Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,022 members, 7,807,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2348) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4363523 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2345) (2346) (2347) (2348) (2349) (2350) (2351) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:26am On Jul 27, 2021
rmx:

O serious
Bought 8/8.5k October last year from your brother , bought more 9/9.5k this March or April
inbox me on Whatsapp 09077504287
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 8:33am On Jul 27, 2021
Good Morning
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 9:10am On Jul 27, 2021
The heart of a man is desperately wicked, who can know it? Says the holy book.

diordaves:

This is a sad and unfortunate incidence. I hope they are/have been caught.

I don't think the design of the house would have helped on this occasion as the senior from the goodness of her heart let them in to pass the night. I think Nigerians at the lower end of societal ladder are increasingly getting wicked and jealous of people they perceive in their warped mind as successful and rich. They have seemingly successful folks as target.

A member of my landlord association was kidnapped by her driver of 12 years assigned to her by the bank they're both employed. 20 million Naira ransom was demanded and paid. Do you know what? After the driver and his gang were rumbled, it was discovered the driver is building the exact same house as his madam from the proceed of kidnapping. The same design down to the type of fence. He continued working at the bank before he was caught in another kidnap operation.

So no matter the design of our homes, the people we have around us and sometimes even the family members we have around us are the weakest link in any security set up.

May her soul rest in peace.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:54am On Jul 27, 2021
megacontrol:
Check this dude out on IG or the Whatsapp number provided in the snapshot.

He's very very good at some specialized furniture items, the patio door is one of his specialty.

He's done some of our outdoor spaces and any area that's not the regular stuff. Other than that, we do the regular wooden doors from Mushin.

Cheers.

Thanks I’ll reach out to him. I appreciate you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:28am On Jul 27, 2021
megacontrol:
Check this dude out on IG or the Whatsapp number provided in the snapshot.

He's very very good at some specialized furniture items, the patio door is one of his specialty.

He's done some of our outdoor spaces and any area that's not the regular stuff. Other than that, we do the regular wooden doors from Mushin.

Cheers.

I reached out.

Minimum order is N2M - e choke me grin

Actually not bad if you’re doing the whole house furnishings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 10:47am On Jul 27, 2021
uncleteeh:

Hmmm. InSecurity issue is getting to its peak in this country.
We need to use all measures available to secure ourselves, most especially the abode we live in.
I have been inactive here because my rented apartment was robbed with ease.
A kick flung the door open and armed robbers found their way in with ease in the midnight.
This! I bought the best door at orile (4ft and 3ft) and the seller was claiming turkey door but i knew a few solid kicks and co would break the door, even if doors should keep them off, Robbers now break the wall outside the house to gain entrance into main house, will we have to cast the walls with concrete Also? Some also do come through the roof, others do pull the burglary windows off.

I’ve been thinking about the best way to keep the house fully secured but I realize no amount of Security protocols can keep determined robbers from gaining entrance.

Make person sha dey keep cash for house incase robbers come, they can at least go with something without harming family members

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:49am On Jul 27, 2021
Born2conquer:

This! I bought the best door at orile (4ft and 3ft) and the seller was claiming turkey door but i knew a few solid kicks and co would break the door, even if doors should keep them off, Robbers now break the wall outside the house to gain entrance into main house, will we have to cast the walls with concrete Also? Some also do come through the roof, others do pull the burglary windows off.

I’ve been thinking about the best way to keep the house fully secured but I realize no amount of Security protocols can keep determined robbers from gaining entrance.

Make person sha dey keep cash for house incase robbers come, they can at least go with something without harming family members

cry cry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:52am On Jul 27, 2021
Born2conquer:

I'm not going to stress myself out beyond the following two things because it's a wash.

1) In public: Be a sensible adult.

2) In private: Have several layers of defense.

Beyond that I'll live my life.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 11:53am On Jul 27, 2021
n3xt:
Attn: All Homeowners especially those building for their parents or grandparents.

Beware of Who You Let into Your Property and Pay Good Attention to Your House Design

An old woman was gruesomely murdered in Ologuneru area of Ibadan this morning by her former driver. She let the former employee and his friend into her apartment to pass the night last night before they committed the dastardly act.

Since morning, I’ve been very disturbed and felt this could have been prevented if the building was designed to funnel visitors/guests into the family area only through the main entrance.
This will ensure that unwanted guests would have to negotiate several layers of security before he or she can find anything of value or gain access into the family area.

May God continue to protect us all. Amen.

Amen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 12:00pm On Jul 27, 2021
Born2conquer:

Sirs,have you consider home Automation system?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:42pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ebeano Supermarket Arson By 9-Year-Old Girl

https://www.nairaland.com/6671142/clearer-video-ebeano-supermarket-arson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd4C_w3w-8g

I watched this and thought to myself this could have been prevented/averted or limited by simple basic technology we often take for granted.

#1. That CCTV should have been monitored. In a set-up like a supermarket, it is of no use setting up a CCTV without personnel to monitor it. If the CCTV was being monitored, the child could have been seen straight away and the staff could react swiftly to put out the fire. This is negligence on the part of the operators of the supermarket.

#2. An industrial smoke/fire detector would have sounded an alarm to alert staff of the danger almost immediately after the child struck the lighter. From the look of things, such a supermarket has no fire/smoke alarm. The question is: how did the supermarket pass planning approval with the authorities? Set-up like these should not get planning approval or license to operate without putting fire prevention measures in place. Who places gas cylinders, a connected gas cooker and lighters together in the same place accessible to all? This is just daft. The operators would have a hard time with their insurance company if they have one. The insurance company may fight this and refuse to pay.

#3. A fire water sprinkler would have prevented the supermarket from burning completely to the ground. A fire water sprinkler is even more ardently needed in Nigeria where the fire service is not up to scratch. And these gargets are not even that expensive to implement. It is either the I-don't-care attitude of some Nigerians, cutting corners, or lack of basic knowledge.

For those of you architects in here and engineers, have you ever included water sprinklers in your Mech drawings for a commercial outfit? Most of the answers would be 'no'. Architects in Nigeria, you must up your game beyond your traditional cut and paste to include cutting edge, life-saving, and health and safety designs both for home and commercial outfits. This is a challenge for you all.

If you are a Local Government Agency employee in charge of planning approval and you're reading this, you must do your job diligently. Stop collecting bribes and enforce the planning process to its fullest. Your corrupt ways are killing Nigerians.

Homeowner, you will do well to instal smoke/carbon monoxide detector and alarm at home. A fire extinguisher for home use will not go amiss. And place lighters out of the reach of children. This is not rocket science.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
diordaves:

For those of you architects in here and engineers, have you ever included water sprinklers in your Mech drawings for a commercial outfit? Most of the answers would be 'no'. Architects in Nigeria, you must up your game beyond your traditional cut and paste to include cutting edge, life-saving, and health and safety designs both for home and commercial outfits. This is a challenge for you all.

If you are a Local Government Agency employee in charge of planning approval and you're reading this, you must do your job diligently. Stop collecting bribes and enforce the planning process to its fullest. Your corrupt ways are killing Nigerians.

Homeowner, you will do well to instal smoke/carbon monoxide detector and alarm at home. A fire extinguisher for home use will not go amiss. And place lighters out of the reach of children. This is not rocket science.

Words of Marble.

Thanks & Good day.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:12pm On Jul 27, 2021
diordaves:

I watched this and thought to myself this could have been prevented/averted or limited by simple basic technology we often take for granted.

#1. That CCTV should have been monitored. In a set-up like a supermarket, it is of no use setting up a CCTV without personnel to monitor it. If the CCTV was being monitored, the child could have been seen straight away and the staff could react swiftly to put out the fire. This is negligence on the part of the operators of the supermarket.

#2. An industrial smoke/fire detector would have sounded an alarm to alert staff of the danger almost immediately after the child struck the lighter. From the look of things, such a supermarket has no fire/smoke alarm. The question is: how did the supermarket pass planning approval with the authorities? Set-up like these should not get planning approval or license to operate without putting fire prevention measures in place. Who places gas cylinders, a connected gas cooker and lighters together in the same place accessible to all? This is just daft. The operators would have a hard time with their insurance company if they have one. The insurance company may fight this and refuse to pay.

#3. A fire water sprinkler would have prevented the supermarket from burning completely to the ground. A fire water sprinkler is even more ardently needed in Nigeria where the fire service is not up to scratch. And these gargets are not even that expensive to implement. It is either the I-don't-care attitude of some Nigerians, cutting corners, or lack of basic knowledge.

To be honest, what we build in naija is shelter not a house.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2021
n3xt:

To be honest, what we build in naija is shelter not a house.

You are not correct
There are house that meet major standard but lack basic standard
I personal have a policy of installing carbon monoxide detector on all level of house
But the City code is one
Smoke alarm in all rooms in rental properties code
The problem too people don't change the batteries
In all my properties in Nigeria I will install carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 1:55pm On Jul 27, 2021
diordaves:

From Experience,most of the time the clients will say it's too Expensive.
it will take a lot of Persuasion and value Engineering before the clients agree.
just look at it,Millions of naira wasted on something that could have been prevented
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 1:59pm On Jul 27, 2021
walexProjects:

From Experience,most of the time the clients will say it's too Expensive.
it will take a lot of Persuasion and value Engineering before the clients agree.
just look at it,Millions of naira wasted on something that could have been prevented

smoke alarm do cost about $6 to $50
The biggest problem is INSURANE POLICY
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 2:40pm On Jul 27, 2021
Thanks for this, it's quite timely. A lot of homeowners hardly think along this direction. Funny enough, a simple smoke/fire alarm on Jumia isn't expensive.

diordaves:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
HOME SECURITY & HOME ACCESS CONTROL
Integrating your home security system and access control system into your home automation design makes a lot of sense. Not only does it provide the ultimate in security but it adds a new level of convenience to your lifestyle. Smart Home Solutions have the expertise to bring these systems together to make them work for you.

HOME SECURITY
Smart Home Solutions integrates security systems in the connected home, allowing the alarm, lighting and closed circuit cameras to be managed from a single control panel.

Closed circuit television, remote cameras and sensors give you in-house and remote monitoring. Integrated distribution of these cameras can give you the facility to monitor from any TV screen in the home. Network interfacing of these systems can then give you the facility of viewing any of these cameras from anywhere in the world in real time via the web or your smart phone. Integration to the access control system can provide automatic arming and all our systems are remote monitoring ready.

Lighting can also be programmed with an "Away" mode to supplement the core security system, generating random lighting scenes throughout the evening to give the home a lived in look whilst unoccupied.

Integrated security systems give you peace of mind, safety, and cost savings on your home insurance premium.

ACCESS CONTROL
From a simple gate station integrated to a phone system to a complex managed and monitored multi-entry system, Smart Home Solutions can engineer a solution providing you with total security and ease of operation.

Integration to other systems can activate lighting, security systems and even open the gate or front door from your audio visual remote or any lighting control panel in the home.

Integrated key fobs and proximity readers can give you key less entry and access anywhere in the home and surrounding grounds.

With a system like this coming home will always be a pleasure. Imagine this:

On approaching your home you press the first button on your key fob to open the main gate. Pressing the second button opens the garage door, the third deactivates the security and the fourth releases the access door into the home and activates the welcome home scene switching on lighting, air conditioning and opening blinds.

The security system can be modified so that when an intruder enters at anytime,it can send out an alarm.
If they enter through the door,window or anywhere,as long as it is force entry,The sensor will senses it and sends out the alarm.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:05pm On Jul 27, 2021
diordaves:

I have smoke detectors at the entrance to each living area and kitchen.A carbon monoxide and smoke detector combo in the dining and living.

Casa Ava will have Nest networked smoke detectors.

I don’t joke with safety.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 3:05pm On Jul 27, 2021
For intending Home owners,Let the M&E Engineers design Home Automation system that fits your Budget.
For the Engineers,Technology can solve so many Problems.we just need to deploy them.
It's saddening that in this age,we have not familiarize ourselves with these technologies.
For those that already have an Apartment,this is one of the solutions and you can still research for more and
Get the ones that fit your budget.
Enough is Enough!

https:///product/samsung-smart-home-security-and-lighting-kit-3815645?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5ZSr-bOD8gIVBoXVCh2NWwiwEAYYASABEgJqnvD_BwE
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:06pm On Jul 27, 2021
diordaves:

you are so on point sir.. I raised the same point this morning, how much is fire alarm system? How much is sprinkler? Now 5b worth of goods gone because of someone negligence
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Paras011: 3:16pm On Jul 27, 2021
Quality Control in Construction Projects

The importance of quality control and assurance in construction projects cannot be over-emphasized. The quality control process is used to compare the outcome of the project to the client's standard. The comparison helps to correct the changes noticed as the success of any construction project may be measured by strict adherence to quality and standards; the ability of the project to meet specifications and whether the project is achieved with a balanced cost at the projected time without delay.

Quality control and assurance must be carried out on all materials, implementation, workmanship, and methodologies in order to make the project successful. It ensures that standards are implemented on the construction site, and that inappropriate practices are eliminated. It is often carried out by an independent team different from the construction team. Poor quality control affects the quality, durability, safety, and longevity of the project.

Consequences of Poor Quality Control

Delays and Extra Costs

When quality control is not professionally done on a project, quality and standards are compromised. For instance, poor quality control leads to the use of sub-standard materials, shoddy implementation of design and plan, employment of unqualified workmanship and the use of outdated methodologies. These cause disruption of work on the project and structural defects which will definitely require increased and constant maintenance. Hence, the client is made to incur additional costs.

Injuries and Death

Poor quality control may result in injury or death of construction workers if the project fails in the process of construction. After construction, the same fate may befall the occupants or users of the project. This is mainly caused by the failure of the load-bearing parts of buildings, especially concrete.

Poor Reputation

Once a building contractor has a history of failed structures or collapsed buildings and it is known to potential clients - individual and corporate, it tarnishes the reputation of the contractor in the industry. Consequently, no potential client will have the confidence to patronize the contractor.

Why Quality Control?

Compliance to design specifications

Every construction project is conceived and designed with specifications and standards which are determined by the purpose it is designed to serve. Quality control starts from the design and planning stage as important decisions such as material specifications and functional performance are decided. Quality control, therefore, helps to construct the project in accordance with the design to meet or exceed the standards and specifications set in the contract.

Reduction of costs

Reduction of cost in construction projects does not mean trying to recover the cost expended by sacrificing quality. It refers to lowering levels of wastes and rework, improving productivity and production efficiency. Quality control helps to achieve this, as a minor defect in any construction project is detrimental to the safety of the workers and users.

Avoidance of Accidents

Ensuring proper quality control on the construction site helps to mitigate accidents. Safety measures and implementation plans must be included in the schedule.

Conclusion - Ensuring Quality Control

Quality control is beneficial to all the parties involved in the construction process.

Guides against defects

Structural elements that are not built according to standards and specifications usually develop defects, even in the process of construction. This often leads to collapse or damage, causing injury or death.

Successful construction project

Adhering strictly to proper quality control helps to keep the project within budget and completed within the specified timeframe without delays. It also ensures that high quality and standards are maintained as there will be no need for constant repairs and maintenance which cause additional costs.

Enhances client's satisfaction

When a project is completed at the right time, within budget, and meets standards and specifications, the client will be satisfied as their expectations are met or exceeded.

For more Construction-related Blogs click HERE
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:08pm On Jul 27, 2021
Born2conquer:

If your design is right and you did not bat an eyelid on critical structural elements (quality of block, thickness of your plastering, gauge of reinforcement used, column sizing etc) during construction, I believe strongly that break-in through the wall won’t really be a bother even if the thieves come with a demolition hammer.

_______

A structure that I designed sometimes around 2014 or 15 was among the buildings LASG went to demolish in Ajah area last year.

A lot of sympathizers who throng to the site were surprised the structure didn't fall like every other building in the neighborhood despite the fact that the caterpillar has remove some critical columns supporting the first floor slab.

Most people didn’t know there were lots of supplemental columns buried introduced to provide additional support for the structure while designing the building.

This explains the reason the building was able to survive the demolition before people could get an order to stop the illegal exercise.

Pics below

________

Just last week, I tried breaking some wall on my building to update features. It was as if I was breaking concrete.

________

May God continue to protect us.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by israelinvests: 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2021
2 beds for rent at abuleegba - meiran ekoro road... 350k per annum..total package 450k

Whatapp 08038174098
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:29pm On Jul 27, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I have smoke detectors at the entrance to each living area and kitchen.A carbon monoxide and smoke detector combo in the dining and living.

Casa Ava will have Nest networked smoke detectors.

I don’t joke with safety.

This is the right thing to do for those who take life more seriously. Public health, health and safety and first aid skills are in very short supply in Nigeria. People die needlessly and properties destroyed wantonly from preventable reasons. This is very encouraging that you are doing the bit you can. This should influence your immediate environment for the better.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:36pm On Jul 27, 2021
twinskenny:
you are so on point sir.. I raised the same point this morning, how much is fire alarm system? How much is sprinkler? Now 5b worth of goods gone because of someone negligence

Watching the CCTV footage, all I could say was: Naija!!!

No be say the money no dey.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:18pm On Jul 27, 2021
diordaves:

Watching the CCTV footage, all I could say was: Naija!!!

No be say the money no dey.

Nigerians don't spend money on protection--Insurance smoke alarm
NO Insurance in Nigeria or Insurance company don't pay
Nigerians like short cut
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 5:21pm On Jul 27, 2021
May almighty keep protecting us!
Most of all security measures are meant to secure us against pilferer not the answer med robbers. sad
Born2conquer:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 6:38pm On Jul 27, 2021
I won’t mind spending extra naira to make mine that strong, i even moulded the blocks on site just because i wanted a stronger structure.

You mean your walls are unbreakable?
n3xt:

If your design is right and you did not bat an eyelid on critical structural elements (quality of block, thickness of your plastering, gauge of reinforcement used, column sizing etc) during construction, I believe strongly that break-in through the wall won’t really be a bother even if the thieves come with a demolition hammer.

_______

A structure that I designed sometimes around 2014 or 15 was among the buildings LASG went to demolish in Ajah area last year.

A lot of sympathizers who throng to the site were surprised the structure didn't fall like every other building in the neighborhood despite the fact that the caterpillar has remove some critical columns supporting the first floor slab.

Most people didn’t know there were lots of supplemental columns buried introduced to provide additional support for the structure while designing the building.

This explains the reason the building was able to survive the demolition before people could get an order to stop the illegal exercise.

Pics below

________

Just last week, I tried breaking some wall on my building to update features. It was as if I was breaking concrete.

________

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2021
walexProjects:

Sirs,have you consider home Automation system?
We got a quotation for it but we suspended all activities till we can conclude what we want.

We want something contemporary (latest) and we are yet to make up our mind.

I no wan rush build

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 6:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
n3xt:

_______

Pics below

________

________

/.

Wonderful!
When technology meets local science.

Baba:
Just drop the name of the babalawo make we too patronize am. Rods cost these days.

/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/.

Wonderful!
When technology meets local science.

Baba:
Just drop the name of the babalawo make we too patronize am. Rods cost these days.

/

grin

To think the caterpillar in the picture below is right inside the plot where the building I shared is situated, is amazing.
It passed tight inside our plot to wreck havoc on the next building but couldn’t bring down ours.

I think it’s safe to say the building passed village people structural integrity test.

Na one of us here own the build.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2345) (2346) (2347) (2348) (2349) (2350) (2351) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: VanuatuWycombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.