Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,896 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:25 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4296451 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) (2290) (2291) (2292) ... (3643) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 2:58pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hello to the house, earlier on I brought my plan for criticism, lots of input was made by the house. 1st image is my original drawing, second image was produced by N3xt.

Construction has begun, unfortunately I wont be able to share the pics for some reasons. It's a 2bedroom & 1bedroom apartment as shown from the drawing.

Materials purchased so far

1.2300pcs of 6" Hollow granite dust blocks @N280

2.1000pcs of 6" Hollow sancrete machine vibrated blocks @N260
(I didn't like what I saw compared to the granite
blocks, so I will use this for fence)

3.60Ton of sharp sand @110,000

4.30Ton Granite @3500per Ton & 70k Tfare

5.40 bags of cement @3700

Bush clearing was just 3k cos a large portion of the land had human and vehicular traffic so the cleared part was used as a mini farm/garden

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by aggymore: 3:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
I am Proud to introduce our company, BMDirect a subsidiary of Pointedge Limited, one of Nigeria’s leading manufacturers of timber and steel doors, have over a period of two decades been developing and constantly improving, supplying and installing an extensive range of interior and exterior bespoke doors to complement the development of private and public buildings.

We are into quality products which include;

FLUSH DOORS
PANEL DOORS
STEEL DOORS
COMPOSITE DOORS
WARDROBES
FITTED KITCHEN SYSTEMS and
VALENCIA LOCKS

We would be pleased to arrange a meeting with you to further show how we can be of assistance to your organization.

For further details about us, please visit our Website: www.bmdirect.biz
Email: mordi.henrietta@bmdirect.biz
Call/Whatsapp: 08033912991, 09055194411
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 3:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
Against the counsel of N3xt & the house I didnt do pillars(sad face)

My foundation concrete was 3" thick

Foundation depth 1ft 6"(hard soil)

Mortar mixture used 1bag of cement, 12heapan of sharp sand ( please is this good enough?)

For the concrete. 1bag of cement, 8 headpan of sharp sand and 7headpan of granite( is this Ok too?)

4 coaches has been achieved and the surrounding roads are lower than the estate. Next stage is filling and German Floor

I have insisted on the german floor, I am being pressed to continue building and do that later

The area is not water logged, please what advantage does the German floor have and why should I do it?

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:03pm On Jun 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

The build I posted is an Experimental build.

It wholly belongs to my construction company..

I'm trying several things on it.

- 6" block foundation. Surface.
- Concrete fascia on 6" blocks
- 2.5m iron span (unsupported)
- 8ft doors
- electrical piping before casting lintels so we dont have to break lintels.
- Fire blanket nailed to kitchen ceiling to stop fire spread.
-Full house automation using Alexa

Etc etc..

Oga Bixton.. further discussions when I come to Port Harcourt. grin

None of this looks new.
Welcome to PHC.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:07pm On Jun 25, 2021
nannymcphee:
Hello to the house, earlier on I brought my plan for criticism, lots of input was made by the house. 1st image is my original drawing, second image was produced by N3xt.

Construction has begun, unfortunately I wont be able to share the pics for some reasons. It's a 2bedroom & 1bedroom apartment as shown from the drawing.

Well done! Wishing you all the best!

It’d be nice though to share your build on kobocity.com cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 3:15pm On Jun 25, 2021
michlins:
bought 5200 but I bought quantity and am in Nnewi where competition is rife.

Ensure you get the original 1.5mm and not Holman

Noted

Thanks a lot Michy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:18pm On Jun 25, 2021

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2021
hamtabfawaz:

Noted

Thanks a lot Michy.
just so you know, the Holman is 1mm but because of the quality, people take it as 1.5mm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2021
nannymcphee:

Mortar mixture used 1bag of cement, 12heapan of sharp sand ( please is this good enough?)

For the concrete. 1bag of cement, 8 headpan of sharp sand and 7headpan of granite( is this Ok too?)

4 coaches has been achieved and the surrounding roads are lower than the estate. Next stage is filling and German Floor

I have insisted on the german floor, I am being pressed to continue building and do that later

The area is not water logged, please what advantage does the German floor have and why should I do it?

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

“I” wouldn’t build without doing a monolithic floor. I’ve seen it done near me, on here at times and a notable builder on here did one for a friend due to budget. The builder did put a bed of concrete on the block level before moving up.

If it’s due to budget and everything else being equal I guess you can go ahead.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:46pm On Jun 25, 2021
nannymcphee:

Bush clearing was just 3k cos a large portion of the land had human and vehicular traffic so the cleared part was used as a mini farm/garden

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

You’re under no obligation to share your pics.

Good luck on your project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:48pm On Jun 25, 2021
bixton:

None of this looks new.
Welcome to PHC.

You forgot..

"I'm trying several things on......"

Keyword is I.

First person singular.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 4:11pm On Jun 25, 2021
FreeConCiencE:
What could have been responsible for this kind of collapse, expert in the house?
So sorry about this failure.
I think the issue here is:
1.Since there are no vertical support for the concrete fascia, Beams should have been introduced in the internal walls to anchor the fascia.
2. Since the builder opted for 6inches blocks he would have used the 6inches solid blocks even thou this isn't the cause.
3. Chained lintel is important for bungalows without columns.

The bungalow here is a 6bedroom, done without columns except for the fancy ones at the approach.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:26pm On Jun 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

You forgot..

"I'm trying several things on......"

Keyword is I.

First person singular.

Okay. That's nice.
Just a question......

I saw some pix of building on here and quite a few don't carry the recommended size for wall plate fixed on parapet beams but a smaller size looking like 2*2 or less wood.!!!!
Just curious if you've come across such......
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
UC92:

1.Since there are no vertical support for the concrete fascia, Beams should have been introduced in the internal walls to anchor the fascia
2. Since the builder opted for 6inches blocks he would have used the 6inches solid blocks even thou this isn't the cause.

The bungalow here is a 6bedroom, done without columns except for the fancy ones at the approach.

And when God created man, He said His creation was very good.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Josnac(m): 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2021
nannymcphee:

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

Glad to hear your project is up and running.
Your mortar and concrete mixtures are very okay for your project.

Please, if you've already made a budget for the oversite concrete (German floor)..get it done before continuing with the blockwork, not later, as you have a greater chance of blocking out rodents, ants and other crawling stuffs when the concrete is monolithically placed over the floor area.

Additionally, seeing that your foundation is already done, please do ensure that your structure sits at a considerable height above the general ground level (3-courses of blockwork should be your minimum), especially if the road/street has not been tarred/built before now...trust me, it will save you loads of agony in the future.

Best wishes.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 5:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
Seal up ur compound floor. It will stop water from splashing on the building water... sweetest is installing water collector.. no more splash

KIDfurniture:
Is your compound floor sealed ? Did the screeded parts come off during the rainy seasons only ? Was it all good during the hot season ?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:33pm On Jun 25, 2021
https://www.nairaland.com/5681155/electrical-audio-system-cctv-fire/98#103087918

Cctv and video door bell installations done in ikorodu..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 6:59pm On Jun 25, 2021
I am looking for 1 room self contain in around Ogba in Lagos to rent. My budget is #10,000 per month = #120,000 per year. I can go as high as #150, 000.
I am also looking for a shop for hairdressing saloon in the same area.
If you have one reply with your offer
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2021
nannymcphee:

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

You need the German floor done before your continue building
If the building is having problem Like line coming down from the wall (wall crack )
It will not go all the way to you foundation
If you don't do German floor it will crack always to your foundation

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Martini101(m): 7:40pm On Jun 25, 2021
nannymcphee:

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus

A little input on the main drawing. For cross ventilation, the bedroom on the one bedroom flat should be interchanged with the dining.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 9:51pm On Jun 25, 2021
Martini101:

A little input on the main drawing. For cross ventilation, the bedroom on the one bedroom flat should be interchanged with the dining.

Thanks, I used the second drawing
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 9:53pm On Jun 25, 2021
GoodFaith:

You need the German floor done before your continue building
If the building is having problem Like line coming down from the wall (wall crack )
It will not go always to you foundation
If you don't do German floor it will crack always to your foundation

Thanks for this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 9:54pm On Jun 25, 2021
Please what's the most effective method of dealing with termites? There is a termite Hill on Site
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by beebah247: 10:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
spyder880:

We just completed this decking in Asaba this month.
Price tag: N4,052,953.00

https://www.nairaland.com/6409026/making-asaba-block-6-flats/4

@spyder880 how many sqm is this decking you did for N4m?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 10:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hatesin:

I laugh whenever I read some of this self-acclaimed jack of all trades professionals capitalize on the size of blocks in building constructions.
For crying out loud, the size of blocks has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of a structure. What matters is the strength of the blocks irrespective of the size.
I have seen a storey building constructed with 5" solid blocks and as I type, that house is still standing and has stood for more than 20years without any single crack.

So, recommending 100-inch size blocks for a client just to appear more professional solves no problem
My dilemma is that all these people advising did not see where lintel was done halfway, only the windows carry lintel.
There are millions of bungalow with no single pillars and it has not fallen.

I am not a builder but I have seen so many and my bungalow with no pillars but 9 inch vibrated blocks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 11:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
UC92:

1.Since there are no vertical support for the concrete fascia, Beams should have been introduced in the internal walls to anchor the fascia.

perfectly put sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 11:32pm On Jun 25, 2021
Tubular / flooded deep cycle battery maintenance distilled water & electrolytes now available!

Hydrometer ..... 4,000
Distilled water 1L (12 in pack) ... 5,000
Distilled water 25L (with free gallon) ... 7,000
Electrolyte (Accurate specific gravity) ...9,000

Provided the specific gravity of Electrolyte used is within what the battery type and brand allows, there is no cause for alarm on whether you top batteries with either distilled water or with Electrolyte.

The reason distilled water are used for top up is because, during the electroysis (when battery is charging and discharging), what escape is water vapour and not the ions contained in the Electrolyte.
The ions migrates and sticks to their respective electrodes.

The water vapour that escapes makes the indicator level drops. As soon as distilled water is used to top up, the Specific gravity of the entire system is kept constant.

Cultivate the habit of buying Electrolyte and distilled water from SMARTCELL and you will have nothing to worry about..

Direct from chemical industrial plant ! Place your orders now !!

SmartcellNuggets : Once you got a solar panel on a roof, energy is free. Once we convert our entire electricity grid to green and renewable energy, cost of living goes down.

Contact,
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 12:18am On Jun 26, 2021
Good day everyone.
Kindly find time to rate this project we did
As a community development project for a government secondary school...