Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3096) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4367450 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3093) (3094) (3095) (3096) (3097) (3098) (3099) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 9:50am On Aug 11, 2022
It depends on your floor plan, pitch (slope) and design of your roof.

jieta:
House please i need help, how many square meters of roofing sheet will be enough for two bedroom flat and three self contained.

I know is after roofing that i can get the exact results but I'm kind of scared considering how things are rising every day

Anybody who has passed through this stage should please assist me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 10:45am On Aug 11, 2022
QSFemi:
If you want quick help, post the dimensioned drawing (working drawing).

I will get this when I get to the site..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 10:46am On Aug 11, 2022
hamtabfawaz:

The wall needs to be measured, to get the total Sqm. Once the total Sqm is known, it's easy to know the amount of materials you'd need.

Where is your Site located?

It's in Benin, Edo state.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Akerewe(m): 11:03am On Aug 11, 2022
rotecch77:

For a good and appropriate height use 2 blocks course plus the beam under slab making the height 3….. which mean from lintel top you will have about 2.5ft which is ok

Same height was used here and after Pop ceiling I still have adequate room height ( pics attached)

For the column you asked if you are using
Ratio 1:2:4 you will need 1.5 approx bag of cement
Means the total 16 pillar will be 16*1.5bags =24bags
Add waste like 2bags or so… =26bags of cement

Thanks chief
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:08am On Aug 11, 2022
All smart switches available

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Akerewe(m): 11:26am On Aug 11, 2022
cry
rotecch77:

For a good and appropriate height use 2 blocks course plus the beam under slab making the height 3….. which mean from lintel top you will have about 2.5ft which is ok

Same height was used here and after Pop ceiling I still have adequate room height ( pics attached)

For the column you asked if you are using
Ratio 1:2:4 you will need 1.5 approx bag of cement
Means the total 16 pillar will be 16*1.5bags =24bags
Add waste like 2bags or so… =26bags of cement

God bless you immensely for the breakdown analysis chief,

Please like how many tons of granite and Sharp sand should I b looking at in casting 16 pillars of 9", inches and all the beams? Is soft Sand necessary in mixing concrete for pillars and beams?

And also likely cement bags for the upper beams @ the mixing ratio above 1:2;4
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 2:28pm On Aug 11, 2022
twinskenny:
All smart switches available

Good morning boss
What's your take on all these sockets with USB ports?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:26pm On Aug 11, 2022
bobkezel:

Good morning boss
What's your take on all these sockets with USB ports?
they are good chief if you can get the original one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 3:47pm On Aug 11, 2022
Thanks for your contributions sir, it's highly appreciated
1. The 100 by 100 by 100 mould was constructed using wood and marine board. Though, later we realized a metal mould should have been used instead

2. For the curing, we used the borehole water we dug on site. Though, the water is not entirely pure as recent test shows a pH of around 5.6

3. Trial mix was not run on the materials used on site. That's because random vendors does the supply of materials.

4. The mix ratio used was 1:1:2 (Grade 25). The Quality control was excellent because of the thorough supervisor that was our in place. We had so many Engineers on site checking the quantities of each of the aggregates being poured in the mixer machine for every batch.
N.B- BUA cement was used throughout the casting period.

5. The Company that ran both NDT tests are registered with the Lagos State Material Testing Lab

6. Retrofitting is not an option as you have rightly said

7. We have engaged the Company to write us a STABILITY letter to serve as a back up to the genuineness of the NDT test.

Thanks once again for your time.

Amastermovic:

Hello,
Kindly show me sample of your mould in which you placed your sample and how was it cured?

Next time make sure your mould is fully tighten and immerse cube completely in clean water..

Remember to Always run trial mix with supplied material to site and always prevent this caster to determine your mix ratio,

1:2:4 on site will never achieve grade 25 on site unless under strictly control condition in the laboratory..

On the issue of ultrasonic and rebound test , if the team are registered with lagos state materials, then engage a structural Engineer to verify the chart used for the conversion of both data and ask him to write your Consultant to carry out NDT independently on their own remember you will pay the fee to confirm what your own previous team carried out,..pending on this..

Remember he may not allow retrofitting options because project is too young to start retrofitting you may need to count your lost and redo this column as they fall short of the required grade stated.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 6:56pm On Aug 11, 2022

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:14pm On Aug 11, 2022
Plastering here will be completed soon
Questions are welcome

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Coiner: 7:29pm On Aug 11, 2022
Godisgreatest1:

It is very much okay to have a Masters bedroom with the arrangements you mentioned. The only problem is that it requires you to spend extra for 1 additional exit door Instead of the usual 2 doors exit for a bungalow. Thank you.

True. Extra cost.
But I guess it's worth it.

Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by flexyonline: 8:00pm On Aug 11, 2022
Blessedsunny2:
Spain tiles for sale here (blessedsunny2)
@blessedsunny how much for the tiles in the last frame. The small square pattern
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2022
flexyonline:

@blessedsunny how much for the tiles in the last frame. The small square pattern
Out of stock sir,similar of it, in stock 45by45
Spanish product, is this
7,500 per square meters

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timmzycul11: 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2022
rotecch77:
Plastering here will be completed soon
Questions are welcome
Good work sir, please how many rooms are in this duplex and how parlors with the other utilities? Lame man question am not into building engineering o. Just following here to update my knowledge concerning that
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:47pm On Aug 11, 2022
Two battery tubular battery..
4 535w Canadian panel
2kva inverter.

Etc

We set this up today.. just to power some appliances

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:55am On Aug 12, 2022
Timmzycul11:

Good work sir, please how many rooms are in this duplex and how parlors with the other utilities? Lame man question am not into building engineering o. Just following here to update my knowledge concerning that

6 rooms in total
Kitchen
Store
Ante room
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kkonsults: 10:04am On Aug 12, 2022
Kambols95:
Thanks for your contributions sir, it's highly appreciated
1. The 100 by 100 by 100 mould was constructed using wood and marine board. Though, later we realized a metal mould should have been used instead

2. For the curing, we used the borehole water we dug on site. Though, the water is not entirely pure as recent test shows a pH of around 5.6

3. Trial mix was not run on the materials used on site. That's because random vendors does the supply of materials.

4. The mix ratio used was 1:1:2 (Grade 25). The Quality control was excellent because of the thorough supervisor that was our in place. We had so many Engineers on site checking the quantities of each of the aggregates being poured in the mixer machine for every batch.
N.B- BUA cement was used throughout the casting period.

5. The Company that ran both NDT tests are registered with the Lagos State Material Testing Lab

6. Retrofitting is not an option as you have rightly said

7. We have engaged the Company to write us a STABILITY letter to serve as a back up to the genuineness of the NDT test.

Thanks once again for your time.

It’s better you redo the columns at this early stage, 5 floors is a lot of load

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 10:10am On Aug 12, 2022
ADVICE NEEDED, I wish I can run this on a separate thread but it is what it is.

I started building this house on the first land I got, a gated estate in a serene environment but electricity is bad (once in a month kinda light) and the road leading to the estate too is not quite good though the neighborhood is the most populous area in the state capital.

The Goal deep down was to build the biggest in the area so it was a duplex with around 10rooms (2 living rooms, office, library, gym, and laundry room inclusive) 8 toilet/bathrooms, kitchen, and store. And by God's grace, we were able to do everything including plastering, wiring, plumbing, burglary, and window with the main doors fixed, and we were left with normal interior and exterior finishing. That was when my eyes cleared!!! I became wiser and I already have like 2 other lands in better estates with better electricity.

The house became too big and my taste changed to something smaller and simpler, my mind already moved out of the environment due to the electricity ish and how populous the area is (the house is noticeable from all angles and it stands out while I am just a single young guy).

That was how I abandoned the project in 2020 till I make up my mind.

I went there today and my mind broke, the property and the works we've done are wasting away, and my money is wasting away.

I need your advice, should I complete the house (which will gulp 20M + in this tough economy, money I can use to do better business) and rely on Generator and Solar for the rest of my life.

Or I should sell it and use the money to build something smaller and simpler.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:51am On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

I started building this house on the first land I got, a gated estate in a serene environment but electricity is bad (once in a month kinda light) and the road leading to the estate too is not quite good though the neighborhood is the most populous area in the state capital.

The Goal deep down was to build the biggest in the area so it was a duplex with around 10rooms (2 living rooms, office, library, gym, and laundry room inclusive) 8 toilet/bathrooms, kitchen, and store. And by God's grace, we were able to do everything including plastering, wiring, plumbing, burglary, and window with the main doors fixed, and we were left with normal interior and exterior finishing. That was when my eyes cleared!!! I became wiser and I already have like 2 other lands in better estates with better electricity.

The house became too big and my taste changed to something smaller and simpler, my mind already moved out of the environment due to the electricity ish and how populous the area is (the house is noticeable from all angles and it stands out while I am just a single young guy).

I went there today and my mind broke, the property and the works we've done are wasting away, and my money is wasting away.

I need your advice, should I complete the house (which will gulp 20M + in this tough economy, money I can use to do better business) and rely on Generator and Solar for the rest of my life.

10 rooms and this was built when you were single?
Are you planning on marrying 5 wives?

How about remodeling the house into a twin-duplex and either put them up for rent or outright sale since your heart is no longer in that area?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 11:04am On Aug 12, 2022
somehow:

10 rooms and this was built when you were single?
Are you planning to marry 5 wives?

How about remodeling the house into a twin-duplex and either put them up for rent or outright sale since your heart is no longer in that area?
1)4 rooms, 1 gym, 1 library, 1 office space, 1 meeting/conference area, 2 sitting rooms. I was being futuristic when I started it, eyes don clear now.

2)Another person suggested turning it into a 4 flats building, but I just don't know how that will work since the staircase is inside already. My mind is on selling, but family do not want me to sell.

Thanks for the contribution Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abudu2000(m): 11:12am On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

1)4 rooms, 1 gym, 1 library, 1 office space, 1 meeting/conference area, 2 sitting rooms. I was being futuristic when I started it, eyes don clear now.

2)Another person suggested turning it into a 4 flats building, but I just don't know how that will work since the staircase is inside already. My mind is on selling, but family do not want me to sell.

why sell when you can easily convert it to smaller apartments and put them on rent. Contact me let's work on remodeling the structure sir. Don't sell off oh or you will run at a loss, in this recession real estate is the best investment.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

Oh now I understand.
you can sell since you have plans building elsewhere or just remodel to what's obtainable and can earn you income sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 11:29am On Aug 12, 2022
Abudu2000:
why sell when you can easily convert it to smaller apartments and put them on rent. Contact me let's work on remodeling the structure sir. Don't sell off oh or you will run at a loss, in this recession real estate is the best investment.
Okay, send me a mail.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itsrm(m): 11:46am On Aug 12, 2022
somehow:

Oh now I understand.
you can sell since you have plans building elsewhere or just remodel to what's obtainable and can earn you income sir.

Has n3xt paid you?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abudu2000(m): 11:47am On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

Okay, send me a mail.
I really don't understand nairaland mail feature but my number is on my signature, if you can share the floor plan we can decide the most economical way to remodel your existing structure.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 11:47am On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

If your mind is no longer there, sell and use the fund build your new taste in one of the other estates.
It's difficult to live in a place you don't like.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 11:53am On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

complete the project. That 20ml might not start and complete the "something simpler"

Another thing that can happen is that election is around the corner and a favourable government will come and fix both the road and light issues in the estate

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 12:01pm On Aug 12, 2022
Abudu2000:
I really don't understand nairaland mail feature but my number is on my signature, if you can share the floor plan we can decide the most economical way to remodel your existing structure.
Okay, I will reach out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 12:02pm On Aug 12, 2022
michlins:
complete the project. That 20ml might not start and complete the "something simpler"

Another thing that can happen is that election is around the corner and a favourable government will come and fix both the road and light issues in the estate
Thanks Chief for the contribution, I appreciate it.

Amen! I indeed wish and pray so

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:17pm On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

To me I will advise to convert it to rented apartment like, mini flat, 2/3bedrooms flat, duplex. Etc

The one I did was two building initially building A is flats while the second building is Eatery.
But later the cleint got another land in a well suitable environment for the eatery…. Boom we converted the building to flats

Now we have 2 units of 2bedrooms up and down section we have 2 units of mini flat and one giant mage store.

https://www.nairaland.com/6487704/construction-contemporary-eatery-fast-food/9#114858932

You can reach out to us for more questions on how we did it

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:19pm On Aug 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

I think this is the information you need to reach a decision:

#OPTION 1
So completing the structure will cost 20 million. So what are you completing for? You don't want to reside there. Is it completing to rent? Can you find a tenant that will pay good money at its current design? Is it completing to sell? For what are you completing? You need to answer this question.

#OPTION 2
Completing by remodeling to individual modern one bedroom apartments. This is more profitable than the four flat approach. Now how much will it cost to remodel? How's rental in the area despite the poor social amenities? If the area makes for a strong rental, this option might be a superior option to just completing for completing sake.

#OPTION 3
Sell the carcass. Now, how much do you think the property will go for? You need to be realistic. The romance is over. Now is time for cold hard economics. How much will the property command and how long will the property be in the market before you find a buyer? At this point, then ask yourself what will you do with the proceeds of the sale? Is there a sure investment you will plunge the proceeds into that will fantastically more than compensate for the foregone property? It is a situation of opportunity cost and alternative use of money. If you sell just to deposit the proceeds in a bank, inflation will eat the money. At the end of the day, you will not have your property and you will not have your money. Inflation don eat everything. One the flip side, if you don't sell, the property will "eat" inflation and increase in value over time. You need to weigh and process these options.

#OPTION 4
Do nothing. In this situation, you need to adopt late Chief Abiola's middle name: KASHIMAWO meaning; make we just dey look am. Time will tell.

You adopt this stance when all the above options didn't make the cut.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3093) (3094) (3095) (3096) (3097) (3098) (3099) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: doncafu(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.