Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2633) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4367117 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2630) (2631) (2632) (2633) (2634) (2635) (2636) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Temi1(m): 3:22pm On Dec 07, 2021
rotecch77:
plastering of this project is still in progress
The front part of this building will received tiles while few others part will received Tyrolean
Well done sir! Please how much does it cost to do tyrolean render per sqm?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Famousguy2(m): 3:40pm On Dec 07, 2021
Blessedsunny2:
Spanish products, New arrival 60 by 60
Good morning house still your blessed sunny the Spanish dealers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abudu2000(m): 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2021
saydfact:

If you follow my thread, I'm a standalone - I'm not part of a 'cult' - I've only being here twice or thrice this year (2021) because I was tagged self.... grin grin grin

any supervisor that advices you to do a 75mm thick FOUNDATION with 1:4:8 is a QUACK..... the best you can do is fire him...

sorry, but I cant call a shovel a spade....
I'm not defending quackery but clients are the ones encouraging it just like the ikoyi collapsed building. You want a cheap contractor because he said a foundation of 3m can be achieved with 1m and now you wonder why the blinding is 3inches, hahaha you are lucky to get a blinding. Just stay 3days without visiting your site i bet you that building will be at roof level.
Contractors are the reason for building collapse. The drawings are correct but the execution is the problem.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:14pm On Dec 07, 2021
Temi1:
Well done sir! Please how much does it cost to do tyrolean render per sqm?

$1 excluding materials
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 4:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
rotecch77:

$1 excluding materials
O ga ooo, so na dollars we are spending in naija naw?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:51pm On Dec 07, 2021
kopell:
O ga ooo, so na dollars we are spending in naija naw?
Lolz. Don’t mind me my oga
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 5:00pm On Dec 07, 2021
BlushPink:
Greetings to all the engineers and contributors in the house. I've learnt alot in the last couple of days reading different threads in property section cause as I'll be staying the foundation of my 1 bedroom flat bungalow this week.

I need clarification and info on this.
1. What types/size of granite do I use for foundation concrete
2. The supervisor said 70-80mm thickness is enough for the foundation concrete since I'm not decking or build a storey building as against at least 100mm.
3. For the mix, he said: 1:4:6. (Is this mix good enough?)
4. What's the avarage charge for block setting. And which is better between paying perday or based on the number of blocks used.

Please I'll need your input on this.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer!

1. No comment

2. No comment

3. Please read my back comments, I posted on proper ratio of concrete mixes. Those are standards worldwide. Those standards explain why some people have to redo the motorways in their premises every other year or even sooner. Those standards also explain why a house might fall or have issues when it ought not to

4. This issue came up when I wanted to build. If you must mold your own blocks then you need enough space to lay out the blocks, you also need to water those blocks for a couple of days (I have forgotten how many) which means you must have a reliable source of water, and finally security for those blocks. If you don't have all of these in place, just get commercial blocks.

Good luck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 5:00pm On Dec 07, 2021
Abudu2000:
I'm not defending quackery but clients are the ones encouraging it just like the ikoyi collapsed building. You want a cheap contractor because he said a foundation of 3m can be achieved with 1m and now you wonder why the blinding is 3inches, hahaha you are lucky to get a blinding. Just stay 3days without visiting your site i bet you that building will be at roof level.
Contractors are the reason for building collapse. The drawings are correct but the execution is the problem.

GBAM - well said.
A LOWER QUOTATION IS NEVER A BETTER QUOTATION automatically ….

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Temi1(m): 6:19pm On Dec 07, 2021
rotecch77:

$1 excluding materials

Noted. Please how much will it cost including materials. Need your best price as I am currently considering doing this. Also in Naira please. smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 7:54pm On Dec 07, 2021
The house should please help me criticize this plan. suggestions and corrections are welcome.

Pic 1-Ground Floor
Pic 2-1st Floor

CC
saydfact
mufutau55
EgunMogaji2
spyder880
gbadexy
Josnac
heymus
Richardjcooper
yosmen

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:59pm On Dec 07, 2021
Temi1:

Noted. Please how much will it cost including materials. Need your best price as I am currently considering doing this. Also in Naira please. smiley

If it’s Lagos/ ogun state give us $2.5 to deliver it with materials that is if it’s above 50sqm area .

Haa why Am I talking in dollars today sef
———-
Sorry N1400 per meter

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
BlushPink:

4. What's the avarage charge for block setting. And which is better between paying perday or based on the number of blocks used.

Please I'll need your input on this.

I believe you got answers to other questions posed.

For foundation, I’d pay per day and not based on the quantity of blocks used.

I’m sure good masons won’t even agree to paying per blocks with you during foundation stage
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2021
Blessedsunny2:
New arrival Spanish products 60by120
Is still your blessed Sam building materials

Do you have a supplier in Warri maybe?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:44pm On Dec 07, 2021
n3xt:

I believe you got answers to other questions posed.

For foundation, I’d pay per day and not based on the quantity of blocks used.

I’m sure good masons won’t even agree to paying per blocks with you during foundation stage
Absolutely correct.

But once you cross Ondo state boundary with Edo far east they always go for counting
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2021
twinskenny:
true o … but this old man really try here

Tried to get a contract out of that school.

The kickback was just too much. The back and forth was much too.

After squeezing total project cost, then expecting to pay kickbacks too..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:07pm On Dec 07, 2021
mssiah:
Hello I have gotten the attached estimate from my tiler. Please can some one guide me on cost of Labour and the quantity of tiles needed

My advice.

To lower tiling cost, you do not have to tile your whole kitchen from top to bottom. Why not just do a 1m girth tiling between top and bottom cabinet?

Your kitchen is 9m² which means it's most likely ( 3m x 3m).

The height of your wall is most likely 2.7m. That means the 36sqm for kitchen wall is excess even if you're tiling everywhere (There's 3m allowance for door space and window space).

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
rotecch77:
The front part of this building will received tiles while few others part will received Tyrolean
welldone, is there a blueprint that you are following, something like the 3d design and specifications or are you doing point and build? Nice work once again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:32pm On Dec 07, 2021
Abudu2000:
your recommendations where great but asking him to fire his supervisor isn't that too extreme? You ppl should not turn this propety section to a cult pls. Stop turning dimming ppls light.
not just only that i believe the guy misquoted the supervisior how can the supervision say 100mm, 70mm, he probably added extra zero to 7mm and 10mm....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:42pm On Dec 07, 2021
nannymcphee:
The house should please help me criticize this plan. suggestions and corrections are welcome.

Pic 1-Ground Floor
Pic 2-1st Floor

CC
saydfact
mufutau55
EgunMogaji2
spyder880
gbadexy
Josnac
heymus
Richardjcooper
yosmen
Poor representation, basic symbols are missing, the flow is not looking good, i will always recommend that the designer should always furnish the spaces, so we can understand the relationship between the furniture and spaces. Brb

.... The floor plan looks good, perhaps it could even look better, i like that you provided a big window for the central lobby to provide lighting, kudos, the parlour and dining is properly ventilated and natural lighting will not be lacking, however i feel the dining is too small, i will recommended 2700mm, a small dining set for 6 would be 800mm for table, 2x400mm for the chairs on both sides, then a minimum of 350mm for leg space, if you sum it up, movement will be neary impossible around the dining.

For the kitchen, it is narrow too, but that will depend on your the type of kitchen layout you choose, to maximise the space you have there, i suggest L shaped, and would be better if the door is moved closer to the door nearer to the dining.

For the bedrooms having a mutual wall, i think it would be much easier for plumbing if the toilets are side by side. The rooms seems to be designed not to use beds with headboard, the spacing between those windows will mean no headboard, but that would be unfair for the master bedroom, i suggested you give a minimum of 1800mm as spacing between two tiny windows in the masters bedroom for headboard.

The upper floor is no no please redesign
Why is the wall layout going zigzag. In practice it best you stick to the grid concept, it is easier to build. look at the wc locations and the door locations. To be sincere if you continue with this design you will end up breaking already built walls, also ensure a good structural engineer does a critical study of this design and take his advice and recommendations serious, even that of a mechanical engineer too. I wish you well

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 9:53pm On Dec 07, 2021
nannymcphee:

Pic 1-Ground Floor
Pic 2-1st Floor

CC
saydfact
mufutau55
EgunMogaji2
spyder880
gbadexy
Josnac
heymus
Richardjcooper
yosmen

In as much as I know my opinion will have little or no impact on the final outcome of this design, I must say without mincing words intending homeowners or developers should try as much as possible to engage Architects to render quality Architectural services.
This particular design here has failed in almost every aspect of basic Architectural consideration:
Climatology
Design Economics
Functional flow.

Please ask your designer these questions
1. Why do you need two staircase for this design?
2. Why is non of the functional spaces cross ventilated?
3. Why the shape of the floorplan?

Your entry point seem like a hideout to me. The essence of your anteroom is defeated. I wish I could talk to whoever did this one on one.
Good luck ma.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BlushPink: 10:57pm On Dec 07, 2021
BlushPink:
@ saydfacthttps || abdulwastecx || fegeitok|| n3xt
Thanks for your detailed contribution. I really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BlushPink: 10:58pm On Dec 07, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nannymcphee(f): 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2021
UC92:

In as much as I know my opinion will have little or no impact on the final outcome of this design, I must say without mincing words intending homeowners or developers should try as much as possible to engage Architects to render quality Architectural services.
This particular design here has failed in almost every aspect of basic Architectural consideration:
Climatology
Design Economics
Functional flow.

Please ask your designer these questions
1. Why do you need two staircase for this design?
2. Why is non of the functional spaces cross ventilated?
3. Why the shape of the floorplan?

Your entry point seem like a hideout to me. The essence of your anteroom is defeated. I wish I could talk to whoever did this one on one.
Good luck ma.

Thanks alot BrickDevo.

@ UC92 Your input is valued.

This following thread will give you my history. I have engaged and paid 3 architect so far.

https://www.nairaland.com/6168555/please-kindly-criticize-3bedroom-plan (1st Architect)

https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything/2288#103081162 (2nd & 3rd Architect)

The 2bedroom/1bedroom BQ was redesigned by N3xt. (Architect 3)

I didn't give N3xt this 3bedroom to review/redesign, wanted to start with the BQ.

The BQ will soon be roofed and I am thinking of starting the foundation of the 3bedroom. I was intimidated with the cost of starting the 3bedroom but the experience of the BQ has allayed that. This is why i am bringing it to the house for review. it appears i will be needing a 4th Architect. so all reviews are highly welcome

On the issue of two staircase, I requested for it. I wanted an entry and exit point for the 1st floor(in case of emergency and also, the need to be able to exit/access the house without visitors knowing you have come in or what you are bringing into the house)

For the other 2 questions, I dont have the answer to them.

Attached is a rough site plan, Rightside (BQ) is developed with those spacing. Leftside is undeveloped but those spacing are what MUST be maintained upon development. Arrows shows where the building is facing/will face

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 11:16pm On Dec 07, 2021
nannymcphee:
Hello to the house, earlier on I brought my plan for criticism, lots of input was made by the house. 1st image is my original drawing, second image was produced by N3xt.

Construction has begun, unfortunately I wont be able to share the pics for some reasons. It's a 2bedroom & 1bedroom apartment as shown from the drawing.

Materials purchased so far

1.2300pcs of 6" Hollow granite dust blocks @N280

2.1000pcs of 6" Hollow sancrete machine vibrated blocks @N260
(I didn't like what I saw compared to the granite
blocks, so I will use this for fence)

3.60Ton of sharp sand @110,000

4.30Ton Granite @3500per Ton & 70k Tfare

5.40 bags of cement @3700

Bush clearing was just 3k cos a large portion of the land had human and vehicular traffic so the cleared part was used as a mini farm/garden

EgunMogaji2
n3xt
Adegunle4
yosmen
Josnac
Heymus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 11:17pm On Dec 07, 2021
nannymcphee:

Pic 1-Ground Floor
Pic 2-1st Floor

CC
saydfact
mufutau55
EgunMogaji2
spyder880
gbadexy
Josnac
heymus
Richardjcooper
yosmen

You people should endeavor to always attach your site plans as well so we can now if design was born out of shape/size of site n also ways to improve on it.
Too tired to look through tonight n hand filled up too, I think brickdevo has pointed things out. That should be a starting point

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 11:26pm On Dec 07, 2021
Horlardorjah:

You people should endeavor to always attach your site plans as well so we can now if design was born out of shape/size of site n also ways to improve on it.
Too tired to look through tonight n hand filled up too, I think brickdevo has pointed things out. That should be a starting point
this correct

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 12:03am On Dec 08, 2021
nannymcphee:

Pic 1-Ground Floor
Pic 2-1st Floor

CC
saydfact

Evening... I'll take a look tomorrow, its midnight here. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 12:07am On Dec 08, 2021
BUILDING IRON AVAILABLE FOR SALE

payment on delivery

16mm ( 52 pieces) per ton

12mm ( 93 pieces) per ton

10mm (133 pieces) per ton

8mm (133 pieces) per ton

call or WhatsApp 081-82481552
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by donforeign: 12:15am On Dec 08, 2021
rotecch77:
Nice house but dislike the roof
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by donforeign: 12:26am On Dec 08, 2021
Am about to wrap my pillars with this because its more matured but am contemplating if I should use it or use the brick tiles that is reigning now? Ur suggestions pls..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 12:32am On Dec 08, 2021
donforeign:
Am about to wrap my pillars with this because its more matured but am contemplating if I should use it or use the brick tiles that is reigning now? Ur suggestions pls..
use this, this's nice, our bosses in the house will also contribute their quotas
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:58am On Dec 08, 2021
donforeign:

It's a good one. The bros is calm, soft n gentle
just match with colors that will complement it n u good to go

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2630) (2631) (2632) (2633) (2634) (2635) (2636) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: FemiHKE(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.