Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2269) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4361953 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2266) (2267) (2268) (2269) (2270) (2271) (2272) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kentucky404: 5:14pm On Jun 16, 2021
hslbroker2:
all I can see here is lack of supervision

Crying more than the bereaved
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kentucky404: 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2021
jiday4:

Can't you keep quiet for once and let the issue be resolve. Haba . Solution you no get , to me you just making noise awon fire 2 geng

Actually he's just an hungry kid, seeking attention.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2021
bobkezel:

I was actually thinking keeping all the rooms same level, ie if I'm stepping down I will step down the whole rooms in the house to be same level . But if I'm not stepping down then no room (including the sitting room) will be stepped down.
So I don't know how it will look like make the whole rooms step down. Any body has similar structures?

So you're envisaging that while the lobby(s) will be stepped up every other section of the house will be stepped down. It will look good. It's all about your choice. But I'll advice if you're doing such, ensure the stepped down is 100mm(4"wink instead of 150mm(6"wink.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2021
bixton:

The best response to your question is to do a "ramp" as part of it to accommodate such for the aged/elderly.

That is why I like this thread, intelligent solutions abound here. I see ramps everyday but usually for access into houses and not indoors or within the house. If I remembered this adaptation during my build- retirement mansion sort of, I would have done the step down design. However, the size of the space must be considerable to accommodate a functional ramp. Its not going to work in a small dinning space as its going to be too sloppy and poses safety risk.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:03pm On Jun 16, 2021
sonnie10:

That wheelchair you are looking at is more expensive than average Nigeria houses. They are out of reach, except you want to sell the house to buy a wheelchair.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:19pm On Jun 16, 2021
[quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=102791324][/quote]

Actually, that phrase was inspired and coined from a similar hilarious comment I read from YouTube. So, this incredibly talented guy made a very nice and expensive kitchen cabinet, I think the price was about $100k plus. People were commending and commenting but there was one that made me laugh. It said, "I will buy this kitchen cabinet and build a house around it."

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:45pm On Jun 16, 2021
Stevo30:
Trust me for a pro-people government, things can be done better. If government work the way it should work, some of the cost in building processes can be reduced. You shouldn'thave to sink your own borehole and have separate septic tanks if there is public water supply and sewage system. Government have resources to build mass housing for the populace. They can create a honest mortgage for people to pay up over like 20-30 years. How do you expect people who earn below 100k monthly to save up to afford 5m to build a house. We also need to review mass building design take care of the reality of our people. Most Nigerians actually don't need more than 1 bedroom (room and palour) or at most 2bedroom apartment. The present mortgage through the national housing fund is a joke. Most contributors can't access the fund because in most instances they don't have proper title over their land.
Please stop this your old ideology for building mass housing. Your cost analysis may not be possible, if government is determined to build homes for its citizens at low cost the, can do it with today technology. Most houses are prefabricated in factories, if Chinese can build 1,500 rooms of emergency hospitals in one week what stop us doing the same. I wish I can upload a video of a community of 500 houses including all its utilities, part ways, recreative center, etc that was built here in 6 months. Please house can be pre-fabricated in factory assembly in 48 hours with the present technology. It is possible to build over 1000 houses in three months. Sorry jare, the reply is for Brabus ooo

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2021
n3xt:

I've lay low on this though.

Even the FG with all concessions and everything cannot build a low cost 2 bedroom house in Nigeria with N5m. A lot of things are easier said than done.

Ogun gov is paying over N2.5m for the foundation of 2 units of 2 flats (direct labour). When you factor in the cost of the land, the shell, the finishing (no matter how cheap you decide to go), the external works (septic tank, tank tower, borehole, fencing. gate etc). You'd understand N5m is nothing when you're considering habitable house in Nigeria.

The elites always underestimate the earning power of the half-educated folks.. so we often assume they're not making anything. Even my bricklayers have more than N5m house.

Let me just give you ideas of what it costs to build an average house in Nigeria grin grin

Do you think anyone can spend anything less than the amount below to achieve a livable house in this age? If yes, kindly remove items you think are unnecessarily expensive from the list.

Land - 500k
Foundation - 700k
Shell - 750k
Roof - 550k
Ceiling - 200k
Windows - 350k
Doors - 200k
Plastering - 400k
Bathroom/Plumbing - 250k
Kitchen - 100k
Flooring - 200k
Electrical - 200k
Septic tank - 200k
Water - 100k
Fence - 200k
Gate - 50k
Please stop this your old ideology for building mass housing. Your cost analysis may not be possible, if government is determined to build homes for its citizens at low cost the, can do it with today technology. Most houses are prefabricated in factories, if Chinese can build 1,500 rooms of emergency hospitals in one week what stop us doing the same. I wish I can upload a video of a community of 500 houses including all its utilities, part ways, recreative center, etc that was built here in 6 months. Please house can be pre-fabricated in factory assembly in 48 hours with the present technology. It is possible to build over 1000 houses in three months.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:01pm On Jun 16, 2021
Stevo30:
Trust me for a pro-people government, things can be done better. If government work the way it should work, some of the cost in building processes can be reduced. You shouldn'thave to sink your own borehole and have separate septic tanks if there is public water supply and sewage system. Government have resources to build mass housing for the populace. They can create a honest mortgage for people to pay up over like 20-30 years. How do you expect people who earn below 100k monthly to save up to afford 5m to build a house. We also need to review mass building design take care of the reality of our people. Most Nigerians actually don't need more than 1 bedroom (room and palour) or at most 2bedroom apartment. The present mortgage through the national housing fund is a joke. Most contributors can't access the fund because in most instances they don't have
proper title over their land.

I see nothing wrong in what you have said at all. Even real estate companies are strictly monitored in advanced climes, and the government places a strict cap on the pricing of this properties. We have a situation where the olding days Omonile are replaced by more Vicious English speaking land- grabbers parading as real estate agent and companies overbloating cost of lands and properties while the government folds her arms doing nothing.

A land in the village that sold 200k 10years ago, today people would beg to get a plot for 2.5million. yet no roads, no power, no improved landscaping or business activity and the general hospital is grossly I'll equipped. Even putting up a property there for rent would not yield up to 150k in a year. The only value would be the sentimental value of owning a property in the village .

This I would see as failure of government in performing it's supervisory and regulatory role.

If these little things cannot be sorted out, then I wonder when the talk of modular factory houses etc will come up
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 7:07pm On Jun 16, 2021
Will this cut cost? Rib slab

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:11pm On Jun 16, 2021
kopell:
Please stop this your old ideology for building mass housing. Your cost analysis may not be possible, if government is determined to build homes for its citizens at low cost the, can do it with today technology. Most houses are prefabricated in factories, if Chinese can build 1,500 rooms of emergency hospitals in one week what stop us doing the same. I wish I can upload a video of a community of 500 houses including all its utilities, part ways, recreative center, etc that was built here in 6 months. Please house can be pre-fabricated in factory assembly in 48 hours with the present technology. It is possible to build over 1000 houses in three months. Sorry jare, the reply is for Brabus ooo

How many Nigerians do you think would want to really actually literally live in a prefabricated home even if you make it free?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2021
bixton:

How many Nigerians do you think would want to really actually literally live in a prefabricated home even if you make it free?

My brother when I say prefabricate home I mean houses, are you telling the won’t live in a home of $200k and above. I’m not talking of the junk houses they are building over there. Please tell me if the will not like to live here

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:04pm On Jun 16, 2021
kopell:
My brother when I say prefabricate home I mean houses, are you telling the won’t live in a home of $200k and above. I’m not talking of the junk houses they are building over there.

How many people can afford this 200k above house also?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:09pm On Jun 16, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

How many people can afford this 200k above house also?
Those are not rich people home, those are middle class and poor people home ooo. When those houses are built 10 years ago they are selling them to poor and middle class families for $120k on mortgage of 30 years. The entire place is built between 6 months.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2021
bixton:

So you're envisaging that while the lobby(s) will be stepped up every other section of the house will be stepped down. It will look good. It's all about your choice. But I'll advice if you're doing such, ensure the stepped down is 100mm(4"wink instead of 150mm(6"wink.
Exactly bro, @n3xt @saydfact and other professionals pls what do you think about this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 8:14pm On Jun 16, 2021
bixton:

remind me a tribe in Abuja who rejected the houses government built for them

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 8:39pm On Jun 16, 2021
bolu1986:
They didn't actually reject the houses.They were decieved by their chief.Now,he is the emperor selling plots in that location.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:24pm On Jun 16, 2021
kopell:
My brother when I say prefabricate home I mean houses, are you telling the won’t live in a home of $200k and above. I’m not talking of the junk houses they are building over there. Please tell me if the will not like to live here

It's not about how much it cost to put it.......
Let me put it this way.........
If the target is for low/medium income owners it may not work.
If you can get high income owners, notable people and people with class from the public to live in such then you can get a good number of the former to live in same.
The typical Nigerian mentality functions as "now we belong".

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 9:32pm On Jun 16, 2021
twinskenny:
Bending house somewhere in yaba

There's a common believe amongst some persons that if you are not building on the island, that "aseju ni pile foundation, raft tiwa okay" cheesy.. that's the end result.

I was coming down from 3rd mainland bridge inward oworonishoki and can't but marvel at how much sinking building I saw on that axis.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OAKGroup(m): 9:36pm On Jun 16, 2021
bolu1986:
This belongs to the families of waffle or hollow pot floor slabs.
Generally they are mainly introduced to reduce the dead wait of the suspended floor.
These kinds of floor slabs ain't as heavy as floor slabs fully made of concrete and reinforcement.
Therefore, it could generate longer span between columns

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 9:38pm On Jun 16, 2021
n3xt:
In another news, we still dey work.

NextHome’s Newest Addition | Column Shutters
It is the shear reinforcement (stirrup's) for me. I like the fact that the iron bender was consistent with the 150~175c/c..

Take your eye off him for a split second and you will see how the spacing will be doubled
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:52pm On Jun 16, 2021
Stevo30:
Trust me for a pro-people government, things can be done better. If government work the way it should work, some of the cost in building processes can be reduced. You shouldn'thave to sink your own borehole and have separate septic tanks if there is public water supply and sewage system. Government have resources to build mass housing for the populace. They can create a honest mortgage for people to pay up over like 20-30 years. How do you expect people who earn below 100k monthly to save up to afford 5m to build a house. We also need to review mass building design take care of the reality of our people. Most Nigerians actually don't need more than 1 bedroom (room and palour) or at most 2bedroom apartment. The present mortgage through the national housing fund is a joke. Most contributors can't access the fund because in most instances they don't have proper title over their land.

“If government work” - a conditional clause simply suggest to us that we are not sure something will happen or not.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Naijapal: 10:09pm On Jun 16, 2021
sonnie10:

In the future, when people grow old and are wheel chair bound or use some sort of mobility aid, how do they navigate this step down design?

Reason why I dont fancy it.
When I relocated from from one place to another, that's how I was still climbing non existent step for some days. shocked

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:22pm On Jun 16, 2021
bolu1986:
Hahahah, is not as bushing for those tribe that don't what to see civilizations around their environ
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ibk2020: 10:24pm On Jun 16, 2021
sonnie10:

In the future, when people grow old and are wheel chair bound or use some sort of mobility aid, how do they navigate this step down design?

This is so funny.
So what about duplex with many steps?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:25pm On Jun 16, 2021
bolu1986:
Hummm, what do the professional in house say about this decking
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by laraskey(m): 10:39pm On Jun 16, 2021
bolu1986:
n3xt
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:46pm On Jun 16, 2021
Charisdesigns:

There's a common believe amongst some persons that if you are not building on the island, that "aseju ni pile foundation, raft tiwa okay" cheesy.. that's the end result.

I was coming down from 3rd mainland bridge inward oworonishoki and can't but marvel at how much sinking building I saw on that axis.
Yaba and Oworo aren't island na..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:57pm On Jun 16, 2021
Naijapal:

Reason why I dont fancy it.
When I relocated from from one place to another, that's how I was still climbing non existent step for some days. shocked
That is how human mind works.Even people who are newly amputated still feel and mistakenly intend to make use of the lost limb sometimes. Another common example is when you own two vehicles , one with a floor gear and the other a steering attached gear. If you frequently drive both, often you would unintentionally reach out to grab the lever at the wrong position.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:59pm On Jun 16, 2021
Ibk2020:

This is so funny.
So what about duplex with many steps?
that is why people design duplex with a room or two down stairs.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 11:19pm On Jun 16, 2021
somehow:
Yaba and Oworo aren't island na..
I didn't say they are, my point is, In these areas, getting a soil test report is profitable regardless. (Don't just assume that raft foundation will be sufficient)

The picture original poster attached is a storey building and it's already settling.
Lagos State mostly will not ask you for soil test report when seeking approval for a storey building, you demand it of yourself, especially if you are building around all these area with low bearing capacity soil.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:59am On Jun 17, 2021
bobkezel:

Exactly bro, @n3xt @saydfact and other professionals pls what do you think about this.

I’m kinda late to this party.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2266) (2267) (2268) (2269) (2270) (2271) (2272) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gentlesoul83(m), sodiq961(m), sonnie10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.