:

I think I like the first design, its not as beautiful as the second design but will be very easy to maintain, repaint and even add new features as the years go by.

That second design looks very busy, and therefore might need more care for maintenance than the first.
[/b]Seconded[b]

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:21pm On May 03, 2021
somehow:

True with the 15m analogy but it will also cost more to build in California than in Rhode Island.

And at the Bolded. it's an expensive truth!

I think land value is the major difference.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:25pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:

This is incorrect for my circle.

We are used to certain water pressures from the USA so we add booster pumps.

Hence if I’m going to be doing that then there’s no need for natural weak pressure.

To each his own.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:27pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:

No welder worth his salt should listen to a client on something not safe and structurally deadly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:32pm On May 03, 2021
somehow:
Which of them will you go for when considering a dwarf fence?

I am trying to decide here.

First one is more beautiful and more expensive to build than others.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:37pm On May 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

This is incorrect for my circle.

We are used to certain water pressures from the USA so we add booster pumps.

Hence if I’m going to be doing that then there’s no need for natural weak pressure.

To each his own.
eventually you need power to keep the pump working round the clock. But as you said you already solved your power problem, that shouldn't be a problem for you again
EgunMogaji2:

No welder worth his salt should listen to a client on something not safe and structurally deadly.
Nigeria is a jungle. Most times, what people prioritize is money and not safety. Some vendors, once they hear another person is bringing a quotation, they will redo their initial quotation and trust me most times, the proposed materials takes a hit. And then the client looking to get a bargain deal will want to get the most with the least amount possible.

At the end of the day, the client will suffer from the mishap. Imagine a tank falling on your site and probably killing someone.

I advise people, you can manage doors and rails plus burglaries but please don't manage structures like tanks and pillars of your builds
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:55pm On May 03, 2021
michlins:
eventually you need power to keep the pump working round the clock. But as you said you already solved your power problem, that shouldn't be a problem for you again Nigeria is a jungle. Most times, what people prioritize is money and not safety. Some vendors, once they hear another person is bringing a quotation, they will redo their initial quotation and trust me most times, the proposed materials takes a hit. And then the client looking to get a bargain deal will want to get the most with the least amount possible.

At the end of the day, the client will suffer from the mishap. Imagine a tank falling on your site and probably killing someone.

I advise people, you can manage doors and rails plus burglaries but please don't manage structures like tanks and pillars of your builds

We saw one on here that fell onto a school next property and killed a student.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:03pm On May 03, 2021
uncleteeh:

Covered? No.
Always open to the atmosphere.
Any reason why most it be open please explain
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:06pm On May 03, 2021
amosblisz:

something like this.

@egunmogashi
EgunMogaji2:

We saw one on here that fell onto a school next property and killed a student.
look at this,no bracing supporting the channels. It's an accident waiting to happen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2173) (2174) (2175) (2176) (2177) (2178) (2179) ... (3657) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.