Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2288) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4363139 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2285) (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) (2290) (2291) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 6:32am On Jun 25, 2021
Sorry about the partial collapse of your building but when and how did it occur.

A closer look at the building shows there are no columns on the building, the floor slab thickness is too small and I guess the mix ratios for the mortar and concrete works were weak as well. Your building was poorly constructed..The quality of workmanship here is poor and not the size the sandcrete blocks.

You need to discontinue the construction and get a structural engineer to do a comprehensive assessment of your building.

FreeConCiencE:

Please, advice is needed. What should I do now because he is saying he would go back to the site tomorrow

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 6:41am On Jun 25, 2021
Mmotimo is back but this time with very good insight and contribution.
I accept the belated 'Happy Fathers' Day'. Thank you!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 6:44am On Jun 25, 2021
Aforxzy:
Sorry about the partial collapse of your building but when and how did it occur.

A closer look at the building shows there are no columns on the building, the floor slab thickness is too small and I guess the mix ratios for the mortar and concrete works were weak as well. Your building was poorly constructed..The quality of workmanship here is poor and not the size the sandcrete blocks.

You need to discontinue the construction and get a structural engineer to do a comprehensive assessment of your building.

It got to this present stage last 2weeks.
THANKS
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Inception(m): 6:48am On Jun 25, 2021
Please guys what are the prevailing prices of Steel rods: 16mm, 12 mm and 8mm?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:40am On Jun 25, 2021
KelvinCoaster:
Mmotimo is back but this time with very good insight and contribution.

I accept the belated 'Happy Fathers' Day'.
Thank you!

Haha....in my mind I was like....ooo no not another blow on n3xt....totally surprised with that happy father's day wishes ..
I will take that also... grin grin grin
Thank you

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolajinoni1(m): 8:14am On Jun 25, 2021
A land survey will help protect your investment. A survey can reveal the exact property dimensions, size and location of the home on the property, as well as any other improvements on the land, such as a driveway that may be crossing a property line. For more info Whatsapp or Call 08137651008.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hatesin: 8:27am On Jun 25, 2021
Aforxzy:

I laugh whenever I read some of these self acclaimed jack of all trades profesionals capitalize on the size of blocks in building constructions.
For crying out loud, the size of blocks has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of a structure. What matters is the strength of the blocks irrespective of the size.
I have seen a storey building constructed with 5" solid blocks and as I type, that house is still standing and has stood for more than 20years without any single crack.

So, recommending 100 inch size of blocks for a client just to appear more professional solves no problem
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 8:36am On Jun 25, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

Should I accept that they correct the errors and move on?

It's sad that this happened.

Lack of sufficient columns is responsible for this.
Loads were placed on non-load bearing walls.
Concrete fascia possesses it's on weight and I am guessing that it rained during this period leading to even more weight than those blocks could carry.

A lot of people consider a structural plan unnecessary for a bungalow, they further make the mistake of giving the project to someone who doesn't know how to pull the job off in the absence of a structural plan.

To remedy your situation, you might have to do away with the concrete fascia, raise the block work and roof that way.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 8:50am On Jun 25, 2021
Hatesin:

I laugh whenever I read some of these self acclaimed jack of all trades profesionals capitalize on the size of blocks in building constructions.
For crying out loud, the size of blocks has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of a structure. What matters is the strength of the blocks irrespective of the size.
I have seen a storey building constructed with 5" solid blocks and as I type, that house is still standing and has stood for more than 20years without any single crack.

So, recommending 100 inch size of blocks for a client just to appear more professional solves no problem

Irrespective of the strength, non load bearing blocks shouldn't be carrying load in any case.

This is why the frame model is often the best, where load gets transferred from beams to columns and then to the foundation and blocks act as partitions.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:52am On Jun 25, 2021
FreeConCiencE:

It got to this present stage last 2weeks.
THANKS

Really sorry that you are going through this. I can only imagine the pain in your heart. Stay strong and push your project forward again. Hopefully the architect pays some damages too.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Inception(m): 8:55am On Jun 25, 2021
sconp:

Irrespective of the strength, non load bearing blocks shouldn't be carrying load in any case.

This is why the frame model is often the best, where load gets transferred from beams to columns and then to the foundation and blocks act as partitions.

Smart answer. I use this technique and do not compromise requirements of bearing strength and reinforcements. May be more expensive, but at least i can sleep well
In that case, you only need to worry about your foundation vis a vis geotechnical requirements.. (which also you must take care of too!)

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:45am On Jun 25, 2021
sconp:

Are you now referring to the external walls as a non load bearing wall and that was why the parapet partially collapsed and probably the parapet should have been placed on the internal walls? You sure do know what you're posting and that is why the frame model is the best for a bungalow house!!!! Are you for real?
And you certainly did comment the thoughts of others based on the likes you got........keep it going.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:50am On Jun 25, 2021
It's not China, it's not Chinese engineers, it's not prefab homes.

Na America, American engineers and it's conventional building.

It collapsed

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:09am On Jun 25, 2021
bixton:

Your advice counts.
But all that precedes it is a fallacy of generalization and myth.

Thats why Its MY advice.

Shaped by my own experience in construction.

Yours will be different, shaped by your own experience.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 11:28am On Jun 25, 2021
Prolifixent:
We design, install and repair fences that meet your unique needs for beauty, privacy, safety, security, and warehouse and industrial enclosure.

The intruder can not climb up with fingers and toes, and conventional bolts or wire-cutters have no way to cut the anti climb fencing

Our technical ability, experience and knowledge of the industry make it possible to extend the scope and capacity of protective security measures for almost any environment.

Our range of high security fencing will allow you to have piece of mind and provide maximum protection against intruders. Each high security fencing system has it's own specific attributes allowing you to choose the right height security fencing system for you.

Our company though young, yet it’s innovative and fast growing and it’s being managed by young entrepreneurs whose missions/contributions are delivered an excellent services & good customer satisfaction.

Contact Us
Email: prolifixenterprises@gmail.com
Phone: 08032140286,08065569481
Mobile: 08029180385
Cost of fencing an acre of land

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:29am On Jun 25, 2021
michlins:

It collapsed

Built in 1981... More than 40 years old..

This your post doesn't support the vilification / vituperation of American Engineers.

If you compare and contrast Europeans and Chinese in terms of building standards vis a vis failure rate, they are not the same and that's facts.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OAKGroup(m): 11:30am On Jun 25, 2021
michlins:

It collapsed
Even with good road network and Maintenance of accurate speed, vehicles still get involved in accident, trains derial from their tracks.
Accident happens.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:33am On Jun 25, 2021
Hatesin:

Oga Engineer, if it doesnt matter entirely, do your next multi-storey build with 3 inch hollow blocks... and make sure they carry dead loads e.g beams...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 12:04pm On Jun 25, 2021
bixton:

Are you now referring to the external walls as a non load bearing wall and that was why the parapet partially collapsed and probably the parapet should have been placed on the internal walls? You sure do know what you're posting and that is why the frame model is the best for a bungalow house!!!! Are you for real?
And you certainly did comment the thoughts of others based on the likes you got........keep it going.

I think you didn't quite get my point, you might have to read that post again.

Both internal walls and external walls were made with 6inch hollow blocks which are non-load bearing , what this means is that they are not expected to carry loads. Blocks are not designed to carry loads.

You also probably don't understand what I mean by a frame model. If this build was a framed model, beams would have been rigidly connected to one another and then to the column and then the footing.

At the moment, as far as I know, the frame method is the best for different kind of builds, from bungalows to high rise structures.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OAKGroup(m): 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Oga Engineer, if it doesnt matter entirely, do your next multi-storey build with 3 inch hollow blocks... and make sure they carry dead loads e.g beams...
Leave him sir.
Stalking is his hubby.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:18pm On Jun 25, 2021
michlins:

It collapsed

You have no proof of this Sir.

I’ve been on sites where everyone was Chinese. I’ve been sites where everyone was Mexicans. In America.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hatesin: 12:22pm On Jun 25, 2021
OAKGroup:

Leave him sir.
Stalking is his hubby.

Why are you personally hurt by a simple fact?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hatesin: 12:33pm On Jun 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

By their quotes you will know them.
It's your type that would tell a client to get 100 inches blocks and forget about columns not knowing that a structure can stand without a single block

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeConCiencE: 12:43pm On Jun 25, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

Really sorry that you are going through this. I can only imagine the pain in your heart. Stay strong and push your project forward again. Hopefully the architect pays some damages too.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:50pm On Jun 25, 2021
Officer on deck. Attention grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:50pm On Jun 25, 2021
sconp:

I think you didn't quite get my point, you might have to read that post again.

Both internal walls and external walls were made with 6inch hollow blocks which are non-load bearing , what this means is that they are not expected to carry loads. Blocks are not designed to carry loads.

You also probably don't understand what I mean by a frame model. If this build was a framed model, beams would have been rigidly connected to one another and then to the column and then the footing.

At the moment, as far as I know, the frame method is the best for different kind of builds, from bungalows to high rise structures.

I got your explanation completely.
As false as it is.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:53pm On Jun 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Thats why Its MY advice.

Shaped by my own experience in construction.

Yours will be different, shaped by your own experience.

Well my advice to you is that don't do an experiment on a clients build again. So if a mishap happen you don't go blaming the client.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2021
bixton:

Well my advice to you is that don't do an experiment on a clients build again. So if a mishap happen you don't go blaming the client.

The build I posted is an Experimental build.

It wholly belongs to my construction company..

I'm trying several things on it.

- 6" block foundation. Surface.
- Concrete fascia on 6" blocks
- 2.5m iron span (unsupported)
- 8ft doors
- electrical piping before casting lintels so we dont have to break lintels.
- Fire blanket nailed to kitchen ceiling to stop fire spread.
-Full house automation using Alexa

Etc etc..

Oga Bixton.. further discussions when I come to Port Harcourt. grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:48pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hatesin:

By their quotes you will know them.
It's your type that would tell a client to get 100 inches blocks and forget about columns not knowing that a structure can stand without a single block

What are you even saying? undecided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 2:30pm On Jun 25, 2021
cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (2285) (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) (2290) (2291) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amastermovic(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.