Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,025 members, 7,803,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2407) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4354749 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2404) (2405) (2406) (2407) (2408) (2409) (2410) ... (3658) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Inception(m): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Will it be full 36” or 33”? grin Ducking and weaving.

Seriously though, why can’t we make this in Nigeria? It’s straightforward enough.

Funny enough, the manufacturing process is very simple. More like how steel panels are manufactured in a car assembly plant (closed die forging)

The downside is that initial set up and tooling cost is prohibitively high. and high demand must be assured to be profitable.

At a time i was seriously thinking of designing and building a CNC plasma cutter (with a cutting table of 2.5mx 8m ) to offer metal design cutting services but Naija wahala no gree me embarassed

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:35pm On Aug 25, 2021
Inception:

Funny enough, the manufacturing process is very simple. More like how steel panels are manufactured in a car assembly plant (closed die forging)

The downside is that initial set up and tooling cost is prohibitively high. and high demand must be assured to be profitable.

At a time i was seriously thinking of designing and building a CNC plasma cutter (with a cutting table of 2.5mx 8m ) to offer metal design cutting services but Naija wahala no gree me embarassed

We have several people doing that business now which is cool but I’d love to see far more creative sturvs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dapotemi: 5:37pm On Aug 25, 2021
n3xt:

They’re still searching for my own Harley Davidson in the junkyard.

I’ll join you soon grin

Lol, this man just allow pepper enter my eyes now.....This one dem go reject am for baba lati car bike wash...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:38pm On Aug 25, 2021
Inception:

You’ll be surprised at the investment level that’s available on just this thread.

Form a corporation around a credible idea and offer to us. Just make the collateral the machinery.

Money in accounts makes no sense right now.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:40pm On Aug 25, 2021
dapotemi:

Lol, this man just allow pepper enter my eyes now.....This one dem go reject am for baba lati car bike wash...

Let them reject am, me I go take am. Room dey plenty inside garage. That’s about N5M to N8M once sorted out.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You’ll be surprised at the investment level that’s available on just this thread.

Form a corporation around a credible idea and offer to us. Just make the collateral the machinery.

Money in accounts makes no sense right now.

Too many money making ideas here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Will it be full 36” or 33”? grin Ducking and weaving.

Seriously though, why can’t we make this in Nigeria? It’s straightforward enough.

We can't make them in Nigeria as yet. We have three steel plants in Nigeria: Itakpe, Ajaokuta and Aladja. All are rolling steel plant. You need a flat steel plant for Complete Knocked Down sheet (CKD). This was the advice given to Obasanjo down to Shagari way back then in conceptualizing these projects.

The country does not need three rolling plants. At least one flat sheet plant was needed for CKD parts for car manufacturing plants in Ibadan (Laylands), Volkswagen in Lagos, Alumanco in Enugu and Peogeut in Kaduna. But as usual, they did not listen. Today, we know the rest.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:44pm On Aug 25, 2021
n3xt:

I know those doors will keep Turkey doors off our market if we have them in Nigeria.

Let me open discussion with the guy and see what I can come up with.
it will take more than materials to keep turkey doors off our market. From the tools, to the skills and branding. We still have a long way to go but this is a step in the right direction

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:47pm On Aug 25, 2021
michlins:
it will take more than materials to keep turkey doors off our market. From the tools, to the skills and branding. We still have a long way to go but this is a step in the right direction
It won't be long b4 the Tech and know-how jits us in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:48pm On Aug 25, 2021
diordaves:

We can't make them in Nigeria as yet. We have three steel plants in Nigeria: Itakpe, Ajaokuta and Aladja. All are rolling steel plant. You need a flat steel plant for Complete Knocked Down sheet (CKD). This was the advice given to Obasanjo down to Shagari way back then in conceptualizing these projects.

The country does not need three rolling plants. At least one flat sheet plant was needed for CKD parts for car manufacturing plants in Ibadan (Laylands), Volkswagen in Lagos, Alumanco in Enugu and Peogeut in Kaduna. But as usual, they did not listen. Today, we know the rest.

But we have access to rolled aluminum for roof so we can also get rolled steel or even aluminum in extra thickness.

I think the high cost in in the pressing and distribution.

I could be wrong.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:48pm On Aug 25, 2021
michlins:

We are getting there bro. I know quite a number of guys who pay premium for locally built doors (steel or wooden).

I mean good money.

I know a client here whose bedroom doors (local) cost 230k each as at 2012.

I agree we need the skills and materials but I think the tools makes the big difference.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:55pm On Aug 25, 2021
erico2k2:

It won't be long b4 the Tech and know-how jits us in Nigeria
the tools are very important. Up till now,we still do sanding manually.

But with the tools available, we're doing quite well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:11pm On Aug 25, 2021
michlins:

You’re talking to class captain of the section. He’s Oga for tools here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:24pm On Aug 25, 2021
michlins:
Please stop �what long way, my brother if you don’t know seek knowledge many of these things are made right here in Nigeria. We argued some of these stuffs last year. Here we go again, just like tiles, pvc pipes, pop cement, W’c ceramic, Led lights switches, electrical distribution boxes, best of its all Nigeria electric cables still one of the best in the world till date. I can go on and on guys with many many more items designs and manufacture here. Stop being deceived with those Foreign labels

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:24pm On Aug 25, 2021
Still available for sale till August 30th
500CAD is equal to 395USD

Out right sales not auction. Minor scratch not junk You can even make an offer. Still looking for a cheaper one at the junkyard.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:26pm On Aug 25, 2021
Inception:

Please do what you can.Do not underestimate the Nigeria market you’ll be surprise the little knowledge you have that you can add value to the market space. It’s an opportunity for you to create your own empire in manufacturing process. I understand the process is very easy and cheap in terms of plasma cutting CNC programming for Complicated designs. Nigeria is market for new ideas.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:45pm On Aug 25, 2021
michlins:

My brother all the tools are available in Nigeria it is our that are not investing in them, they artist-son Prefer to invest their money in pepper soup instead. Many of them are not ready to learn how to used those tool even when you make it available for them, to improve their knowledge and make life easier for them

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:48pm On Aug 25, 2021
sonnie10:
Still available for sale till August 30th
500CAD is equal to 395USD

Out right sales not auction. Minor scratch not junk You can even make an offer. [s]Still looking for a cheaper one at the junkyard.[/s]

This will do for me.

When are you shipping sir? Remember your promise o!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2021
kopell:
Please do what you can.Do not underestimate the Nigeria market you’ll be surprise the little knowledge you have that you can add value to the market space. It’s an opportunity for you to create your own empire in manufacturing process. I understand the process is very easy and cheap in terms of plasma cutting CNC programming for Complicated designs. Nigeria is market for new ideas.

I couldn't agree more.

Nigeria is a land of opportunity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2021
kopell:
Please stop �what long way, my brother if you don’t know seek knowledge many of these things are made right here in Nigeria. We argued some of these stuffs last year. Here we go again, just like tiles, pvc pipes, pop cement, W’c ceramic, Led lights switches, electrical distribution boxes, best of its all Nigeria electric cables still one of the best in the world till date. I can go on and on guys with many many more items designs and manufacture here. Stop being deceived with those Foreign labels
here's the difference between the aforementioned goods and doors, while educated and rich people with exposure handle the former, you see making of iron doors, it's still left for crude,semi literate and unexposed people.

Just the other day, someone came to my shop arguing it is better to use hand saw to cut pipes instead of angle grinder. I tried to tell him otherwise and he reminded me he started this job long before I knew it existed.

Having said that, there was at least ₦500 price increase in price of materials I work with yesterday. Like every individual iron increased by at least ₦500. Some were as high as ₦700. I don't know where we go from here and what happens to quotes already submitted
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:52pm On Aug 25, 2021
kopell:
My brother all the tools are available in Nigeria it is our that are not investing in them, they artist-son Prefer to invest their money in pepper soup instead. Many of them are not ready to learn how to used those tool even when you make it available for them, to improve their knowledge and make life easier for them
get me tools to make sanding easier. I will pay for it. Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:55pm On Aug 25, 2021
kopell:
Please do what you can. Do not underestimate the Nigeria market you’ll be surprise the little knowledge you have that you can add value to the market space. It’s an opportunity for you to create your own empire in manufacturing process. I understand the process is very easy and cheap in terms of plasma cutting CNC programming for Complicated designs. Nigeria is market for new ideas.

I’m going to PVC windows pretty soon. The aluminum window market is too saturated.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:15pm On Aug 25, 2021
n3xt:

I’m going to PVC windows pretty soon. The aluminum window market is too saturated.

Onsite aluminum roofing.

1) No transportation issues.

2) Exact lengths cut onsite.

3) Less waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLr6orBINjE

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 8:24pm On Aug 25, 2021
n3xt:

PVC has its own issue.
I've being there n don't think I still want to go that lane. The companies ain't that much around this days too

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:26pm On Aug 25, 2021
Horlardorjah:

PVC has its own issue.
I've being there n don't think I still want to go that lane. The companies ain't that much around this days too

Please share the issues if you can. It was the in thing in the USA some years back.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Onsite aluminum roofing.

1) No transportation issues.

2) Exact lengths cut onsite.

3) Less waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLr6orBINjE

This is what we call cool!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:35pm On Aug 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Please share the issues if you can. It was the in thing in the USA some years back.

Co-asking

@Horlahdorjah

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 9:05pm On Aug 25, 2021
diordaves:

Pls I will sincerely like to know

Are you saying the sheets proforce, innosson and other assembling guys use for their vehicle assembly are all imported ? Cos that's like saying everything in a car is imported.
Is there no company that produce sheets for vesicle roofs and doors and sides ?

Na metal sheets most of these busses innoson assembles are made off.
I will really like to know

Sometimes it still baffles me that dangote is building a refinery, shey he is that archaic or not willing to innovate or just choosing the safe way?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:25pm On Aug 25, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Are you saying the sheets proforce, innosson and other assembling guys use for their vehicle assembly are all imported ? Cos that's like saying everything in a car is imported.

Sometimes it still baffles me that dangote is building a refinery, shey he is that archaic or not willing to innovate or just choosing the safe way?

Excellent questions.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:51pm On Aug 25, 2021
spyder880:

Try this my customer.

Will take note of this address if I go to Ogidi.
I have once used your referral ( electrical at Kenyatta). Good guy then... Oforma or so

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:57pm On Aug 25, 2021
ceelog:

Will take note of this address if I go to Ogidi.
I have once used your referral ( electrical at Kenyatta). Good guy then... Oforma or so

Ofoma is cool. I like them quiet and honest.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Nigeria does not have a flat sheet plant. We only have rolling steel plants to make stuff like rod if we could get them to produce.

This was a big issue in the 70s when Obasanjo administration was implementing the import substitution strategy that brought about Ajaokuta and DSC Aladja. Economists argued then that building a Russian rolling steel plant (Ajaokuta) is a white elephant project. Investing in a flat sheet and aluminum extrusion plant is a better option. From a rolling steel plant you can only make rebars (rods) but with flat sheet plant you can make a whole lot of stuff like car parts, aircraft parts etc. But they didn't listen.

They didn't listen because in the 70s Nigeria was booming. There was the cement armanda, cement was cheap. Very cheap. Nigerians were building houses up and down the country, housing estates were being built in the Federal Capital Lagos eg FESTAC Town. Julius Berger was building fly overs all over the Federal Capital Lagos. The then government thought this boom will go on forever, so as part of the import substitution strategy, Ajaokuta, Aladja and Itakpe were proposed to produce rods to feed the building boom. 50 years down the line we all know what is Ajaokuta today.

So yes. Innosen import parts as CKD and then assemble. Innosen like so many car manufacturers all over the world is an assembly plant. The parts and engine block come from all over the world.

All roofing sheets manufacturers in Nigeria import the roll sheet and then cut and press into the roofing sheets for sale to the public.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2404) (2405) (2406) (2407) (2408) (2409) (2410) ... (3658) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: money121(m), Itzkingtimmy(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.