Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4351485 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (3655) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2015
abouzaid:
don't make me laugh. in such a design, sacrifices must be made while trying not to deteriorate the living experience. when land is extremely small like this, i aim for a minimum setback of 14.5 feet in front to achieve adequate parking and atleast 6.5 feet else where for adequate circulation and ventilation. if you check online, you would discover that many counties require a minimum setback of as little as 3 feet so what i do is still within reason. designing for a small plot is not easy but as 50x50 plots become more common due to rising land costs, we must adapt.

I get you bro.. you on point...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:48pm On Aug 26, 2015
erico2k2:

No its not in Nigeria yet its actually made in the Uk by someone an ex builder who just woke up one morning and made it,Im glad it inspired you like you clearly said, its quite simple yet its impact on the work field is amazing.its cost of 3 sets is £25

very cheap....its look good
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:55pm On Aug 26, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Yes eventually it will be faster but there will be a learning curve until they get used to not just slopping mortar all over the place like a messy toddler eating mac and cheese grin
ahah true, the one I got angry at was at my Dad's house during the plastering underneath the decking, the mortar keep falling off as the kept stamping it, it was trial and error method grin grin grin, I think the sprayer would have been better
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:57pm On Aug 26, 2015
EgunMogaji:

50X50 should take a few of these, yes? grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, so the only way is UP
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Aug 26, 2015
abouzaid:
it's actually becoming more common now. if you build for the poor and the lower middle class, you would experience where people buy and split lands in desirable but costly locations here in the north.
hmm noted, so its best we build rising structures then angry angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:12am On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:
now lets move o n, who has seen the tool for placing cement on bricks?

Is there one like this equipment for hollow blocks? Please search and post.
If you can post the link to obtain them, that will be dandy too. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 1:37am On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

50X50 should take a few of these, yes? grin

My boss once told me.. " you buy the land, but nobody owns the air" so when the land isn't adequate, go up.. but the fear of reinforced concrete slab (decking) here in Nigeria though..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:00am On Aug 27, 2015
darenyx:

My boss once told me.. " you buy the land, but nobody owns the air" so when the land isn't adequate, go up.. but the fear of reinforced concrete slab (decking) here in Nigeria though..

My greatest fear is waking up one morning to find one of Spyders special being constructed next to me. One of his 4 story edifices where the upper stories cantilever to near the property line grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:58am On Aug 27, 2015
segcymoor:

Hmmn. Unemployment!

Hmmm @ segcymoor u hit that nail for head. Unemployment oooo. Hunger go kill people for this one.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 7:31am On Aug 27, 2015
darenyx:

the cost of reinforcement iron bars is unjustifiable expensive in Nigeria since the obasanjo administration, however, the beauty of building in Nigeria is that you can build in phases so that's why i designed two bedrooms downstairs so that the owner can have an accommodation for his family while saving up for a few years to complete the structure. unfortunately, i don't expect this current regime to achieve much in cutting down the cost of building materials due to the seeming closeness of the likes of dangote to his regime. we sincerely have to look for alternative building materials in this country if we want to own a house with the type of politicians we have here.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On Aug 27, 2015
mufutau55:

Is there one like this equipment for hollow blocks? Please search and post.
If you can post the link to obtain them, that will be dandy too. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Noted boss will do so.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:01am On Aug 27, 2015
spyder880:
What a thread! Imagine the ideas! I am watching and waiting patiently for the much needed mechanisation of our building processes, no need for anyone to fight change, let us all embrace it and try to adapt.
But I will be sad if Nigeria changes you guys. I expect a full day by day detail of the upcoming project EgunMogaji, we are praying it will be a good success. I will then build my next house alone, who needs to pay workers when I can DIY.

This comment is laden with sarcasm. Am I the only one seeing it? grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:07am On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:

Noted boss will do so.

I will really like to own one of that.. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redcurry(f): 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2015
podosci:
You have to remove the cost of an engineer that would supervise the job by personally supervising it yourself from start to finish, get a very simple architectural plan ...Remove DPC(German floor), do a very simple and low gable roof, locate the building in a very good location to cut the cost of foundation, cheap labour. When you done with your analysis, Upload it let's analyse and disect
these are what I intend doing. can I upload mine as well for analysis too?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2015
2X4 wood stud is $2.79 and the equivalent steel stud is $3.98, a $1.19 premium. This is retail price but I can probably do better if I can find wholesale which I can/will grin My Ijebuness is proudly international.

Now to calculate and compare all three (masonry) for a sample wall of 10X12'
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 27, 2015
redcurry:
these are what I intend doing. can I upload mine as well for analysis too?

Self supervision really is the only way to go. You control quality (can put a stop to nonsense stuff like "we'll clean it up during finishing" ), speed and lower cost of materials (some people think their materials is embedded with gold grin ).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:16pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Self supervision really is the only way to go. You control quality (can put a stop to nonsense stuff like "we'll clean it up during finishing" ), speed and lower cost of materials (some people think their materials is embedded with gold grin ).

You are very correct. And that is where we are been duped by all this so-called contrators and family members; because we are not on ground to monitor our projects. Yes, Self supervision really is the only way to go, but circumstances is the hindrance.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 27, 2015
abouzaid:
do you mind sharing your building plan with me? here's my email greenermodels@gmail.com. the way you keep describing your plan really keeps raising my interest.

You can see the 3D's at http://villageheadmaster.com/forums/topic/designing-and-building-my-bungalow/

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 27, 2015
mufutau55:

You are very correct. And that is where we are been duped by all this so-called contrators and family members; because we are not on ground to monitor our projects. Yes, Self supervision really is the only way to go, but circumstances is the hindrance.

Hajji M.

I've purchased tickets for trips for 2016 due to this trust situation, I will absolutely lock up the site on my way out and no sending money home for work. The shame is that the money for the flight would have gone a long way towards the house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

We have to apply the correct tool to solve the correct issue. It seems in Nigeria all we have is hammer so all our issues looks like nails.

To meet pesky Egunlas ridiculous timeline I suggest this grin

Truck arrives on site having been mixing the concrete enroute, can pour the blinding in 15 minutes flat grin

But yes Baba Ijebu can't afford a one off operation like that but imagine if there were many blindings to be done that day on various sites wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 4:02pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

We have to apply the correct tool to solve the correct issue. It seems in Nigeria all we have is hammer so all our issues looks like nails.

To meet pesky Egunlas ridiculous timeline I suggest this grin

Truck arrives on site having been mixing the concrete enroute, can pour the blinding in 15 minutes flat grin

But yes Baba Ijebu can't afford a one off operation like that but imagine if there were many blindings to be done that day on various sites wink

I don't know why I join cool covos like this late.

Thanks Mr HajjM for this...just what I'm.looking for.

I'm all for positively pushing for change as regards construction methods. But I have to down the enthusiasm here just a little bit.

Olashang said equipments are expensive. He's right. But that's not the real reason why you're not seeing many contractors using all the up to date tools and mechanisms.

Acquiring some of these tools/ machineries is not the problem. Many Nigerians have such money to even spend on a fanciful sports car, so what militates against the Nigerian contractor in getting them machines? Basically three or four issues.

I'll be using the example or the concrete mixer with pump you put the picture there. Contractors are also business people so here goes:

1. Fitting the machine into the construction process

2. Maintaining the machine.

3. What's the cost benefit?

4. Client requirements.

1. If you have a process that works with a scope schedule and quality requirements, why change the process? In other words, unless a process requires and demands the change, it won't be necessary especially for a business man. Any contractor that acquires a particular machine must have use for it.

To use a concrete mixer and pumps on some projects for instance, you'd have to do trial mixes per cement type, per grade of concrete and per height/floor of building. You'd have to do test pumps of those trial mixes while construction is going on. This is to not just to see how the pumps cope but to see how the concrete cope with the variables. If there are issues with the pumping, provision has to have been made for alternatives, and you must know how to flush you concrete pipe within 15mins or you lose it.

2. I won't get a concrete mixer and concrete pump when I'll have to do the following:
A. Get a quality control lab for test mixes.
B. Get a maintenance department
C. Need to source for spare parts.
D. Train employees on the new process and on using the machines.
E. Stand the risk.of losing the trained staff to poaching .

The overhead cost for these won't be borne by the client here. And if Mr egunmogaji decides to pay, it doesn't mean the next client will, and so the equipment may be left unused while the company is drained of running cost maintaining the staff for that.

3 and 4 quite explains themselves.

In short a client that requires serious tool/ machine upgrade will have to face an overhead cost ascribed to government projects. How many clients will want to pay for that?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I've purchased tickets for trips for 2016 due to this trust situation, I will absolutely lock up the site on my way out and no sending money home for work. The shame is that the money for the flight would have gone a long way towards the house.
U can do what I did.get the basics on ground before you go there ie blocks. Bore hole etc.there are fee bits that are constant.yoy can pay area boys and all deve plus aproval money.so wen U land.one day excavation next day blinding
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Never mind the flight money... What you are doing is the best to do. Do whatever you can do when you are around. Keeps the vultures away.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2015
semitunde:

I'm all for positively pushing for change as regards construction methods. But I have to down the enthusiasm here just a little bit.

Olashang said equipments are expensive. He's right. But that's not the real reason why you're not seeing many contractors using all the up to date tools and mechanisms.

Acquiring some of these tools/ machineries is not the problem. Many Nigerians have such money to even spend on a fanciful sports car, so what militates against the Nigerian contractor in getting them machines? Basically three or four issues.

I'll be using the example or the concrete mixer with pump you put the picture there. Contractors are also business people so here goes:

4. Client requirements.

1. If you have a process that works with a scope schedule and quality requirements, why change the process? In other words, unless a process requires and demands the change, it won't be necessary especially for a business man. Any contractor that acquires a particular machine must have use for it.

To use a concrete mixer and pumps on some projects for instance, you'd have to do trial mixes per cement type, per grade of concrete and per height/floor of building. You'd have to do test pumps of those trial mixes while construction is going on. This is to not just to see how the pumps cope but to see how the concrete cope with the variables. If there are issues with the pumping, provision has to have been made for alternatives, and you must know how to flush you concrete pipe within 15mins or you lose it.

2. I won't get a concrete mixer and concrete pump when I'll have to do the following:

The overhead cost for these won't be borne by the client here. And if Mr egunmogaji decides to pay, it doesn't mean the next client will, and so the equipment may be left unused while the company is drained of running cost maintaining the staff for that.

In short a client that requires serious tool/ machine upgrade will have to face an overhead cost ascribed to government projects. How many clients will want to pay for that?

I'm struggling to understand you a bit.But I shall try my best.there are basic tools of the trade and there are pro tool.things like cement mixers are basics cos they have three parts engine .drum and gear.the engine is same as ur generator.the gears has your usual cogs. So its meant to be same maintanance cost as the humble generator in this case same as I pass my neighbour. If I was a Co tractor I will buy one of these N150k will land one frm the UK. To rent it in a day is N10. U can mix concrete and cement for rendering aka plastering.mix mortem for laying of brick.I will like to emphasise here that using this 15 times in diff days pays of the over head cost..
Now let's go to soil compactor. Cost brand new £300.might cost £159 to ship.this is at brand new.so landng price say N180k. Rental in a day approx N8. 20 times of usage pays it off.Go to the concrete poker it's even cheaper £110.All these machine has btw 3.5 hp and 5.5 hp ho da Engines so they use same parts as yoy petrol generator.So just imagine if U can remove all these cost frm the bills of your clients would t they be happy?plus your work will be professional.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2015
semitunde:

4. Client requirements.

I say the following with respect and I have no personal grievance towards you but you are the perfect example why Nigerian construction scene is static.

Your analysis is fraught with wrong assumptions, misunderstanding of equipment and shows a general lack of knowledge on construction as a business entity managed for growth. I won't even bother to do a line by line.

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:

U can do what I did.get the basics on ground before you go there ie blocks. Bore hole etc.there are fee bits that are constant.yoy can pay area boys and all deve plus aproval money.so wen U land.one day excavation next day blinding

Wow...great folks think alike as this is exactly what I've been doing/planning for the past week.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:

I'm struggling to understand you a bit.But I shall try my best.there are basic tools of the trade and there are pro tool.things like cement mixers are basics cos they have three parts engine .drum and gear.the engine is same as ur generator.the gears has your usual cogs. So its meant to be same maintanance cost as the humble generator in this case same as I pass my neighbour. If I was a Co tractor I will buy one of these N150k will land one frm the UK. To rent it in a day is N10. U can mix concrete and cement for rendering aka plastering.mix mortem for laying of brick.I will like to emphasise here that using this 15 times in diff days pays of the over head cost..
Now let's go to soil compactor. Cost brand new £300.might cost £159 to ship.this is at brand new.so landng price say N180k. Rental in a day approx N8. 20 times of usage pays it off.Go to the concrete poker it's even cheaper £110.All these machine has btw 3.5 hp and 5.5 hp ho da Engines so they use same parts as yoy petrol generator.So just imagine if U can remove all these cost frm the bills of your clients would t they be happy?plus your work will be professional.

You're not alone in not even following his ascertaitions, it makes zero sense to me both as a business owner and consumer and actually also as a small builder (using the term loosely).

Some get it (Brabus bought a dump truck, Soyder upgraded to using metal forms for pillars on some construction, Skimanski used reusable metal scaffolds instead of bamboo on a build), unfortunately some don't.

The opportunity to maximize profit is paramount over reducing the back breaking work of grunt work force and professional end result of the structure.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mexxy1(m): 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

You can see the 3D's at http://villageheadmaster.com/forums/topic/designing-and-building-my-bungalow/

Thanks.

The moment I saw the web address my suspiciouns were confirmed.
Somorin aka CityNG greetings to you.
You don't comment much on car talk these days. Why?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.
the website won't allow me to view the attached files despite the fact that i have registered and logged in.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mexxy1(m): 5:54pm On Aug 27, 2015
@erico2k2, are you sure of your cost analysis of those machines especially in Naira?
If yes, can help source and ship them?
I'm really liking what you're posting as regards the equipments and landing costs.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2015
abouzaid:
the website won't allow me to view the attached files despite the fact that i have registered and logged in.

Sorry but registration required activation and it was just done.

Please check again, thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 27, 2015
mexxy1:

The moment I saw the web address my suspiciouns were confirmed.
Somorin aka CityNG greetings to you.
You don't comment much on car talk these days. Why?

Greetings.

My building site is now my primary focus of time.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (3655) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ollykay619(m), psychologist(m), topsy23 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.