Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4365514 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2355) (2356) (2357) (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 12:53pm On Aug 03, 2021
gandkiss:
Good morning All,
I am planning on using the open concept design for my kitchen and I noticed its rarely used here in naija, just wondering if it won't look odd if I use it.
Please what's your take on this.
Thanks
Consider
Hygiene
Maintenance
Air movement within your plot.
Privacy.
If you can't take care of all these it may not work out well.
Why not go for island kitchen?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2021
Aforxzy:
Here it is.

Okay, nice. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 1:09pm On Aug 03, 2021
gandkiss:
Good morning All,
I am planning on using the open concept design for my kitchen and I noticed its rarely used here in naija, just wondering if it won't look odd if I use it.
Thanks
I will only go for open kitchen due to spatial constraints.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 1:11pm On Aug 03, 2021
PAPAFEELERS:
Gbadexy , Rottech, NEXT & et All,

Please is Stuccor paint the same thing as reflecting paint, Glass paint?? or are they different paints

How much is the cost per square meter for this paint?

i heard the tradition is to give a quotation of the paint and labour per square meter to the client

Can reflecting paint be used on POP ceiling as well?

Thanks all for the knowledge sharing on this
I don't know much about stucco sir. The appliers prefer to bill per sqm for materials and application.
I haven't seen it applied on ceiling.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 1:35pm On Aug 03, 2021
n3xt:

Smiles.

There are kitchens and there’s well planned cooking space. What we have mostly in naija builds is a room with furnitures, cooking wares and sink.

A well planned kitchen must satisfy the following space planning requirements during design stage:

- cleaning/washing
- food preparation
- meal cooking/frying
- storage
- service area

Regardless of the design, your kitchen can only be successful when it is organized in a way to optimize performance and efficiency.
Your cooking/frying space must be equipped with hood and your design layout must allow for good ventilation.

If big restaurants can have open plan kitchen, I don’t see why we can’t have it at home.

_________

Unfortunately I don’t have pics but there’s a lovely concept I’ve seen in Oniru. The cooking/frying area of the well-spacious kitchen was at the far end corner of the room. The break-point has a frameless glass partition which protects the smelly odors from getting into the living area.

I wish I can do more but I’d try share the layout later here or on kobocity.com

________

Lastly don’t do this if your wife didn’t recommend or approve of it. Don’t do this for a village bae!

With a frameless glass partition it no longer becomes an open kitchen.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2021
bixton:

With a frameless glass partition it no longer becomes an open kitchen.

The glass partition or any other creative divider introduced to break space doesn’t mean it’s no longer an open plan living. It’s just a creative way to redefine your space minus the walls.

Like I shared, I don’t have time to share stuffs I’d have shown lot of great examples from projects done here in Nigeria.

I have an open plan design overlooking a lap pool with about 8m wide glass wall. Because there’s a sliding glass door doesn’t mean it’s not open plan living. I can open all the glass and turn the space into one big space.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hopify: 2:55pm On Aug 03, 2021
Hi please I have a number of material I am looking for the get locally in Nigeria.
I will really appreciate it if you can help me and your contact too.

The materials I'm looking for are:

Rubber Viton
Plastic - tecaform AH black
Stainless steel 303L, 316L, 304L, 431
Porous plastic
Lexan
Plastic - Lupital F20-03
Hypodermic tube
Aluminum 2014 T6.

Please anyone who knows how I can get this in Nigeria should help.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 3:42pm On Aug 03, 2021
Please any ideas on how much 12mm and 16mm rods cost now?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Please what is the size of this tub, especially the length. And the price.

Thanks.
the size is 170x70 sir/ma
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 3:51pm On Aug 03, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 7:54pm On Aug 03, 2021
Good evening everyone, before you buy the land please check if it is free from govt acquisition, over 50% of Lagos land is govt acquisition, be careful!.
For your Land Survey Service, call 08069018449. Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 9:09pm On Aug 03, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by LeaseManager: 9:20pm On Aug 03, 2021
Jasobry:

Which other one bros, even the colour centre sef I dey fear.. have you used betek by wichtech?

Contact @gbadexy to produce paint for you.
I have not seen anyone here, among many, who used his paint and regretted it.
I used it and the Paint is still shinning like new. No flaking as other houses painted after my own, with other type of paints.

My humble submission

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2021
n3xt:

The glass partition or any other creative divider introduced to break space doesn’t mean it’s no longer an open plan living. It’s just a creative way to redefine your space minus the walls.

Like I shared, I don’t have time to share stuffs I’d have shown lot of great examples from projects done here in Nigeria.

I have an open plan design overlooking a lap pool with about 8m wide glass wall. Because there’s a sliding glass door doesn’t mean it’s not open plan living. I can open all the glass and turn the space into one big space.

Is the partition not an enclosure either transparent or opaque? Or are u saying the divider is dwarf?
What's our definition of open plan then?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:59pm On Aug 03, 2021
LeaseManager:

I used it and the Paint is still shinning like new. No flaking as other houses painted after my own, with other type of paints.

My humble submission
I have seen his paint at one site I worked. Till now, I don't know how it was made and it's still shining

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:01pm On Aug 03, 2021
LeaseManager:

My humble submission
well said..,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:04pm On Aug 03, 2021
Horlardorjah:

Is the partition not an enclosure either transparent or opaque? Or are u saying the divider is dwarf?
What's our definition of open plan then?

Go to most malls, they have open plan design but partitions are created as needed to suit customers need.

See this multifold glass door below shared by rmx. It’s introduced to redefine space and also secure the rooftop lounge at night when the lounge is closed but during the daytime it’s opened to create one very large rooftop lounge.

I’ll try share one of my open plan pad plan here. It’s just a rectangular shape but if I share the pictures here, you’d think I’m inside 4 rooms. There were movable partitions
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oflaylay: 10:15pm On Aug 03, 2021
Please guys help me review this quotation for my borehole. Thanks in advance (The Quotation) 40mitres
(1) Cassing pipe:#13.500 per8..=#108.000
(2) Male and female sockets:11'#200per1=#2200
(3) Chemical #1500
(4) Riser pipe:13'#1400per1=#18.200
(5) Rope #4000
(6) Borehole cover #1000
(7) Interdab pump #72,000
(cool Workmanship #150,000
(9) total=#356,900
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enigmatic0426: 11:26pm On Aug 03, 2021
Is there bricklayer in d building to give me a 3bedroom bungalow quotation from foundation? Asap!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 12:32am On Aug 04, 2021
LeaseManager:

My humble submission

I used his paint also; all the colours came out beautiful plus my painter gave it a thumb up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gandkiss: 5:36am On Aug 04, 2021
UC92:

Consider
Hygiene
Maintenance
Air movement within your plot.
Privacy.
If you can't take care of all these it may not work out well.
Why not go for island kitchen?

How is an island kitchen like pls?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 6:19am On Aug 04, 2021
Enigmatic0426:
Is there bricklayer in d building to give me a 3bedroom bungalow quotation from foundation? Asap!
Call/Whatsapp +234 803 683 0677

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:53am On Aug 04, 2021
Is it only bricklayer that can give you the quotation?

Enigmatic0426:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 8:06am On Aug 04, 2021
Duplicate post removed

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 8:09am On Aug 04, 2021
gandkiss:
Good morning All,
Thanks

People will try and discourage you but go for it bro, I did and it makes sense. They will say it's not our culture, no privacy, they will have to offer visitors food when they want to eat, the heat will be overwhelming, the smell of food will be everywhere etc but it has turned out well.

1. Plan very well and be particular about where you want every item in the kitchen even during construction.
2. Make room for cross ventilation by adding extra windows to eliminate heat, include an a/c and in my case, heat extractor fans which is efficient and not bogus like the hooded vents.
3. You guys have to be neat people. In my case, madam is more obsessed with cleanliness and everywhere is always spotless.
4. Because the kitchen is like a show off, the equipments, pots and furniture must be solid and should ideally compliment the space e.g all the gadgets are black and chrome and some upper cupboards have no doors to arrange plates, pots, flower vases etc.

Best of luck bro.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 8:12am On Aug 04, 2021
Hire a Quantity Surveyor today and you will be glad you did.

As a prospective client or building owner, quantity surveyor should be your financial adviser on all aspect of your proposed build.

During a preconstruction stage, a Quantity Surveyor will advise your Architect on how to design within the client's budget. Most projects are abandoned because the architect's design is far above the clients budget. Most clients have a prior budget before embarking on construction of their building. It's saddening to see their projects abandoned due to a design that couldn't accommodate their budget. Be smart. Be proactive. Hire a quantity surveyor during the briefing and subsequent design stage.

After detailed design by the Architect, Quantity Surveyors will help prepare a firm Bill of Quantities that will establish the estimated cost of construction. This is a very useful and important document that will serve as the financial compass of the project. As a client, hiring a Quantity Surveyor independently will ensure that you get value for your money.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 8:16am On Aug 04, 2021
rotecch77:

I know it will work and I have some people with this design too,
So its possible to have two kitchens in a residential building like MAIN KITCHEN and SATELLITE KITCHEN 2 in 1 …..: you divide your food cooking systems into two.
But my take on it is that when we talk about typical NIGERIA kitchen where real local food will be prepare like EFo riro, Ofe Owerri. Edi nka ikon…. Real pounded yam …..FORGET about fully or partially open kitchen design it won’t work here YES I said so.
You can’t compare the way you cook Nigeria food here to the way you cook it in Florida, villa, Nebraska or Ottawa. Abii Iceland or Norway.

Have you actually lived in one for a while or these are just theories in your head using common sense. I'm surprised when I see people confidently say these things

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:17am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

People will try and discourage you but go for it bro, I did and it makes sense. They will say it's not our culture, no privacy, they will have to offer visitors food when they want to eat, the heat will be overwhelming, the smell of food will be everywhere etc but it has turned out well.

1. Plan very well and be particular about where you want every item in the kitchen even during construction.
2. Make room for cross ventilation by adding extra windows to eliminate heat, include an a/c and in my case, heat extractor fans which is efficient and not bogus like the hooded vents.
3. You guys have to be neat people. In my case, madam is obsessed with cleanliness and everywhere is always spotless.
4. Because the kitchen is like a show off, the equipments, pots and furniture must be solid and should ideally compliment the space e.g all the gadgets are black and chrome and some upper cupboards have no doors to arrange plates, pots, flower vases etc.

Best of luck bro.

I agree with you and they’ve already started discouraging him.

I don’t see how we have more offensive food odor than Mexicans, Indians and Arabs who live in open kitchens in the USA.

Some just like to pretend that Nigeria is somehow on Jupiter and unique.

If you live dirty and unorganized then I guess open kitchen won’t make sense. Just lock some poor innocent house girl in the dungeon kitchen I guess.

Me, I get turned on watching my partner do her thing in the kitchen sha.

PS: That’s a fantastic solution that you have there. I’m going to use a commercial extractor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2355) (2356) (2357) (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) ... (3661) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.