Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,375 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4297104 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (3644) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ckenneths(m): 11:06pm On Aug 27, 2015
What we want now, is someone to walk the talk. Someone to bring his land, money and lets build him a house with all these methods we are describing her, I know it will work perfectly, but who will bell the cat?

1. Foundation without over-site concrete
2. Slim partitioning walls made with anything but Nigerian bricks
3. Clay pot decking
4. No chain lintels
5. Aluminium parapet fascia
6. Aluminium roofing supports

Volunteers wanted urgently grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:09pm On Aug 27, 2015
KolaShangOne:

True. Quality of blocks need to improve. That's why I bought a block making machine as part of my equipments.. I started making just 30blocks per bag and had to pay more for sand from Bakoto. But it was expensive. The client couldn't afford it all through..

one day client called me and said "for the next building we are going to do, I will like to buy Ogo Oluwa blocks at 140". I just smiled and said OKay sir..
nice one grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:10pm On Aug 27, 2015
ckenneths:
What we want now, is someone to walk the talk. Someone to bring his land, money and lets build him a house with all these methods we are describing her, I know it will work perfectly, but who will bell the cat?

3. Clay pot decking
4. No chain lintels

Storey 4 the gods grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:

how about this method of slab?
grin,there is o ne hard part to it though

I brought this up on the https://www.nairaland.com/2406381/ask-all-questions-building-foundations thread

One of my houses in California was built with a floor similar to this.

I watch a lot of Brit building shows and this seems popular in UK.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:11pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Granted I don't know as much as most folks on here but this is what I know:

Unless I'm onsite and supervising the block making mixture then I simply cannot trust the strength of the blocks. That's if I can even trust the cement mixture itself - groaaan.

I'll rather spend the money now than later after I've moved in and all my shyte is in there.
Bross I B think say I harsh, U harsh pass me grin grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ckenneths(m): 11:11pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Granted I don't know as much as most folks on here but this is what I know:

Unless I'm onsite and supervising the block making mixture then I simply cannot trust the strength of the blocks. That's if I can even trust the cement mixture itself - groaaan.

I'll rather spend the money now than later after I've moved in and all my shyte is in there.

And that is why structural guys are adding as much columns as possible for supports. And even the strong solid blocks we are talking about, are they cheap? What made them produce the lower quality is us, when the owner beats down the whole prices?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 27, 2015
ckenneths:

3. Clay pot decking
4. No chain lintels

What about you Guvnor? grin

Have your wealthy land buyers pitch together and build a recreation hall in your community there wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ckenneths(m): 11:14pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

What about you Guvnor? grin

Have your wealthy land buyers pitch together and build a recreation hall in your community there wink

I will try as always, but nobody will want to risk government chasing him around because of a failed work, so they might refuse.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:14pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I brought this up on the https://www.nairaland.com/2406381/ask-all-questions-building-foundations thread

One of my houses in California was built with a floor similar to this.

I watch a lot of Brit building shows and this seems popular in UK.
Yes sir, this is what they use here, you know the british with their economization lol,they are finding new ways of reducing weight without compromising quality.However with strict building rules these slabs seem to rest on Steel H beams.U know i was saying there is just one problem,these requires heavy lift.So thats back to the Crane.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 27, 2015
KolaShangOne:

True. Quality of blocks need to improve. That's why I bought a block making machine as part of my equipments.. I started making just 30blocks per bag and had to pay more for sand from Bakoto. But it was expensive. The client couldn't afford it all through..

one day client called me and said "for the next building we are going to do, I will like to buy Ogo Oluwa blocks at 140". I just smiled and said OKay sir..

How much is the block?

Did you offer it to us on here or just to limited audience like clients?

If it's adequately priced, I'll decide after calculating price of materials and adding a prudent amount for labour, then I'll buy enough to do my foundation. Even if it's made of titanium alloy, there's still a price point for us consumers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:20pm On Aug 27, 2015
Here is my idea as regards block.Contractors stop using your eyes to gauge the amount of sand you need to mix one bag of cement,.Moulders stop pouring cement on a trip of sand and just mix from there thinking you can just shovel the right percentage needed.I think if you want a constant mix of cement sand and water to make blocks the best and only way is to put all three ingredient unto a mixer and mould with the resultant mix until this is done, no two blocks will carry equal strength, ie 1 bag of cement +xyz amount of sand and required water. am i correct or not?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:

Bross I B think say I harsh, U harsh pass me grin grin grin grin

When I start building my foundation you guys are all going to have a hearty laugh on me.

"What does this Baba Ijebu think he's building, miniature Cocoa House?" because I'll be overbuilding.

I'll worry about armed robbers, snakes, or festival, etc the last thing I want to be worried about when I lay my head down on the pillow is if the whole shebang is going to come down. And some homes have come down in Ibadan.

I have a picture somewhere of a 2 study house under construction that just tipped the frack over, I mean completely in tact grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ckenneths(m): 11:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:
Here is my idea as regards block.Contractors stop using your eyes to gauge the amount of sand you need to mix one bag of cement,.Moulders stop pouring cement on a trip of sand and just mix from there thinking you can just shovel the right percentage needed.I think if you want a constant mix of cement sand and water to make blocks the best and only way is to put all three ingredient unto a mixer and mould with the resultant mix until this is done, no two blocks will carry equal strength, ie 1 bag of cement +xyz amount of sand and required water. am i correct or not?

You are correct, but let me add that even when you use equal ratios and a mechanized mixing system, the results might still come out wrong if the operators are bad or packing wrongly done, many blocks crack at the point of lifting after they have been made.

And this is why I am careless about manual or vibrated blocks, some vibrated block makers will add more sand and hope the vibration will somehow make the blocks stronger,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 27, 2015
KolaShangOne:
Talking about overbuilding or imposing so much weight on foundations, I talked about the use of clay pots in my other thread and wanted Hajj Mufutau to volunteer his project for a residential test-run but FEAR FACTOR and Hajj pulled out.

Most home owners are afraid to try new methods and techniques.. I know EgunMogaji will disagree but its true. Its not their fault though because quacks abound and there's no punishment for failure or even killing people by a collapsed building.

Case of the Popular church that killed over 100 people. Both the. church owner and contractor are still walking free till today.

This is the era of change.. so new, practicable ideas are always welcome.

Trust me Sir, I'm up for trying new ideas. But they have to make sense to me as a non builder.

I just want to make those creative attempts in places where they can be easily corrected. Foundation once done is mostly done. We can change the roof coverings, the paint, doors and windows but not foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:30pm On Aug 27, 2015
The day you change foundation though.. That day won't come.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:41pm On Aug 27, 2015
erico2k2:

how about this method of slab?
grin,there is o ne hard part to it though

Looks like steel slab.
One major disadvantage of using steel for construction in Nigeria is HEAT. The kind of sun that beats us here ehn, after blocks and concrete absorbs heat during d day, then NEPA takes light during the night, my broda U go sleep for outside or run the gen all night..

Also, iron expands when subjected to heat. Even wood. During harmattan here, wood contracts. Take your mind back to linear expansivity in Physics. Its actually a very good alternative talking about going green.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:42pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Trust me Sir, I'm up for trying new ideas. But they have to make sense to me as a non builder.

There are so many alternative building methods to explore and I'm always using my personal project as a test model.

For instance, why must we do coping on fences? I even proposed this to one of my client recently and he felt I'm speaking tongues.

But here's what I did on my own fence. Ornamental works and we used some damaged PVC sheets to cover the block hollows and do a light cement screed over it. In the long run, I was able to save the cost of carpentary, iron bender, caster, plastering and the various material costs because the new method doesn't require this. And it's more beautiful!

Pics below:

1. Pic of a fence I found on Internet.
2 & 3. Installation pics
4. The fence after painting.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:47pm On Aug 27, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I just want to make those creative attempts in places where they can be easily corrected. Foundation once done is mostly done. We can change the roof coverings, the paint, doors and windows but not foundation.

Oga EgunMogaji.. Don't use Sir for me o.. Youre making feel like a colleague.. I'm still very far from retirement age grin

I agree. Foundations are the most important part of the house and should be the most expensive..

About the blocks, its actually based on request. I had the client tell me how many he wants us to make per bag of cement, took my own and calculated the cost for him.

@ericko2k2 Oga I don't know if they have been duping us oo.. But those machines are almost double the cost you posted above..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:00am On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Oga EgunMogaji.. Don't use Sir for me o.. Youre making feel like a colleague.. I'm still very far from retirement age grin

That is a "Colonial Master" way of bribing you in advance for that your "Engineer" we are going to be fighting about soon. smiley

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:02am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

But here's what I did on my own fence. Ornamental works and we used some damaged PVC sheets to cover the block hollows and do a light cement screed over it. In the long run, I was able to save the cost of carpentary, iron bender, caster, plastering and the various material costs because the new method doesn't require this. And it's more beautiful!

I like this alternative way of doing the coping... so what type of PVC was used.... may be more pics of the installations will provide more lectures. Thanks.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:05am On Aug 28, 2015
mufutau55:

That is a "Colonial Master" way of bribing you in advance for that your "Engineer" we are going to be fighting about soon. smiley

Hajji M.

I'm on the floor in laughter over here cheesy

My coworkers knows me well, they say anytime I call them Sir or Guvnor or Chief that a favor is coming up grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:11am On Aug 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I've been a long term proponent of other than concrete lintels on here. We can use steel for lintel. Heck wood can be used on small spans.

The lack of strength of local blocks, some not all, is real.

Also the already doubtful strength of the block is now compromised at plumbing and electrical stage by having life bashed out of them by Monsuru and Alimi grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2791566_rps20150827183315_jpege21c2f90f795211a62e90491c45418cf

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:23am On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Looks like steel slab.
One major disadvantage of using steel for construction in Nigeria is HEAT. The kind of sun that beats us here ehn, after blocks and concrete absorbs heat during d day, then NEPA takes light during the night, my broda U go sleep for outside or run the gen all night..

Also, iron expands when subjected to heat. Even wood. During harmattan here, wood contracts. Take your mind back to linear expansivity in Physics. Its actually a very good alternative talking about going green.
Nah they are concrete slabs moulds. I shall try and take foto of a real life one.I know where they are using them near my house..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:28am On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:

I agree. Foundations are the most important part of the house and should be the most expensive..

About the blocks, its actually based on request. I had the client tell me how many he wants us to make per bag of cement, took my own and calculated the cost for him.

@ericko2k2 Oga I don't know if they have been duping us oo.. But those machines are almost double the cost you posted above..
I shall post exact dale page and even give U numbers to call.as at today's rate the naira is trading 350 to the pound. It's my bed time now.I shall get bck to you 2morrow. Good night everyone and God bless.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:41am On Aug 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm on the floor in laughter over here cheesy
My coworkers knows me well, they say anytime I call them Sir or Guvnor or Chief that a favor is coming up grin

I know and can read you like money... we are both born in Ibadan o. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:48am On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:
Talking about overbuilding or imposing so much weight on foundations, I talked about the use of clay pots in my other thread and wanted Hajj Mufutau to volunteer his project for a residential test-run but FEAR FACTOR and Hajj pulled out.

I wasn't that scared o. If it could save me money on the decking and safe I would have gone for it.
But Abdulwastecx whom I trusted to do it is very busy in East and North to come to Lagos, and I don't know anyone else I could trust or anyone that ever even mentioned that "clay ribbed slab" to me. Also as a poor man, taking risk with new implementation without engaging a good professional is not easy, it's costly to fix anything than to construct it. Those are my dilemma. The decking is still not done yet anyway.

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:55am On Aug 28, 2015
mufutau55:

I like this alternative way of doing the coping... so what type of PVC was used.... may be more pics of the installations will provide more lectures. Thanks.

Hajji M.

I'm not lucky with those old pics. The job was done in early 2013 and painted last year. But the PVCs are just offcuts of the regular types. We just used them to cover the block hollow spaces before pouring the concrete.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:08am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

I'm not lucky with those old pics. The job was done in early 2013 and painted last year. But the PVCs are just offcuts of the regular types.
We just used them to cover the block hollow spaces before pouring the concrete.

Thanks. I will look into way of implementing it. The sides mould is a precast concrete?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 1:26am On Aug 28, 2015
mufutau55:

Thanks. I will look into way of implementing it. The sides mould is a precast concrete?

Hajji M.

Yes it is.

Materials needed:

1. Cement
2. Sharp Sand
3. Plywood (to make the templates)
4. Water
5. Binding wire
6. Concrete Nails
7. PVC sheets or Any other items to cover the block holes.
8. Skilled artisans to cast the precast belts and a bricklayer to finish the top surface.

You can drive down the cost of doing a coping using this method by 50% when you compare the cost with the traditional method and materials needed.

1. Various sizes of planks
2. Nails
3. 8mm or 10mm iron rods
4. Binding wire
5. PVC sheets or any other materials to cover the block holes
6. Sharp sand
7. Gravel or Granite (1/2 inch down)
8. Cement
9. Carpenter
10. Iron bender
11. Casters
12. Bricklayer to plaster after casting
13. Extra cost of plastering
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:15am On Aug 28, 2015
True talk..same here

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:19am On Aug 28, 2015
More of it

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:27am On Aug 28, 2015
rotecch77:
True talk..same here

Oh! Yes Rotecch77. My friend's place. But you did not use PVC for the coping of this, right?
I know you can save me some money on this later anyway... smiley

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (3644) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.