Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2287) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4362949 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2284) (2285) (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) (2290) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 9:32pm On Jun 24, 2021
Simplicity is the new luxury...Ambo like Ambode!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:33pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

But I also challenged him on using 6 inches block and he said he had done one before with 6 inchesbblock and that the house is still standing well.......

The house that’s standing well, does it have parapets too?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:35pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

Please, what should I do now. Please advise is needed. Because the guy is saying he will go back there tomorrow

@AbdulWastecX @Spyder880
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:43pm On Jun 24, 2021
true2home:
Simplicity is the new luxury...Ambo like Ambode!

I can relate grin

Well done! Good job. #LPAD

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:52pm On Jun 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

1) What did the architect specify and 2) Did you follow that plan?

Be thankful that there was no loss of life. Hopefully.

Don’t let your builder roam around willfully without following established known and proven protocols.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:55pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

He is an architect and he was the one I gave the contract to

"He is an architect"

Madam, is that a statement of fact? Or he just told you " I'm an architect "?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:03pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

Please, advice is needed. What should I do now because he is saying he would go back to the site tomorrow

To be honest with you, I don't think the collapse is due to the precast parapet. The parapet is a sum total of the load the beams/lintel were unable to carry.

From the photos one can see the non coherence introduction of beams resting on weak hollow blocks instead of columns. Look at BiigTee photos above and compare that build with yours in terms of columns/pillars, you will notice the coherent introduction of beams and columns tied together. But your architect introduce beams and lintel haphazardly and disjointedly without any attempt to tie them together so they feed off each other to spread the load.

Decommission the architect. They don't know what they are doing. Get a structural engineer to access the build in it's entirety with a view to correcting the haphazard beams. Don't worry too much. It is a bungalow, it is salvageable with wise spending.

I'm not a structural engineer. Not even close.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 10:16pm On Jun 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

The house that’s standing well, does it have parapets too?

Yes, according to what he told me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 10:20pm On Jun 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:

"He is an architect"

Madam, is that a statement of fact? Or he just told you " I'm an architect "?

He is an architect. He designed it. I can confirm that
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 10:23pm On Jun 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

1) What did the architect specify and 2) Did you follow that plan?

Be thankful that there was no loss of life. Hopefully.

Don’t let your builder roam around willfully without following established known and proven protocols.
The guy himself is an architect and he was the one that designed it and he the one building it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:27pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

But I also challenged him on using 6 inches block and he said he had done one before with 6 inchesbblock and that the house is still standing well.......

The building issue is not as a result of the use of 6" blocks. A precast is expected to be of lesser weight compared to cast in-situ and it failed, which shows the underlying issue is beyond block size.
You can get someone else to do physical inspection and recommend appropriate fixing measures.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Loool. Oga Egun.

Its obvious there's no architect involved. It's just the owner and a guy who calls himself "ENGINEER".

Don’t say what you don't know. I can send the building approval to you. We used what he designed to get the approval. His name is there as the architect. A registered one for that matter
I don't just want to expose him since he apologized and he's ready to take full responsibility for it.

I just need advice on whether I should allow him to make the correction where necessary or I should look for another person

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 10:37pm On Jun 24, 2021
Chei! This your so called architect does not have the fear of God in his heart ... Sincerely, I'm just speechless... I'll suggest you state your location let's see whether you can contract one of our reputable guys on here to salvage the situation and also ensure updates are posted here for additional contributions from other seasoned professionals in the forum.

FreeConCiencE:

Before collapsing. No column/pillars anywhere. They just put the long-spanning lintels on 6-inch blocked walls
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:52pm On Jun 24, 2021
true2home:
Open kitchen is always lovely. The question is, is it functional in a Nigerian Home?

In my observations, no and the reasons has been stated by others here. I love it so much that a solution has to be provided. The solution in my view is Two-Section kitchen; wet and dry area.

You design it in such a way that the Dry kitchen will be open, while the Wet kitchen will be attached but not opened to the living. So the Dry kitchen will be for SHOW; maybe you mix few cocktail in it

Did an open kitchen for my client as she requested it.

But in my own house, I'm gonna put a door

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:20pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

Don’t say what you don't know. I can send the building approval to you. We used what he designed to get the approval. His name is there as the architect. A registered one for that matter
I don't just want to expose him since he apologized and he's ready to take full responsibility for it.

I just need advice on whether I should allow him to make the correction where necessary or I should look for another person

Apologies ma'am. When I read your chats, I concluded you're probably even a better builder than your architect.

If he had used 9" blocks, I believe it probably will be able to withstand those loads.

Building with 6 inch blocks is very dicey. It's a slippery slope. I have done it in my "experimental build" and I know its dicey.

In the pic below (experimental build), we put an insitu concrete fascia on 6 inch blocks!

I would have shown more things we did with 6 inch blocks but .....

6" blocks struggle to carry loads except you make them extra strong.

My advice is that, introduce columns at span of 4-5 metres. Your beams sit on these columns. Each column MUST have a footing.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:26pm On Jun 24, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

Please and please get another guy with structural experience to help you salvage the project. Niyi Aventures is structural Engineer, check his signature page if he is not busy. Dennis3D is a very good Architect as well .

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:32pm On Jun 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Apologies ma'am. When I read your chats, I concluded you're probably even a better builder than your architect.

If he had used 9" blocks, I believe it probably will be able to withstand those loads.

Building with 6 inch blocks is very dicey. It's a slippery slope. I have done it in my "experimental build" and I know its dicey.

In the pic below (experimental build), we put an insitu concrete fascia on 6 inch blocks!

My advice is that, introduce columns at span of 4-5 metres. Your beams sit on these columns. Each column MUST have a footing.
Hahaha true talk !!!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 11:43pm On Jun 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Your advice counts.
But all that precedes it is a fallacy of generalization and myth.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 12:37am On Jun 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_f3GldYGg

cheesy that guy almost died....

Chai see effect o

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 1:22am On Jun 25, 2021
n3xt:

It’s not every architect that can interpret what they draw.

Funny but sadly it is true.
Some just copy and paste... not every site "engineer " can interpret them either..

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 1:25am On Jun 25, 2021
cajoextreme:
Hi
Does anyone know where I can find large/big rugs to buy in Lagos?

Egbeda or Eko market

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 1:27am On Jun 25, 2021
Please My people

How much would I get this iron?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 1:46am On Jun 25, 2021
twinskenny:
Open kitchen yah or nay?

Yah yah yah..

Someone wrote in a comment if it will work in our Nigeria context? I think when someone have open concept kitchen, you need to readjust to it..

Remember some of us that were able to spend Easter breaks or the long vacation in the village with our grandparents... don't you like the firewood cooking? I know I do , I love the firewood cooking like no tomorrow even to this day... it seems firewood gives the food a unique taste.. or maybe my taste bud is confusing me ... but I do enjoy firewood cooking.

But when we all go back to town, do we use firewood? NO. Why?? We readjust.

Same as living in a flat or living in a bungalow.. you readjust.

Living in an estate or building your house where there's no estate rules.. you could raise a cow in your backyard and oh well... who cares ...

So it's all about adjustment..

For me it is a yes yes and yes.. even in Nigeria setting.. I think it will work.. when I grow up, I have already penciled down the design of choice my house and in it is an open concept kitchen.

Think about this, do you know how many Nigerians that live in the U.S?? ( I used U.S because open concept is more popular in the U.S - in my experience). How are they coping?? Even apartments in the U.S are open concept and Nigerians, Africans are enjoying it..

I will enjoy open concept the same way I enjoy it in the U.S. grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 1:53am On Jun 25, 2021
Following up on the conversation above.. lot of times we have doors in the kitchen, door in the parlor in our Nigerian build as a form of security or deterrent to small children or visitors.

Like no body wants to let all their visitors see their kitchen.. they might be "frenemies " .. you don't want people to see certain things in the house.. or privacy etc.

But outside Nigeria people adjust to it in the sense that everyone knows to stay in their own lane even if you visit someone. No matter if the house is open concept, even if you see orange juice in plain sight, you need to ask the homeowner before going to take it...

I remember I use to live in a one bedroom house way back when here in 9ja.. your friends will just show up to your house.. (remember 1 bedroom face me I slap you so everything is in plain sight).

They say, o boy how far nah.. wetin dey inside this fridge sef (opens fridge angry ) sees something they like and they are eating already..

Or picks up my TV remote and changes the station that I am watching.. angry and I am thinking.. I think this is my house grin

Again, open concept is not for everyone, not everyone will be comfortable in it.. I remember my grandma doesn't like to stay in the city long because she doesn't like the set up and the lifestyle... she likes the village lifestyle...get your firewood, cook, go to that compound chit chat come back etc... very laid back lifestyle..

For me, In my house here in Nigeria I have two living rooms.. I don't keep that many friends and I don't invite that many people to my house and I do send invites very rarely and almost never if my kids are in the house at the time. But when the visitors show up.. they stay in the ante room and toilet is right there.. the other parlor is open concept but no visitors allowed , not even extended family members make it that far in my house..

So every one is different, do what works best for you

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 2:06am On Jun 25, 2021
n3xt:

Smiles.

You really need to go back and understand why I wrote what I wrote grin

It’s just a sarcastic remark. I know I am fantastically wrong.

Right here we were told Chinese build shitty structures.

Thank you, that’s a relief!

The Chinese get a bad rap because our people only see the worst, cheapest, inferior versions of their products in Naija. Western countries import more than a whole lot from the Chinese but they have standards that have to be met so people in those countries get the highest grade products which are nothing like the nightmare stuff imported to Naija. The Chinese can manufacture the same product in 100 different grades/qualities. I have no doubt that they are capable of producing weak buildings in unregulated markets but certainly not on home soil.

Changing track. . . . .

Open kitchens are great, especially if you like to entertain. As someone who cooks a lot and also has an open kitchen, the trick is to have an excellent fan system to take out the smells. The typical simple Oyinbo fans/hoods over your stove (gas cooker) will not cut it. You either have odor eliminating gadgets or scented candles, electric air fresheners, etc, etc which you activate while cooking and afterwards or (best option) have a commercial/industrial grade hood fan that zaps out smells even as you cook. They work like magic, seeing is believing. You are left with zero residual cooking smells and they are worth the extra cost. People that smell of food are the unaware/uncaring and simply do not get it.

P.S. Happy belated Father’s Day, gentlemen! I hope the Daddies amongst you got to take a break from making money and using calculators to simply luxuriate in being pampered smiley

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 3:14am On Jun 25, 2021
kopell:
Please and please get another guy with structural experience to help you salvage the project. Niyi Aventures is structural Engineer, check his signature page if he is not busy. Dennis3D is a very good Architect as well .

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 3:23am On Jun 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:51am On Jun 25, 2021
Badgers14:
Following up on the conversation above.. lot of times we have doors in the kitchen, door in the parlor in our Nigerian build as a form of security or deterrent to small children or visitors.

Like no body wants to let all their visitors see their kitchen.. they might be "frenemies " .. you don't want people to see certain things in the house.. or privacy etc.

But outside Nigeria people adjust to it in the sense that everyone knows to stay in their own lane even if you visit someone. No matter if the house is open concept, even if you see orange juice in plain sight, you need to ask the homeowner before going to take it...

I remember I use to live in a one bedroom house way back when here in 9ja.. your friends will just show up to your house.. (remember 1 bedroom face me I slap you so everything is in plain sight).

They say, o boy how far nah.. wetin dey inside this fridge sef (opens fridge angry ) sees something they like and they are eating already..

Or picks up my TV remote and changes the station that I am watching.. angry and I am thinking.. I think this is my house grin

Again, open concept is not for everyone, not everyone will be comfortable in it.. I remember my grandma doesn't like to stay in the city long because she doesn't like the set up and the lifestyle... she likes the village lifestyle...get your firewood, cook, go to that compound chit chat come back etc... very laid back lifestyle..

For me, In my house here in Nigeria I have two living rooms.. I don't keep that many friends and I don't invite that many people to my house and I do send invites very rarely and almost never if my kids are in the house at the time. But when the visitors show up.. they stay in the ante room and toilet is right there.. the other parlor is open concept but no visitors allowed , not even extended family members make it that far in my house..

So every one is different, do what works best for you

Very true and I agree with your submission.

Life is short, people should learn to indulge themselves. There’s a solution to most issues I life.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:24am On Jun 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Very true and I agree with your submission.

Life is short, people should learn to indulge themselves. There’s a solution to most issues in life.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 6:16am On Jun 25, 2021
spiceeamiee:
Please any one knows where i can get very good and quality internal flush doors? The quotes I have gotten ehnn shocked. please my budget is 80k max. Also where to get Italian internal doors? The ones I saw that I liked, we have to break wall to attach the frames. Tiles have been fixed already and I no get extra money to spend. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Reach out to us for quality doors..08063073913.....

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:26am On Jun 25, 2021
hamtabfawaz:
Please My people

How much would I get this iron?

bought 5200 but I bought quantity and am in Nnewi where competition is rife.

Ensure you get the original 1.5mm and not Holman
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OAKGroup(m): 6:30am On Jun 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You probably know this but what I’ve learnt from builders on here is to use 9” for external perimeter and use 6” for interior partitions. To be sincere, most, not all, Nigerian blocks are pieces of shyte, structurally.

I hope to introduce a line of blocks made to international standards next year.
Very right.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2284) (2285) (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) (2290) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.